Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,293 members, 7,829,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State (15274 Views)

Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State / Edo 2020: APC, PDP Crisis Gets Messier / Recruitment Crisis: Ig’s Fight With Police Commission Gets Messier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by adenigga(m): 10:33am On Dec 26, 2020
WITH the police deficient and the promised succour from the Western Nigerian Security Network known as Operation Amotekun yet to materialise, serial security breaches in Oyo State are inflicting a heavy toll on citizens. Kidnapping for ransom, highway robbery and herdsmen attacks are escalating to dangerous proportions in different parts of the state, affecting residents, expatriates and business. The governor, Seyi Makinde, will undoubtedly require new energy, initiatives and uncommon courage to overcome this messy security challenge.

Right through 2020, the state has witnessed high-level insecurity. At the weekend, the vast chronicle of breaches swelled up again after a female quarry worker was abducted in the Moniya-Ojoo area of Ibadan, the state capital. Damilola Agboola’s kidnapping comes a week after kidnappers seized two Indians in front of a pharmaceutical firm near the (old) tollgate on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. Shortly before that incident, a Lebanese, Hassan Mill, was rescued from the clutches of abductors. Unfortunately, a Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps officer lost his life in the operation, while a soldier sustained injuries.

In the north of the state, herdsmen militia, kidnappers and armed robbers have formed a sinister triumvirate. Recently, youths in Ibarapa staged a rally to protest against the gruesome killing of Fatai Aborode, a prominent farmer in the area, by robbers, and persistent herdsmen attacks. “The destruction of farms is massive and investors are losing huge amounts of money every day,” a youth leader said. “I am also a farmer and I know that there are at least three cases of farm plundering every day.” In October, the menacing agents grabbed the chairman of the Iganna Local Council Development Authority, Jacob Olayiwola, on his way to a meeting with the governor. A ransom of N200 million was demanded for his release.

This instigated Gani Adams, the leader of the O’odua People’s Congress, to warn twice in September that terrorists had infiltrated the forests in that part of the state and could launch major attacks soon. “I have confirmed intelligence reports that the historic Kisi town has been ravaged by terrorists,” Adams said. “(The) killing and kidnapping of over a hundred people are frightening and worrisome.” Adams’ call went largely unheeded as farmers and people are still unable to farm or attend to their businesses.

Insecurity is so extensive in Ibarapa and Oke-Ogun in Oyo North that in September, the traditional ruler of Iseyin, Adekunle Salau, urged the distracted Federal Government to find solutions. In truth, that is a waste of time. In Nigeria, the centralised policing system has failed woefully. With officer strength of about 370,000, a third of which has been deployed to guard VIPs, the police serve little or no purpose. Even the military, deployed in joint operations in 33 states, including Oyo, are overwhelmed, turning Nigeria into a vast killing field by Boko Haram, bandits and Fulani herdsmen militia.

Rather, a political ego drama is playing out between the federal security forces and the OPC. After some arrests in the forests of Oyo North in September, the parties both claimed they were responsible. This is superfluous; the hard-pressed people need tight security, not the arguments about its provision.

As early as January, the state had been witnessing horrific crimes. That month, a popular herbal medicine practitioner, Fatai ‘Oko Oloyun’ Yusuf, was shot dead by bandits on his way from Lagos to Iseyin where he had just opened a large business outfit. His death, like several others, was blamed on the usual suspects – herdsmen, kidnappers and robbers – who prowl the area unchallenged. In July, robbers stormed a new generation bank in Okeho in an 18-seater bus. They injured several people, including some police officers that responded to the attack. Fortunately, the town’s vigilantes apprehended some of them.

In tow, a series of incidents in Ibadan have exposed the weak security architecture of the state. An alleged mastermind of ritual killings in Akinyele LGA, Sunday Shodipe, escaped after his initial arrest from police custody to the consternation of communities he had terrorised. He was re-arrested about two weeks after. In June, robbers made life extremely unpleasant for different communities in the state capital, including Apete, where some students of The Polytechnic, Ibadan, reside. The felons, numbering about 20, invaded the community, robbing up to 40 houses.

