Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,176 members, 7,849,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:28 AM

Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me (40928 Views)

Plateau Group Accuses Tallen, Dimka, Others Of Being PDP Mole In APC / How Sex Workers Ruined Dimka’s 1976 Coup Plan / Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by paranorman(m): 10:51am On Dec 28, 2020
Racoon:

I have all Max Siollun three books and cherish them a lot because they gave clear succinct dirty histroy of all these past military leaders Nigerians are venerating today as gods especially the role the sitting president played in the July 28-29 1966 northern counter-coup killings @ Ikeja Barracks.I have a copy of the "76" movie.I even watch clips yster night.

Sir, do you have e-copies? Please, can I get them from you if you do have them?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Norwichsailor(m): 10:55am On Dec 28, 2020
francotunsco:
...and this thread later became an intelligent discourse!
I am very proud of Nairaland this morning. Fellows are making intelligent reference to a book read and a movie!
2021 gbosa for everyone.
Exactly
No insult or ethnic bashing

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:56am On Dec 28, 2020
nku5:

Thanks for the objectivity sir. I appreciate it

The pleasure is all mine, my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Olakunleyakub(m): 11:00am On Dec 28, 2020
Thanks for the correction man.

That was a human factor and I think the memory is not that easy to keep intact since then up til date.
Jeffyblaq:

Well said... But will correct yuh here..

Buhari and idiagbon regime lasted from 1983-1985 as a result from a coup led by IBB.. Itz not 6 months as you said..

IBB Ruled for 8 years.. 85 - 93 b4 handing a transition power to Earnest Shonekan in 1993. After the annulment of the presidential election arguably won by MKO Abiola.

Copy dat!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by paranorman(m): 11:01am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:
I have both of Max Siollun's books if anyone is interested.

Please, I need it!
Einsteinalbert583@yahoo.com

Thank you
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by nigeriagospel(m): 11:02am On Dec 28, 2020
jendoslim:

Kindly send the copy to brandtencole800@gmail.com
I need them too pls efefrancis20@gmail.com
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by gudugudumeje: 11:04am On Dec 28, 2020
Murtala Mohammed was the target of the Fulani/ Kanuri flank and Sokoto caliphate. He was considered an unbiased umpire in then coming 1979 elections and a stumbling block to Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri rigging plans against Awolowo and Awo's monumental public policy campaigns and civil resistance routes and stamina which Obasanjo stifle.... USA has a hand in the coup too with plan to thwart M/Mohammed for not honouring IV to Washington. The coup had 3 plots wt OBJ in one... And OBJ was to be played out at last...until Akinrinade Alani& Alabi-Isama thwarted it... And more.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by gudugudumeje: 11:08am On Dec 28, 2020
Murtala Mohammed was the target of the Fulani/ Kanuri flank and Sokoto caliphate. He was considered an unbiased umpire in then coming 1979 elections and a stumbling block to Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri rigging plans against Awolowo and. Awo's monumental public policy campaigns and civil resistance routes and stamina which Obasanjo stifle.... USA has a hand in the coup too with plan to thwart M/Mohammed for not honouring IV to Washington. The coup had 3 plots wt OBJ in one... And OBJ was to be played out at last...until Akinrinade Alani& Alabi-Isama thwarted it... And more.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by seunmsg(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2020
It’s so interesting reading how our friends from the east are blaming everybody other than theirs. To start with, was the first coup necessary? There was absolutely no justification for the first coup. The way and manner Ifeajuna and his co-plotters went about the coup in a very bloody and clannish manner made it more despicable. The January 15, 1966 coup ruined the camaraderie in the military and ruined the fragile unity among our political elites till today. Every event that happened thereafter was a chain reaction to the bloody Ifeajuna coup.

Let’s even assume Ifeajuna and co were young and blinded by ambition, what came over an old conservative soldier like Ironsi that he had to force the senate to handover power to him? Was that the only option available to him at that point? Dipcharima had already been selected has acting prime minister, all he needed was the support of the military to help stabilize the government and the country but no, Ironsi with the backing of the Igbo senate president forcefully took over power. Sadly, he wasn’t knowledgeable enough to manage a diverse country like Nigeria. He became overwhelmed and started listening to only Igbo advisers. The pogrom and the July counter coup was the result of his poor leadership.

TY Danjuma faced the same dilemma that Ironsi faced but he appreciated the situation better and handled it differently. If Danjuma had taken over the government after the Dimka coup like Ironsi did after Ifeajuna’s coup, he would have ended up like Ironsi. He was smart enough to support Obasanjo who was the next in line. He even refused to accept the position of CGS and instead promoted Yar’adua who was very junior to him to the position. That is how to navigate the murky waters of Nigeria’s military and ethnic politics.

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by oseluck: 11:14am On Dec 28, 2020
The world did not start today. A lot has happened in the past, even before we came. So don't assume he's just telling stories.
Karemarealty288:
Obj and story telling ....
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Olakunleyakub(m): 11:20am On Dec 28, 2020
You are equally correct sir. He made sure that they executed dimka and all the people involved in upstaging muritala Mohammed.

