Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,146 members, 7,849,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:56 AM

Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me (40921 Views)

Plateau Group Accuses Tallen, Dimka, Others Of Being PDP Mole In APC / How Sex Workers Ruined Dimka’s 1976 Coup Plan / Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 10:10am On Dec 29, 2020
Guestlander:

I said Murtala because he was behind the coup. This is a fact, Murtala and his gang merely chose Gowon to lead the junta. He came back nine years later to kick Gowon out, this is another fact.
You are getting everything wrong, do you think well trained officers who got their education both in Nigeria and overseas are so naive that they didn't factor in how to take over important military formations when planning a coup?
Sir, Ojukwu was never a threat to Nzeogwu when he took control of the north. The coup was totally successful in the north and that is why Ironsi had to negotiate a surrender rather than forcefully taking Nzeogwu.

So why did the coupist took over Enugu and Kaduna and tried to take over Lagos and Ibadan and not Kano? As in, you mean they didn't need to be in control of Kano Battalion as they took other divisions so as to be fully in control of the Army Stations? That would have been careless for well trained Military officers engaged in a coup.
Mind you, Nzeogwu and the bunch of the coupists when the best trained personnel from Sandhurst as at then. They knew what they were doing, but they failed to fully get control of the Army divisions that's why they failed.
Nzeogwu needed to take hold of Kano Battalion, but he couldn't.

We can go on and on with these argument and it won't help any of us.
So I will let you have your opinion, so l let me let the matter rest.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Guestlander: 10:34am On Dec 29, 2020
CharleyBright:

So why did the coupist took over Enugu and Kaduna and tried to take over Lagos and Ibadan and not Kano? As in, you mean they didn't need to be in control of Kano Battalion as they took other divisions so as to be fully in control of the Army Stations? That would have been careless for well trained Military officers engaged in a coup.
Mind you, Nzeogwu and the bunch of the coupists when the best trained personnel from Sandhurst as at then. They knew what they were doing, but they failed to fully get control of the Army divisions that's why they failed.
Nzeogwu needed to take hold of Kano Battalion, but he couldn't.

We can go on and on with these argument and it won't help any of us.
So I will let you have your opinion, so l let me let the matter rest.

The coup happened on January 15th, just two days after Nzeogwu and his gangs were in Lagos to surrender. This should tell you that a lot of things happened within that 48 hours.
Lagos was the prize, if Lagos had fallen the coup would have been successful regardless of what happened in Kano. The coup failed largely because they failed in Lagos though they were successful in other regions.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by odogwux(m): 10:59am On Dec 29, 2020
Guestlander:

Did Nzeogwu need to take Kano in addition to being in control in Kaduna?.

Even a boy scout will laugh at this kind of question. Kaduna was the capital of the north but the 5th battalion was the muscle. Kaduna had the NDA and training facilities and Nzeogwu worked there as an instructor but Ojukwu had the heavy weapons and a full battalion

As a soldier you think of securing your captured position. It was in 1967 that the 1st division was formed in Kaduna.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Aidejay(m): 11:59am On Dec 29, 2020
Olusegun obansanjo's close shave with death and his escape should fit well in a game of thrones esque tv movie. He has almost died so many times making me wonder if it's sheer luck or divine or is he just un killable.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Guestlander: 3:33pm On Dec 29, 2020
odogwux:

Even a boy scout will laugh at this kind of question. Kaduna was the capital of the north but the 5th battalion was the muscle. Kaduna had the NDA and training facilities and Nzeogwu worked there as an instructor but Ojukwu had the heavy weapons and a full battalion

As a soldier you think of securing your captured position. It was in 1967 that the 1st division was formed in Kaduna.

What prevented Ojukwu from marching to Kaduna and arrest Nzeogwu?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 4:37pm On Dec 29, 2020
thatigboman:
records have proven that obasanjo was the mastermind of the coup. Killed his oga and became head of state

Link the records please!!
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by odogwux(m): 5:07pm On Dec 29, 2020
Guestlander:

You are thinking like a lance corporal not an officer. Which is better, march to Kaduna for a confrontation and risk lives and equipment or simply lure Nzeogwu to Lagos and very easily arrest him like Ironsi succeeded in doing.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 5:22pm On Dec 29, 2020
Guestlander:

Ironsi and Ojukwu were part of the Coup!!!

Read this from Gen David Ejoor on how Ironsi tried to set traps for him on the day of the Coup and even sent a message to his 2ic in Enugu to take over as Ejoor was not coming back ( They expected the Coup Plotters to have killed him and were shocked when David Ejoor turned up alive )

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://maxsiollun./2009/04/17/igbo-soldiers-plotted-coup-from-independence-day-ejoor/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwix6svAyvPtAhWVs3EKHQFlDv4QFjABegQIDxAB&usg=AOvVaw2ra92QjclWuT9KTlsiEzyE&ampcf=1

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 5:58pm On Dec 29, 2020
CharleyBright:

What most Nigerians don't understand was the difficult situation Aguyi Ironsi faced then. Reading from various books about the Nzeogwu coup, I really felt (and almost cried ) for Ironsi.
He was in a midst of total chaos and surrendered by antagonistic Northern officers who felt his IBO tribe did a coup against the North, and he was also faced with the accusation from his IBO soldiers for not protecting them from the Northern reprisal attacks. To be Neutral and satisfy both ends was even perceived as a weakness on his part. At the end, the Northern soldiers didn't trust him, and his IBO soldiers didn't trust him either. Till today, some ibos don't celebrate Ironsi cos they almost take him to have betrayed them during that progrom.

