Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,792 members, 7,831,568 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

What Does Asiwaju Mean? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Asiwaju Mean? (36517 Views)

Kwara By-election: APC Mega Rally, Does This Mean Saraki Is Gone In Kwara? / Asiwaju Tinubu Look Super Dapper In This Picture / We've Sacrificed Everything For PDP; Loyalty Must Mean Something - Dankwambo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by MNDY(m): 10:04am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:
This is difficult to Translate but a literal transliteration would be

One who opens (leads) from the front

A leader
The first
One who opens the road etc

It is a common honorary title in Yoruba land. conferred by different obas or kings

Tinubu was given the title by the Oba of Eko( Lagos) and therefore is the Asiwaju of Eko of Lagos Town .

Many people assume he is Asiwaju of Lagos State or even Yoruba land . This is inaccurate

Tinubu no doubt aspires to be Asiwaju of Yoruba land

Recently in a time of crisis , he has gone missing. This would not be the first time.
I should be clear to all right thinking Yoruba just now that he does not Si waju rara ati rara

Ero eyin ni Tinubu. Ojo si ni pelu

He has lost whatever respect he has and should quietly retire and enjoy his bullion

But he chooses the governors of Yorubaland except Oyo where nobody will listen to him
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by ShaqFu: 10:05am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

A leader
The first

It is a common honorary title in Yoruba land. conferred by different obas or kings

Tinubu was given the title by the Oba of Eko( Lagos) and therefore is the Asiwaju of Eko of Lagos Town .

Many people assume he is Asiwaju of Lagos State or even Yoruba land . This is inaccurate

Recently in a time of crisis , he has gone missing. This would not be the first time.
I should be clear to all right thinking Yoruba just now that he does not Si waju rara ati rara

He has lost whatever respect he has and should quietly retire and enjoy his bullion
You obviously need brain transplant.
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Jack500: 10:23am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

Guy there willl not be any election in 2023

Wake up

It is obvious you are the one sleeping, election will hold in 2023, and a winner will be declared, are you ready to bet?
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by pacespot(m): 10:24am On Jun 25, 2022
Asiwaju or not, this Tinubu should never be our next president, at least for the sake of Nigerian youth. Youths don't know that their common enemies are these old Nigerian men who hate to see them progress for no reason. I am talking from experience, the HATE is real o! if I begin to tell you my stories, you will be wowed by the kind of bitterness these old Nigerian men stomach for you as a young Nigerian, except you are their siblings of course. If you are the type that like to dress in a fashionable way wearing nice pant trouser and t-shirt with a very decent haircut, then you will discover that there is no friend of yours among these old Nigerian men who are gradually imbibing some Islamic cultures into our national politics. The irony is that the same man that is hating you for dressing in a youthful way might just be a chronic thief in a government office, but his "high" moral standard that cannot restrain him from stealing from government coffer will all be at full gear in scrutinizing your every way as a youth because of your choice of dressing. The hypocricy is loud, I swell! The hate is just too obvious for everyone to see, and there is nothing you can do about it except you vote someone that will protect your interests as a young Nigerian. Nigerian Youths should find a common destiny among the top three presidential candidates that will be a lesser evil to them.

General Mohammed Buhari already hates you for being a young energetic Nigerian guy that he could never be in this life anymore as a sick old bitter man. Buhari hates you for believing in human freedom and progress which his Islamic doctrines abhor so much and try to take away from you. Buhari hates you for fighting for egalitarian society like "restructuring" to bring about equality and justice for all because this is against the tenet of his Islam which seeks to conquer and dominate you.

So I implore you as a young Nigerian, do not let hatred of religious and ethnic biases blindfold you by electing another Buhari ProMax in Tinubu or Atiku. The ball is in your court, this election might just be the beginning of the new Nigeria we all have been hoping for.

A Word Is Enough For The Wise...

1 Like

Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by FuckSilly: 10:29am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

A leader
The first

Or deh niyin sar

1 Like

Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 10:36am On Jun 25, 2022
AM NO YORUBA,BUT THE REAL MEANING OF ASIWAJU IS:
MOVING YOU(US) FORWARD...THAT IS THE SLAGON OF LAGOS TRAFFICK RADIO grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Richcreed(m): 10:48am On Jun 25, 2022
nighter:

That's what I call them all too. "omo ale jati jati". Infact, that's how I see them..
abi o..the thing tire me, just wondering wetin the man do them. its very bad for a yoruba person to be insulting him like that on a public forum for that matter, at least if we are to list all prominent yoruba politicians till date since 1960, his name go dey among. if they no wan vote am , make dem vote someone else

2 Likes

Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Richcreed(m): 10:50am On Jun 25, 2022
JAGS001:

