Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari (7903 Views)

Pdp Thrashing Acn In Lagos, Its All Over For Ribadu And Buhari / Breaking News:ribadu And Shekarau Pull Out Of Presidential Race, Approves Buhari! / Why Yar’adua Wants Ribadu Out - Plans To Prosecute Obasanjo, Ribadu And El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 2:32pm On Mar 29, 2011
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/change-2011-the-south-west-dilemma.html

Extracts from an article with the link above, you could go read it from the begining.

I have chosen to address this article to the people of the South West because besides being the bastion of Nigerian intellectuals and where our nation’s economic nerve centre is located, it has the 2nd largest voting bloc in the nation. Also, this region contains the largest number of swing-votes in this election. It is therefore imperative that we vote our conscience and cast our votes based on the antecedents of these leading candidates. Since achieving this might require acquaintance with the personalities of these candidates, it is only desirable that we examine the political antecedents of the candidates.

To start with, Mallam Mallam Nuhu Ribadu antecedents will be firstly examined.  I have seen Ribadu talk in forums in the UK and could not but admire him for his courage and passion for change in Nigeria. Ribadu is that man who, during Obasanjo’s reign, fought corruption with rare vigour, although many are of the opinion that he was selective in his approach. Regardless of one’s take on his approach, he made efforts which should be commended. However, I have become increasingly disillusioned and confused by his actions in recent times. One of this recent developments which made me grow disenchanted with Ribadu was a speech  which he delivered in Abuja at the launch of a book, entitled: ‘Nigeria: Half a Century of Progress and Challenges’  by Constance Ikokwu, a Deputy Editor with Thisday Newspapers.

Ribadu said, “this is a rich country, 12 years, how much do you think we earn in this country. We earn over $400billion. That money is enough to change Nigeria. That money is wasted.

“That money is with few people. That money is with PDP. They messed up. This is a country 12 years they have been in government, they brought bombs and kidnapping to us. We didn’t know all those things before. We cannot say 12 years is too small to make meaningful impacts in people’s lives. That is totally unfair.

“This is a country that is so rich in human and natural resources, those who are in charge mess and destroy our chance and possibility to gain a country that all of us will be proud of .Twelve years is big enough for you to make a change in the life of people”- The Nation, 23 March 2011.

Although these are statements of fact, is it not hypocritical of Ribadu to make such comments? Why? we may want to know. Nuhu was part and parcel of the PDP government for 4 of those 12 years and he prides himself as being part of OBJ’s economic team. Based on his role as a prominent member of this economic team, Ribadu has, on a number of occasions, stated that he has garnered the experience needed to rule the country.

If a Ribadu will laud his experience with one side of his mouth and then castigate PDP with the other side of his mouth, one may find that hypocritical. PDP made Ribadu what he is today and at the twilight of his days at the EFCC, he was full of praise for OBJ’s administration, an administration whose party’s “ 12 years [, ] in government, […] brought bombs and kidnapping to us. We didn’t know all those things before. We cannot say 12 years is too small to make meaningful impacts in people’s lives. That is totally unfair.” It seems Ribadu is guilty of speaking with both sides of his mouth. One may also contend that such unguided outburst smacks of opportunism than patriotism and further still, portrays him as a desperate politician who is trying to pull others down for him to rise up. El Rufai was able to articulate to Nigerians the reasons why he made a u turn, he accepted some mistakes were made and one cannot remember him castigating 12 years of PDP the way Ribadu has done. This tendency also reminds one of  Ribadu´s corruption list of 2007 that included Lanre Tejuosho, somone who never held any government position but whose crime was that he dared contesting against Iyabo Obasanjo.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 2:33pm On Mar 29, 2011
It appears that Ribadu also showed such tendecious traits in Bode George’s saga. This issue was examined by one Mr Abudugana. As cited in his piercing article, Feb 2007,  Nuhu Ribadu as EFCC chairman granted an interview to the The News magazine during which he stated that, “Olabode George was never an executive officer of NPA. He was a part-time Chairman. It is the Executive Managing Director who runs the place; it was the MD’s name that appeared in all the contract papers of NPA. Olabode George was a part-time Chairman whose name was never on any contract paper”.

I marvel, upon the  the pronouncement by Justice Olubumi Oyewole which sentenced Olabode George to a deserved two years imprisonment without an option of fine, Nuhu stated that the ruling “is a measure of the shamelessness of our elite and the institutions that fuel their values. That Chief George could be awarded a national honour in our country and that he could later sue some newspapers for libel on account of the damming indictment report I prepared against him.”

The foregoing makes Ribadu guilty of capricious speaking; therefore, we have to wonder what could have changed in Ribadu within the last three years. Is the change due to the fact that Ribadu was only playing to the gallery of OBJ when he exonerated Bode George? Only Ribadu can answer this question.

