Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. (12479 Views)

Mohammed Abacha To Buhari: You Are The Change We Don't Need. / Mohammed Abacha Blast Buhari / Mohammed Abacha Decamps To PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 5:31am On Mar 31, 2011
Since the more ardent of Muhammadu Buhari's supporters (some of whom are close friends) have tried to convince me that his unique selling point is his incorruptibility, then it behooves me to carefully consider if that is indeed the case in an objective way.

In order to understand the gravity of Mohammed Abacha's running for governor of Kano State on the CPC platform and the damage it does to General Buhari's credibilty as a paragon of anti-corruption, we need to consider the evidence of history and see how General Buhari's (and CPC's) handling of Mohammed Abacha candidacy is at odds with Buhari's claim to incorruptibilty. Actions speak louder than words. The evidence against Mohammed Abacha has been in the public domain, so Buhari and CPC have no excuse to claim that they did not know what sort of man Mohammed Abacha is before accepting him in the party.

"In addition to freezing about USD 640 million, the Swiss judicial authorities handling the case have also indicted Mohammed Abacha and Atiku Bagudu under Swiss legislation concerning money-laundering, fraud and taking part in a criminal organisation"

[see page 2 of the following link: http://www.assetrecovery.org/kc/resources/org.apache.wicket.Application/repo?nid=78488349-a33e-11dc-bf1b-335d0754ba85].

"In the context of those proceedings, the Federal Republic of Nigeria was able to demonstrate that Mohammed ABACHA had failed to disclose his assets in Switzerland and in Luxembourg, which exceeded 1.1 billion US$. This lack of disclosure had, however, no direct effect on the proceedings (although of course it dented Mohammed ABACHA’s credibility as a witness). In July 2001, separate proceedings were commenced before the High Court of Justice of London, relating to the embezzlement of 2 billion US$ from the Central Bank of Nigeria under false security pretences [see page 4 of the document at the following link: www.icc-ccs.org/home/fraudnet/publications/finish/5/46].

It is my opinion that this laxity with respect to Mohammed Abacha demonstrates a consistent pattern of behaviour on the part of General Buhari. It is my thesis that he may be perceived as not being personally corrupt but he often turns a blind eye to corruption of close associates. Witness the 53 suitcases allegation that still dogs him 27 years later. Witness his infamous declaration that "Sani Abacha was not corrupt". A statement that is given the lie by the evidence in various courts around the world. Does Muhammadu Buhari's definition of corruption exclude close associates? That the late Sani Abacha is a close associate is easily gleaned by the fact that he appointed him to head the Petroleum Trust Fund.   

The Guardian Newspaper of November 3, 2002 reports on the audit of the Petroleum Trust Fund: "It is a horrendous story of criminal negligence, cynical fraud, and unprecedented disregard for all civilised standards of prudence and transparency in the disbursement of public funds. In the end, the independent consultants concluded that of the N181 billion that accrued to PTF in the four and a half years of its existence between July 1994 and July 1999, as much as N25 billion was either stolen or improperly expended."

And: ". . .when Gen. Buhari was invited to comment on the findings of the committee's consultants regarding the conduct of the empire over which he presided, he coyly retorted that he was not aware that such massive fraud went on his watch, but that in any event, he could not have benefited personally from the hideous purloining of the treasury." Former president Shagari who he overthrew was not personally corrupt, but his ministers were and yet Buhari held him responsible for the failings of his government. But in Buhari's case he disavowed all personal responsibility. Is this not bare-faced hypocrisy given that he was the one that unilaterally appointed Afri-Projects Consortium as the intervention fund's sole consultant?

Is General Buhari now also exempt from responsibility for the corrupt acts of his appointees? But the question needs to be asked: Is corruption only defined by the perception that one has not dipped his hand into the public treasury? What about if your associates are known to have been indicted as corrupt? In the Daily Trust edition of 30, March 2011, we read: "Presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) General Muhammadu Buhari was in Kano yesterday for the North-west state-by-state presidential campaign but refused to raise the hands of either the INEC-recognised Muhammad Abacha or the party’s recognised retired General Lawal Jafaru Isa as the party’s governorship candidate in the state."

