Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha (4117 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode At The Burial Of Hilary Chikwendu, His Father-In-Law In Anambra / Obasanjo Arrives In Zimbabwe For The Burial Of Robert Mugabe (photo) / 2019:atiku And Peter Obi Visit Obi Of Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Ikengawo: 10:33pm On Jan 09, 2021
Onitsha, a town in Anambra state has 9 communities in which Igala has 2 (Ogbodu and Obigboru), Benin has 4 and Igbo has 3. Igala was said to be the first people in Onitsha as they had been camping (having fishing tents) by the side of the river Niger doing their fishing before the crossing of Benin people to the area. The Igala were the one who helped the Benin Prince and his people to cross the river Niger by carrying the Benin people in their (Igala) fishing boats and canoes to the side now called Onitsha, thus Igala were the host while the Benin were strangers at that time.
Though the Igala people were there before the Benin people, they built their houses at the river side while the Benin prince and his people who moved to the dry land formed the head of the area, thus the Benin people became the ruling class as Obi of Onitsha till this day. But Igala and Igbo play their roles too. Igala have a role to play in the traditional council. The Igala people are in charge of the design of the royal clothes/regalia as well as burial of any transited Obi of Onitsha. Remember that the burial of such a person requires many spiritual activities. I will tell you one. The masquerade which performs the last icholo (rite) is an Igala masquerade called Egwu-Afia. Just like in Kogi Igala Okwulat (feast of the ancestors) where a song Ebule kpolama kegwu alo, and women as well as non-initiated males leave the location, the Onitsha Egwu-Afia masquerade speaks and signs in Igala language, and the final song which concludes the burial activities is Ononojo nalo kibawawa nalo.. (meaning strangers, leave let it remain us, the indigenes..), and now none indigenes would have to move from the burial site, oral history revealed. The mother of one late Obi of Onitsha (Obi Eze Aroli) was Igala, and her name was Enubi (meaning the supporter or one to lean on. The male version in Kogi is Enebi/Eneubi).
And before I forget, this Egwu-Afia is still part of the burial rites of anyone who dies in this 2 Igala communities- Ogbodu and Obigboru till date, and was used for one important figure who was one of the fighters for the independent of Nigeria from that side during his burial, reliable sources told me. Egwu-Afia is exclusively of Igala, and any community is found till tomorrow in Nigeria is indigenous Igala people, as the masquerade is only found among the oma Egwu-Afia clan (Note: Not all Igalas are Oma Egwu-Afia clans but all Oma Egwu-Afia clans are Igalas).
God bless the throne of Obi of Onitsha, God bless Ogbogu and Obigboru people, God bless entire Igala people.
Ayegba A. A.
(General Igala Ambassador)
Founder of United Igala Kingdom, and
Leader, Discover and Reconnect indigenous Igala People across Nigeria project

https://www.facebook.com/Indigenous-igala-people-worldwide-109837710777439/photos/pcb.196362365458306/196362288791647/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Bendeco2020: 10:49pm On Jan 09, 2021
God bless Onitsha kingdom.

God bless Umuikem, my village.

I greet the great Onitsha men/women here.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 09, 2021
Bendeco2020:
God bless Onitsha kingdom.

God bless Umuikem, my village.

I greet the great Onitsha men/women here.

Tankia

May you all live long like your father's and father's before your fore father's..

4 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by realstars: 11:18pm On Jan 09, 2021
The Problame Is,, We donot have histiory in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Ikengawo: 11:30pm On Jan 09, 2021
realstars:
The Problame Is,, We donot have histiory in Nigeria.
Anambra people say Igala is their history

1 Like

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Herdsmen: 11:39pm On Jan 09, 2021
This is called Anambra obsession grin
Very funny

A man with two blokos go Dey open thread to lament on anambra as igala nation

This is why Anambraians will continue leading igbo nation even as igala a dem be grin

What a foolishness cheesy

Anambra Men don’t play like this... they’re too busy Making money .. even dia women .. are illustrious to have time to gossip

But here is an orlu MAN ... like ROCHAS UDENWA NZERIBE ETC HERR GOSSIPING AND NAGGING LIKE A TYPICAL JOBLESS AND LAZY ORLU WOMAn
And Tomorrow this one will come and be calling himself MAN BECuze he get prick

A little slumbe a little sleep thts how poverty will come upon him

And tomorrow the fullish op will claim MAN .. IGBO MAN cheesy

Shameless...

