Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,196 members, 7,849,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:25 AM

Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me (40930 Views)

Plateau Group Accuses Tallen, Dimka, Others Of Being PDP Mole In APC / How Sex Workers Ruined Dimka’s 1976 Coup Plan / Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 28, 2020
Racoon:

Yes! You're right sir.So also is the "Oil, Politics and Violence" by Max Siollun. There was actually this "76" movies that came close in depicting how that abortive Lt.Col.Bukar Suker Dimka's Coup of Feb.13 1976 took place.

Siollun was another of my favourite when it came to Nigerian coup history. I wonder what happened to his blog.

I am yet to see that movie although I read the reviews on one of these dailies. I'd say it was a bit tainted.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by owobokiri(m): 7:35am On Dec 28, 2020
femi4:
He was in the room with them but never supported the coup
Was in the room but never supported!? This is sooo golden..
Remember,. It was Obasanjo that started the culture of executing coup plotters, including anybody military or civilian that heard or was aware of a coup plot but refused to inform the authorities!
He passed a decree to that effect..
He even backtracked the law to help him eliminate all his enemies in the military using the Dimkas coup as an excuse.. You want to burnish Obasanjos image!? Do you really know how evil that man was/is?
Like Dimka will say; "We are all together"!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by juman(m): 7:37am On Dec 28, 2020
Obasanjo is a nuisance.
A disgrace to humanity.

He failed nigeria than any other person.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Racoon(m): 7:38am On Dec 28, 2020
CharleyBright:
Yes.The book-Oil, Politics and Violence did vividly described what played out in the Dimka Coup and the actors in the whole incidence. Buhari (who is a staunch protégé of Murtala Mohammed) was a key actor in foiling that coup.

Anyone that read those books before 2015 elections would have known who Buhari truly is and would not vote for him.Before i read Oil, POlitics and Violence, i had always perceived Murtala Mohammed as a gentle soldier.

But the book depicted that he was a hard and stubborn soldier who had at many times openly threatened to deal with General Gowon, and he eventually overthrew Gowon and became the Head of state after ousting Gowon with the help of his staunch loyalists.

......Anyone who wants to know why Nigeria is the way it is today should go and read 'Oil, Politics and violence" by Max Siolliun, And also the sequel of that book called - "Soldiers of Fortune" by same Author.

Both Books are Masterpieces that gives detailed accounts of every Top Nigerian Military officer since independence and their different roles in the Military to bastardized and destroyed Nigeria.
Well said bro.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Racoon(m): 7:43am On Dec 28, 2020
mansakhalifa:
Siollun was another of my favourite when it came to Nigerian coup history. I wonder what happened to his blog. I am yet to see that movie although I read the reviews on one of these dailies. I'd say it was a bit tainted.
I have all Max Siollun three books and cherish them a lot because they gave clear succinct dirty histroy of all these past military leaders Nigerians are venerating today as gods especially the role the sitting president played in the July 28-29 1966 northern counter-coup killings @ Ikeja Barracks.I have a copy of the "76" movie.I even watch clips yster night.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Racoon(m): 7:49am On Dec 28, 2020
TooMuchStuff:
Dimka was purely avenging the embarrassment meted to Gowon by the Hausafulanikanuri Muslims soldiers who kicked him out of power. Obasanjo was never a target for Dimka
Anyway, this serves Lt.Col.Dimka right.This was the same man that killed his 3rd Battalion CO-Lt.Col. Okoro back then in Kaduna during the counter coup of July 1966 when they were power drunk thinking that hausa- fulani are their kiths & kin.

Alas! They only used the mainly christain minority middle belt officers(Lt.Col.Yakubu Gowon, Maj.TY Danjuma, Lt.Hannaniya Haladu, Lt.William Walbe, Lt.Titus Numan, Lt.Pam Pkwanon, Lt.Jerry Useni, Lt.James Onoja among many) & men to execute the coup only to gain control of the army & later start to suppress these middle belters.
This is what the Maj.Gideon Orkar Coup of April 22 1990 wanted to correct.

Meanwhile, Obasanjo was a prime target for assassination on that date alongside Murtala, Danjuma, Cols. IBB, Jemibewon, Ibrahim Taiwo among others.

9 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Kellie069(m): 8:04am On Dec 28, 2020
All of una na yeye pple
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kraftysprouts: 8:05am On Dec 28, 2020
All of you are coupist and not heroes
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Nackzy: 8:05am On Dec 28, 2020
The Tortoise himself
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by spy24(m): 8:09am On Dec 28, 2020
kettykin:
As usual, very gullible Nigerians will believe this.
How can a phone call on 13th Friday cause a deputy head of state to go late to work over child naming. What do these take the rest of Nigerians for

Thank you

Exactly What I was thinking
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kraftysprouts: 8:09am On Dec 28, 2020
Racoon:

Yes! You're right sir.So also is the "Oil, Politics and Violence" by Max Siollun. There was actually this "76" movies that came close in depicting how that abortive Lt.Col.Bukar Suker Dimka's Coup of Feb.13 1976 took place.