I hope they will understand that bringing someone personality down, it's a bad home training according to Nigerian culture generally, this are people that wants change but can't be respectful to elders and put them aside with their PVC, and I hope they remember that if you insult someone's father, people one day will also insult your father by then how will you feel or by the time you're Insulted by younger people when you get old, moreover old age is a blessing none of us want our parents to die even though we know it's constant.
na so, mannerless generation, insulting someone old enough to b their father forming woke! shiooor
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Unclesamo(m): 10:57am On Jun 25, 2022
RedPhoenix:
He's keeping a low profile to protect himself from verbal attacks and criticisms. He's also doing this by distancing himself from the presidency. Don't be u strategic. He's protecting his head

I believe by now, the answer to your statement has been revealed through his deceit
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by erubati: 11:02am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

A leader
The first

Ta nie?
Ta ni baba e Nile yi?
Omo ale nie
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Oloki: 11:10am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

A leader
The first

Asiwaju means forerunner
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by comodo: 11:15am On Jun 25, 2022
helinues:

Wailing in new dimensions... Meanwhile una wailing to be continued in 2023
Most times I really dont understand this wailings of a thing.
Does it mean that there are some masses who are enjoying this country more than others?? I go enter market, everyone go dey shout say something he bought #100 last week is now #200. But I come to Nairaland. I go dey see some saying that others re wailing. Pls is there a special place where this people are kept and being taken care of?
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by aribisala0(m): 11:19am On Jun 25, 2022
Oloki:

Asiwaju means forerunner
There is a difference between MEANING and translation.

We do not access meaning by supplying a synonym
Forerunner means................

Asiwaju

That does not get us very far
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by nony43(m): 11:23am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

There is an open secret that disqualifies him from contesting

Those who know are just waiting for the right time

All politicians are greed but his own is too much and too brazen

He has no respect for Yoruba Obas and believes everyone can be bought

True.
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by yetunsbay(m): 11:39am On Jun 25, 2022
Front Bearer

Nevertheless, op is pained
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Linguistical001(m): 11:40am On Jun 25, 2022
Wow!
So you alone will have how many votes, a thousand!? Maybe a million? The great seer who can see through another man, here's a question for you and you alone. What is your contribution to the Yorùbá race? As long as I would've love to look away, this your post wouldn't allow it; "báa bá láà ní ṣoògùn ìkà mọ́ ẹni máa jẹwọ ò ní gbà. Tinubu is your problem today because he's so successful, lemme tell you this and I want you to keep at the bank of your mind, olófo ló ń bínú ológbò. Relax, hypertension is not good for you brother.
aribisala0:

I am not seeking his opinion

I have seen through Tinubu from DAY ONE

I am just preparing the ground for 2023

He will be put to shame IN LAGOS STATE
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by yetunsbay(m): 11:43am On Jun 25, 2022
pacespot:
Asiwaju or not, this Tinubu should never be our next president, at least for the sake of Nigerian youth. Youths don't know that their common enemies are these old Nigerian men who hate to see them progress for no reason. I am talking from experience, the HATE is real o! if I begin to tell you my stories, you will be wowed by the kind of bitterness these old Nigerian men stomach for you as a young Nigerian, except you are their siblings of course. If you are the type that like to dress in a fashionable way wearing nice pant trouser and t-shirt with a very decent haircut, then you will discover that there is no friend of yours among these old Nigerian men who are gradually imbibing some Islamic cultures into our national politics. The irony is that the same man that is hating you for dressing in a youthful way might just be a chronic thief in a government office, but his "high" moral standard that cannot restrain him from stealing from government coffer will all be at full gear in scrutinizing your every way as a youth because of your choice of dressing. The hypocricy is loud, I swell! The hate is just too obvious for everyone to see, and there is nothing you can do about it except you vote someone that will protect your interests as a young Nigerian. Nigerian Youths should find a common destiny among the top three presidential candidates that will be a lesser evil to them.

General Mohammed Buhari already hates you for being a young energetic Nigerian guy that he could never be in this life anymore as a sick old bitter man. Buhari hates you for believing in human freedom and progress which his Islamic doctrines abhor so much and try to take away from you. Buhari hates you for fighting for egalitarian society like "restructuring" to bring about equality and justice for all because this is against the tenet of his Islam which seeks to conquer and dominate you.

So I implore you as a young Nigerian, do not let hatred of religious and ethnic biases blindfold you by electing another Buhari ProMax in Tinubu or Atiku. The ball is in your court, this election might just be the beginning of the new Nigeria we all have been hoping for.

A Word Is Enough For The Wise...
lol which new Nigeria.

Naija can never be more than the way it is.
BAT will definitely win thou the only act that can stop him is if GOD ALMIGHTY do not wish
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Bar1941(m): 11:44am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

You are delusional

Tinubu has ALWAYS been a sectional leader so stop deceiving yourself. His section is Lagos not even the SW

He cannot hold Oyo Ondo or Ekiti.