So shameless to MEN.

Ndi orlu no get shame!

Imagine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Harrykn: 12:48am On Jan 10, 2021
undecided
Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by adadike(f): 8:19am On Jan 10, 2021
Ikengawo:

leave us, let it be. Yes we are proud of whatever heritage God gave us. Go and deal more with your Imo sisters begging the so called Igala and Enugu men to come and marry them. Since Papa like you wants to dance surugede, ngwa get ready Maka obukwa egwu nmuo.

1 Like

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by adadike(f): 8:20am On Jan 10, 2021
Herdsmen:
This is called Anambra obsession grin
Very funny

A man with two blokos go Dey open thread to lament on anambra as igala nation

This is why Anambraians will continue leading igbo nation even as igala a dem be grin

What a foolishness cheesy

Anambra Men don’t play like this... they’re too busy Making money .. even dia women .. are illustrious to have time to gossip

But here is an orlu MAN ... like ROCHAS UDENWA NZERIBE ETC HERR GOSSIPING AND NAGGING LIKE A TYPICAL JOBLESS AND LAZY ORLU WOMAn
And Tomorrow this one will come and be calling himself MAN BECuze he get prick

A little slumbe a little sleep thts how poverty will come upon him

And tomorrow the fullish op will claim MAN .. IGBO MAN cheesy

Shameless...

So shameless to MEN.

Ndi orlu no get shame!

Imagine
nwanem, they are no longer hiding their obsession and jealousy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Kamanuozuzu: 8:53am On Jan 10, 2021
And when Nnamdi Kanu says "Igala is Biafraland", some dimwits will start foaming in the mouth.

Anything that young man says, no matter how bizarre, just scratch the surface, and u'll see its the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Kapeter(m): 9:07am On Jan 10, 2021
So yeebos are no longer lost jews? Now they are bini migrants. Who no like better thing.

3 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Sammy07: 9:16am On Jan 10, 2021
Kapeter:
So yeebos are no longer lost jews? Now they are bini migrants. Who no like better thing.

Actually Obi of onitsha stool is a Benin stool.
Check Obi of Onitshaa sword, it's the same thing as Oba of Benin own.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 9:50am On Jan 10, 2021
[[s]quote author=Sammy07 post=97907127]

Actually Obi of onitsha stool is a Benin stool.
Check Obi of Onitshaa sword, it's the same thing as Oba of Benin own.[/quote][/s] Borrowing some of their traditional does not make Benin, Yoruba that has almost the same traditional with Benin does that make them Benin? Focus more on reclaiming kwara state grin

10 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Sammy07: 9:54am On Jan 10, 2021
[s]
Nwanyiogwashi:

Borrowing some of their traditional does not make Benin, Yoruba that has almost the same traditional with Benin does that make them Benin? Focus more on reclaiming kwara state grin
[/s]

This girl, so you're still alive? Learn to strike a comment properly.
BTW, Obi of Onitshaa sword fell down from heaven Abi?
Abeq I'm talking to original Igbos in SE not fake ones in delta grin.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 9:59am On Jan 10, 2021
Sammy07:

This girl, so you're still alive? Learn to strike a comment properly.
BTW, Obi of Onitshaa sword fell down from heaven Abi?
Abeq I'm talking to original Igbos in SE not fake ones in delta grin.
Look at this half ijaw man from ondo state cheesy the oba your Yoruba have fell from heaven abi?

16 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Sammy07: 10:03am On Jan 10, 2021
Nwanyiogwashi:
Look at this half ijaw man from ondo state cheesy the oba your Yoruba have fell from heaven abi?

Shut up.
Ijaws don't even own a complete local government in Ondo state cheesy

My Oba is from Ile Ife.
BTW, I said I'm talking to the original Igbos from SE grin not the "tap in" Igbos tongue that shares state with a Yoruba tribe in delta cool

Focus more on joining your brothers in the East.

4 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by BoboNkiti19: 10:17am On Jan 10, 2021
Sammy07:

Shut up.

My Oba is from Ile Ife.
BTW, I said I'm talking to the original Igbos from SE grin not the "tap in" Igbos tongue that shares state with a Yoruba tribe in delta cool
Lies, Ijaws own a fair control of Ondo state cause they produce majority of the oil in that state, an Ijaw man has as much right as the Ilaje man in Ondo and I'm sure they are asserting that right in Ondo state already.

