Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,177 members, 7,829,220 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) (90635 Views)

My Husband Has Gone To See His Side Chick's Mother / My Sister Has Gone Out Of Control / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by NadineWorkSpace(f): 5:49pm On Feb 26, 2021
Five content writers are needed to join a highly productive content writing team.

You will be paid One Million Naira

If you like to write articles and get paid for writing then this team/project is for you.

This opportunity is open to both experienced and new content writers.
The.

Project Details : Content Writing For New and Experienced Content Writers

To signify your interest, send a message to

0 8 0 8 6 3 7 3 0 1 2

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by thatigboman: 5:49pm On Feb 26, 2021
KunleAkingbadeh:
Buhari was the President then, and he is still the President now.
buhari was actually the head of state then
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by NadineWorkSpace(f): 5:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
Five content writers are needed to join a highly productive content writing team.

If you like to write articles and get paid for writing then this team/project is for you.

The.

0 8 0 8 6 3 7 3 0 1 2
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by thatigboman: 5:51pm On Feb 26, 2021
femi4:
Given: N100 grin
Spent: N94:70k
Change: N5:30k

Given by whom?

Even then, to earn N100 wasn't a joke. It had great value
minus N20 from your calculation
Mama N20
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by LordOfTheGame: 5:51pm On Feb 26, 2021
I can tell you that these things were even costlier then as to their normal prices because this demonic dullard was in power then.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by NadineWorkSpace(f): 5:53pm On Feb 26, 2021

The.

0 8 0 8 6 3 7 3 0 1 2
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Mummymahdi(f): 5:56pm On Feb 26, 2021
femi4:
Given: N100 grin
Spent: N94:70k
Change: N5:30k

Given by whom?

Even then, to earn N100 wasn't a joke. It had great value

Even at that the hardship now is not there then, when u H usstle u can achieve alot unlike now one can H usstle for years and be feeding hand to mouth nothing to show
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by berryPee(m): 5:57pm On Feb 26, 2021
Cadbury relocated their plant to Ghana long ago
Adeesther56:
..i have drank bournvita now its been one year

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by planetx: 6:00pm On Feb 26, 2021
truvine:
Immediately I saw KEY SOAP, I knew the list is from a senior citizen, not this generation.

That soap then grin
Yellow color soap with the key inscription.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by ridwanlawal: 6:09pm On Feb 26, 2021
ogashman:
1984, that was when the devil was still asleep.

now he is fully awake.

that #100 can not even get any tangible thing in Nigeria with the current standing of our economy.

what I have come to discover about Nigeria is that....prices do not obey law of gravity that anything that goes up must come down.

In Nigeria any price that goes up, will continue skyrocketing unabated.

pls check my signature for your beddings and bedding materials

ogashman:

now he is fully awake.

that #100 can not even get any tangible thing in Nigeria with the current standing of our economy.

what I have come to discover about Nigeria is that....prices do not obey law of gravity that anything that goes up must come down.

ogashman:

now he is fully awake.

The only thing that goes up and come down in Nigeria is umbrella

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Lovelyn451(f): 6:10pm On Feb 26, 2021
do u know how hard it was to make that #100? my mum told me how their school fee was #20 but some people attend school during third term cos they're busy clearing farms and working to gather the money, while some don't even come at all, some even drop out from there, so its not wise to say that things were better than it is now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 26, 2021
solarview:
It is well with our dear country Nigeria.
I don't think 10K can even buy those stuff now in Lagos.
Lol... Joke of the year! How is bournvita alone.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by chrismastre5(m): 6:14pm On Feb 26, 2021
solarview:
It is well with our dear country Nigeria
I don't think 10K can even buy those stuff now in Lagos.
your dear country idiot
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by judedwriter(m): 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2021
EzzyCarter:
How the mighty have fallen. How this country went on a downward spiral is something I find so shocking lol.

I'm sure if someone who died in '84 resurrects now and he sees the current situation of things, he'd be so shocked he might end up "going back" grin

Lol... grin

Despite the The sharp inflation we have greatly improved technology wise unlike then... We had to wait as kids to 4pm to watch TV which closes at 11pm or 12am
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Efewestern: 6:30pm On Feb 26, 2021
Hammyaladin:

Bad economic policies devalued Naira, Fiat currencies devalue with time ( paper money), And our dependency on Dollars as backup currency reserve all contributed to Nigeria's present woes!!!

Us not being productive killed the economy, during the early 80's, we had several industries, so we imported less, meaning little stress on the naira.

But in the early 90's, due to corruption and mismanagement, several companies collapsed, leading to Nigeria depending on the dollar to import every gaddam thing, including steel and petroleum.