That was why Ironsi didn't even hand back Power to the Civilian Government and Ojukwu was promising Allison Ayida a Permanent Secretary Ironsi would scrap the regions within 6 months.

Things were difficult for Ironsi because the Northern Soldier's and Ogundipe had found out that Ironsi and Ojukwu were part of the Coup that killed their Military Colleagues and Leaders!!!!

Read this from Gen David Ejoor on how Ironsi tried to set traps for him on the day of the Coup and even sent a message to his 2ic in Enugu to take over as Ejoor was not coming back ( They expected the Coup Plotters to have killed him and were shocked when David Ejoor turned up alive )

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://maxsiollun./2009/04/17/igbo-soldiers-plotted-coup-from-independence-day-ejoor/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwix6svAyvPtAhWVs3EKHQFlDv4QFjABegQIDxAB

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by odogwux(m): 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2020
Christistruth00:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://maxsiollun./2009/04/17/igbo-soldiers-plotted-coup-from-independence-day-ejoor/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwix6svAyvPtAhWVs3EKHQFlDv4QFjABegQIDxAB&usg=AOvVaw2ra92QjclWuT9KTlsiEzyE&ampcf=1

Ejoor that claimed he rode a bicycle from Benin to Lagos grin
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 8:40pm On Dec 29, 2020
odogwux:

Ejoor that claimed he rode a bicycle from Benin to Lagos grin

Have you not read about the Easterners who Claimed to have Walked from Northern Nigeria back to the Eastern Region mostly in the Night?

My Mother was a Student Nurse at UCH Ibadan at the time of the 2nd Coup in 1966 and she told me that for about 3 months after the killings wounded Easterners who had walked through the Bush all the way from Kano, Kaduna, Zaria were still turning up at UCH Ibadan and being admitted to the Hospital.

The Fulani Herdsmen don't arrive in Lagos wfrom Sokoto with their Cows by Airplane many walk the distance.

So Ejoor riding to Lagos from Benin on bicycle is a minor thing.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by juman(m): 6:35am On Dec 31, 2020
The idiot generation of people.

Nigerian generals -- oleeeeeeeeee.
Oloribuku ---- oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 8:59am On Dec 31, 2020
Christistruth00:

That was why Ironsi didn't even hand back Power to the Civilian Government and Ojukwu was promising Allison Ayida a Permanent Secretary Ironsi would scrap the regions within 6 months.

Things were difficult for Ironsi because the Northern Soldier's and Ogundipe had found out that Ironsi and Ojukwu were part of the Coup that killed their Military Colleagues and Leaders!!!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://maxsiollun./2009/04/17/igbo-soldiers-plotted-coup-from-independence-day-ejoor/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwix6svAyvPtAhWVs3EKHQFlDv4QFjABegQIDxAB

After reading the excerpts from David Ejoors narrative (from the link you sent), you will notice I failed to reply you. I don't argue without evidence to counter or corroborate post.
I took days to read more and make further findings from different sources about what happened.
David Ejoors narrative was flawed and can easily be disclaimed. He claimed he was one of the most senior officers then. That was very far from the truth. There were many officers ahead of him in rank. There are other claims he made that contradicts some other sources.
My findings from further research ( even from classified reports about what happened during that coup) still points to the fact that Aguyi Ironsi was not part of the coup. But he did take advantage of the situation.
In my opinion, his fault was that he cashed in on the situation and cajoled the civilian govt go hand over power to the Military by making them understand that only the Military can curtailed the looming Military crisis. But he wasn't part of the coup and he was said to have been targeted by coupist but he escaped.
Later after the coup, Nzeogwu was said to have had a face off with Ifeajuna and accused him of compromising and not killing Ironsi thereby causing the failure of the coup.
A reputable source put it this way : "Major Ifeajuna was later to be accused by Major Patrick Nzeogwu, leader of northern operations, of bungling or ignoring an apparent understanding to assassinate General Ironsi in Lagos - an oversight, or “misguided consideration” (to use Nzeogwu’s words)that caused the failure of the coup.

Many more writers (and evidences on ground) tilts to the view that Ironsi was not part of the coup.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 1:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
CharleyBright:

After reading the excerpts from David Ejoors narrative (from the link you sent), you will notice I failed to reply you. I don't argue without evidence to counter or corroborate post.
I took days to read more and make further findings from different sources about what happened.
David Ejoors narrative was flawed and can easily be disclaimed. He claimed he was one of the most senior officers then. That was very far from the truth. There were many officers ahead of him in rank. There are other claims he made that contradicts some other sources.
My findings from further research ( even from classified reports about what happened during that coup) still points to the fact that Aguyi Ironsi was not part of the coup. But he did take advantage of the situation.
In my opinion, his fault was that he cashed in on the situation and cajoled the civilian govt go hand over power to the Military by making them understand that only the Military can curtailed the looming Military crisis. But he wasn't part of the coup and he was said to have been targeted by coupist but he escaped.
Later after the coup, Nzeogwu was said to have had a face off with Ifeajuna and accused him of compromising and not killing Ironsi thereby causing the failure of the coup.
A reputable source put it this way : "Major Ifeajuna was later to be accused by Major Patrick Nzeogwu, leader of northern operations, of bungling or ignoring an apparent understanding to assassinate General Ironsi in Lagos - an oversight, or “misguided consideration” (to use Nzeogwu’s words)that caused the failure of the coup.

Many more writers (and evidences on ground) tilts to the view that Ironsi was not part of the coup.