The bitter truth is that obasanjo is the most strategic and intelligent military officer during that time for him to have unslaught several underground coup moves.

He is one of those people that is very good in uniting this country. Even tinubu too has that quality of uniting people together apart from his corrupt lifestyle if you notice him very well even dough all might be for a selfish ambition but atleast we can still see it.
[ quote author=CharleyBright post=97491035]

You are correct about Obasanjo.
Many Nigerians dont know the key roles Obasanjo had played in unifying the Country at the brink of collapse.
He was brought in the save the Nation from eminent Military bloodbath and Collapse of the country following the Murtala Mohammed death. He was also brought in to douse the tension following tension and compensate the South after Abiola death and Sani Abacha saga.
Hate him or Like him, but i think Obasanjo is one of the most brilliant military strategist in Nigeria. He knows the Military more than any Retired Military Officer living.
If not for his strategic Military insights, Obasanjo wouldnt have survived as Head of State following the Murtala Mohammed coup. There were known coupists who had vowed that the coups and the bloodbaths will continue. Obasanjo would likely not have survived his First tenure as President as there were some elements in the Military who did not agree that power should go to the south as at then.
Both Obasanjo survived both.
When he became Head of State, he first of all executed all the Coup plotters of the Murtala coup. It was the very first time coup plotters were executed in Nigeria. It served as a deterent to many that were planning coups. Obasanjo also quickly dismantled the Military structured and retired some officers, and posted many other officers out of their domain were they had become too powerful. These neutralised many officers who had become too powerful and able to incite others.
As Civilian President, Obasanjo survived his tenure because of how he quickly deployed same strategy he used to survived as Head of state. Obasanjo as Civilian President dismantled Mililtary hierachy and retired many senior officers. One of the most strategic decision he took then was to re-distribute Military Armoury to the South. During Abacha tenure as Head of State, Abacha had relocated most of the Military Armoury to the North ( Kaduna and Kano) and the South was almost without effective armoury. Obasanjo quickly redistribute these Armory back to the south and brought about a balance in the distribution. These weakened perceived opposition in the Military.[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by itsene: 11:30am On Dec 28, 2020
owobokiri:
Somebody help me; Why is Dimkas coup not defined by Dimkas ethnicity? I mean it was stated clearly that the main reason that led Dimka to unleash that coup was to get rid of core northerners that upstaged Gowon, a fellow middle belter! This led to the killings of Murtala Mohammed and Ibrahim Taiwo, including the attempted elimination of officers that helped Murtalas ascedence to power, most of them northerners! Gowons name was so glaringly written all over the coup that the federal government sought for his repatriation to Nigeria for trial.

He will later be left in the UK to rot while Ojukwu whom he fought against during the war, was pardoned to come back to Nigeria! My questions are; who and who here even know Dimkas ethnic group? Why was the ethnic/regional/sectional motivations behind Dimkas military interjection always downplayed by the media, the government and even the military while Nzeogwus military uprising is conveniently used as an excuse to propel an unending devilish policy of containment against the good people of the former eastern Nigeria!?

Your prejudice will not allow you to seek the truth!
Were T Y Danjuma and Joe Garba working for the " core north" as you call it?
Or was Bissala from the middle belt and who told you Murtala was a core northerner?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 11:31am On Dec 28, 2020
kraftysprouts:

Where can i see it?

You can search and read these books online on : https://books.google.com.ng/books
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by sirabbey(m): 11:33am On Dec 28, 2020
Racoon:

I have all Max Siollun three books and cherish them a lot because they gave clear succinct dirty histroy of all these past military leaders Nigerians are venerating today as gods especially the role the sitting president played in the July 28-29 1966 northern counter-coup killings @ Ikeja Barracks.I have a copy of the "76" movie.I even watch clips yster night.

Interesting, care to share PDF copy of Max Siollun books you have with me?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by BafanaBafana: 11:33am On Dec 28, 2020
thatigboman:
so was the person Ramsey Noah acted as?
Oh no, Obasanjo was 2nd in command to the head of state as at that time. He was already a general by then. The person Ramsey acted as was an captain
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by BafanaBafana: 11:36am On Dec 28, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
can yiu prove this , is there evidence or just street talks
Not street talks, it is recorded in various investigative writings of what happened then. And I also had the opportunity of meeting an active participant in the whole thing who gave me his account (particularly the barracks teasing parts)
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by BafanaBafana: 11:39am On Dec 28, 2020
humilitypays:
stop fabricating lies to suit your hatred and narrative. What nonsense lies are you talking about.

Igbos were also mocking Northerners in 1943 northern massacre of Igbos.

Igbos were also mocking Northerners in 2011 election saga where Buhari lost to Goodluck and Igbo, Yoruba and Southerners in the North got massacred out of their hatred for Igbos too.