Where can I find it
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by bluefilm: 8:10am On Dec 28, 2020
Who cares?

Nonsense. undecided
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Mbbscentric(m): 8:11am On Dec 28, 2020
CharleyBright:

Yes. The book - Oil, Politics and Violence did vividly described what played out in the Dimka Coup and the actors in the whole incidence. Buhari (who is a staunch protégé of Murtala Mohammed) was a key actor in foiling that coup.
Anyone that read those books before 2015 elections would have known who Buhari truly is and would not vote for him. Before i read Oil, POlitics and Violence, i had always perceived Murtala Mohammed as a gentle soldier. But the book depicted that he was a hard and stubborn soldier who had at many times openly threatened to deal with General Gowon, and he eventually overthrew Gowon and became the Head of state after ousting Gowon with the help of his staunch loyalists. Infact, the book narrated that Murtala was killed by those Loyal to Gowon as a revenge 6 months after Murtala ousted Gowon. the book further indicated that those times were very deadly times in the Military when there was distrusts and bad blood in the Military so much that everyone was scared of being assassinated, and after Murtala was killed, there was vacuum in the Military Headship for over 2 weeks and everyone ( Obasanjo and co who were highest officers then) refused to become Head of State. However, Obasanjo was almost forced to be Head of State so as to change Leadership to the Southern Nigeria to doused the Bad that had brewed between the Northern Military Christians camp ( The Langtan block and loyalist to Gowon) on one hand, and the Northern Military Muslims ( The Murtala Mohammed loyalist) on the other hand.
Anyone who wants to know why Nigeria is the way it is today should go and read 'Oil, Politics and violence" by Max Siolliun, And also the sequel of that book called - "Soldiers of Fortune" by same Author. But Books are Masterpieces that gives detailed accounts of every Top Nigerian Military officer since independence and their different roles in the Military to bastardized and destroyed Nigeria.

I have learnt a lot here!

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kraftysprouts: 8:11am On Dec 28, 2020
owobokiri:
Somebody help me; Why is Dimkas coup not defined by Dimkas ethnicity? I mean it was stated clearly that the main reason that led Dimka to unleash that coup was to get rid of core northerners that upstaged Gowon, a fellow middle belter! This led to the killings of Murtala Mohammed and Ibrahim Taiwo, including the attempted elimination of officers that helped Murtala ascedence to power, most of them northerners! Gowons name was so glaringly written all over the coup that the federal government sought for his repatriation to Nigeria for trial.

He will later be left in the UK to rot while Ojukwu whom he fought against during the war, was pardoned to come back to Nigeria! My questions are; who and who here even know Dimkas ethnic group? Why was the ethnic/regional/sectional motivations behind Dimkas military interjection always downplayed by the media, the government and even the military while Nzeogwus military uprising is conveniently used as an excuse to propel an unending devilish policy of containment against the good people of the former eastern Nigeria!?

Double standard Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kraftysprouts: 8:14am On Dec 28, 2020
CharleyBright:

Yes. The book - Oil, Politics and Violence did vividly described what played out in the Dimka Coup and the actors in the whole incidence. Buhari (who is a staunch protégé of Murtala Mohammed) was a key actor in foiling that coup.
Anyone that read those books before 2015 elections would have known who Buhari truly is and would not vote for him. Before i read Oil, POlitics and Violence, i had always perceived Murtala Mohammed as a gentle soldier. But the book depicted that he was a hard and stubborn soldier who had at many times openly threatened to deal with General Gowon, and he eventually overthrew Gowon and became the Head of state after ousting Gowon with the help of his staunch loyalists. Infact, the book narrated that Murtala was killed by those Loyal to Gowon as a revenge 6 months after Murtala ousted Gowon. the book further indicated that those times were very deadly times in the Military when there was distrusts and bad blood in the Military so much that everyone was scared of being assassinated, and after Murtala was killed, there was vacuum in the Military Headship for over 2 weeks and everyone ( Obasanjo and co who were highest officers then) refused to become Head of State. However, Obasanjo was almost forced to be Head of State so as to change Leadership to the Southern Nigeria to doused the Bad that had brewed between the Northern Military Christians camp ( The Langtan block and loyalist to Gowon) on one hand, and the Northern Military Muslims ( The Murtala Mohammed loyalist) on the other hand.
Anyone who wants to know why Nigeria is the way it is today should go and read 'Oil, Politics and violence" by Max Siolliun, And also the sequel of that book called - "Soldiers of Fortune" by same Author. But Books are Masterpieces that gives detailed accounts of every Top Nigerian Military officer since independence and their different roles in the Military to bastardized and destroyed Nigeria.