Thanks

1. David Ejoor was one of the Most Senior Officers his Army Number was 17 at a time When
Adebayo, Ogundipe were outside the Country

David Ejoor was Senior to Ojukwu in the Army

2. Gen Ironsi's takeover was Unconstitutional

3. Capt Oji who was one of the Coup Planners was also of the same Umuahia Town as Gen Ironsi. and was one of those sent to assassinate his own kinsman Ironsi . Deliberate Sabotage !!!!( Who does that? Why wasn't Muritala sent to assassinate Sardauna or Gen Maimailari)

Ademoyega said he requested but was prevented from having the responsibility of dealing with Gen Ironsi by the other Coup Plotters

Is it not easy to now see how Gen Ironsi ended
up the Chief beneficiary of the Coup?

4. Gen Gowon himself has Corroborated David Ejoors Story.

Here it is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2020/01/ojukwu-banjo-conceived-what-could-have-been-first-coup-in-1964-gowon/amp/

5. Gen Ironsi had Banjo arrested because he saw Banjo as a threat to his takeover of Power

6. After Gen Ironsi took power he made deliberate efforts to Conceal his involvement in the Coup

a) Ironsi dismissed the Special Branch British Police Officers and detectives who were investigating the Jan 1966 Coup with good progress

b) Ironsi had also frustrated the effort of the rump Cabinet to obtain British troops to put down the Jan 1966 Coup and had ended up being the main beneficiary himself

7. Lt Col Pam who was assassinated by the Coup Plotters had phoned Gen Ironsi for help as he was being led away to which Ironsi responded lazily " Is that so, ok I will send help" but Ironsi never sent any help

When Pam's Wife Elizabeth later confronted Gen Ironsi on being part of the Coup and being responsible for her Husband's murder, Ironsi said nothing.

8. When Col Gowon finally found Gen Ironsi at the Police Headquarters instead of Countering the Coup Ironsi and Col Hilary Njoku were eating biscuits with tea they even offered Gowon some
( In the Middle of a bloody Coup !! With the Prime Minister ,Finance Minister missing, 2 premiers dead, 4 Senior Army Officers kidnapped?)

Oh oh something is very Suspicious !!

Gowon led and initiated the Countering of the Jan 1966 Coup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/06/19/nigerias-first-coup-biafra-british-secret-files-part-two/amp/

9. Akinjide who was a Govt Minister confirmed that Ironsi was going around Lagos unarmed the following morning when the Prime Minister Balewa and the Finance Minister were still missing.

Here is Akinjide's account:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/10/01/akinjide-the-story-of-the-first-coup-has-not-been-told-yet/amp/

10 . Ojukwu was GOC of 5th battalion in Kano

Nothing stopped him from using his troops to Counter Nzeogwu in Kaduna
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 6:29pm On Dec 31, 2020
Christistruth00:

Thanks

1. David Ejoor was one of the Most Senior Officers his Army Number was 17 at a time When
Adebayo, Ogundipe were outside the Country

David Ejoor was Senior to Ojukwu in the Army

2. Gen Ironsi's takeover was Unconstitutional

3. Capt Oji who was one of the Coup Planners was also of the same Umuahia Town as Gen Ironsi. and was one of those sent to assassinate his own kinsman Ironsi . Deliberate Sabotage !!!!( Who does that? Why wasn't Muritala sent to assassinate Sardauna or Gen Maimailari)

Ademoyega said he requested but was prevented from having the responsibility of dealing with Gen Ironsi by the other Coup Plotters

Is it not easy to now see how Gen Ironsi ended
up the Chief beneficiary of the Coup?

4. Gen Gowon himself has Corroborated David Ejoors Story.

Here it is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2020/01/ojukwu-banjo-conceived-what-could-have-been-first-coup-in-1964-gowon/amp/

5. Gen Ironsi had Banjo arrested because he saw Banjo as a threat to his takeover of Power

6. After Gen Ironsi took power he made deliberate efforts to Conceal his involvement in the Coup

a) Ironsi dismissed the Special Branch British Police Officers and detectives who were investigating the Jan 1966 Coup with good progress

b) Ironsi had also frustrated the effort of the rump Cabinet to obtain British troops to put down the Jan 1966 Coup and had ended up being the main beneficiary himself

7. Lt Col Pam who was assassinated by the Coup Plotters had phoned Gen Ironsi for help as he was being led away to which Ironsi responded lazily " Is that so, ok I will send help" but Ironsi never sent any help

When Pam's Wife Elizabeth later confronted Gen Ironsi on being part of the Coup and being responsible for her Husband's murder, Ironsi said nothing.

8. When Col Gowon finally found Gen Ironsi at the Police Headquarters instead of Countering the Coup Ironsi and Col Hilary Njoku were eating biscuits with tea they even offered Gowon some
( In the Middle of a bloody Coup !! With the Prime Minister ,Finance Minister missing, 2 premiers dead, 4 Senior Army Officers kidnapped?)

Oh oh something is very Suspicious !!

Gowon led and initiated the Countering of the Jan 1966 Coup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/06/19/nigerias-first-coup-biafra-british-secret-files-part-two/amp/

9. Akinjide who was a Govt Minister confirmed that Ironsi was going around Lagos unarmed the following morning when the Prime Minister Balewa and the Finance Minister were still missing.