The result, a weak naira and a poorer population. If we don't fix power, start an industrial revolution, in the year 2050, a thousand naira will on get you a bag of sachet water.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by merits(m): 6:38pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country

We should just stop decieving ourselves,even to get money that time is still not easy.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by mofedamijo(m): 6:40pm On Feb 26, 2021
alfredilly:

I beg to differ. The value of money in the western world and some economically stable nation isn't as volatile as we've witnessed in Nigeria and other troubled African countries. For instance, the case of New York house rent you cited above relates to commodities that respond swiftly to competitive market and other human manipulation. Issue like mortgage, price of oil in international market and price tag of players in football for instance depends on market competition and other factors.
Go and collect data on price of commodities and monetary value in UK as at 1950s, you will still get amount valuable in modern day market. You won't compare this with Nigeria where currency denomination fizzle out of circulation due to rapid collapse of their value. Is it not the same country we buy a rubber of rice at 250 naira in 2015, something that now sell for almost 1000 naira now. The implications of all this is the general decline in the qualities of life. An average Nigerian home in the 70s and 80s have thin and canned food as essential commodities, something this generation has replaced with satchet. Some commodities such as milk are even term as luxury altogether. When I was young, my mother will never fry egg without spicing it up with Geisha or corn beef. How many kids of this generation knows with this things are.

To have a grasp of the prevaling bitting inflation in Africa, take the example of Zimbabwe. They were forced to Dollarise their economy because of the rapidly collapse of their own currency.

Did you read the part where i said Nigeria's inflation is worse and also better than some other nations Example is Zimbabwe. My point is simple, in as much as inflation is a global phenomenon, Nigeria has been hit hard with it. Your stand on other factors affecting inflation was not put into place by me because that is not the subject matter. I totally understand your point though.

Let’s look at the cost of a one pound loaf of white bread over a twenty-five year period. In January of 1988, the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Statistics, indicates that a loaf of white bread cost approximately 59¢. In January of 2013, that same loaf of bread cost $1.42. Thus, in the twenty-five year period, the bread increased 83¢ or rose by 140%.

In Nigeria, the price of bread might have increased by 500%, am not sure, haven't been home in a while, however, my point is, Nigeria mught have been hit harder, however, inflation is a global problem.

3 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by kumulus(m): 6:41pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:
Even the handwriting speak of the joy wey dey Nigeria then.

100naira with value worth of purchase that is almost going into extinction today, bought foodstuff, provisions and provided for mama's pocket money yet there was almost 6naira to rollover.

How does a child and mother experience so wide a gap in life sight that it feels like it happened two centuries before the child was born?

The fix is almost here

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by mofedamijo(m): 6:41pm On Feb 26, 2021
VaselineCrew:

Of course inflation affects every country, but it’s the magnitude of the inflation here that is under contention.

Or will you also justify Zimbabwe’s inflation?

Did you read the part where i said Nigeria's inflation is worse and also better than some other nations Example is Zimbabwe. My point is simple, in as much as inflation is a global phenomenon, Nigeria has been hit hard with it. Your stand on other factors affecting inflation was not put into place by me because that is not the subject matter. I totally understand your point though.

Let’s look at the cost of a one pound loaf of white bread over a twenty-five year period. In January of 1988, the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Statistics, indicates that a loaf of white bread cost approximately 59¢. In January of 2013, that same loaf of bread cost $1.42. Thus, in the twenty-five year period, the bread increased 83¢ or rose by 140%.

In Nigeria, the price of bread might have increased by 500%, am not sure, haven't been home in a while, however, my point is, Nigeria mught have been hit harder, however, inflation is a global problem.

2 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Jeff090(m): 6:43pm On Feb 26, 2021
� Lol
Draslo:
Your momsi mouth go sweet o. Na so so sugar full everywhere. tongue

On a more serious note, guys, change remain o.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Jaelluiz: 6:49pm On Feb 26, 2021
One Egg is N70.

There is a long hard way to go.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Angelacruz: 7:02pm On Feb 26, 2021
EzzyCarter:
How the mighty have fallen. How this country went on a downward spiral is something I find so shocking lol.

I'm sure if someone who died in '84 resurrects now and he sees the current situation of things, he'd be so shocked he might end up "going back" grin
I swear
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by stanisbaratheon: 7:05pm On Feb 26, 2021
I almost shed tears seeing that list.

Terrible leadership structure we have these days.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Etobra: 7:17pm On Feb 26, 2021
The highest denomination was Murtala: N20 in 1984. The aforementioned items can now go for N10,000 at least.
What baffles me is that in 1984 we were bitterly complaining of hardship. I mean it.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Akpantheology: 7:18pm On Feb 26, 2021
chai

which way my country😎😎
na only recharge card u fit buy now, even bag of pure water na #120, #130, #150😪😪😪
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by murtalaa(m): 7:48pm On Feb 26, 2021
There was no key soap in 1984. Key soap came in the 90's.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by VaselineCrew: 7:49pm On Feb 26, 2021
mofedamijo:

Okay! we're on the same page.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by capitalzero: 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country

This is about #40,000 now.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by KefeeBRIGHT91(m): 8:05pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country

N100 as of today wouldn't purchase the cheapest item on that list (Container for Oil @ N0.20k)...
this list ought to be laminated, preserved and put on display at museums & public places so theses RULERS would have a constant reminder of how they plunged a once prosperous nation into abject penury.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Coinbased: 8:09pm On Feb 26, 2021
Blame the coward politicians

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Good fellows / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.