Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,356 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

10 Things To Learn From Japan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Things To Learn From Japan (6605 Views)

Things To Know About Yahaya Bello Apc's Replacement / Prof Mohamood Yusuf: Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The New INEC Boss / INEC's New Chairman 'Mahmud Yakubu': 4 Important Things To Know About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by room702(m): 2:52pm On Mar 29, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

It was all over the news everyday and the world watched.

the bit they want you to see is all over the news
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by beeman80: 2:58pm On Mar 29, 2011
Our society has been tailored by poverty hence the emanation of greed in the behavior of an average Nigerian.We can never ever change.Its just the way we are.So sad.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 3:00pm On Mar 29, 2011
room702:

i read the whole thing. you can not tell me the whole country was like that list because the camera was ban from some places  and i believe it was to avoid embarassement.
the threadstarter made it look like all Nigerians are like animals. God forbid, if disaster strikes in Nigeria there are places where that list can be derived.
Na true sha, it could even be their minister of information or whatever institution is really good at making their country look good.

What really tripped me was a road that was damaged but repaired only 6 days later, while Ibadan-lagos express way is taking forever.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by EzeUche(m): 3:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
I think change can come if the either we go to back to our pre-colonial state or purges. Either way, you cannot overcome the ethnic affiliation, religious affiliation or regional affiliation without this happening.

Who says that democracy is the right thing for us?

The Japanese had to overcome a lot to get to that point. Learn about Japanese history and you will see how the island has seen its fair share of conflict over the centuries. The warring Daimyo and their vassals fighting for control of the island. It wasn't until the Tokugawa Shogunate, in which the Japense people seen real unity.

And they were able to modernize during the Meiji restoration, where the Japanese Emperor was seen as paramount.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Arosa(m): 3:03pm On Mar 29, 2011
I think Nigerians hate Nigeria. they don't want the best for the country.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Bawss1(m): 3:07pm On Mar 29, 2011
It is shameful that some posters want to reduce every thread that appears in this section to party politics. There are some things that are much bigger than that - like the lessons the OP cites - and we should never relent in striving for such things. angry
Double shame also to the posters who fail to see how we can learn from the recent events in Japan. Such people number themselves among those who are fast losing their humanity. sad
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Arosa(m): 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2011
Nigerians will never learn that is the problem, if you tell them to learn from the best they will tell you; it's inferiority complex.  angry. this is the only deference between oyinbo and dudu. oyinbo is always learning from the best.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Ikengawo: 3:23pm On Mar 29, 2011
This is not about nigeria and japan's 'leaders'

these were actions taken by the PEOPLE in japan.
the PEOPLE in japan handled it well. the same way the PEOPLE in nigeria keep blowing each other up

The nigerian psyche had been damaged over time by poverty.

It's hard to see this kind of attitude in an impoverished 3rd world country where people lack the basic necessities of life.
no. The nigerian psyche caused nigeria's poverty over time.
Japan was once an impoverished 3rd world country.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Pukkah: 3:25pm On Mar 29, 2011
EzeUche:

^^^

Our old religions were just as strict and principles, before we embraced these foreign religions.

Valid point.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by koyuid(m): 3:26pm On Mar 29, 2011
Always making excuses! poverty, corruption, colonialism, slavery etc

the truth is our people are shallow minded.

think about it, or sorry you cant cos you are shallow minded.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Pukkah: 3:37pm On Mar 29, 2011
blink182:

I must say I'm shocked to see such from people who are not into Christianity religiousness

Is this a case of by their fruits, you shall know them?
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by maclatunji: 3:52pm On Mar 29, 2011
Okay, for you all who are shocked/angered/bemused by what I posted first. Here is the link to my thread that shows my thoughts on the Japan-Nigeria Connection as regards the natural disasters.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-623908.0.html

Note I created this thread on March 15, 2011.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by maclatunji: 3:56pm On Mar 29, 2011
Let me copy and paste it here for the record. I asked a question and instead of answering it, people are asking; "why are you asking the question?"

[b]Nigeria, our country is a place where our leaders have mastered the art of giving excuses for abysmal failure. Over 50 years after Independence, Nigeria cannot provide constant electricity in a single city, talk-less of its entire territory. Not only that, we are reportedly the largest importer of generators. We still import petroleum products and are still prone to fuel queues kilometers long at the slightest hint of trouble. This is despite the fact that we are the largest crude oil producer in Africa!

