Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,203 members, 7,829,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) (90641 Views)

My Husband Has Gone To See His Side Chick's Mother / My Sister Has Gone Out Of Control / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by naturefellow(m): 8:10pm On Feb 26, 2021
Please, how much was your mother's bride price?
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by steve6: 8:14pm On Feb 26, 2021
SMH !
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by MozB: 8:15pm On Feb 26, 2021
And you think this was cheap then? Because money had value then doesnt mean we didnt still have the rich and the poor. Most people couldn't still afford this.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by faceland: 8:21pm On Feb 26, 2021
What sins did my ancestors commit that God made me a Nigerian?! cry cry cry
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by faceland: 8:22pm On Feb 26, 2021
MozB:
And you think this was cheap then? Because money had value then doesnt mean we didnt still have the rich and the poor. Most people couldn't still afford this.

My brother, now is worst because income is the same for the past 8 years but prices are increasing weekly.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by MummyD2020(f): 9:07pm On Feb 26, 2021
Your mum is bright. Even some graduates will call the sugar, grinded sugar.

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Christistruth00: 9:16pm On Feb 26, 2021
In 1986 a very good second hand Volkswagen Car was about N1,500

A brand new FIAT Car was N5000

University Students used to buy second hand Cars with their bursary money and still have some change left.

Others used the money to travel abroad for holiday a return ticket to London was N500 and you didn’t need visa
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 26, 2021
jabolo:
Babangida's regime (with his Structural Adjustment Program - SAP) was the beginning of the slippery slope for our great country.

Most old skool people know this.

And, to think he's chillin' on a Hilltop in Minna.

Babangida kor, Iyangida ni! undecided
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by kareemkamil(m): 9:32pm On Feb 26, 2021
I think devalue of naira note will help her currency to appreciate in value
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Christistruth00: 9:32pm On Feb 26, 2021
jabolo:
Babangida's regime (with his Structural Adjustment Program - SAP) was the beginning of the slippery slope for our great country.

Most old skool people know this.

And, to think he's chillin' on a Hilltop in Minna.

You are soooo right do you remember the National argument in 1986 when the whole country told Babangida not to collect the IMF loan because of the harsh conditions attached to it but he still went ahead to collect it well last year IMF confessed that the Structural adjustment Program was what wiped out Nigeria’s middle class but in 1986 even the illiterate in the Village said the Loan would just create future problems for Nigeria

That means that Nigeria’s Village illiterates of 1986 had far better Economic foresight and wisdom than the Educated Experts of the IMF.

2 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by sirqeeboi(m): 10:30pm On Feb 26, 2021
A man lectured us recently that his first salary was 350naira and bought a brand new Peugeot car for 9000+ naira..his last salary was 700,000+ b4 retiring. From that350+ they pay house rent of 60naira for flat house.just within 40yrs.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by mechanics(m): 10:56pm On Feb 26, 2021
Wow.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Wiseking00(m): 11:16pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country

The same man in power then still the one trending for ********
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Leetika: 11:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
To buy a football star player years ago could just little thousand of pounds but today you are hearing millions. Inflation is everywhere
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Mayehunta991: 12:30am On Feb 27, 2021
WetSmoke:
100 naira now can only buy sugar on that list. This is just sad. angry

You cant buy st. LOUIS sugar with 100 naira
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Mayehunta991: 12:35am On Feb 27, 2021
Christistruth00:

You are soooo right do you remember the National argument in 1986 when the whole country told Babangida not to collect the IMF loan because of the harsh conditions attached to it but he still went ahead to collect it well last year IMF confessed that the Structural adjustment Program was what wiped out Nigeria’s middle class but in 1986 even the illiterate in the Village said the Loan would just create future problems for Nigeria

That means that Nigeria’s Village illiterates of 1986 had far better Economic foresight and wisdom than the Educated Experts of the IMF.

Fela warned us about the IMF loans but Nigerians didn't listen... Babangida is the father of Nigeria's economic problems. Another aboki in power that messed everything up now Buhari is borrowing from everyone...another aboki continues to mess things up for the future generations
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Onliie(m): 2:07am On Feb 27, 2021
Stewart883:
Wait are you sure that was 1984? Because I remember buying peak milk in 1991 @4 naira.