Don't worry, it will get to you, we will give reasons why you were killed in cold blood, continue spreading lies told by enemies of innocent people killed in cold blood, continue okay
What I wrote is true. As a matter of fact it is still happening now. I don't hate any tribe
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by SeunNotOwner: 11:40am On Dec 28, 2020
kelfree99:
Since i came to nairaland any Time i ask for help i receive non , some times i get insulted , remember no one knows tommorrow.

Please assist me with funds , and God would never forsake u.

(Union bank)
Stainley Anozie .i

Time registered: July 27, 2020 You are too new to get help. no one know you.

If it is Racoon, I will send him #500 to buy data and continue begging

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by balodihno14(m): 11:42am On Dec 28, 2020
ibietela2:

OBJ and Nzeogwu were friends o but he cast him aside
then, you should asked why Lt. Col. Fajuyi was killed alongside with Gen. Ironsi in ibadan
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by sirabbey(m): 11:42am On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:
interested. Please send to sirabbeyesq2002@yahoo.co.uk Thanks.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Racoon(m): 11:52am On Dec 28, 2020
sirabbey:
Interesting, care to share PDF copy of Max Siollun books you have with me?
Sorry sir-I only have hard copies.PDF copies are available on Amazons, Ebay.
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Omoslim26: 11:57am On Dec 28, 2020
BafanaBafana:

You might be right to an extent. But you should know how the typical Igbo man likes to insult other tribes.
After the coup, igbos printed posters depicting how Nzeogwu was standing over Ahmadu Bello, they released a song titled machine gun talking about how automatic rifles were used to finish off northerners, Igbo traders made jest of their Hausa colleagues in the markets in the north, wives of soldiers made it an issue in the barracks, and then it was a practice of Igbo soldiers to duck behind their desks demonstrating to northern soldiers "na so una premier hide for inside him wife when dem go to kill am.
All these plus what Ironsi was doing or not doing up there led to the unfortunate killings

I am an Igbo man and i dont go about insulting people based on tribe
wen i see an idiot i address the person directly without care of his/her tribe bcus i am sensible enough to know that people are what they are and its got nothing to do with tribe
all those stuffs you outlined there are just hearsay

judge people by their characters and substances stereotyping is a very messed up ideology
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Brooklynsouth(f): 11:59am On Dec 28, 2020
BafanaBafana:

Not street talks, it is recorded in various investigative writings of what happened then. And I also had the opportunity of meeting an active participant in the whole thing who gave me his account (particularly the barracks teasing parts)
continue with your tales of deciet , an investigative writings by who ? Someday the truth will be out and the tables turned
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Omoslim26: 12:03pm On Dec 28, 2020
BafanaBafana:

You might be right to an extent. But you should know how the typical Igbo man likes to insult other tribes.
After the coup, igbos printed posters depicting how Nzeogwu was standing over Ahmadu Bello, they released a song titled machine gun talking about how automatic rifles were used to finish off northerners, Igbo traders made jest of their Hausa colleagues in the markets in the north, wives of soldiers made it an issue in the barracks, and then it was a practice of Igbo soldiers to duck behind their desks demonstrating to northern soldiers "na so una premier hide for inside him wife when dem go to kill am.
All these plus what Ironsi was doing or not doing up there led to the unfortunate killings

I am an Igbo man and i dont go about insulting people based on tribe
wen i see an idiot i address the person directly without care of his/her tribe bcus i am sensible enough to know that people are what they are and its got nothing to do with tribe
all those stuffs you outlined there are just hearsay

judge people by their characters and substances stereotyping is a very messed up ideology
the igbos were hand picked bcus there was already bad blood between them and the north then my grand dad was born before the Union of Nigeria started
and was of the opinion that Lord Lugard did a poor job in evaluating how well we can manage and cope with each other before joining people of diff culture together
Our problem will start to reduce immensely if we all hold unto this mindset

Before we are Igbo,Hausa or Yoruba We are all humans humanity first before anything else
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by zudozz: 12:18pm On Dec 28, 2020
He does his job very well by aiding the killing of harmless igbo women n children..
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by ehinmowo: 12:29pm On Dec 28, 2020
kettykin:
As usual, very gullible Nigerians will believe this.
How can a phone call on 13th Friday cause a deputy head of state to go late to work over child naming. What do these take the rest of Nigerians for

Did you read the article?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Kwara1stson: 12:30pm On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:
I'm sir
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 28, 2020
SeunTheOwner:

Time registered: July 27, 2020 You are too new to get help. no one know you.

If it is Racoon, I will send him #500 to buy data and continue begging

You january 2020 we both registered the same year.
Bro send me money plz

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by icedfire(m): 12:42pm On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

gracias
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by uccheks(m): 12:59pm On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

Please send to;

uchechekwas30@gmail.com

Thanks so much
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by jayflex: 1:01pm On Dec 28, 2020
Alpha100:

Bros send to me please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Abdusalami Abubakar Meets With President Tinubu In Aso Rock / Nigerian Troops Storm Sambisa Forest, Hunt For Boko Haram / Peter Obi: What Governors Earn In Nigeria Is Immoderate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.