What a weak and tepid response to serious corruption-related issues by a man who his more ardent mythomaniacs tell us is the solution to Nigeria's corruption. They hope their persistent hagiographization will deflect attention from the present. We live in the present and whatever decisions we make concerning General Buhari's candidacy in 2011 must take into account his actions in 2011. Mohammed Abacha has never hidden his ambition to become Kano State governor. He was once in the ANPP before migrating to CPC. Knowing this, they could easily have denied him the CPC platform.

There are serious questions that General Buhari (or supporters) should answer. Why did they accept Abacha as a member of the CPC with the weight of these indictments hanging on his neck? In responding to this question, CPC says this: "In a statement last weekend, the CPC said apart from the alleged inducement of delegates, the party was not also comfortable with Abacha’s candidature because of his numerous alleged indictments by the federal government and the United States of America, which it said he refused to disclose to the party." This as far as I am concerned is a very weak response that only the undiscerning will fall for. The Abacha case was widely publicized and the indictments were widely reported in local and foreign media [as attested by the SaharaReporters link at the end of the page]. This excuse is downright silly and is obviously a late attempt at damage control.

Having become convinced that he procured his nomination through corrupt "money politics", why did the CPC not expel him from the party? After all, one would expect that for a political party running on a supposed anticorruption platform, their party constitution would spell out punitive measures for corruption-related activities such as "money politics". In response to this, the general's supporters tell us that CPC has appealed the court judgment declaring Mohammed Abacha the CPC candidate and the general is waiting for the court's pronouncement. As far as I am concerned this is another "rule of law" ruse a la James Ibori. This situation could have been so easily prevented by denying Abacha membership of the party.

If Muhammadu Buhari's CPC (his personal vehicle for his 3rd attempt at the Presidency), where his word is revered, is acting in such a weak and permissive manner concerning Mohammed Abacha, a man indicted on charges pertaining to money-laundering, fraud and taking part in a criminal organisation; how does he expect me to take him serious with respect to his anti-corruption credentials? After all my friends have assured me that in the cut and thrust and wheeling and dealing of representative democracy, General Buhari is going to jail all corrupt governors, senators, etc.

It is my conclusion that General Buhari's present actions in the case of Mohammed Abacha are at variance with the picture presented by his supporters of a committed anti-corruption crusader.

Links.

http://www.assetrecovery.org/kc/node/52f770df-a33e-11dc-bf1b-335d0754ba85.2

http://www.saharareporters.com/article/mohammed-abacha-becomes-kano-governor
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Jakumo(m): 6:06am On Mar 31, 2011
This story clearly illustrates that the fictitious crime-busting aspirations of Ayatollah Buggari ONLY extend to hounding embezzlers whose tribal and religious origins DIFFER from those of the Ayatollah, that Taliban Inquisitor Wanna-be.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by karlmax2: 9:35am On Mar 31, 2011
U would not see any BB supporters commenting on articles like this we that the bad eggs that were thrown out of pdp are the ones runing CPC and ACN
As we speak check their the exco of the two parties and see how many past pdp member in it. We will neva be decieved by party line again. If u even talk of corruption after abacha left off transperency internation rated nigeria 3 in the world as per
Corruption I challenge the BB supporter to tell us our ranking now let us see if it better now or during abacha regime which BUHARI was part of.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by babytoun: 9:51am On Mar 31, 2011
See the comment of buhari on sanni abacha. This his anti-corruption garb is fraud.

- From Ibrahim Shuaibu in KanoViewed 1466 Times Rating: by 0 users
The late military Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha, did not loot the national treasury contrary to the general impression, two military former heads of state have said.

Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, who ruled Nigeria between 1983 and 1985, and his successor, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, gave Abacha the clean bill in Kano yesterday after the rememberance prayers marking 10 years of the death of Abacha, who ruled between 1993 and 1998.