Where can i see it?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Gwin2020(m): 8:14am On Dec 28, 2020
Racoon:

How can l get this book sir
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kraftysprouts: 8:17am On Dec 28, 2020
owobokiri:

You are very right... It was the same bad blood that led to the elimination of very powerful middle belt officers in the army after the Dimka coup, paving the way for the likes of Yaradua and co....
As per Nzeogwu and Ironsi, that's still part of the vile conspiracy theories used to maim igbo officers... Without Ironsi, Nzeogwus coup would have succeeded. So how then can Nzeogwu be planning a coup to hand over to the same Ironsi that truncated his coup? Nzeogwu even sent Obasanjo to go and meet Ironsi on his behalf at Lagos, that's after consultations with surviving military commanders in the north including the likes of Hassan Katsina.. Some of them will later join the bandwagon of those pushing the overarching conspiracy theories of Ironsi being part of the coup... Life shaa

Ironsi that escaped death

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 8:18am On Dec 28, 2020
kraftysprouts:

Where can i see it?

You can order the books - "OIL, POLITICS and VIOLENCE" and the Sequel - "SOLDIERS of FORTUNE" online Or go to some of the big bookshops around you.
You will be very glad you read the books.
I highly recommend both books for anyone who wants to understand the intricacies of the country called Nigeria.
The Nigerian Military had long ago mapped out how Nigeria will play out.

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by imolile: 8:21am On Dec 28, 2020
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by nedus23: 8:23am On Dec 28, 2020
Nigeria and coup be like husband and wife, and their children be like corrupt politicians who do not care for the well being of the electorate. God save us in this forced unity that lack peace for ordinary men and women. Lol Jesus Christ is coming repent. Run from any form of sin and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior if you have not. God bless you u all.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Missyajoke(f): 8:24am On Dec 28, 2020
May
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by colestephan86: 8:24am On Dec 28, 2020
Weneda:

https://punchng.com/how-i-survived-dimka-coup-obasanjo/
OBJ is actually the one that should be called anikulapo, ( the one that had death in his pouch)
Death saw him on several occasions and walked pass.

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by nedus23: 8:24am On Dec 28, 2020
Nigeria and coup be like husband and wife, and their children be like corrupt politicians who do not care for the well being of the electorate. God save us in this forced unity that lack peace for ordinary men and women. Lol Jesus Christ is coming repent. Run from any form of sin and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior if you have not. God bless you u all. shocked shocked
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by humilitypays(m): 8:25am On Dec 28, 2020
owobokiri:
Somebody help me; Why is Dimkas coup not defined by Dimkas ethnicity? I mean it was stated clearly that the main reason that led Dimka to unleash that coup was to get rid of core northerners that upstaged Gowon, a fellow middle belter! This led to the killings of Murtala Mohammed and Ibrahim Taiwo, including the attempted elimination of officers that helped Murtalas ascedence to power, most of them northerners! Gowons name was so glaringly written all over the coup that the federal government sought for his repatriation to Nigeria for trial.

He will later be left in the UK to rot while Ojukwu whom he fought against during the war, was pardoned to come back to Nigeria! My questions are; who and who here even know Dimkas ethnic group? Why was the ethnic/regional/sectional motivations behind Dimkas military interjection always downplayed by the media, the government and even the military while Nzeogwus military uprising is conveniently used as an excuse to propel an unending devilish policy of containment against the good people of the former eastern Nigeria!?
Because almost all Nigerian tribe were already envious of the Igbos after the 1960 independence because Igbos dominated virtually all sectors of Nigeria; from politics to military to parliament to academics to trade, making them accuse Igbos of dominating other Nigerian tribe.

So Nzeogwu's coup gave them the opportunity to pour out their long envious anger against the Igbo tribe.

You can google BBC and VOA account of events of 1966 and read the full story. It was beyond coup

9 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by colestephan86: 8:25am On Dec 28, 2020
Weneda:

https://punchng.com/how-i-survived-dimka-coup-obasanjo/
OBJ is actually the one that should be called anikulapo, ( the one that had death in his pouch)
Death saw him on several occasions and walked pass.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Blackdisciple(m): 8:26am On Dec 28, 2020
Some times I wonder why all of them did not die during the coups ...

Now they are to tormenting the nation .
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kraftysprouts: 8:26am On Dec 28, 2020
CharleyBright:

You can order the books - "OIL, POLITICS and VIOLENCE" and the Sequel - "SOLDIERS of FORTUNE" online Or go to some of the big bookshops around you.
You will be very glad you read the books.
I highly recommend both books for anyone who wants to understand the intricacies of the country called Nigeria.
The Nigerian Military had long ago mapped out how Nigeria will play out.

I have read the why we struck book and half of there was a country
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by ElukuGabari: 8:29am On Dec 28, 2020
OBJ with scope always ��
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Victorclean1: 8:31am On Dec 28, 2020
Bajowa or what you called him. Yoribao and betrayal were 5 and 6. Now the revelation how Dimka was betrayed were coming out gradually.

Only God knows where yoribao got behavioral betrayal tendencies that plung thus Nation backward since independent.

I hail all yoriba nation

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Peter Obi: What Governors Earn In Nigeria Is Immoderate / Handwritten Statement By Nnamdi Kanu Containing Apology To PMB- Saharareporters / Victor Umeh Caught On Camera Mocking Soludo During APGA Anambra Primary Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.