Here is Akinjide's account:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/10/01/akinjide-the-story-of-the-first-coup-has-not-been-told-yet/amp/

I must appreciate you in the reasonably matured and intelligent manner with which you bring up your facts. That is why You and I can have a Matured and intellectual discourse without resorting to rancour and abuses as always usual on Nairaland.
I always like to analyze every opinion and points brought forward and process their validity before making me comment. I don't engage in argument until am sure of what I argue about.
You see this matter about Ironsi being part of the Nzeugwu coup or Not, you and I can only argue back and forth based on what we read Or what we derived from various sources. One thing is very certain, that is the fact that You and I was not there. So we can't speak with 100% certainty.
As I speak and argue I am doing detailed research and making findings on what transpired during that coup and other coups. I can share some of the numerous finding with you if you are interested.
Truth be told, there are various account. But am inclined to tilt to the many narratives that claimed Ironsi might not have been part of that coup.
There are a few questions that keep cropping up to me.
1. Why did Ironsi engage and overcome the Coup plotters with Ikeja Battalion with help of Gowon if he was part of the coup plotters.
2. Why did some of the coup plotters planned and tried to kill him during the coup as it was alleged that he escaped to the Police Headquarters? He wouldn't have escaped to the Police HQ if his life was not in danger.

Well like I said earlier, you and I wasn't there during the coup, we can only argue based on sources we read from.
Am still making my findings. I will let you know when I find evidence enough from credible sources indicating Ironsi was culpable on the coup.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by chopperharris: 8:02pm On Dec 31, 2020
jendoslim:

Kindly send the copy to brandtencole800@gmail.com

Please could you send to me too:
chopvibes@gmail.com thank you bros
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by chopperharris: 8:03pm On Dec 31, 2020
Vicogrin:
I'm interested, how can I get it?

modified

pls kindly send to johnsonvictor517@gmail.com
Thanks in anticipation

Please could you send to me too:
chopvibes@gmail.com thank you
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by chopperharris: 8:25pm On Dec 31, 2020
Please could anyone kindly send me the books mentioned? I have been looking everywhere for a soft copy to no avail:
chopvibes@gmail.com thank you
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
CharleyBright:

I must appreciate you in the reasonably matured and intelligent manner with which you bring up your facts. That is why You and I can have a Matured and intellectual discourse without resorting to rancour and abuses as always usual on Nairaland.
I always like to analyze every opinion and points brought forward and process their validity before making me comment. I don't engage in argument until am sure of what I argue about.
You see this matter about Ironsi being part of the Nzeugwu coup or Not, you and I can only argue back and forth based on what we read Or what we derived from various sources. One thing is very certain, that is the fact that You and I was not there. So we can't speak with 100% certainty.
As I speak and argue I am doing detailed research and making findings on what transpired during that coup and other coups. I can share some of the numerous finding with you if you are interested.
Truth be told, there are various account. But am inclined to tilt to the many narratives that claimed Ironsi might not have been part of that coup.
There are a few questions that keep cropping up to me.
1. Why did Ironsi engage and overcome the Coup plotters with Ikeja Battalion with help of Gowon if he was part of the coup plotters.
2. Why did some of the coup plotters planned and tried to kill him during the coup as it was alleged that he escaped to the Police Headquarters? He wouldn't have escaped to the Police HQ if his life was not in danger.

Well like I said earlier, you and I wasn't there during the coup, we can only argue based on sources we read from.
Am still making my findings. I will let you know when I find evidence enough from credible sources indicating Ironsi was culpable on the coup.
Thanks.

If Gen Ironsi was not Part of the Coup how did he end up as Head of State?

1)
Ironsi and Ojukwu waited for the Pawns Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu who didn't know about the bigger Plot to finish the dirty Work of Murdering the Military and Political leaders before Hijacking the Coup

2) If Ironsi did not pretend to be Countering the Coup the Northern Soldier's would have finished have finished Ironsi off that same day their Military and Political leaders were killed

3 . How come Ironsi's Govt managed to Sentence Adaka Boro for declaring Niger Delta Republic to death for rebellion which happened in February of 1966 but never even arraigned those who had earlier at least Murdered a Whole Prime Minister, 2 Premiers and 2 Generals in Jan 1966( 29 people in all Murdered).

4. Why was Ironsi consolidating on the Coup by failing to Promote Yoruba Soldier's only 1 Olutoye was Promoted while 17 Igbos were Promoted.

But Gen Ademulegan and Col Sodeinde killed in Kaduna were Yoruba their positions were filled by Easterners though there were Westerners who could have filled those Positions

5 Before the Coup the only Easterner heading a Battalion was Ojukwu after the Coup Easterners headed 11 out of 13 Military Formations with troop.

It would have been 12 but the Northern Soldier's at Ibadan rejected Nzefili because their 2 previous GOCs Lagerma and Kur Mohammed had been murdered and they thought there was a secret plan to Wipe them out.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 10:37pm On Dec 31, 2020
Christistruth00:

If Gen Ironsi was not Part of the Coup how did he end up as Head of State?

1)
Ironsi and Ojukwu waited for the Pawns Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu who didn't know about the bigger Plot to finish the dirty Work of Murdering the Military and Political leaders before Hijacking the Coup

2) If Ironsi did not pretend to be Countering the Coup the Northern Soldier's would have finished have finished Ironsi off that same day their Military and Political leaders were killed

3 . How come Ironsi's Govt managed to Sentence Adaka Boro for declaring Niger Delta Republic to death for rebellion which happened in February of 1966 but never even arraigned those who had earlier at least Murdered a Whole Prime Minister, 2 Premiers and 2 Generals in Jan 1966( 29 people in all Murdered).

4. Why was Ironsi consolidating on the Coup by failing to Promote Yoruba Soldier's only 1 Olutoye was Promoted while 17 Igbos were Promoted.