Abacha was accused of stealing nearly £5 billion while in office, out of which over $1 billion has reportedly been recovered from various sources around the world.

But Babangida, who described Abacha as a “courageous, loyal and honest military head of state who stood for the unity and development of the country during his years in government”, has dismissed the allegations.

He said the looting allegations against Abacha were unfounded and baseless, stressing that “it is not true that he looted public treasury. I knew who Abacha was because I was close to him”.

Babangida said: “Abacha was a courageous person who stood firmly in handling the affairs of the country during his regime.”

He added that the regime of Abacha brought positive changes in the country which should have been emulated.

He said 10 years after the death of Abacha, his contributions to the nation’s economy remain indelible.

“There is no doubt, during his administration as head of state, Abacha contributed his best to the nation’s economy which we are still enjoying,” he said.

Babangida’s new position however contrasts with what he told Newswatch magazine in July 2000.

He had said: “The revelations [on Abacha’s loot] surprised me. I am surprised, because I didn't know.”

He had also explained that Abacha's death brought "relative stability", adding that "it gives us, oh well, let's see, there is hope after all".

Babangida, in that interview, also blamed the society for allowing Abacha to grow into the dictator he became.

"I feel bad that society failed to realise that they have a duty to protect whatever values they hold dear to their hearts as far as this country is concerned. At any rate, there are people I like and do respect those who stood against the regime, who are not military officers but civilians who are able to speak out. They didn't mince words and if their views had been heard, he wouldn't have [done enough harm]," he had said in response to a question.

[size=25pt]Buhari, in his own comments yesterday, described the allegations of looting against Abacha as “baseless”, because according to him, “ten years after Abacha, those allegations remain unproven because of lack of facts”.[/size]

While also commenting, former Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, who took over when Abacha died on June 8, 1998, commended his predecessor for initiating Vision 2010, saying that the economic vision of the present administration termed Vision 2020 is a replica of Abacha’s 2010 initiative.

Abubakar also tasked Nigerian politicians to concentrate on how best to contribute to national development instead wasting time and money investigating their predecessors, adding that probing past administrations “does not yield anything positive to the nation and should be discouraged”.

Babangida also spoke on the probe of his government by the immediate past administration, saying: “We are still waiting for the outcome of the probe.”

The three former leaders sat close to one another during the special prayer session which started exactly 10am and lasted for over one hour at an open compound belonging to the family of the former head of state.

The prayer session was attended by former Abacha’s aides, Emirs of Hadejia, Gumel, Jema’a and Chief Fredrick Fasehun of Odua Peoples Congress (OPC).

Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by babytoun: 9:54am On Mar 31, 2011
deleted
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by dustydee: 10:02am On Mar 31, 2011
The constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria guarantees the freedom of association and if Abacha is corrupt he should have been convicted and ineligible to contest. Now dont tell me Buhari is also responsible for that.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 31, 2011
This is a Democracy!

Buhari does not support Abacha's candidacy but it is a known fact that Mohammed Abacha paid his way through to have his name published as the CPC candidate. Still, Buhari has refused to recognize him. In fact, they did not even exchange greetings when Buhari came to Kano for the rally.

Mohammed Abacha sued Buhari, INEC and CPC to court to declare him the CPC candidate for kano, which the court did after money changed hands. Buhari has gone to court challenging the decision and his case of appeal is still in court asking the court to overturn the ruling declaring Mohammed Abacha the CPC candidate for Kano state.

On the one hand you say Buhari is a high handed military-fisted bigot who knows only how to use force. Now that he is towing the line of democracy and rule of law you want to lambast him!! What do you want him to do in the face of the fiasco by the courts and INEC publishing Mohammed Abacha as the CPC candidate for Kano? Buhari has already refused to present Mohammed Abacha as the CPC Gubernatorial Candidate for Kano State. If he were to go further and order INEC to remove his name what effect exactly would that have? Or you'd prefer him to impose someone else so that you'll have a field day calling him undemocratic??