Ribadu’s inconsistency is also shown on his romance with Bola Tinubu. The GEJ team accused Ribadu of lacking integrity by forming bonds with Tinubu while he talked of his corruption being of international dimension. Ribadu was asked a direct question by Kadira Ahmed in the debate on NN24, if Ribadu was able to exonerate Tinubu of corruption of any kind.  Ribadu answered by saying he had enormous regards for Bola Tinubu and praised the latter without clearly saying “I can exonerate Bola Tinubu of any kind of corruption” which should have been the reply to Kadira´s direct question.

The issue of Dame Jonathan it is of public knowledge and I will also like to paraphrase from the article. Our attention was brought to a case with suit number FHC/ABJ/M/340/06, filed on August 21, 2007 at the Federal High Court, Abuja. As indicated in this file, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu-led EFCC named Mrs. Patience Jonathan, wife of Goodluck Jonathan, as an accomplice in the N104million-money laundering case involving one Mrs. Nancy Ebere Nwosu. The amount in question was stated in this file to be laundered on the order of Mrs Patience Goodluck into a First Bank of Nigeria account number 3292010060711 held in the name of Nansolyvan Public Relations Limited by one Hanner Offor.

Another interesting document is the EFFC’s affidavit used in supporting the above mentioned suit’s originating summons. In this document, Ofem Uket, the then EFCC prosecuting officer declared, “Our investigations revealed that Mrs. Patience Jonathan, wife of the Governor of Bayelsa State, was the person who instructed one Hanner Offor to launder the said sum of N104, 000, 000 into the account of Nansolyvan Public Relations Limited with First Bank of Nigeria Plc (FBN), Niger House, Marina, Lagos”.

Fast forwarding to 2010 and Ribadu said “I never handled a case against Patience Jonathan, never; it’s a lie. You know it is so sad because in our country this is how we go about maligning people. But today thank God I am not in his government. So, I can open up and talk. If I were to say it earlier people would have thought that I was looking for job from President Goodluck Jonathan. I am not looking for anything. But the truth must be told.” (The Nation, September 16, 2010). Clearly, someone is being economical with the truth regarding this issue. We can establish Patience was not the directly accused person but was an accomplice as stated in the suit. It is very strange for Ribadu to insist he had never handled any case involving the president’s wife.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 2:35pm On Mar 29, 2011
It continues . . .

The final straw for me was the widely reported visit of Ribadu accompanied by Bisi Akande to the hilltop mansion of IBB to seek his endorsement for the 2011 election. He received IBB’s generous endorsement for a generational change. Something is clearly not right as Ribadu spent close to two years in Europe and the US campaigning against corruption in Nigeria, speaking about how former leaders squandered billions, how everything was wrong with Nigeria and how Nigeria was in the hands of a selfish cabal. That the same Ribadu now chose to seek the support of a person he had previously castigated is hypocritical in the least.

The generational change being talked about is not a new phenomenon as in the last 12 years. Lots of young people have been governors, ministers and held other plum positions, but allegations of corruption have been thrown at most of them. Saminu Turaki was governor at the age of 36, Orji Kalu was governor at 39, Dimeji Bankole was speaker at 37, Fani Kayode was a minister in his 40s. As the list could go on, so is the case with allegations of corruption and bad administration hanging on their necks. Corruption knows no age and the political will to effect change is not a age thing; a good administrator will be good at 30 and still, be good at 70. I belong to the young generation but at this delicate time in Nigeria’s history, a competent and capable man is what is required.

Since Ribadu´s campaigns has been focused on change and the belief that that the common people could make a change, I wonder why he could not stick to the common people of Niger state instead of seeking the support of a man widely regarded as the one who legalised corruption in Nigeria. More strange was the absence of Tinubu at the visit which depicts his smartness and political sagacity as such appearance might be a political suicide for him in the South West.

Here again, something comes to mind and this is the well-known knowledge on how Tinubu and his boys reportedly fled from Edo state about six months ago on hearing that they were to share a podium with IBB. Is it not contradictory and inconsistent for the same ACN to go visit the same IBB? The same IBB they refused to share a podium with and more strangely this visit was in his home of which he hosted them to lunch.

Nigeria at this juncture requires a consistent leader we know exactly what he stands for. A leader whose words could be taken to the bank and a leader whose support base is not in the hands of a few politicians. Buhari and Bakare appear to be two honest men who posses these qualities and have shown consistency of purpose, sincerity of actions and integrity of character.

The people of the southwest, can we please vote for Buhari and Bakare, whom, we can all confidently say their godfather is the Igbo woman who gave the BB-campaign cars because during the PTF days, she was awarded contracts without ever bribing anyone or seeing Buhari. The BB2011 godfathers are the almajiri and talakwas in the north who identify with the man that has stood by them while others have abandoned them. Buhari´s godfather is the manager of today who benefited from PTF activities while at the university in the mid 90s; his godfather is the common man in the south east village where PTF´s built hospital is still the only hospital in the village. In fact Buharis godfather is you and me and his allegiance will also be to you and me and not the selfish power drunk godfathers.