As it is, it is unrealistic for any state government to be looking up to the centre for security. The bitter truth is that each state should develop and sustain its own security system or perish. The defining character of a great leader is courage. We have had governors like Lateef Jakande of Lagos, Bola Ige of Oyo, Sam Mbakwe of Imo and Abubakar Rimi of Kano, who demonstrated strong leadership at the state level. In the Second Republic, they never surrendered their governing powers to the centre. As Femi Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, argued recently, notwithstanding the shortcomings of the 1999 Constitution, there are some residual powers reserved for state governments, which have not been explored to promote the development of the country. He therefore advised the governors to insist on power sharing with the Federal Government with respect to the management of the economy and security of the nation as stipulated by the constitution.

Since Makinde spearheaded the formation of Amotekun early this year as a regional security force to address the shortcomings of the federal police, he has a strong anchor to leverage. He should go further to take up challenges that go against the grain of the present ineffective and clueless leadership at the centre. He should make decisions with the potential for revolutionary change in the state. His boldness in the Amotekun initiative has inspired other governors and energised citizens in the South-West. Makinde should seek legal advice from progressive lawyers on how to explore constitutional provisions further in securing the lives and property of his people.

In the true spirit of federalism, the Oyo State Government should strategically reinvent Amotekun, equip the corps and build it up to a dependable organisation. The key is to make the corps formidable enough to flush out the bandits and robbers hibernating in the state’s forests, and patrolling the intra-state highways and roads, maximising technology. The outfit should focus on security alone.

Crime is dynamic, but the hallmarks of a reputable security outfit include leadership and efficient coordination. To make Amotekun reliable, Makinde should not toy with these elements, but cast his net wide to integrate courageous and capable professionals into the system.
https://m.punchng.com/Editorial/Makinde-insecurity-is-getting-messier-in-Oyo-State

12 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by LogoDesigner01: 10:46am On Dec 26, 2020
Please is there no Omotokun in Oyo?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Mayng01(m): 10:47am On Dec 26, 2020
He who has ears let him hear

2 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Bkayyy: 10:53am On Dec 26, 2020
Good news. Atleast Amotekun will see work to do.

As we are signing out of this year, below is my announcement to all the people I've hurt this year with my comments on this forum. Especially my comrades from the waste side and Gworo side

9 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Lamasta(m): 11:14am On Dec 26, 2020
Governor Makinde should rise up to the task of securing oyo people o that is what you are elected to do not to come and be complaining

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by adenigga(m): 11:17am On Dec 26, 2020
Lamasta:
Governor Makinde should rise up to the task of securing oyo people o that is what you are elected to do not to come and be complaining

...like APC governments o!!!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by yarimo(m): 12:14pm On Dec 26, 2020
MAKINDE insecurity is getting messier in oyo state and you were busy welcoming OLD BUSES

4 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Lamasta(m): 1:27pm On Dec 26, 2020
adenigga:

All join grin

2 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by phransix2: 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2020
I remember when serving in Ibadan, and those touts at Oja Oba (Mapo) ends wanted to obtain me. They were surprised at what happened at the end. They never expected the fight it turned into...

2 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by vickydankal(f): 1:45pm On Dec 26, 2020
I wanted to say can anything good come out of APC? Then I remembered Gandollar and I withdrew.

May God keep protecting Nigeria until we all go our separate ways

3 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by NwaNimo1(m): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Godpikin4real(f): 1:46pm On Dec 26, 2020
I bed, the thing too long, couldn't read 2 d end.
Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by paulolee(m): 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2020
k
Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Patrioticman007(m): 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2020
What a trying moment for our dear country,
Amotekun has failed its duties just like FG & State governments.

2 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Nairalandwizerd(m): 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2020
Makinde is Buhari version 2, an unrepentant jihadist.
Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Incognito403: 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2020
adenigga:

Not everything is about party

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by BlessedNuel: 1:48pm On Dec 26, 2020
All the states in 9ja dey inside this circle..

nowhere dey safe atall..only Jah protects

1 Like

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Unik3030: 1:50pm On Dec 26, 2020
This is what happens when a thug in person of auxiliary is rulling because he helped d governor protect his votes.

