Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,178 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Interesting-experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Interesting-experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates . (910 Views)

15 Parties, Five Presidential Candidates May Boycott Elections / 9 Presidential Candidates In Secret Talk With Jonathan - Tribune / The Top 3 APC Presidential Candidates To Watch Out For! - CramJones exclusive! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting-experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates . by ahidjo: 2:32am On Mar 27, 2011
Experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates .

AS 2011 elections draws near, brand experts have begun to weigh brand visibility and proficiency of presidential candidates in the next general election.

According to brand experts, who spoke with The Guardian, President Goodluck Jonathan is a controversial brand.

The experts, however, see consistency and performance brand strength in both Congress for Progress Change (CPC) presidential candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari and presidential candidate of The All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), Ibrahim Shekarau.

Most brand experts consider Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) presidential candidate and former boss of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, as political greenhorn, who may not satisfy Nigerians when elected.

DDB Creative Manager, Chuka Obi, noted that Jonathan might have been divinely ordained to rule Nigeria. He said that Jonathan has not developed into a brand, but a product. He noted that Jonathan is the perfect example of a product with a perfect unique selling proposition (USP) and high market anticipation with zero performance upon trial.

While product is the end result of a manufacturing process to be offered to the marketplace to satisfy a need or want, brand is the identity of a specific product, service, or business.

Obi said: “Jonathan as a brand is playing what I term the superstition card. It looks like he was divinely ordained to be President. However, with a name like Goodluck .I believe there is a problem because there is no such thing as luck in spiritual circles; only favour, time and chance. So I think his luck card is all played out. His ethnic card is also fast evaporating as far as the learned people of Nigeria are concerned.

“All he has now is major top of mind awareness that comes with being the incumbent president. But from the viewpoint of identity, I believe Jonathan has none because it is hard to hold on to any unique attribute. His D’banj debacle was an epic failure, and insult to the consumers. Jonathan is a product, but not a brand, at least not yet. He only evokes sentiments and no clear-cut expectations as far as perceptions go. ”

Obi likened Ribadu to Baygon insecticide. He noted that although the brand could kill cockroaches on application, but could leave trail of destruction as after effect. He nevertheless prefers fireworks in Ribadu to gentility in Jonathan.

“Like the famed insecticide, we do not really care as long as he (Ribadu) gets the job done. He is not as articulate as I would have liked him to be, but as in the case of Baygon, we pick the deadly efficiency of Ribadu over the refined yet questionable results of a Mobil aerosol (Goodluck). Ribadu’s value consistency enjoys highest top of the mind share, stemming from the nature of his work at the EFCC, the far from quiet circumstances encircling his departure and the recent nature of that organisation, “ he said.

The creative manager said Buhari would only be a strong brand to contend with if only he would change communication method and campaign strategies.

He said: “Buhari’s consistency is as much a plus as it is a problem. Buhari has not changed in any way. His values and messages have remained credibly consistent. Unfortunately, so has his communication. As a person and as a candidate trying to inspire people to bank on him, he needs to inject some ‘GTBank (modern) approach into his strategy and jettison his ‘Afribank’ (old school philosophy) approach. He needs to be more interesting because whether he admits it or not, consumer engagement is fundamental. He can not talks at people anymore, he has to talk with them; no matter how impeccable his message or selling proposition is.”

Shekarau, according to Obi, is “ like Cowbell or Viju milk of the race, who sneaking up among already established players. He tiptoes into the political race using the element of surprise. However, the sustenance phase of his campaign will determine how long the success of this new brand will last. And Shekarau’s work in Kano shows that he is pretty consistent as far as values and speech are concerned.”

According to another brand expert, Ilesanmi Brillow of Atele Communications, Jonathan is not a flawless brand. Brillow sees Ribadu, Buhari and Shekarau as good brands.

On their brand attributes, Brillow said Jonathan is calm and “not desperate for power” .He added, “Buhari is disciplined and strong minded, just as Ribadu is known to be fearless, restless and vigorous.” Shekarau, he said, thought to be inconsistent in the face of the public, “is liberal minded and sound.”

Brillow said: “Jonathan stands for a continuation of PDP mediocrity and which, is not consistent as a brand. I would liken him to Yale Biscuit that is not consistent in production. Buhari, who is known to be consistent, is a nemesis for corrupt politicians and a real switch to a new order. He is like a Close Up brand, which is ubiquitous (everywhere). Ribadu is fairly consistent and appeals to the young generation desirous of change. But he may have challenges with the older generation. I would liken him to GTBank brand. Shekarau stands for bright, intelligent leadership whose reasoning capability is excellent. He is like Chivita that is consistent, but hardly makes issue out of the consistency.”

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Travland, Chuma Obi, said Jonathan is faced with identity problem. Buhari, he noted, is a progressive brand, just as Shekarau is an unsophisticated progressive brand.

Obi said: “Jonathan represents the establishment. I cannot ascribe identity to him. His projected values are not complimentary as he is willing to dine with the devil to get what he wants. He has connected with the ignorant public, but to the discerning, he has not connected. He is like Goody Goody candy.

“Buhari represents progressive politics. I identify him with integrity and determination. The values he projects are worthy and noble. He has been able to connect very well with the public like Maltina brand. Ribadu represents another arm of the establishment. The value he projects is also noble as he connects well with the public. Shekarau represents progressive politics and is identified with success and determination. He connects well with the public, but unfortunately he is provincial.”

Another brand expert, Olufemi Popoola said that both Jonathan and Ribadu are stooges of ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo. He noted that Buhari forte may be his conservatism.