We should be wary of wolfs who come to us in sheep’s clothing, people who pretend to be what they are not and in El Rufais words “Ribadu is my friend and I know his limitations . .” El Rufai who is Ribadu´s close friend chose to support the Buhari Bakare ticket for a reason of which he has stated. I urge the good people of the south west to vote en masse for Buhari Bakare for a genuine change to come to Nigeria. The BB2011 ticket needs our support for victory; they need our swing-vote in this election, therefore, my appeal is that the good people of the South West should vote for the general who has done it before and can do it again.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Gbawe: 2:46pm On Mar 29, 2011
@topic.

That is the writers opinion and he is entitled to it . Responsible adults can read the opinion of others and make what they want of it . This writers opinion does not amount to empirical condemnation of Ribadu and , in the minds of many, it still wont do enough to now make them see Buhari as better than Ribadu.

If I remember correctly , Wole Soyinka wrote glowingly praising Ribadu as the man for the job while he scathingly rejected Buhari for our number one position. It is the same for many progressives. They simply won't embrace Buhari regardless of the campaign of calumny against Ribadu.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by seanet02: 2:58pm On Mar 29, 2011
God forbid me voting for Buhari, a day to the day i will vote for Buhari at the expense of Ribadu, God should simply called me towards heaven. Buhari may be incorruptible as Ribadu but what about his Humanitarian Record? And moreover, Somebody that jail Awo is not somebody i can vote for especially when the charges are trumped up ones. To hell with B?B! Ribadu all the way
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by dayokanu(m): 3:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
seanet02:

God forbid me voting for Buhari, a day to the day i will vote for Buhari at the expense of Ribadu, God should simply called me towards heaven. Buhari may be incorruptible as Ribadu but what about his Humanitarian Record? And moreover, Somebody that jail Awo is not somebody i can vote for especially when the charges are trumped up ones. To hell with B?B! Ribadu all the way

Did Buhari jail Awolowo?
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by naso2(m): 3:07pm On Mar 29, 2011
dayokanu:

Did Buhari jail Awolowo?

No Buhari did not jail Awo, Buhari was/is just a very very close friend of the Abachas even in the days of terror and looting.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by doctorT(m): 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2011
seanet02:

Whether you vote BB or not it does not matter. Let's wait and see. Let's just kick out PDP.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 3:18pm On Mar 29, 2011
Gbawe:

@topic.

That is the writers opinion and he is entitled to it . Responsible adults can read the opinion of others and make what they want of it . This writers opinion does not amount to empirical condemnation of Ribadu and , in the minds of many, it still wont do enough to now make them see Buhari as better than Ribadu.

If I remember correctly , Wole Soyinka wrote glowingly praising Ribadu as the man for the job while he scathingly rejected Buhari for our number one position. It is the same for many progressives. They simply won't embrace Buhari regardless of the campaign of calumny against Ribadu.

Very true words you spoke about opinion, in every political debate everyone inclines to an opinion. In a govt without PDP in April , it would be great for CPC and ACN to all work together for a better Nigeria.

Hilary and Obama were engeged in more bitter fights both are working together today for the good of the US.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by seanet02: 3:23pm On Mar 29, 2011
dayokanu:

Did Buhari jail Awolowo?
How Buhari humiliated Awolowo, other Yoruba leaders – Babatope
By Our correspondents
Published: Sunday, 14 Jan 2007

Chief Ebenezer Babatope, a stalwart of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, in this analysis, reacts to the interview granted Sunday Punch on January 7, 2007 by Chief Ayo Adebanjo on the current romance between some South-West leaders and Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, in spite of what he calls the latter’s humiliation of Chief Obafemi Awolowo and other political leaders in the past.

It is no longer news that some respected leaders of political opinion from the South-West have expressed their interest and support for the General Muhammadu Buhari presidential ambition. Notable among these leaders are Chief Ayo Adebanjo and Chief Olu Falae, of the Democratic Peoples Alliance and Uncle Tunji Braithwaite, the leader of the Nigeria Advance Party (NAP).

Chief Adebanjo, who never speak with his tongue in his cheek, expressed in an interview with the Sunday Punch of January 7, 2007 the support of his group for the Buhari ambition. Chief Adebanjo had said inter alia: “The first is that we will get somebody who can deal with the PDP menace. All what we are doing is to gather relevant forces together, There was an agreement with Buhari to effect the restructuring of Nigeria into real Federal System and also guarantee the autonomy of the ethnic groups.”

Let me say from the onset that the South-West leaders, who have expressed support for the Buhari ambition have every democratic right to do so. Freedom of choice and freedom of expression are essential features of democratic traditions. Let me also state that these leaders are credible leaders judging by their antecedents in Nigeria’s history. It is my position, however, that they can speak for themselves and their political organisations. They cannot, with respect, commit the good people of the South- West zone to a blind support for any candidate in the coming 2007 presidential elections.

Let me also make it very clear that Gen. Buhari is a free Nigerian citizen with the inalienable right to contest for any political position of his delight. In politics, however, every participant or candidate must answer to his life deeds and actions.

When the Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, a.k.a ‘Bros Kongi’, cautioned the South-West leaders on their enthusiasm for a Buhari Presidency in Thisday publication of January 4, 2007, he was speaking the minds of many Nigerians who know the truth about Gen. Buhari and his ambition.