In most of our cities, chaos and disorderliness hold sway as ordinary citizens and law enforcement agents compete at who is better at breaking the law!

Let us then compare our country to Japan. This is a country which was all but totally destroyed after the second world war. Within 2 decades, it had shaken-off most of the challenges that came from losing that brutal war and by the 1980s had become a major manufacturer of cars and electronics with household names like Toyota, Sony, Toshiba, Honda, Suzuki, Canon, Fuji (the list is long).

While it takes next-to-nothing to have black-out across Nigeria and crippling fuel scarcity, it took the combined effects of an enormous earthquake, a tsunami and a nuclear crisis for Japan to experience electricity cuts (mind you, their current electricity supply is still a far-off dream for us in Nigeria) and for there to be fuel-queues at their petrol stations.

It is also pertinent to note that the people of Japan in the midst of an obvious calamity did not panic or turn to anarchists (just imagine the mayhem that we inflict on ourselves because of lack of discipline in Lagos/Abuja traffic everyday). I even saw Japanese department store workers trying to prevent product shelves from tipping-over in the midst of an on-going earthquake! Such is the Japanese sense of duty and discipline.

You might be wondering, where am I going with all of this? Well for starters, let each of us start with himself; be a responsible individual to yourself, wife, children parents, co-workers and strive to do the right thing at all times.

In terms of the state of our country, we are lucky that we have an opportunity next month to begin to reverse the rot that is eating-away at our collective progress as a nation. Educate yourself about the political process; find-out how it works, who the candidates are and what they stand for based on their records.

Support candidates who provide the best alternative amongst the contending parties. Educate those you have influence on to do the same and support all legal and positive media to protect the electoral process from sabotage in order to ensure that the true will of Nigerians is reflected in the results to be announced by Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

When all the winners of the election have been sworn-in, engage them to ensure that they perform their duties diligently and fulfill their electoral promises. With these small but significant steps, maybe we as a people and nation can stop being the joke that we currently are and take our rightful place in the league of nations that lead the world for the better.

[/b]
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 4:01pm On Mar 29, 2011
@Op, did u mention ''we've learnt how to swim??  lipsrsealed undecided grin
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by ayomifull(f): 4:14pm On Mar 29, 2011
Ikengawo:

This is not about nigeria and japan's 'leaders'

these were actions taken by the PEOPLE in japan.
the PEOPLE in japan handled it well. the same way the PEOPLE in nigeria keep blowing each other up
no. The nigerian psyche caused nigeria's poverty over time.
Japan was once an impoverished 3rd world country.

It is not about the govt all the time it is the people, it is not about the country but the people try visiting a Nigerian embassy even in the most developed country and see how 'orderly' we are.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by johnjoel(m): 4:17pm On Mar 29, 2011
the truth remains that people learn from their weakness
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nicepoker(m): 4:28pm On Mar 29, 2011
Japan is a country quite different from nigeria i like their attitude.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by leMuhito(f): 4:30pm On Mar 29, 2011
Great lessons
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Mubz(m): 4:32pm On Mar 29, 2011
Arosa:

I think Nigerians hate Nigeria. they don't want the best for the country.

The is by far the most reasonable post here, smh
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by maclatunji: 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2011
Mubz:

The is by far the most reasonable post here, smh

Wrong there, there is so much hate for the way Nigeria is at the moment and not our beautiful country. We must not just highlight the good things in other countries, we must identify and implement ways of achieving them by all legal means.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by ideylaff: 5:19pm On Mar 29, 2011
Wrong there, there is so much hate for the way Nigeria is at the moment and not our beautiful country. We must not just highlight the good things in other countries, we must identify and implement ways of achieving them by all legal means.

@ maclatunji  God bless for your last 2 post and also for not taking offence to my rant after you posted 1st on the thread.