But Gen Ademulegan and Col Sodeinde killed in Kaduna were Yoruba their positions were filled by Easterners though there were Westerners who could have filled those Positions

5 Before the Coup the only Easterner heading a Battalion was Ojukwu after the Coup Easterners headed 11 out of 13 Military Formations with troop.

It would have been 12 but the Northern Soldier's at Ibadan rejected Nzefili because their 2 previous GOCs Lagerma and Kur Mohammed had been murdered and they thought there was a secret plan to Wipe them out.

I think there is need to establish the different between "knowing about something" And "Being Part of that thing".
You can know/ be aware of something but not necessarily be part of that thing.
Sources from a Report I just read indicated that both Fajuyi and Ironsi were aware of the coup, but were not part of it, with Fajuyi was alleged to have even been more aware. Ironsi was alleged to have been tipped off at the eleventh hour by one of the coupists (likely by Njoku) for his (Ironsi's) safety, but he was not part of the coup. It was even alleged that the coupists meant to execute him.
Event that later played out later showed that Ironsi took advantaged of the botched coup to sail to power.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 11:27pm On Dec 31, 2020
CharleyBright:

I think there is need to establish the different between "knowing about something" And "Being Part of that thing".
You can know/ be aware of something but not necessarily be part of that thing.
Sources from a Report I just read indicated that both Fajuyi and Ironsi were aware of the coup, but were not part of it, with Fajuyi was alleged to have even been more aware. Ironsi was alleged to have been tipped off at the eleventh hour by one of the coupists (likely by Njoku) for his (Ironsi's) safety, but he was not part of the coup. It was even alleged that the coupists meant to execute him.
Event that later played out later showed that Ironsi took advantaged of the botched coup to sail to power.

Fajuyi was not part of the Coup, Fajuyi was booked into Eko Hotel by Major Ifeajuna and was supposed to have been killed with Lagerma
but because he spent the Night at a friend's house in Lagos he escaped his assassin's just like David Ejoor had.

After the Coup there was deliberate Misinformation spread by the Coup beneficiaries to Conceal their involvement otherwise the Northern Soldiers would have taken them out immediately they discovered the Truth remember that the deaths of the killed Officers was not even announced till months Later.

The Northern Soldier's eventually found out and staged the Revenge Coup in July.
Unfortunately they carried it out with much bitterness and anger.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Kayceenaz(m): 12:16am On Jan 01, 2021
Aidejay:
Olusegun obansanjo's close shave with death and his escape should fit well in a game of thrones esque tv movie. He has almost died so many times making me wonder if it's sheer luck or divine or is he just un killable.
I think it is divine. How he survived all those killings before, during and after the civil war amazes me. God favours him so much.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Fvckhypocrite(f): 4:03am On Jan 01, 2021
Christistruth00:

Fajuyi was not part of the Coup, Fajuyi was booked into Eko Hotel by Major Ifeajuna and was supposed to have been killed with Lagerma
but because he spent the Night at a friend's house in Lagos he escaped his assassin's just like David Ejoor had.

After the Coup there was deliberate Misinformation spread by the Coup beneficiaries to Conceal their involvement otherwise the Northern Soldiers would have taken them out immediately they discovered the Truth remember that the deaths of the killed Officers was not even announced till months Later.

The Northern Soldier's eventually found out and staged the Revenge Coup in July.
agba

I feel you
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by mickeyenglish(m): 8:34am On Jan 01, 2021
Alpha100:
I have both of Max Siollun's books if anyone is interested.

I'm very interested in this bro... Pls, send to nubiarepublic@gmail.com..
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 9:43am On Jan 01, 2021
Christistruth00:

My dear Brother, of course there are varied versions of what happened & like I said earlier, you and I were not there when the coup happened. But what is key in ascertaining the veracity of what we are told is to analyze every version with sound reasoning.
Have you ever heard of "Operation Damissa"?
Go and read about it, what it was all about and who and who were involved in that operation. Perhaps it will give you another angle to the whole issue.

However, i have read a couple of reports of the coup that indicated that Operation Damisa was a Tactical Military Training (done at Night) that was organised by Nzeogwu thru which most of the plotters were recruited. Various accounts indicates that Fajuyi sometimes took part in that Training as an Instructor. Many claim, Fajuyi might have been part of the coup OR heard about it through his involvement in Operation Damissa.
Now Here is what Major Ademoyega ( one of the Coup Plotters), Lt Col Walbe and T.Y Danmuma said about Fajuyi's involvement in the coup plot.

Although the western region publication “Fajuyi the Great” published by the Ministry of Information in 1967 after his official burial said he had offered to die rather than “abandon his guest”, those involved in his arrest and assassination insist that he was an even more critical target than Ironsi and made no such offer to die with Ironsi. Lt. Col. William Walbe (rtd) said:

“……..We arrested him as we arrested Ironsi.We suspected him of being party to the January coup.You remember the Battle Group Course which was held at Abeokuta….Fajuyi was the Commander of the Battle Group Course…All those who took part in the January coup were those who had taken part in that course.It gave us the impression that the Battle Course was arranged for the January coup, so he had to suffer it too. I am sorry about that but that is the nature of the life of a military man……..”

General Danjuma confirms this opinion.He says that at another training camp in Kachia commanded by Lt. Col. Fajuyi, Major Nzeogwu rehearsed the assault on Sardauna’s house in the presence of some northern mortar officers who did not appreciate the significance of the exercise until after the coup.In Danjuma’s words, “The chaps could not stomach Fajuyi such that if there was anybody who should die first, as far as they were concerned, it was Fajuyi, not even Ironsi.”