Nigerians are a politically volatile people. It is the strength of our socio-political existence. Nigerians have shown from their history that tyranny can never succeed here. It is equally a known trait of Nigerians that they have a forgiven spirit when they see repentance in the actions of any of their erring sons and daughters.

Gen. Buhari once ruled this country after the coup of the ‘Beret’ Generals on December 31, 1983 for 20 months. While he has defended some aspects of his rule with all the emphasis at his command, he has refused till this day to offer simple apologies to Nigerians on the tragic and sadistic consequences of his military autocratic rule.

A few days after he assumed power, a manhunt for the political actors of the second republic was ordered by his regime under his supervision. Many politicians at that time either died in detention or carried scars that they still nurse from their long prison incarceration till this day.

Three days after he assumed power, an invasion of Papa Obafemi Awolowo’s house at Apapa, Lagos was ordered by the Buhari-led military regime and the space that Papa Awolowo used in his house for Christian worship was desecrated by the invading soldiers sent by Buhari and his men. Papa Awolowo remains till this day one of the builders of modem Nigeria. He, along with Sir Ahmadu Bello the Sardauna of Sokoto, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and Papa Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe had led Nigeria to independence from British Colonial rule on October 1, 1960.

Though Gen. Buhari did explain in later that the invasion of Papa Awolowo’s house at Apapa had been carried out by a soldier he described as “a fifth Columnist in our regime,” other actions from Buhari in the same year (1984) did prove conclusively that he and his regime had been uncharitable (with respect to his person) in their treatment of one of the founders of this country.

Though Papa Awolowo was not detained, it is, however, true that Gen. Buhari’s regime stationed soldiers at Ikenne, the hometown of the late sage, throughout his rule. It was to intimidate the old man. This, however, never dissuaded Papa Awo from speaking out his mind on national issues whenever he felt he should do so.

When Papa Awolowo was asked by inquisitive Nigerian journalists about his impressions on the Buhari military regime, a few days after the coup, Papa had replied “the omens are still bad.”

When the Buhari military headquarters that some governors of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) led by Papa Awolowo in the second republic had confessed to obtaining kickbacks while in government, Papa Awolowo in a press conference, refuted the claim and told the world the truth about the distortion of Buhari and his men inside Dodan Barracks. The result of Papa’s press conference was a dispersal of detained politicians to remote areas of the country and a total cancellation of visits by relations of these detained politicians for the duration of the regime. Gen. Buhari impounded the official passport of Papa Awolowo and denied the old man visits to his doctors at Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minnesota, USA for the years he ruled Nigeria. Papa Awolowo’s passport was only returned to him with courtesies by Gen. Ibrahim Babangida after the coup of 1985 that had ousted Buhari from power. Babangida had sent Lt. Gen. Aliyu Mohammed Gusau to return Papa’s passport with apologies from the Nigerian Armed Forces.

Many of Papa Awolowo’s lieutenants were incarcerated by the Buhari regime for no just cause. The late Papa Adekunle Ajasin, who as the governor of old Ondo State never spent one thousand naira from his security vote throughout his rule, was detained at old age for several months by the Buhari rule. All entreaties to get the old man released from prison failed.

The late Chief Olabisi Onabanjo, the Aiyekoto himself, was picked up from the Lagos University Teaching Hospital three days after an operation by security operatives during the Buhari rule and sent to Bauchi prison. The late Professor Ambrose Mofolorunso Alli, Alhaji Lateef Kayode Jakande, Uncle Bola Ige, Chief Dele Ige, Dr. Wale Idris, Dr. Femi Okurounmu, the late Ganiyu Dawodu, the late Chief M.C.K. Ajuluchukwu, Chief Mrs. Osomo, Prince Yemi Adefulu, the late Alhaji Agbabiaka and myself were sent to long incarceration by the Buhari terror rule.

Within six months of the Buhari-led military administration, Papa Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuade and the highly respected Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero were all dealt with by the Buhari regime. Though not detained, these traditional rulers were virtually restricted to their palaces and their passports seized. The Buhari regime was to later state that the measures were imposed on the traditional fathers as a result of a reported visit to Israel.

Chief Solomon Lar, Alhaji Abubakar Rimi, Chief Jimi Nwobodo and some other prominent politicians of the second republic who were detained by General Muhammadu Buhari are alive to confirm the fact that sometime in 1984, security operatives from the Gen. Buhari military stable had visited detained politicians in their various prisons to ‘brief’ them on an alleged plan by Papa Awolowo; Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuade; and the UPN leaders to effect a coup in Nigeria before the December 31, 1983 military putsch and declare a Republic of Oduduwa. The detained politicians were told that the alleged Awo-led coup was meant to exterminate political leaders who are not of the Yoruba stock.