The fact on ground is that the people do not want Mohammed Abacha and Buhari does not support Mohammed Abacha!

You can google for further details
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 2:03pm On Mar 31, 2011
^^Parties can and do expel individuals. Why hasn't CPC expelled Abacha for corruption-related activities? This point was raised in the OP and you did not address it. General Buhari's specifically declared that General Abacha was not corrupt. What of that?

Google is a lazy way of presenting your facts. Why don't you tell us the "details". The OP has links that support what it says, so you can confirm for yourself.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by karlmax2: 2:10pm On Mar 31, 2011
^^^ don't mind the blind follower who thinks we are in 1983 my prayer for dem is may there life be run like decree 24 and all and selective jugdement and ESSENCO act.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Gayigaskia(m): 2:21pm On Mar 31, 2011
Buhari didn't impose Mohamed Abacha the people of Kano elected him to run, if you a problem with that then take it them. Or do you prefer Buhari to drop out because of that earlier fact about Mohamed Abacha.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by seal777(m): 2:38pm On Mar 31, 2011
They know what they re driving at: UTTER MISCHIEF.
Has it nt suprise you as the election draws near GEJ supporter re either moving to the BB TRAIN or underground to avoid discussing a bad market calle PDP.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2011
Expel a party member on the basis of corruption? - I believe that there is more than enough on this topic to fill an entire thread when we have to consider PDP, CPC, ACN et al!

As far as @karl max referring to me as a 'blind follower' and the accompanying prayer, I'm wondering what part of my post got you so riled up. I made some points and asked some questions. Its either you didn't digest my post OR your response is just your level of expression. Whatever the case may be, I read the OP and 'Googled' before I came up with my own post as a summary. But since you like links:

Mohammed Abacha was imposed on CPC by INEC- Buhari
http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=26477&cat=Politics

…MOHAMMED ABACHA BATTLES THE GENERALS
http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/46621/1/8230mohammed-abacha-battles-the-generals.html

I’ll fight Buhari to standstill – Abacha’s son
http://www.thenationallifeonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4038:ill-fight-buhari-to-standstill--abachas-son&catid=44:politics&Itemid=789

From PDP To CPC: Is Mohammed Abacha On A Goose Chase?
http://leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25116:from-pdp-to-cpc-is-mohammed-abacha-on-a-goose-chase&catid=32:politics&Itemid=150

Abacha’s son fights Buhari over Kano guber seat
http://nationalmirroronline.net/politics/4908.html

I'll restate my point. Buhari does not support Mohammed Abacha for CPC Governor of Kano State. Mohammed Abacha won the primaries through heavy money politics and the cancellation of primary elections in 23 out of 44 local government areas. Mohammed Abacha went to court with the 'verified' figures from the primaries but Buhari knows how they came about and can never support such, hence his initial refusal to submit Mohammed Abacha's name to INEC, hence Mohammed Abacha's recourse to the courts which got him the ticket, and hence Buhari's appeal currently in court.

And by the way, Google is not a lazy way of presenting facts. Wake up to the 21st century please!!
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2011
Gayigaskia:

Buhari didn't impose Mohamed Abacha the people of Kano elected him to run, if you a problem with that then take it them. Or do you prefer Buhari to drop out because of that earlier fact about Mohamed Abacha.

I see. This only confirms that Buhari is weak and selective on corruption. The same Buhari that has been threatening thunder and brimstone on election rigging has now developed a whimper in the case of corrupt politics. Why has General Buhari not denounced in clear terms the corrupt money politics that led to the emergence of Mohammed Abacha (and other CPC candidates)? After all, Buhari's supporters hang on his every word: Shouldn't the anti-corruption battle begin with his educating his followers on the evils of cash inducement.