How true are these claims about Fajuyi’s role in the January coup?I found an answer in the book “Why we Struck” by Major Adewale Ademoyega, one of the January mutineers and a Yoruba officer like Fajuyi.Ademoyega states that Fajuyi supported the first coup, knew of it and made suggestions to plotters on how it could be best carried out.According to Ademoyega, that he did not actively participate was only as a result of his posting at the time the coup was launched.However, Ademoyega eulogizes the late Colonel for opposing all efforts in the Supreme Military Council to bring the January 15 coupists to trial.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 8:36pm On Jan 01, 2021
CharleyBright:

My dear Brother, of course there are varied versions of what happened & like I said earlier, you and I were not there when the coup happened. But what is key in ascertaining the veracity of what we are told is to analyze every version with sound reasoning.
Have you ever heard of "Operation Damissa"?
Go and read about it, what it was all about and who and who were involved in that operation. Perhaps it will give you another angle to the whole issue.

However, i have read a couple of reports of the coup that indicated that Operation Damisa was a Tactical Military Training (done at Night) that was organised by Nzeogwu thru which most of the plotters were recruited. Various accounts indicates that Fajuyi sometimes took part in that Training as an Instructor. Many claim, Fajuyi might have been part of the coup OR heard about it through his involvement in Operation Damissa.
Now Here is what Major Ademoyega ( one of the Coup Plotters), Lt Col Walbe and T.Y Danmuma said about Fajuyi's involvement in the coup plot.

Although the western region publication “Fajuyi the Great” published by the Ministry of Information in 1967 after his official burial said he had offered to die rather than “abandon his guest”, those involved in his arrest and assassination insist that he was an even more critical target than Ironsi and made no such offer to die with Ironsi. Lt. Col. William Walbe (rtd) said:

“……..We arrested him as we arrested Ironsi.We suspected him of being party to the January coup.You remember the Battle Group Course which was held at Abeokuta….Fajuyi was the Commander of the Battle Group Course…All those who took part in the January coup were those who had taken part in that course.It gave us the impression that the Battle Course was arranged for the January coup, so he had to suffer it too. I am sorry about that but that is the nature of the life of a military man……..”

General Danjuma confirms this opinion.He says that at another training camp in Kachia commanded by Lt. Col. Fajuyi, Major Nzeogwu rehearsed the assault on Sardauna’s house in the presence of some northern mortar officers who did not appreciate the significance of the exercise until after the coup.In Danjuma’s words, “The chaps could not stomach Fajuyi such that if there was anybody who should die first, as far as they were concerned, it was Fajuyi, not even Ironsi.”

How true are these claims about Fajuyi’s role in the January coup?I found an answer in the book “Why we Struck” by Major Adewale Ademoyega, one of the January mutineers and a Yoruba officer like Fajuyi.Ademoyega states that Fajuyi supported the first coup, knew of it and made suggestions to plotters on how it could be best carried out.According to Ademoyega, that he did not actively participate was only as a result of his posting at the time the coup was launched.However, Ademoyega eulogizes the late Colonel for opposing all efforts in the Supreme Military Council to bring the January 15 coupists to trial.

Happy and Blessed New year to is all!

Fajuyi was among those to have been assassinated that was why Ifeajuna booked him a room at Eko Hotel with Lagerma, David Ejoor even Gowon was supposed to be staying at the Eko hotel that night.

Ademoyega made some claims in his book " Why we Struck"

1. He and Oyewole joined the Coup because they were deceived into believing Awolowo would be released and made Prime Minister

- On the day of the Coup it turned out there was no such Plan.( They had been used and were not part of the inner Caucus of the Grand Plot).

2- Nzeogwu and Ademoyega also alleged that Ifeajuna and some officers were so Tribalistic in the execution of the Coup that both Ironsi and Ojukwu were not only unhurt but took over Power.

3- Major Obienu who was one of the Coup Planners supposed to Command the Armoured Vehicles from Abeokuta disappeared on the morning of the Coup and turned up on Ironsi's side after Gowon had stated Countering the Coup this means Ironsi know about the plot all along Capt Oji and Major Obienu made sure he was updated

There was even a Police Intelligence report on the Coup plot from one Fagbola an IG of Police
that mentioned Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu but Ironsi didn't act on it.

-

Another Problem of believing Fajuyi was part of the Coup

Fajuyi was an Ekiti man like Brigadier Ademulegun GOC of first division Kaduna ,

It is inconceivable that Fajuyi would be Part of a Coup that aimed to Murder Ademulegun and his wife his own Kinsmen in the Army

It would have been the equivalent of asking Ifeajuna to support the murder of Azikiwe his Cousin from Onitsha whom he leaked the Coup plot to and only.allowed the Coup to go ahead after Zik had left the Country.

If Fajuyi had truly been part of the Coup the Coup Plotters would. never have been able to kill
Brigadier Ademulegun.

Ekiti Kindred ties are very strong and they do not condone treachery.

For example remember how Fajuyi was ready and willing to die for Ironsi who was not an Ekiti man

If Ademulegun his Ekiti Kinsman had been involved he would have taken his Omoluabi ( Code of Honour) to the Wire.
He would have fought to save Ademulegun's life even if it would cost him his own.

https://m.guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/i-have-no-regret-advising-fajuyi-to-join-nigerian-army/
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 11:24am On Jan 02, 2021
Christistruth00:

Happy and Blessed New year to is all!

Fajuyi was among those to have been assassinated that was why Ifeajuna booked him a room at Eko Hotel with Lagerma, David Ejoor even Gowon was supposed to be staying at the Eko hotel that night.