Gen. Buhari is now being painted as a lover of the Yoruba nation. This is, however, possible but not visible to many judging from what is known about the man and his ideas when he was the Chairman of the Petroleum Trust Fund, established by the regime of late Gen. Sani Abacha. Only a few areas of the South- West saw signs of the PTF operations and these were due to the unrelenting efforts of Chief Akpata (Secretary to the PTF) and the late Chief Rufus Giwa. Chief Tayo Akpata’s pro South-West stance is not accidental. He comes from a family with long held progressive tradition. His brothers: the late Senator Olu Akpata (a close friend and ally of Papa Awolowo) and the late Bankole Akpata a.k.a ‘Bankie forever’ (former aide of the late Pan Africanist Osagyfo Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana) and himself (Tayo), had contributed immensely to progressive opinions in the country.

I have not written the above to deliberately smear Buhari with my personal feelings against him arising from what he did to me when he was in power. I have written the above to let the world know some of the facts of history that surround a former military ruler who is now being presented by some of our leaders as being one of the most committed democrats our dear country has ever seen.

It will be wrong for me not to admit that despite the crude tyranny of the Buhari regime, he (Buhari) is a man who is without doubt strong willed and committed to the anti corruption struggle. It is, however, worthy of mention that Buhari, who wants to govern Nigeria as civilian president, has refused since 2003 elections to recognize the Federal Government headed by President Olusegun Obasanjo. Since 2003, Buhari has refused to attend all meetings of Council of State called by President Obasanjo. Buhari’s refusal to attend these meetings has been anchored on what he called his frustrations over the conduct of the presidential election of 2003. Thank God that he attended the last Council of State meeting over the census results. This is, however, for understandable reasons.

Let me humbly submit here that despite bitterness over the 1979 elections that had led to Alhaji Shehu Shagari becoming the President of Nigeria, there was never a time that Papa Awolowo had shunned all the meetings called by Alhaji Shehu Shagari between 1979 and 1983.

When President Shagari honoured Papa Awo with the award of the Grand Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Papa was there with his wife, Mama (Mrs.) Hannah Idowu Dideolu Awolowo to receive it. Papa Awolowo made all of us to understand that Alhaji Shagari was de facto and dejure President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Papa Awolowo stated his stand in the following words: “If I refuse to honour President Shagari’s meetings, it is not he (Shagari) that I will be insulting. It is Nigeria that I will be insulting. I will never want history to record me as having insulted Nigeria.”

This is very instructive indeed. Though there are now many ways of judging who a progressive is in Nigeria, it is strange that Buhari is being rated a progressive while Governor Umar Musa Yar’Adua of Katsina State is being denied his past as a progressive because he (Yar’Adua) belongs to a camp not embraced by some of our leaders.

Very soon, God will open the eyes of all Nigerians to the fact that Governor Umar Yar’Adua has been a part of the Nigerian progressive family for long. He was one of the young men that participated in the 1977 All Nigerian Socialist Conference held in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State, under the auspices of Movement for People’s Democracy” put together by the late Comrade Ola Oni, the late Dr. Akin Fadahunsi, the late Bala Usman, Dr. Omafume Onoge, Dr. Akin Ojo, Comrade Laoye Sanda, the late Muhammadu Tukur, Egbon Baba Omojola, Edwin Ike Madunagu, the late Dr. Bade Onimode, the late Josiah Sunday Olawoyin, Professor Femi Odekunle, Bassey Ekpo Bassey, Arthur Nwankwo and myself.

Umar Yar’Adua was a known member of the Mallam Aminu Kano led Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) during the second republic. He was very close politically to the late revolutionary historian Comrade Bala Usman.

As a senior lecturer at the Kaduna Polytechnic, the leftist leaning of Umar Musa Yar’Adua was known to all the students who passed through that institution at that time.

It is, indeed, interesting that it is Gen. Buhari, who is now the political darling of some leaders who in their history have been dogged fighters of the progressive movement in Nigeria. It is the Nigerian people who have the final say with their votes on who they will want to see as their president after the President Olusegun Obasanjo led adminstration. No matter what is written by me and others, the people will by the grace of God express their choice of who their rulers should be with their votes in the April 2007 elections.

If it is the wish of God and the good people of Nigeria that Gen. Buhari will be the next president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, so be it. No one can alter or challenge the supreme will of our maker.

We must, however, let ‘The truth be told’ (apologies to author MUFFET). By the grace of God, Nigerians will pronounce their verdict soon.

Judgment is, however, not ours. The final judgment of events lies with God. God bless Nigeria.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200701141554785
Note the first bolded Part of the article
That one is not an act of Imprisonment abi?
I will never vote for a bulldog!!
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 3:33pm On Mar 29, 2011
This is what we need a leader that has the guts to send IBB to jail, the guts that will send shivers down all the looters who have failed to let us progreess.