Lagos belongs to the Bini, I've seen lots of reports on social media from Edo people establishing these historical facts in Lagos and even Ile-Ife where your progenitors claim was the cradle of yorubawa civilization... the Benin people insist they gave you your Obaship, including Oduduwa a Bini prince who established a kingdom in Ile-Ife (even though you claim he fell from the sky)... apparently it's easy to see the accounts from the Benin people is more believable.

Ijebu people as claimed by your Awujale are not yoruubaas.

Lots of yorogba speaking subgroups in Kabba, Kogi, Niger state etc have been completely conquered and immersed into their host communities that we don't hear much about them anymore, the Nupe for example have converted the yorogbas in Niger into a negligible minority, they don't even hold any sociopolitical relevance in that state anymore.

Ilorin as we all know has been completely conquered by the beautiful Fulani emirate, attempts at self-consolatory revisionisms won't change these facts as the royal stool on Kwara is under the firm control of a Emir not Oba.

I think if you ask me, the yorogba nation have more issues to worry about than meddle into the affairs of the Igbos who save for few recalcitrant elements among them like the Ikwerre (who are Benin descendants and irrelevant anyway) have maintained a firm grip and homogeneous identity among other Igbo subgroups like the proud Enuani people of Delta state (except the Ika people) and the Ndoni/Egbema of Rivers state.

9 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 10:20am On Jan 10, 2021
Sammy07:

Shut up.

My Oba is from Ile Ife.

Focus more on joining your brothers in the East.
Ijaw own half of ondo state is on record cheesy

Igbo own complete 9 local government in Delta pls which local government in Delta state is own by Yoruba grin?

Kwara state has already gone to Fulani cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Odkosh: 10:25am On Jan 10, 2021
[s]
BoboNkiti19:

Lies, Ijaws own a fair control of Ondo state cause they produce majority of the oil in that state, an Ijaw man has as much right as the Ilaje man in Ondo and I'm sure they are asserting that right in Ondo state already.

Lagos belongs to the Bini, I've seen lots of reports on social media from Edo people establishing these historical facts in Lagos and even Ile-Ife where your progenitors claim was the cradle of yorubawa civilization... the Benin people insist they gave you your Obaship, including Oduduwa a Bini prince who established a kingdom in Ile-Ife (even though you claim he fell from the sky)... apparently it's easy to see the accounts from the Benin people is more believable.

Lots of yorogba speaking subgroups in Kabba, Kogi, Niger state etc have been completely conquered and immersed into their host communities that we don't hear much about them anymore, the Nupe for example have converted the yorogbas in Niger into a negligible minority, they don't even hold any sociopolitical relevance in that state anymore.

Ilorin as we all know has been completely conquered by the beautiful Fulani emirate, attempts at self-consolatory revisionisms won't change these facts as the royal stool on Kwara is under the firm control of a Emir not Oba.

I think if you ask me, the yorogba nation have more issues to worry about than meddle into the affairs of the Igbos who save for few recalcitrant elements among them like the Ikwerre (who are Benin descendants and irrelevant anyway) have maintained a firm grip and homogeneous identity among other Igbo subgroups like the proud Enuani people of Delta state (except the Ika people) and the Ndoni/Egbema of Rivers state.
[/s]Trash
Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Odkosh: 10:25am On Jan 10, 2021
Nwanyiogwashi:

Igbo own complete 9 local government in Delta pls which local government in Delta state is own by Yoruba grin?

Which of the Kwara, the one in arochukwu or ngwa?
Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 10:27am On Jan 10, 2021
Odkosh:
Which of the Kwara, the one in arochukwu or ngwa?
e pain this one grin

11 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Sammy07: 10:29am On Jan 10, 2021
BoboNkiti19:

Do you know my Hobby?
I like Educating ignorant people.

1. Ijaws don't control anything, I mean anything.
The local government where you can find them is Ese Odo local government, still surrounded by Yoruba towns and the name self is Yoruba. Ijaws don't own a local government, kindly note that.

2. Do you even know Lagos? Lagos Benin people are talking about is Lagos island not Lagos state, kindly educate your ignorant mind.
A lot of towns and cities on Lagos mainland were formerly In Ogun state before they joined them to Lagos Island. (Its like you guys don't do history over there)

3. Benin People cannot even tell us Oba originated from them. They should give me the lexicon of Oba in Benin language cheesy

4. Go to ijebu ode and tell them They're from Sudan and are not Yoruba cheesy It's just like saying Port novo is not a Yoruba town because it's in Benin Republic cheesy

5. Anyone, can change his Oba to Emir if he wishes so stop masturbating on whatever you don't know, do u even know the road to ilorin talkless of knowing those who reside there Or ain't you aware when Olu of Iwo said he wanna change his Oba to Emir?