Isn't it annoying when a thug can use siren anywhere he goes n the governor self no dey use siren.As in that's d only thing that makes me hates this yeye Seyi makinde

15 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by backnbeta(f): 1:50pm On Dec 26, 2020
BTW, where is Amotekun in all of this?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Nobody: 1:53pm On Dec 26, 2020
Jesus, this guy talks too much...more than he acts.

4 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by slimanyd: 1:53pm On Dec 26, 2020
BlessedNuel:
All the states in 9ja dey inside this circle..

nowhere dey safe atall..only Jah protects

Watch as those gullible Apc followers turn this thread to bashing GSM Like say nah only Ibadan or Oyo state dey face insecurity issues.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by ATEAMS: 1:54pm On Dec 26, 2020
Nawao
Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by happney65: 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2020
When I read this article yesterday at the Punch newspaper I just laughed..In the three states bordering oyo state Lagos,Ogun and Oyo,Oyo state is still the safest..

No administration has spent more on security than Seyi has since he came into power..He has empowered the police more than any other..He bought 125cars for the police.The RRS cars parked all over the city which can be reached by calling 615..He bought over 50 Big trucks for Amotekun,with hundreds of motorcycle..Got a Mobile Police station Squadron for AGO ARE to guide against insecurity at the Oke Ogun area..

This is the first time insecurity is Nationwide than now,Before it was in the North,But now it is Nationwide that led the SW Govornors to establish Amotekun..If it were to be perfect it won't have been the same.So I really do not know what seyi should have done?Maybe he should be the one to carry guns and run after criminals.

When some idiots compare seyi to Ajimobi and talk as if Oyo has always been 100% without crime I just laugh..Was it not under Ajimobi the 1million boys came?Was it not under seyi makinde the police killed their leaders Ekugbemi and others?.Was it not under Ajimobi honourable Sugar was killed?Did anybody blame Ajimobi for his death?Sugar was a member of the Federal House of representatives..Has his killers brought to book till date?

Was it not unde Ajimobi fulani herdsmen were running riots and killing people in the Oke Ogun part of Oyo state..I really do not know when people just say rubbish..Oyo state is still one of the safest places to live in Nigeria..Far more safer than Lagos or Ogun state..You can still walk freely everywhere..so when you see skirmishes here and there does not say Oyo state has gone to the dogs.It is not as if it is member so the NURTW that are fighting,Go to Major parks,You will see members of Operation Burst and the RRS Parked at the parks to forestall any breakdown of Law and order..

When a serial killer ran riot at Akinyele,Was he not picked up after he ran away from the police?Or when Soka ritual killing happened,Did anybody blame Ajimobi for the killings?

So people should speak with facts and not hearsay and propaganda.

Maybe we should blame oyetola for the fracas that happened in osogbo yesterday

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2020
There's insecurities everywhere

Why the special interest in Oyo State

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2020
Nice editorial from the Punch. Amotekun needs a lot of professional adjustments if they really want to flush out the bandits invading the south west and improve security of lives and property. The police is understaffed, undertrained and lack the willpower to fight for the common man, instead they victimize people for their own financial benefit.

Meanwhile, Buhari is not alive to his responsibility... we don't even feel his impact as president of the country, when he talks, you barely hear 5 sentences, always silent and obviously suffering from dementia. embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2020
TheLionofLasigi:
Jesus, this guy talks too much...more than he acts.

Did you even read the post? Most of you just read the caption and jump to the comments section. The report was from the Punch Newspaper itself about the security situation in Oyo State and SW in general and what the government must do to make sure the region is safe... Next time, try to skim through the text a little bit, mental laziness is bad. undecided

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Makinde, Insecurity Is Getting Messier In Oyo State by IamWonderful: 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2020
Baby factory people that are asking about Amotekun, tell me despite the present of police and the military personnel in your land, didn't you still carry out your bastardized acts of selling new born babies for ritualism and killing ladies and cutting their vital organs

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Seeks Speedy Trial Despite Court Vacation / Alleged Multi-Million-Pound Bribe: I Need Prayers – Diezani Cries Out / Senate Confirms Abdulrasheed Bawa As EFCC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.