All these unnecceassary sentiments being sprewed does not remove the fact that we have to move foward. The arrest of these men whose egos have failed to move Nigeria foward should not stop us from progressing.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 3:35pm On Mar 29, 2011
By the way he never jailed Awolowo like you have claimed here, Awo passport was siezed period!!. It was the government of ironsi or Gowon that jailed Awo if i am not mistaken.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Pataki: 3:47pm On Mar 29, 2011
Ribadu’s inconsistency is also shown on his romance with Bola Tinubu. The GEJ team accused Ribadu of lacking integrity by forming bonds with Tinubu while he talked of his corruption being of international dimension. Ribadu was asked a direct question by Kadira Ahmed in the debate on NN24, if Ribadu was able to exonerate Tinubu of corruption of any kind. Ribadu answered by saying he had enormous regards for Bola Tinubu and praised the latter without clearly saying “I can exonerate Bola Tinubu of any kind of corruption” which should have been the reply to Kadira´s direct question.
The writer just expressed my mind and opinion there. For this reason alone, I do not support that man Ribadu.

His inconsistency and penchant for rubbing hands with dubious minded people over and over again makes him highly unworthy for the position of Presidency. Not to even think of his sheer arrogance and disregard for the rule of law attimes. An example to such was during the NN24 debate.

Rubbish.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by dayokanu(m): 4:27pm On Mar 29, 2011
seanet02:

God forbid me voting for Buhari, a day to the day i will vote for Buhari at the expense of Ribadu, God should simply called me towards heaven. Buhari may be incorruptible as Ribadu but what about his Humanitarian Record? And moreover, [size=18pt]Somebody that jail Awo is not somebody i can vote for especially when the charges are trumped up ones.[/size] To hell with B?B! Ribadu all the way

Can you back up your claims in bold?

What trump up charges were levelled against Awolowo and how many months/years did Awolowo spend in jail

We dont need to tell blatant lies just to prove a point
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 4:33pm On Mar 29, 2011
dayokanu:

Can you back up your claims in bold?

What trump up charges were levelled against Awolowo and how many months/years did Awolowo spend in jail

We dont need to tell blatant lies just to prove a point

Dont mind these people, its like some people overhear conversations on the bus and come to NL to post it as facts. Buhari jailed public officials of the 2nd republic, Awolowo was not a public official in the 2nd republic as he lost the election to Shagari.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 5:42pm On Mar 29, 2011
Pataki:

The writer just expressed my mind and opinion there. For this reason alone, I do not support that man Ribadu.

His inconsistency and penchant for rubbing hands with dubious minded people over and over again makes him highly unworthy for the position of Presidency. Not to even think of his sheer arrogance and disregard for the rule of law attimes. An example to such was during the NN24 debate.

Rubbish.

This has been my grudge as well, you cannot be double speaking everytime and playing to the gallery. It is the characteristic of an unprinicpled man IMO, ACN ran away from Edo state because of IBB, ACN goes to visit IBB in his den 5 months later. Consistent pattern of inconsistency is a sign for the wise to see!
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Lagosboy: 6:43pm On Mar 29, 2011
Also, I remember Ribadu arresting Muhammed Babangida in connection with corruoption and looted funds. Ribadu said then Muhammed had no visible work and wondered how he managed to have 20% shares in globacom. I want another debate and Ribadu is asked about if IBB is corrupt.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Katsumoto: 7:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
To be honest, these sort of threads only serve to perpetuate PDP rule in Nigeria. There is a possibility that the election will result in a run-off and it doesn't serve supporters of Ribadu and Buhari well to be engaging in polarising debates as both camps will rely on the other in the event of a run-ff with PDP. The fact remains that neither Ribadu nor Buhari will win this election in the first round.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Wadeoye(m): 7:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
In the South West, we will ensure BB message reaches every corner of the region. Let everybody go home and educate his/her people, otherwise, ACN and their puppet candidate will benefit from the ignorance of our people. Our people normally just vote for the party they see as Yoruba party and since ACN is in that position now, many ignorant votes will go to them especially at the presidential level.

Last week, I was at home to educate my people who were already warming up to vote for ACN - thank God I was at home, close to 100 votes would have gone Ribadu's way but I salvaged these votes for BB.

Let all of us lovers of progress go home or at least call our people at home and educate on who to vote for president - lets spread the message of change.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by dayokanu(m): 7:11pm On Mar 29, 2011
I also told my mom who was preparing to vote for Ribadu about Buhari and she is now going to vote Buhari
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Gbawe: 7:14pm On Mar 29, 2011
Katsumoto:

To be honest, these sort of threads only serve to perpetuate PDP rule in Nigeria. There is a possibility that the election will result in a run-off and it doesn't serve supporters of Ribadu and Buhari well to be engaging in polarising debates as both camps will rely on the other in the event of a run-ff with PDP. The fact remains that neither Ribadu nor Buhari will win this election in the first round.