He said: “Jonathan is Obasanjo’s stooge. Buhari stands for the old school politician. Ribadu is also Obasanjo’s stooge, who is inexperienced in politics. Shekarau stands for new breed politicians who are articulate.

“Jonathan is a flat character, I think his name, Goodluck, and his quick rise on the political ladder best describes him. Buhari symbolises the conservative Northern values and old school politics. Ribadu is known as the action man, but as young and new school politician. He appears to be a candidate of compromise like Wilfort Dark Ale. Shekarau is a little unknown in the South. He, however, is a witty and convincing politician, with a track record of exemplary leadership in Kano.”

Olufumbi Lehmann said Jonathan brand strength lies in incumbency power. He considers Buhari and Shekarau to be intelligent political brands, just as he noted that Ribadu is over confident.

Lehmann said: “Jonathan has the leverage of an incumbent president, but has no idea of his own. He is lucky to be where he is. Buhari is a smart and experienced politician, who is after corrupt rulers of this country. He deserves a chance to rule because of his reliability, doggedness and determination. He is sensible. Ribadu is over confident and aggressive politician, who has nothing to offer. He is a confused politician, who should not rule us. He has not handled a project of national significance as far as I am concerned. Shekarau is a technocrat and very intelligent. But this is not enough to rule us, though he has done well for Kano State in the last eight years.”

Korede Quadri, another political consumer, sees convincing brand attributes in Buahari and Shekarau.

“The most unique presidential aspirant in the 2011 is Buhari. He is a disciplined person who headed Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) with an indelible mark of honesty and judicious use of funds. I have never heard anything bad about Buhari. He is like the reliably Honda brand of car, which looks fragile on the surface, but tough and rugged in performance. Jonathan is a figure head that has been able to campaign because of incumbency factor, which makes money and campaign machinery possible for him.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42728%3Aexperts-weigh-brand-strengths-of-presidential-candidates-&catid=192%3Abrand-intelligence&Itemid=719
Re: Interesting-experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates . by Kobojunkie: 2:58am On Mar 27, 2011
ahidjo:

DDB Creative Manager, Chuka Obi, noted that Jonathan might have been divinely ordained to rule Nigeria. He said that Jonathan has not developed into a brand, but a product. [size=13pt]He noted that Jonathan is the perfect example of a product with a perfect unique selling proposition (USP) and high market anticipation with zero performance upon trial.[/size]

Obi said: “Jonathan as a brand is playing what I term the superstition card. It looks like he was divinely ordained to be President. However, with a name like Goodluck .I believe there is a problem because there is no such thing as luck in spiritual circles; only favour, time and chance. So I think his luck card is all played out. His ethnic card is also fast evaporating as far as the learned people of Nigeria are concerned.

“All he has now is major top of mind awareness that comes with being the incumbent president. But from the viewpoint of identity, I believe Jonathan has none because it is hard to hold on to any unique attribute. His D’banj debacle was an epic failure, and insult to the consumers. Jonathan is a product, but not a brand, at least not yet. He only evokes sentiments and no clear-cut expectations as far as perceptions go. ”

ROFLMAO!!! cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Interesting-experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates . by Kobojunkie: 6:21am On Mar 27, 2011
ahidjo:

DDB Creative Manager, Chuka Obi, noted that Jonathan might have been divinely ordained to rule Nigeria. He said that Jonathan has not developed into a brand, but a product. [size=13pt]He noted that Jonathan is the perfect example of a product with a perfect unique selling proposition (USP) and high market anticipation with zero performance upon trial.[/size]

Obi said:  “Jonathan as a brand is playing what I term the superstition card. It looks like he was divinely ordained to be President. However, with a name like Goodluck .I believe there is a problem because there is no such thing as luck in spiritual circles; only favour, time and chance. So I think his luck card is all played out. His ethnic card is also fast evaporating as far as the learned people of Nigeria are concerned.

ROFLMAO!!! cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Interesting-experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates . by homerac7: 11:22am On Mar 27, 2011
@ fstranger,

Haba! Bi a ba n b'ara wa ja, kii se bi ti k'aku! Oro buruku gba-aa ni o so si eni yen, ko si ye k'o ri be rara. Eto ni fun e lati toro idariji lowo eni yen ki o si ranti wipe oko t'a ba so ba ope l'ope n so pada. Aabo oro laa n so f'omo luabi,,
Re: Interesting-experts Weigh Brand Strengths Of Presidential Candidates . by Kobojunkie: 3:06am On Mar 28, 2011
Lehmann said: “Jonathan has the leverage of an incumbent president, but has no idea of his own. He is lucky to be where he is. Buhari is a smart and experienced politician, who is after corrupt rulers of this country. He deserves a chance to rule because of his reliability, doggedness and determination. He is sensible. Ribadu is over confident and aggressive politician, who has nothing to offer. He is a confused politician, who should not rule us. He has not handled a project of national significance as far as I am concerned. Shekarau is a technocrat and very intelligent. But this is not enough to rule us, though he has done well for Kano State in the last eight years.”

I don't see aggressive in Ribadu . . . I see someone who is passionate about a cause. However,I do not know how to translate that at the end of the day given he has chosen to align himself with Tinubu in order to get himself noticed at the national level.

(1) (Reply)

Obj Disgraced In Owerri : As Ohakim, Rochas’ Supporters Clash / Lagos-ibadan Expressway, My Priority –senator-elect / ‚ibb Is Not Wealthy Compared To This Criminals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.