6. And who told you Kaaba has been conquered or so? Alayee shut up Abeq.

7. My having a convo with Original Igbos from SE not the tap in Igbos that shares a state with Yoruba tribe in delta. cheesy

8. If you ask me, I think you should worry about your brothers who refuses to be identified as Igbos, Abi Wetin concern me cheesy

Check all yoruba towns irrespective of Their location, they still wanna be with their knits, goan sort yourself and stop dreaming of Yorubas, we ain't the cause of you guys misfortune grin

3 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Sammy07: 10:35am On Jan 10, 2021
Nwanyiogwashi:

This is a list of local governments in Ondo state.

Akoko North-West
Akoko North-East
Akoko South-East
Akoko South-West
Ose
Owo
Akure North
Akure South
Ifedore
Ile Oluji/Okeigbo
Ondo West
Ondo East
Idanre
Odigbo
Okitipupa
Irele
Ese Odo
Ilaje

Which one of them sounds Ijaw grin

Have u forgotten "I" in Anioma means Ika grin
have they accepted the Igbo tag? grin

I repeat, I'm having a convo with original Igbos from the East not those ones that share a state with Yoruba sub group grin

Warri South is dominated by who?

3 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Odkosh: 10:38am On Jan 10, 2021
Nwanyiogwashi:
e pain this one grin
Laughing won't save you. Just answer odensi
Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Odkosh: 10:39am On Jan 10, 2021
Sammy07:

This is a list of local governments in Ondo state.

Akoko North-West
Akoko North-East
Akoko South-East
Akoko South-West
Ose
Owo
Akure North
Akure South
Ifedore
Ile Oluji/Okeigbo
Ondo West
Ondo East
Idanre
Odigbo
Okitipupa
Irele
Ese Odo
Ilaje

Which one of them sounds Ijaw grin

Have u forgotten "I" in Anioma means Ika grin
have they accepted the Igbo tag? grin

I repeat, I'm having a convo with original Igbos from the East not those ones that share a state with Yoruba sub group grin
Lol, you dey mind the dimwit

2 Likes

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Sammy07: 10:41am On Jan 10, 2021
Odkosh:
Laughing won't save you. Just answer odensi

Maybe She meant Kwara in Oguta or Nwangele grin

1 Like

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by LargeBreed(m): 10:58am On Jan 10, 2021
Onitsha is made of 3 natives: the igalas, the Igbos from the western igboland and the umuezechima from Benin. Some of you give the wrong account by stating that Benin people are originals. This is false because, Ezechima migrated from Arochukwu to Benin and from Benin to Onitsha where lived with the igala and fellow Igbos thereby co-founding Onitsha. Ezechima brought some elements of Benin culture along with him to Onitsha. No Benin person nor prince founded Onitsha, instead Ezechima(who is Igbo from Benin) co-founded Onitsha.

1 Like

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by haffaze777(m): 11:28am On Jan 10, 2021
God bless Anambra stategrin
Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Odkosh: 12:21pm On Jan 10, 2021
Sammy07:

Maybe She meant Kwara in Oguta or Nwangele grin
grin
Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 10, 2021
LargeBreed:
Onitsha is made of 3 natives: the igalas, the Igbos from the western igboland and the umuezechima from Benin. Some of you give the wrong account by stating that Benin people are originals. This is false because, Ezechima migrated from Arochukwu to Benin and from Benin to Onitsha where lived with the igala and fellow Igbos thereby co-founding Onitsha. Ezechima brought some elements of Benin culture along with him to Onitsha. No Benin person nor prince founded Onitsha, instead Ezechima(who is Igbo from Benin) co-founded Onitsha.
On point

1 Like

Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by nku5: 3:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ikengawo:

When did they say so?
Re: Igala, An Important Role Player In The Burial Rite Of Any Late Obi Of Onitsha by nku5: 3:04pm On Jan 10, 2021
LargeBreed:

I thought Ezechima came from Anioma

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho Thanks All Yoruba Supporters Mentions Olubadan, Ffk, Fayose Etc / Femi Gbajabiamila: Gas Holds Key Potential For Nigeria's Economy / Peter Obi Win Ideato Lga Imo State With Wide Gap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.