I quite agree but ask yourself why it is always Buhari fans who start this type of threads aimed at proclaiming their candidates supremacy at the expense of others . They show no vision . They are not gracious or circumspect in speech at all . In short, without provocation, they are self-destructively keen to burn their bridges with how they make enemies needlessly . Most NL Buhari fans are acting like Bakare i.e needlessly bellicose and pugnacious towards everyone and everything like a dazed boxer just swinging wildly at everyone to include the referee and the crew in his own corner.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Pataki: 7:23pm On Mar 29, 2011
Gbawe:

I quite agree but ask yourself why it is always Buhari fans who start this type of threads aimed at proclaiming their candidates supremacy at the expense of others . They show no vision . They are not gracious or circumspect in speech at all . In short, without provocation, they are self-destructively keen to burn their bridges with how they make enemies needlessly . Most NL Buhari fans are acting like Bakare i.e needlessly bellicose and pugnacious towards everyone and everything like a dazed boxer just swinging wildly at everyone to include the referee and the crew in his own corner.
Please spare us this sanctimonious preaching. Did you notice how your ''in-glorious'' Ribadu was always trying to pull down every point Buhari was trying to make in the NN24 debate? ''With respect to the General. . . . I strongly disagree'' - Ribadu.

Unfortunately for him, the last straw of that silly charade from him (Ribadu) bit him hard during that debate! So before you start pointing your needle looking for CPC balloons to burst, you might need to look at where all this started from.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Wadeoye(m): 7:26pm On Mar 29, 2011
@Gbawe, I am not a politician but of course, I used to support ACN in all elections. When the alliance collapsed, I had no option but go in the direction that is inline with my aspiration - the course that I belief will benefit all of us.

Since Tinubu was responsible for the collapse of the alliance in view of selfish VP interest, I will never support anything ACN again until Tinubu leaves that party - even I am reconsidering voting for Fashola.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Katsumoto: 7:37pm On Mar 29, 2011
Wadeoye:

@Gbawe, I am not a politician but of course, I used to support ACN in all elections. When the alliance collapsed, I had no option but go in the direction that is inline with my aspiration - the course that I belief will benefit all of us.

Since Tinubu was responsible for the collapse of the alliance in view of selfish VP interest, I will never support anything ACN again until Tinubu leaves that party - even I am reconsidering voting for Fashola.

So if Ribadu gets into a run-off with GEJ, I assume you will vote PDP.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Gbawe: 7:47pm On Mar 29, 2011
Pataki:

Please spare us this sanctimonious preaching. Did you notice how your ''in-glorious'' Ribadu was always trying to pull down every point Buhari was trying to make in the NN24 debate? ''With respect to the General. . . . I strongly disagree'' - Ribadu.

Unfortunately for him, the last straw of that silly charade from him (Ribadu) bit him hard during that debate! So before you start pointing your needle looking for CPC balloons to burst, you might need to look at where all this started from.

Who is talking to you ? do you have a comprehension deficit? I was addressing katsumoto . I think it is you who should spare us the sanctimonious drivel. If Ribadu criticism of Buhari in a public debate , never mind that Bakare has been doing far worse against Ribadu for much longer, is the signal for messiah worshippers , who really should be balanced and sensible adults, to go on attack against everything associated with Ribadu then please be my guest . Suffice to say that lack of grace and alienation of everyone , Bakare-style ,  is not the way to a Buhari victory. team BB , to me , appears myopic, rude, confrontational and unreasonable . lets look back a little.

Some while back , without provocation , Bakare[b] publicly [/b] attacked Ribadu by claiming ungraciously that Ribadu was trying to hijack the SNG for his political ambition. That he would go public with this inflammatory claim was bad enough yet Ribadu , rather than get down to Bakare's level , replied gracefully (see below) with utmost respect and amiability. Bakare has not stopped since then in testimony to how some folks will take kindness and graciousness for weakness. He has been like a vengeful bull in a China shop since then but I guess you guys only see issues when your messiah and his disciples are criticised . I don't think fairness exist in the dictionary of many Nairaland Buhari BB fans.

Ribadu replies Bakare over political ambition
BY DAVID AJIKOBI

The former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Nuhu Ribadu, has refuted claims that he is plotting to hijack the Save Nigeria Group (SNG) to secure his political relevance in 2011.

According to the press statement by his aide, Chido Onumah, the recent utterances by the pastor of the Latter Day Saints, Tunde Bakare, suggests such and does not in any way reflect the plans of Mr Ribadu. “Nuhu Ribadu’s attention has been drawn to claims in the Sunday (August 15, 2010) sermon of respected preacher, Pastor Tunde Bakare, to the effect that Mr Ribadu desires to hijack the Save Nigeria Group for the purpose of his political ambition,” stated Mr Onumah. “Mr Ribadu strongly refutes this claim and affirms that he has the highest regard for Pastor Bakare and for his patriotic vision espoused through the SNG.”

[b]The former anti-graft czar added that he still salutes the sacrifice, energy, and resources many Nigerians have invested in building the SNG, and hopes it will continue to grow in strength to become a major movement that will deepen democracy and national development. “I am convinced that Pastor Bakare came to his conclusion on a mistaken brief, and I look forward to meeting him soon to assure him that nothing like that ever, or could ever happen, because of the kind of person I am and the philosophy that guides my pubic conduct,” he said.