Buhari has entered into a devil's bargain with Mohammed Abacha (son of the man that Buhari said was not corrupt) because he needs him to secure the vote in Kano and is just playing to the gallery. Buhari is the leader of CPC. He needs to lead by example, not this fake and tepid show, he's giving us.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 3:11pm On Mar 31, 2011
marissa:

Mohammed Abacha was imposed on CPC by INEC- Buhari
http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=26477&cat=Politics

Usual excuse. Blame someone else and refuse to accept your personal responsibility: Buhari's usual M.O.

aletheia:

What a weak and tepid response to serious corruption-related issues by a man who his more ardent mythomaniacs tell us is the solution to Nigeria's corruption. They hope their persistent hagiographization will deflect attention from the present. We live in the present and whatever decisions we make concerning General Buhari's candidacy in 2011 must take into account his actions in 2011. Mohammed Abacha has never hidden his ambition to become Kano State governor. He was once in the ANPP before migrating to CPC. Knowing this, they could easily have denied him the CPC platform.

There are serious questions that General Buhari (or supporters) should answer. Why did they accept Abacha as a member of the CPC with the weight of these indictments hanging on his neck? In responding to this question, CPC says this: "In a statement last weekend, the CPC said apart from the alleged inducement of delegates, the party was not also comfortable with Abacha’s candidature because of his numerous alleged indictments by the federal government and the United States of America, which it said he refused to disclose to the party." This as far as I am concerned is a very weak response that only the undiscerning will fall for. The Abacha case was widely publicized and the indictments were widely reported in local and foreign media [as attested by the SaharaReporters link at the end of the page]. This excuse is downright silly and is obviously a late attempt at damage control.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2011
Again, I repeat, this is a Democracy!

If the courts and law enforcement agencies have not caged a citizen for corruption, and he exercises his right to run for an elective position he is deemed free to do so.

If the people decide to vote for such a man, he will be their leader because he is their choice.

If such a man decides to dole out cash to buy the people's support, and the people collect such money and give their support, then again, he will be their leader - fair and square!

Dont come around here asking Buhari to be a Dictator in a political party with one side of your mouth and then declare that Democracy is government of the people with the other side!
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Beaf: 3:17pm On Mar 31, 2011
marissa:

This is a Democracy!

Buhari does not support Abacha's candidacy but[size=14pt] it is a known fact that Mohammed Abacha paid his way through to have his name published as the CPC candidate[/size]. Still, Buhari has refused to recognize him. In fact, they did not even exchange greetings when Buhari came to Kano for the rally.

Mohammed Abacha sued Buhari, INEC and CPC to court to declare him the CPC candidate for kano, which the court did after money changed hands. Buhari has gone to court challenging the decision and his case of appeal is still in court asking the court to overturn the ruling declaring Mohammed Abacha the CPC candidate for Kano state.

On the one hand you say Buhari is a high handed military-fisted bigot who knows only how to use force. Now that he is towing the line of democracy and rule of law you want to lambast him!! What do you want him to do in the face of the fiasco by the courts and INEC publishing Mohammed Abacha as the CPC candidate for Kano? Buhari has already refused to present Mohammed Abacha as the CPC Gubernatorial Candidate for Kano State. If he were to go further and order INEC to remove his name what effect exactly would that have? Or you'd prefer him to impose someone else so that you'll have a field day calling him undemocratic??

The fact on ground is that the people do not want Mohammed Abacha and Buhari does not support Mohammed Abacha!

You can google for further details

Interesting angle! Who exactly did Abacha pay in CPC?
If CPC men take dirty bribes from criminal scum like Abacha, where is the so called "change?"

Kai! "Change" is such an abused word!
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2011
[size=16pt]Mohammed Abacha did not pay anybody in CPC[/size]. He used money politics and the cancellation of primary elections in 23 out of 44 local government areas to secure the highest number of votes at the primaries.

[size=16pt]CPC did not submit Abacha's name.[/size]

INEC did the substitution.

Kai! [size=16pt]Una no dey read[/size]?
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Beaf: 3:25pm On Mar 31, 2011
^
And who did he give the money to in the 23 out of 44 local govts? Was it to PDP members, or was it to CPC people? grin grin grin
What is the so called "change?" Who is fooled by the the "anti-corruption" hoax?
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 3:27pm On Mar 31, 2011
marissa:

Dont come around here asking Buhari to be a Dictator in a political party with one side of your mouth and then declare that Democracy is government of the people with the other side!