Ademoyega made some claims in his book " Why we Struck"

1. He and Oyewole joined the Coup because they were deceived into believing Awolowo would be released and made Prime Minister

- On the day of the Coup it turned out there was no such Plan.( They had been used and were not part of the inner Caucus of the Grand Plot).

2- Nzeogwu and Ademoyega also alleged that Ifeajuna and some officers were so Tribalistic in the execution of the Coup that both Ironsi and Ojukwu were not only unhurt but took over Power.

3- Major Obienu who was one of the Coup Planners supposed to Command the Armoured Vehicles from Abeokuta disappeared on the morning of the Coup and turned up on Ironsi's side after Gowon had stated Countering the Coup this means Ironsi know about the plot all along Capt Oji and Major Obienu made sure he was updated

There was even a Police Intelligence report on the Coup plot from one Fagbola an IG of Police
that mentioned Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu but Ironsi didn't act on it.

-

Another Problem of believing Fajuyi was part of the Coup

Fajuyi was an Ekiti man like Brigadier Ademulegun GOC of first division Kaduna ,

It is inconceivable that Fajuyi would be Part of a Coup that aimed to Murder Ademulegun and his wife his own Kinsmen in the Army

It would have been the equivalent of asking Ifeajuna to support the murder of Azikiwe his Cousin from Onitsha whom he leaked the Coup plot to and only.allowed the Coup to go ahead after Zik had left the Country.

If Fajuyi had truly been part of the Coup the Coup Plotters would. never have been able to kill
Brigadier Ademulegun.

Ekiti Kindred ties are very strong and they do not condone treachery.

For example remember how Fajuyi was ready and willing to die for Ironsi who was not an Ekiti man

If Ademulegun his Ekiti Kinsman had been involved he would have taken his Omoluabi ( Code of Honour) to the Wire.
He would have fought to save Ademulegun's life even if it would cost him his own.

https://m.guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/i-have-no-regret-advising-fajuyi-to-join-nigerian-army/

While I would want to agree with your #1 and #2 points above, I might want to disagree with your number #3.
However, I personally have made deep studies into that particular coup and the aftermath to ascertain some patchy issues (more because of the gory details). Two of the most consistent and unresolved issues has been :
1. Was Aguyi Ironsi actually involved in the coup?
2. Why was Lt Col Fajuyi killed? Was he also involved?

While there have been varied versions and details from various sources (mostly from direct actors of the coup and countercoup), mine angle has always been to probe into the activities that transpired shortly before the coup.
I have learnt from various studies of coups in different parts of the world ( and even in movies) that unusual or sudden activities that takes place shortly before a coup are key in unlocking the mystery or unravelled truth behind the coups.
In the case of the Nzeougo coup( but it was actually kickstarted and masterminded by Major Ifeajuna), i keep making reference to Operation Damissa. That Tactical Military Operation was critical preceding the coup. That Operation was where and where many were recruited for the coup. Who and who were associated with that coup? And many versions linked Fajuyi to that operation as he was an Instructor.
While I am not 100% certain about his involvement, but I have also not been easily inclined to the narrative that Fajuyi "laid down his life for Ironsi",( if he is not Jesus, why would he do that? ).
I think I am more inclined to think Fajuyi knew about it or heard about it, but not directly involved in the coup. ( Just as Sani Abacha was said to have heard about the coup that ousted Buhari but did not participate.). Perhaps, that was why Fajuyi was taken and killed alongside Ironsi. T.Y Danjuma's account actually did make reference to Fajuyi being aware of the coup, and that was the reason why the NCO and soldiers didn't let him alive.
To be honest, there are still some truths about the coup that will remain unravelled as the very main actors have died with such truths. We can only try to speculate.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 12:23pm On Jan 02, 2021
CharleyBright:

While I would want to agree with your #1 and #2 points above, I might want to disagree with your number #3.
However, I personally have made deep studies into that particular coup and the aftermath to ascertain some patchy issues (more because of the gory details). Two of the most consistent and unresolved issues has been :
1. Was Aguyi Ironsi actually involved in the coup?
2. Why was Lt Col Fajuyi killed? Was he also involved?

While there have been varied versions and details from various sources (mostly from direct actors of the coup and countercoup), mine angle has always been to probe into the activities that transpired shortly before the coup.
I have learnt from various studies of coups in different parts of the world ( and even in movies) that unusual or sudden activities that takes place shortly before a coup are key in unlocking the mystery or unravelled truth behind the coups.
In the case of the Nzeougo coup( but it was actually kickstarted and masterminded by Major Ifeajuna), i keep making reference to Operation Damissa. That Tactical Military Operation was critical preceding the coup. That Operation was where and where many were recruited for the coup. Who and who were associated with that coup? And many versions linked Fajuyi to that operation as he was an Instructor.
While I am not 100% certain about his involvement, but I have also not been easily inclined to the narrative that Fajuyi "laid down his life for Ironsi",( if he is not Jesus, why would he do that? ).
I think I am more inclined to think Fajuyi knew about it or heard about it, but not directly involved in the coup. ( Just as Sani Abacha was said to have heard about the coup that ousted Buhari but did not participate.). Perhaps, that was why Fajuyi was taken and killed alongside Ironsi. T.Y Danjuma's account actually did make reference to Fajuyi being aware of the coup, and that was the reason why the NCO and soldiers didn't let him alive.
To be honest, there are still some truths about the coup that will remain unravelled as the very main actors have died with such truths. We can only try to speculate.

