Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) (90638 Views)

My Husband Has Gone To See His Side Chick's Mother / My Sister Has Gone Out Of Control / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 26, 2021
ogashman:
1984, that was when the devil was still asleep.

now he is fully awake.

that #100 can not even get any tangible thing in Nigeria with the current standing of our economy.

what I have come to discover about Nigeria is that....prices do not obey law of gravity that anything that goes up must come down.

In Nigeria any price that goes up, will continue skyrocketing unabated.

pls check my signature for your beddings and bedding materials

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by KanuSE: 3:48pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:
Even the handwriting speak of the joy wey dey Nigeria then.

100naira with value worth of purchase that is almost going into extinction today, bought foodstuff, provisions and provided for mama's pocket money yet there was almost 6naira to rollover.

How does a child and mother experience so wide a gap in life sight that it feels like it happened two centuries before the child was born?

They were complaining of economic hardship back then as well.

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by EzeNri(m): 3:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
WetSmoke:
100 naira now can only buy sugar on that list. This is just sad. angry
Dangote Sugar #150

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by GreaterFuture3: 3:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
Ofunaofu:
1984:
just before Buhari overthrew a democratically elected government
Very inaccurate, atleast use Google to make sure first
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by lastchild: 3:51pm On Feb 26, 2021
it's still the same thing, that #100 you are seeing there was as hard to earn as #5000 of today
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by GreaterFuture3: 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2021
semyman:
My monthly upkeep then was NGN300 as a student from which i still had savings
300 naira monthly? In 1984?
Which school and what part of the Country Pls
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Adeesther56(f): 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2021
berryPee:
OP bournvita was not up to 7.0 naira as of 1984-98
..i have drank bournvita now its been one year
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Odidigboigbo(m): 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2021
WetSmoke:
that should be granular tied sugar.

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by GeneralPula: 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2021
RedRay:
That piece of paper should be taken to museum for safe keep. The future generations will surely ask Buhari and others what transpired overtime.

Buhari or PDP..
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by EzeNri(m): 3:53pm On Feb 26, 2021
This should be kept in a museum
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by uniquelyspecial(m): 3:53pm On Feb 26, 2021
solarview:
It is well with our dear country Nigeria.
I don't think 10K can even buy those stuff now in Lagos.
You shouldn't be talking of 100k because only the yam will finish 10k. Cassava still dey oo
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by alfredilly: 3:54pm On Feb 26, 2021
mofedamijo:
In as much as inflation has hit Nigeria so bad. This is applicable to so many developed countries in the world.

From an economist point of view, how much was the salary then? Maybe N700, how much is salary today?? My point is, salary structure alao changed. I mean, no graduate earns N700 as monthly salary today. Same way the price of ticket from the U.S back then to Africa used to be $150-$288, today, its around $1,000-1400. Inflation has been hitting the world and not just Nigeria, yes, Nigeria might have in rough than others and might have it better than some other nations.

To effectively calculate it and determine how bad it is, economist will try to convert that money to how much it is worth in todays market. And compare the percentage in inflation. You could rent an apartment for $120 in Newyork in the 60s, $120 wont even pay your agreement fee today in Newyork.

So before you bash Nigeria, know that this is a global phenomenon.

And for the record, N100 was a lot of money back then. That is some families monthly salary back then.

I beg to differ. The value of money in the western world and some economically stable nation isn't as volatile as we've witnessed in Nigeria and other troubled African countries. For instance, the case of New York house rent you cited above relates to commodities that respond swiftly to competitive market and other human manipulation. Issue like mortgage, price of oil in international market and price tag of players in football for instance depends on market competition and other factors.
Go and collect data on price of commodities and monetary value in UK as at 1950s, you will still get amount valuable in modern day market. You won't compare this with Nigeria where currency denomination fizzle out of circulation due to rapid collapse of their value. Is it not the same country we buy a rubber of rice at 250 naira in 2015, something that now sell for almost 1000 naira now. The implications of all this is the general decline in the qualities of life. An average Nigerian home in the 70s and 80s have thin and canned food as essential commodities, something this generation has replaced with satchet. Some commodities such as milk are even term as luxury altogether. When I was young, my mother will never fry egg without spicing it up with Geisha or corn beef. How many kids of this generation knows with this things are.

To have a grasp of the prevaling bitting inflation in Africa, take the example of Zimbabwe. They were forced to Dollarise their economy because of the rapidly collapse of their own currency.

4 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by GeneralPula: 3:54pm On Feb 26, 2021
Nigeria was once a great country before some set of MOFOs graced the presidency..

Still, things go better if we Nigerians are ready to change for better..

Everything little thing is bleeped up in this country..