You are indeed a genuine and real man. We need more of u in the country

1 who can take criticism on the chin and fix where you think you erred. Not a single word back to me means
you are a rare person,

YOU ARE THE MAN, I OWE YOU SOMETHING,

NL 'ers, please put your hands together for @ maclatunji ,  wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by oderemo(m): 5:30pm On Mar 29, 2011
@mclatunji,if only it is that simple to correct all our ills thru legal means.i pray and partake in your enthusiasm for change and once we all realise it is achievable then we can one day hopefully take on the arduous challenge.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 29, 2011
I think Black people in general have a problem with developing themselves.
Not just Nigerian but those countries with blacks.
Even in Haiti after the earthquake, they took to looting and raping and further damaging the destroyed country.
I think it as something to do with the genetic make up of black people. I don't think our disorderliness and indiscipline is due to lack of patroitism.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by eghost247(m): 5:56pm On Mar 29, 2011
Seconded
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Arosa(m): 6:13pm On Mar 29, 2011
fellis:

Even in Haiti after the earthquake, they took to looting and despoiling and further damaging the destroyed country.
I think it as something to do with the genetic make up of black people. I don't think our disorderliness and indiscipline is due to lack of patroitism.
Here we go again. mumu psudo scientist.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by ideylaff: 6:16pm On Mar 29, 2011
Even in Haiti after the earthquake, they took to looting and despoiling and further damaging the destroyed country.

GBAM, u have spoken,
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 29, 2011
I heard a story about a time gone by in Yorubaland, when a farmer could leave his produce by the road side and denote the price by some pebbles or something like that. And passersby would pick what they need and leave the correct amount.

That was a time when the culture of omoluabi was still in effect. When people would do the right thing, even when no one was watching.

These days there are people who would even harvest your crop behind your back! Somehow, the Japanese managed to hold on to their values while Africans jettisoned theirs for what they believe is modernity.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by ideylaff: 6:38pm On Mar 29, 2011
I  grew up when people never used to lock their cars with keys and houses never had gates, like KiriKiri

Later I remember the only thing bn stolen by robbers then was

The Stereo set in the car or if they come in, they eat the meat in the pot of stew,  embarassed

anyone remember , ?]
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by maclatunji: 6:40pm On Mar 29, 2011
ideylaff:

@ maclatunji  God bless for your last 2 post and also for not taking offence to my rant after you posted 1st on the thread.

You are indeed a genuine and real man. We need more of u in the country

1 who can take criticism on the chin and fix where you think you erred. Not a single word back to me means
you are a rare person,

Thank you my brother, I understand you perfectly.

ode remo link=topic=633857.msg8011417#msg8011417 date=1301416248:

@mclatunji,if only it is that simple to correct all our ills thru legal means.i pray and partake in your enthusiasm for change and once we all realise it is achievable then we can one day hopefully take on the arduous challenge.

YOU ARE THE MAN, I OWE YOU SOMETHING,

NL 'ers, please put your hands together for @ maclatunji ,  wink wink wink wink wink wink

We must not fall for the trap of those destroying the fabric of this nation. What they want to achieve is a situation where the progressives will feel that the only way we can achieve positive change is to break the law(however imperfect it is). Then they can use that as an excuse to unleash their tools of oppression on the entire nation. It is a difficult balance to maintain but with persistence Nigeria can truly be great.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2011
ideylaff:

they eat the meat in the pot of stew,  embarassed

anyone remember , ?]

LOL
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by Lanreseg(m): 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2011
The day you start comparing your status, achievement, sucess et al, With another
It is from that moment you start to die.
Inshort tell me the important of  gooddies in life without peace? If u av a gud character then why not fly to japan. Great Nigerians God is Good, Whereas Nigeria is just 50 tell what japan or united states achieved when they are at that age? Now tell me if we can't reach, conquer, and surpass them.
Re: 10 Things To Learn From Japan by maclatunji: 6:56pm On Mar 29, 2011
Lanreseg:

The day you start comparing your status, achievement, sucess et al, With another
It is from that moment you start to die.
Inshort tell me the important of  gooddies in life without peace? If u av a gud character then why not fly to japan. Great Nigerians God is Good, Whereas Nigeria is just 50 tell what japan or united states achieved when they are at that age? Now tell me if we can't reach, conquer, and surpass them.

So are you suggesting that prior to our Independence in 1960, Nigerians do not have any contribution to the development of the human race? Or are you coming from a religious schism?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Sate In Nigeria Has The Highest Number Of Billionaires / There Will Be Nothing Like Isreal In 25 Years-khamenei / Biafra: Adekunle’s Wartime Interview With German Randolph Baumann, Of Stern Maga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.