If you have done deep studies of that Coup and read the British declassified documents then by now you would know that Zik was part of the Coup

Zik sent a telegram from the UK to Gen Ironsi addressing him as the head of the State at a time when Dipcherima was still the leader of the Rump Cabinet.

After the Telegram had been sent the Commonwealth Office had to correct Zik and inform him that Dipcherima and not Ironsi was the leader of the remaining Ministers.

So when Gen Ironsi finally took over Power it was very Obvious that Zik had previous knowledge of Gen Ironsi's plan

Also you would have read the information were Ziks British Doctor informed the British intelligence that there was no Medical reason for Zik not to have returned to Nigeria for the Commonwealth Leaders conference which held in Lagos two days before the Coup.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 1:35pm On Jan 02, 2021
Christistruth00:

If you have done deep studies of that Coup and read the British declassified documents then by now you would know that Zik was part of the Coup

Zik sent a telegram from the UK to Gen Ironsi addressing him as the head of the State at a time when Dipcherima was still the leader of the Rump Cabinet.

After the Telegram had been sent the Commonwealth Office had to correct Zik and inform him that Dipcherima and not Ironsi was the leader of the remaining Ministers.

So when Gen Ironsi finally took over Power it was very Obvious that Zik had previous knowledge of Gen Ironsi's plan

Also you would have read the information were Ziks British Doctor informed the British intelligence that there was no Medical reason for Zik not to have returned to Nigeria for the Commonwealth Leaders conference which held in Lagos two days before the Coup.

Well said.
But, i would rather be careful not to say "Zik was part of the Coup".
Being part of a thing means you participated or took decision about a thing. On that basis, I would say NO, Zik was not " Part of the coup".
However, I would be more comfortable if you say Zik was aware of the coup before it took place.
Truth be told, Zik might likely have been tipped off about the eminent coup by one of the coup plotters. Sources from books I read said Zik went for a Medical trip in UK in December, but rather went off on vacation to the Carrebeans and failed to return by January for a crucial Intl Conference that was holding in Lagos early January, whereas he was a key representative for Nigeria in that conference as a President. Very OK to deduced that he was deliberately absent cos of the eminent coup.

Seriously, this is now more like a dual conversation between you and i, so i think it is more appropriate we henceforth have this discourse privately and not on Nairaland.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kingphilip(m): 2:02pm On Jan 02, 2021
CharleyBright:

Well said.
Being part of a thing means you participated or took decision about a thing. On that basis, I would say NO, Zik was not " Part of the coup".
However, I would be more comfortable if you say Zik was aware of the coup before it took place.
Truth be told, Zik might likely have been tipped off about the eminent coup by one of the coup plotters. Sources from books I read said Zik went for a Medical trip in UK in December, but rather went off on vacation to the Carrebeans and failed to return by January for a crucial Intl Conference that was holding in Lagos early January, whereas he was a key representative for Nigeria in that conference as a President. Very OK to deduced that he was deliberately absent cos of the eminent coup.

Seriously, this is now more like a dual conversation between you and i, so i think it is more appropriate we henceforth have this discourse privately and not on Nairaland.
it should continue here please

I'm still following the thread because of you both

Cc: christistruth00
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Christistruth00: 9:31pm On Jan 02, 2021
CharleyBright:

Well said.

Orizu Nwafors frustration of NPCs efforts to have Dipcherima sworn in showed that NCNC Politicians were neck deep in the Coup.

The British high Commisioner in Lagos reported that as recently as November of 1965 Nzeogwu had been attending meetings with NCNC Politicians.

Also Busia, the Opposition leader to Kwame Nkrumah had sent an urgent message to Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa days before Balewa was Killed which stated that Azikiwe with the Support of Nkrumah was planning a Coup to remove Balewa .

That explained why Ifeajuna was helped to escape to Ghana after his meeting with Premier of the Eastern Region Okpara after the Coup had Failed and was given protection by Nkrumah.

Zik visited Papa Doc of Haiti during the vacation and was a VIP at the Haitian Prime Ministers elaborate Ceremonies where all the Diplomatic Corp were also invited what he didn't know was that the British Ambassador to Haiti was busy spying on him and sending the information back to the British Government that Zik was well enough to be attending Parties and appeared to be very fine.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 6:34am On Jan 03, 2021
Christistruth00:

Orizu Nwafors frustration of NPCs efforts to have Dipcherima sworn in showed that NCNC Politicians were neck deep in the Coup.

The British high Commisioner in Lagos reported that as recently as November of 1965 Nzeogwu had been attending meetings with NCNC Politicians.

Also Busia, the Opposition leader to Kwame Nkrumah had sent an urgent message to Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa days before Balewa was Killed which stated that Azikiwe with the Support of Nkrumah was planning a Coup to remove Balewa .

That explained why Ifeajuna was helped to escape to Ghana after his meeting with Premier of the Eastern Region Okpara after the Coup had Failed and was given protection by Nkrumah.

Zik visited Papa Doc of Haiti during the vacation and was a VIP at the Haitian Prime Ministers elaborate Ceremonies where all the Diplomatic Corp were also invited what he didn't know was that the British Ambassador to Haiti was busy spying on him and sending the information back to the British Government that Zik was well enough to be attending Parties and appeared to be very fine.

We are both saying the same thing.
Zik very possibly heard or must have been informed about the coup before it happened. But he played aloof and not directly involved. That coup was strictly a Military affairs and it was also the first coup, it wasn't something a civilian could possibly have been directly involved

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

DSS Withdraws Personnel Attached To Governor Adeleke / FFK: After Wetting His Bed, Short Man Devil Shed Tears / Saraki Appoints Chief Of Staff And Media Adviser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.