Mr Ribadu stated that no one can deny the role SNG played, and continues to play, “as our country tries to chart a path to greatness 50 years after independence.” “The SNG has become a mass movement of patriotic Nigerians from different walks of life and political persuasion whose common vision is a new and better Nigeria,” he said. “It would not only be presumptuous but tragic for any individual to think he or she can ‘hijack’ such a people-oriented organisation.[/b]”
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by nulldev: 7:48pm On Mar 29, 2011
Wadeoye:

So this is now fact? I suspect that alliance collapsed for several reasons with both sides unwilling to compromise on fundamental differences. Buhari expecting ACN to be submerged by he's party did not play a factor abi? Or it is only one version of events we should believe?

I find it amusing that ACN is a yoruba party but y'all are happy to ride on the backs of northern votes a good chunk of which will come from resentment to the zoning issue with the pdp. I even see some threads on here counting northern votes in Lagos as part of their Lagos strategy yet na ACN be the ethnic party.

@Gbawe, too right. These threads have taken me from supporting Buhari in case of a run off to being totally indifferent.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by dayokanu(m): 7:49pm On Mar 29, 2011
I am supporting Buhari for Presidency and ACN in all other election.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Gbawe: 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2011
Katsumoto:

So if Ribadu gets into a run-off with GEJ, I assume you will vote PDP.

My brother , welcome to the zealously unreasonable world of the BB fans on Nairaland . They can hate, slander and attack everyone else yet folks must remain silent because we all want to see the back of the PDP. Look at the ungracious and needlessly provocative shite Bakare has been trying for ages that Ribadu, Tinubu and the ACN have been rising above ?

What is written below , for example, is childish, pathetic and lacking 'big picture' vision but that over-zealous devotion to "messiah", rather than to what is best for Nigeria and Nigerians , seems to be the hallmark of team BB . Aside wanting to fight everyone to a standstill they are spiteful also. They will gladly cut their nose to spite their face .

even I am reconsidering voting for Fashola.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Wadeoye(m): 7:54pm On Mar 29, 2011
Ribadu getting into run-off? How? It will be easier for a horse to pass through the eye of a niddle and I am sure you know this. Where will Ribadu votes comes from? South West? The 3 parties will share South West votes - 14m.Ribadu that can't even boast of wining a local government in Adamawa,

This election is between 2 contestants - Buhari and PDP.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Katsumoto: 8:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
Wadeoye:

Ribadu getting into run-off? How? It will be easier for a horse to pass through the eye of a niddle and I am sure you know this. Where will Ribadu votes comes from? South West? The 3 parties will share South West votes - 14m.Ribadu that can't even boast of wining a local government in Adamawa,

Lets assume that for a second what you say is true; do you think that Buhari can win the election without counting on the votes of ACN supporters? If all Buhari supporters have your position, Buhari is likely to lose the support of ACN in the event of a run-off. Please lets tone down the unnecessary rhetoric.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Katsumoto: 8:04pm On Mar 29, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , welcome to the zealously unreasonable world of the BB fans on Nairaland . They can hate, slander and attack everyone else yet folks must remain silent because we all want to see the back of the PDP. Look at the ungracious and needlessly provocative shite Bakare has been trying for ages that Ribadu, Tinubu and the ACN have been rising above ?

What is written below , for example, is childish, pathetic and lacking 'big picture' vision but that over-zealous devotion to "messiah", rather than to what is best for Nigeria and Nigerians , seems to be the hallmark of team BB . Aside wanting to fight everyone to a standstill they are spiteful also. They will gladly cut their nose to spite their face .

I just wish that both sides will realise that without cooperation in the event of a run-off, which is very likely, PDP will win. But I get your point about Bakare.
Re: South West: Between Ribadu And Buhari by Pataki: 8:08pm On Mar 29, 2011
Gbawe:

Who is talking to you ? do you have a comprehension deficit? I was addressing katsumoto . I think it is you who should spare us the sanctimonious drivel. If Ribadu criticism of Buhari in a public debate , never mind that Bakare has been doing far worse against Ribadu for much longer, is the signal for messiah worshippers , who really should be balanced and sensible adults, to go on attack against everything associated with Ribadu then please be my guest . Suffice to say that lack of grace and alienation of everyone , Bakare-style ,  is not the way to a Buhari victory. team BB , to me , appears myopic, rude, confrontational and unreasonable . lets look back a little.

Please pack it in with your claptrap. You do not need to talk to me before you addressed in an open forum. So if you do not like my mail, you are under the obligation to ignore it.

There we go again. Your Ribadu is the gentleman. Your Ribadu is the saint. Your Ribadu is the man with grace. Keep deceiving yourself. We all know better. And you can keep running from pillar to post to save face for your Ribadu. But we all know this is a man who talk ''A'' with his mouth and tells you that it means ''Z''!

Bakare for one, would tell you as he sees it and stand by his word. I do not care what save-face tactics you employ over your Ribadu, he is simply a man I do not take his word into accountability or have regards for any longer whenever he opens his mouth to talk.

Wadeoye:

Please tell them! They never fail to amaze me. Most especially on that facebook too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Religious Demography Of The South West ? / Atiku: I Don’t Think APC Will Survive After 2023 / The DSS Operates Within Its Mandate - Peter Afunanya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.