Or was that a big tin of powdered milk? Coz I see 7 naira plus on that list
she didn't write one tin of milk, could have been any number
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by JustforMen: 2:30am On Feb 27, 2021
darocha1:
It's the "given 100naira" for me�

yes ooo...she was accounting for the money Daddy dropped oooo
you can sense appreciation even from the writing.
Thunder fire all the slay queen wife wey we dey keep for house nowadays...wicked generation
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Rossnitti: 2:41am On Feb 27, 2021
EMIOMOADEOYE:

Which kind Joy.

There was no Joy in Nigeria in 1984 oooo.

There was no Joy. Everybody was complaining.

Are you minding these small children?

Was it not even before 1984 that Fela was singing 'shuffering and shmiling' and getting brutalised by military regimes?

Was Fela singing about everybody enjoying??

Err no.

You see, that small list of items the OP posted was VERY EXPENSIVE for people back then, when the minimum wage was like 180 naira a month.

97 naira was a huge amount of money in 1984.

These kids are using today's naira weight of 'tens of 'thousands per month' to judge a list of 100s naira from the 80s.

They are assuming that Nigerians back then were earning in 10s of thousands per month like today, while paying only 97 naira for food shopping.

Ridiculous.

Back then things were HARD.

We could barely afford meat sef. Luxury. And we were middle class. One or two pieces max per plate.

Fela even sang the song 'Lady', complaining of how 'Lady' wants to pick the meat from the plate before anybody.

Does that not tell you that things were rough? wink

Things have improved A LOT.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by makaveli902: 4:47am On Feb 27, 2021
[quote author=Themarkethere post=98316399]Even the handwriting speak of the joy wey dey Nigeria then.

100naira with value worth of purchase that is almost going into extinction today, bought foodstuff, provisions and provided for mama's pocket money yet there was almost 6naira to rollover.

How does a child and mother experience so wide a gap in life sight that it feels like it happened two centuries before the child was born?

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by makaveli902: 4:48am On Feb 27, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country
That list was made a day after I was born ��.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by makaveli902: 4:48am On Feb 27, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country
That list was made a day after I was born ��.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by seguno2: 4:59am On Feb 27, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country

How much was the total package for the president, senators, representatives, governors, state assembly lawmakers, LGA Chairmen and councillors in 1983 before Buhari’s coup to stop Ekwueme succeeding Shagari?
How much is the total package of all these public office holders and their jobless aides today

Now do the arithmetic. Thank me later.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by seguno2: 5:04am On Feb 27, 2021
RedRay:
That piece of paper should be taken to museum for safe keep. The future generations will surely ask Buhari and others what transpired overtime.

Please how many museums are you associated with
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by mrkings84(m): 7:18am On Feb 27, 2021
My observation is that that, that 100 naira can't get any of those items now....

Oh, sweet old days when Europeans, Americans and Asians scramble to be in Nigeria just to have a feel of the Nigerian naira.

Sincerely, it won't go down well with Abacha and his defendants.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Victor1883(m): 7:29am On Feb 27, 2021
#6 change still remain.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by binary01: 8:16am On Feb 27, 2021
lol, that moment when you are trying to retrace how you spent soo much money, classic... she must have been shocked she "blow " a whole 100 naira on shopping...

this like every other thing just shows how badly we have sanked as a country, while we busy hating and killing ourselves our misleaders are busy catching cruise on our own demise, when would we wake up?
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by kabnab(m): 8:18am On Feb 27, 2021
100naira can barely buy a pen to make such list
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Uzyvicks(f): 9:26am On Feb 27, 2021
That #100 cannot buy a single thing in that list now o������
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Uzyvicks(f): 9:30am On Feb 27, 2021
That #100 cannot buy a single thing in that list now o������ undecided undecided undecided
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 27, 2021
I am taking into my next class...my students must know how our current leaders enjoyed while they were youths
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by xjiggy: 10:59am On Feb 27, 2021
Stewart883:
Wait are you sure that was 1984? Because I remember buying peak milk in 1991 @4 naira.

Or was that a big tin of powdered milk? Coz I see 7 naira plus on that list
Bro, those days they buy that giant tin of powder milk and bournvita. I'm guessing that is what it is seeing that the price of milk is higher than that of bread. You can see that 2 packets of sugar(St luis for sure) is #5.60.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Good fellows / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.