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by GreaterFuture3: 3:55pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country
₦100 for market? You guys were Rich!
₦20 for mama, that should put things in perspective for you to understand things. Also Nigeria was never Great.
I say it Again, you guys were Confam Upper-Middle Class!
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by uniquelyspecial(m): 3:56pm On Feb 26, 2021
lastchild:
it's still the same thing, that #100 you are seeing there was as hard to earn as #5000 of today
Yet #5000 cannot buy more than the oil and sugar on the list.

Reason am na
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by GreaterFuture3: 3:57pm On Feb 26, 2021
lastchild:
100 Naira then is like 100k now
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Ashirioluwa: 4:01pm On Feb 26, 2021
That was when Nigeria was good before Babangida came to finish everything
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by OROSUNBOLB(m): 4:06pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:

100naira with value worth of purchase that is almost going into extinction today, bought foodstuff, provisions and provided for mama's pocket money yet there was almost 6naira to rollover.

How does a child and mother experience so wide a gap in life sight that it feels like it happened two centuries before the child was born?

I was in Primary four then and I can recall,very clearly,that Nigerians were complaining bitterly at the period that the economy was very bad still ! The truth is that Nigeria was a better place to live than most European countries at that time. Food and other basic needs were available and cheap. My grandmother of blessed memory always ensured that I took a cup of tea,very rich in Peak milk,after every meal ! Good old days !

May the Almighty God restore the lost glory of our nation.

4 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 26, 2021
Ofunaofu:
1984:
just before Buhari overthrew a democratically elected government

Buhari took power on December 31 1983.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by saajus: 4:09pm On Feb 26, 2021
You are right. That's why we shouldn't always listen to most of these foreign bodies like OPEC, WTO. They are dominated by powerful countries in the world and they will never make decisions that will not favour them. What was the sin of Ghadaffi? He asked just a simple question that how can we be trading oil in the currency of a country that does not really produce oil. He was proposing a currency for Africa, just like Euro. America is not one of the largest world oil producers but they can manipulate oil price anytime they want. The FBI advised EFCC about Crypto, and they took it just like that. The FBI is trying to stop "yahoo yahoo" illicit funds coming into our country, whereas we don't think of other advantages of Crypto. Anytime they ask us to devalue our currency, we always do without even asking questions.

I understand why we can't make our own decisions. Those powerful countries may stop the aids they are giving us. That's why I will forever love Thomas Sankara. He stopped all aids coming into Burkina Faso so that no country can control him.

jabolo:
Babangida's regime (with his Structural Adjustment Program - SAP) was the beginning of the slippery slope for our great country.

Most old skool people know this.

And, to think he's chillin' on a Hilltop in Minna.

3 Likes

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by koyyess: 4:09pm On Feb 26, 2021
That's the regressiveness in African DNA for you.

Male negroes turning into animals as generation passes by.

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by ListoFabrics: 4:10pm On Feb 26, 2021
Even 100 naira okpa now dey like kpof kpof bonz
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by juniorstar(m): 4:11pm On Feb 26, 2021
migeoart:
Nigeria my great country
this list is worth 15000 to 45000 depending on the quantity your mum is buying.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Cromagnon: 4:18pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:

inflation due to laziness

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Cromagnon: 4:19pm On Feb 26, 2021
nke001:
Fortune Tunez's hit track comes to mind -

7 Naira

Inflation has hit us so hard since independence and no hope of redemption for such a forced cum failed nation as this!

Our leaders rulers has failed us since the days of lugard.

Even the so called future leaders had been programmed to think tribe and religion before humanity.

Such a shame!
your leaders did not fsil
You did
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by alphaNomega: 4:19pm On Feb 26, 2021
Today the total cannot purchase one item on that list
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Wadosky(m): 4:20pm On Feb 26, 2021
Good wife,I know she returned the balance to the husband.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Esohjay0: 4:21pm On Feb 26, 2021
KunleAkingbadeh:
Buhari was the President then, and he is still the President now.
and we are still the leader of tomorrow
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by tonyashburton: 4:22pm On Feb 26, 2021
WetSmoke:
Only tie-tie sugar can be bought for that amount.

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Originalsly: 4:26pm On Feb 26, 2021
Themarkethere:

What was her salary then?..... how wide a gap between then and now? We need to balance our reports and comparisons. But no doubt... the cost of living then was not as high as it is today.
Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by plot697: 4:27pm On Feb 26, 2021
As a JSS 1 student in 1986, I was given #20 as pocket money by my elder brother. I nearly ran mad.

1 Like

Re: My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 26, 2021
KunleAkingbadeh:
Buhari was the President then, and he is still the President now.

He started the destruction back then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Good fellows / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.