Who is asking him to be a dictator. Muhammadu Buhari should simply tell the Kano people. Don't vote for Mohammed Abacha. After all Buhari claims Abacha is INEC's candidate according to you:

marissa:

[size=16pt]CPC did not submit Abacha's name.[/size]

Buhari should put his money where his mouth is. Actions speak louder than words. And his actions tell me his anti-corruption stance is a sham.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 31, 2011
Abeg Beaf! I no dey try convince you to join BB o! I no go even try. I'm just laying out the facts. Pls swallow your Fresh Air and dont give me a headache!!!  grin grin
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 31, 2011
@ Aletheia,

Shebi you wanted links? Read them na!! Whats with re-quoting my quotes? Shior!! I'm done if you refuse to reason. This could actually be a good discussion but lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I'm getting off here!! Keep marinading my quotes!!
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2011
^^I have read the links. I did my research before posting---so this is not driven by emotions, just an objective look at Saint Buhari. Answer the questions raised in the OP and stop courting sympathy. Answer this question: why did Mohammed Abacha drop General Buhari's name from the suit he filed in court after including it intially?
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Gayigaskia(m): 4:06pm On Mar 31, 2011
aletheia:

I see. This only confirms that Buhari is weak and selective on corruption. The same Buhari that has been threatening thunder and brimstone on election rigging has now developed a whimper in the case of corrupt politics. Why has General Buhari not denounced in clear terms the corrupt money politics that led to the emergence of Mohammed Abacha (and other CPC candidates)? After all, Buhari's supporters hang on his every word: Shouldn't the anti-corruption battle begin with his educating his followers on the evils of cash inducement.

Buhari has entered into a devil's bargain with Mohammed Abacha (son of the man that Buhari said was not corrupt) because he needs him to secure the vote in Kano and is just playing to the gallery. Buhari is the leader of CPC. He needs to lead by example, not this fake and tepid show, he's giving us.

Buhari doesn't need to bargain with anybody in CPC even with many of the thieving PDP generals who by the way are hitting on the CPC  door for entrance. The facts are there if Buhari can manage PTDF with a clean hands then why would he need to make a deal with a young guy who has never seen that much money in his entire life. See it was Mohamed who needed Buhari not the other around. Oh by the way your uncle Joe' s Godfather (IBB) has distanced himself from his son.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 6:33pm On Mar 31, 2011
^^My uncle? Keep deceiving yourself that anyone against your General Buhari supports GEJ. Just emotions speaking in the face of unassailable facts. Instead of addressing the critical and serious issues raised here: you are engaging in grandstanding and playing to the gallery. You people want me to vote for messiah Buhari, not so? Then allay my fears with respect to the following:

1) General Buhari's supporters say that he is an incorruptible figure because there is no evidence that he's ever pilfered the public treasury. They claim he is the solution to Nigeria's corruption problem.

2) I insist that any one who wants to convince me that he can tackle corruption must prove to me that he is not hostage to vested interests.

3) All General Buhari needs to do is simply tell his supporters not to vote for the corrupt Mohammed Abacha who he claims:

marissa:

. . .used money politics and the cancellation of primary elections in 23 out of 44 local government areas to secure the highest number of votes at the primaries.

And

marissa:

CPC did not submit Abacha's name.

Those who are not blinded by the romanticization of the events of 1984/85 will recognize the seriousness of a party that claims to be anti-corruption allowing a man known to be indicted for money-laundering, fraud and taking part in a criminal organisation to be their gubernatorial candidate. Especially when the man has never hidden his ambition to be governor as far back as 2007 before he even became a CPC member. Their excuse that they did not know about his indictment is untenable as this knowledge has been in the public domain for ages.

How can General Buhari convince me that his anti-corruption toga is not soiled if he cannot even denounce the money politics that saw the emergence of his party's candidate in Kano and urge his followers to vote against such a candidate?

My submission is that General Buhari puts his personal interest above that of the nation while hiding behind a facade of incorruptibility.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:07pm On Mar 31, 2011
Why bother, the same Nigerians you are trying to educate and bring such awareness to simply do not care or are too dis-franchised to care anymore. Mohammed Abacha will carry the day and in 5 years time he will be a Saint of sorts to millions of his kinsmen. It is truly unfortunate how we celebrate corruption and lament when we suffer its effects.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Odunnu: 7:27pm On Mar 31, 2011
The likes of Honeric wont see this thread and attempt to answer the questions raised.
If it were to fight me on fbk,he'l be Oga.
Mchewww!
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 12:23am On Apr 01, 2011
“Looters must vomit their loot. Whoever dare loot public fund under CPC government will be made to vomit the loot. Public fund is a trust and CPC government will do everything possible to protect the people’s trust”. (Buhari’s Campaign Speech, March 2011).

And yet. . .
aletheia:

. . .The same Buhari that has been threatening thunder and brimstone on election rigging has now developed a whimper in the case of corrupt politics. Why has General Buhari not denounced in clear terms the corrupt money politics that led to the emergence of Mohammed Abacha (and other CPC candidates)? After all, Buhari's supporters hang on his every word: Shouldn't the anti-corruption battle begin with his educating his followers on the evils of cash inducement.

"In the context of those proceedings, the Federal Republic of Nigeria was able to demonstrate that Mohammed ABACHA had failed to disclose his assets in Switzerland and in Luxembourg, which exceeded 1.1 billion US$. This lack of disclosure had, however, no direct effect on the proceedings (although of course it dented Mohammed ABACHA’s credibility as a witness). In July 2001, separate proceedings were commenced before the High Court of Justice of London, relating to the embezzlement of 2 billion US$ from the Central Bank of Nigeria under false security pretences [see page 4 of the document at the following link: www.icc-ccs.org/home/fraudnet/publications/finish/5/46].

So do we conclude that according to General Buhari. . .money looted from the Central Bank of Nigeria under false security pretences is not Public Funds.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Gayigaskia(m): 2:00am On Apr 01, 2011
This is desperation for these GEJ supporters, Mohamed Abacha ended up in CPC because he is not corrupt enough to be in PDP. The looters in chief have disown him of the club.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:22am On Apr 01, 2011
Gayigaskia:

Mohamed Abacha ended up in CPC because he is not corrupt enough to be in PDP.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nonsense.

@ alethia, excellent post.

I don't know why everyone is so insistent on ignoring Buhari's glaring Abacha connection. Buhari is obviously a friend to the most criminal political family in all of Africa.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 2:54am On Apr 01, 2011
Gayigaskia:

Mohamed Abacha ended up in CPC because he is not corrupt enough to be in PDP.

So you agree that Mohammed Abacha is corrupt. Thank you for helping me make the case that Buhari is weak and permits corruption in his close associates.
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by Mariory(m): 3:00am On Apr 01, 2011
Where are the bulk of the "sai buhari" people? They must be around here somewhere. What does "sai buhari" even mean?
Re: The Curious Incident Of Mohammed Abacha: The Limits Of Mythomania. by aletheia(m): 10:17am On Apr 01, 2011
aletheia:

. . . CPC says this: "In a statement last weekend, the CPC said apart from the alleged inducement of delegates, the party was not also comfortable with Abacha’s candidature because of his numerous alleged indictments by the federal government and the United States of America, which it said he refused to disclose to the party." This as far as I am concerned is a very weak response that only the undiscerning will fall for. The Abacha case was widely publicized and the indictments were widely reported in local and foreign media. . .

This is so obvious a lie on the part of CPC. . .note the date in the Vanguard article.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Students Assault Teachers In Delta / TCN Begins Nationwide Load-shedding As Power Generation Drops By 1087MW / Why Nnamdi Kalu’s Type Of Biafra Is A Failure!! (with Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.