No one is asking him to protect but he should not be a coward . He should speak

When he speaks he should not ask Where are the cows

Tell us one state outside the SW where he has influence

Tinubu is there for himself and his family

What has his wife achieved for Lagos in the Senate?
He got his daughter appointed as Iyaloja of Lagos by Akiolu and she is extorting computer village in Ikeja

Is Akiolu Oba of Lagos state

The same Tinubu that calls Obas of Yorubaland atenuje

Ojo esin Tinubu ti su

He could not even hold Edo

MD of NPA is Aboki the entire security apparatus Aboki

The airports and seaport in Lagos is full of illiterate abokis

If Tinubu had any honour he should have left the government instead he was disgracing himself with bullion vans

The boldened fits you more than anyone else, Tinubu was named Asiwaju based on the post he held as a governor and later leader of a political leader but not necessarily the leader of Yorubas. Every governors in their states are Asiwaju in their various states just the way Buhari is Asiwaju of Nigeria. Asiwaju simply means leader and I don’t think that should be too difficult for your akamu full skull to comprehend.
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Linguistical001(m): 11:44am On Jun 25, 2022
I tire o... If person tumble e go say na Tinubu, Tinubu is supposed to be feeding their father before he can satisfy them, àwọn dìndìnrìn.
Richcreed:
abi o..the thing tire me, just wondering wetin the man do them. its very bad for a yoruba person to be insulting him like that on a public forum for that matter, at least if we are to list all prominent yoruba politicians till date since 1960, his name go dey among. if they no wan vote am , make dem vote someone else
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by naijapikin2(m): 11:49am On Jun 25, 2022
Asiwaju simply means: it is my turn to rule nigeria.
tinubu means: I can never rule nigeria.
Take your pick, and choose wisely
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by naijapikin2(m): 11:50am On Jun 25, 2022
Asiwaju simply means: it is my turn to rule nigeria.
tinubu means: I can never rule nigeria.
Take your pick, and choose wisely grin
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by bjtinz: 11:53am On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

Guy there willl not be any election in 2023

Wake up

Really?? shocked
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by joyandfaith: 11:58am On Jun 25, 2022
mariahAngel:
I don't even think he was conferred with the title in the first place, rather he bought it.

There's nothing Asiwaju about Tinubu, rather he is Asapamo.

But who cares though...

He is actually Asiwaju awon omo ita( thugs).
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Banhammy717: 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2022
The only person to criticize in Nigeria today is Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, If you really want to trend.
Once you mention Asiwaju, everyone will read your story.
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 25, 2022
Oloki:

Asiwaju means forerunner

You got it.
It also means Leader. First among equal s .

When Belgian authority returned the last part of Lumumba's remains and people complained of injustices to African Nations. I reminded them MKO Abiola studied the injustices to African and Blacks in Diaspora.

He started a project on Reparations and Repatriation against inhumanity and damages to African and Blacks in Diaspora.

At the height of that struggle he joined Politics and died. Since then, in Africa, nobody has grown to Abiola stature to continue that struggle.

The project received acknowledgements from OAU ( now AU) and all African countries with submissions and representations to UN.

MKO Abiola was number one in Africa. That is one of the reasons the bittered tribe never wanted anybody to become a colossus and a man of no easy means again from MKO kindred.

1 Like

Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Dchampion65: 12:12pm On Jun 25, 2022
ORIENTATION101:
you people re always on Tinubu neck for every thing that happens in APC, Nigeria, south west region .cut him some slack he can't be everywhere.
You people want to drag Tinubu to unnecessary war with his adversaries like your ancestors did to Awolowo.
Tinubu will never make the same mistake awo did. You cant reduce tinubu to a sectional leader.
The duty of sectional leaders like
Are onakakanfo
Afenifere
Opc
Amotekun
Monarchs is to stand up against external force not a political leader.
If these names cant protect south west region then they should vacate their positions.

The same way they pushed Abiola to his death. Tinubu is threading wisely not to become casualty. Too many vultures around him.
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by oneMalik: 12:36pm On Jun 25, 2022
you can hate anyone for no reason at all ,there's no crime in that , cos the way you hate tinubu is the same way alot of people hate and even want you dead too.... even in your family.

So to me , ASIWAJU means a LEADER !

Someone who LEAD while others follow .

in case you don't mind we may equally know the meaning of your name too

aribisala0:

A leader
The first

Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by eedriyz(m): 12:37pm On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:

A leader
The first

Because he's not making noise means he's not doing anything? Ask your king about Asiwaju
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by RexTramadol1: 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2022
Diswan just wake up type rubbish
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 25, 2022
Oloki:

Asiwaju means forerunner

It was Oba Adeyinka Oyekan the late Eleko (Oba of Lagos) that installed him as the Asiwaju (first among equals) of Lagos after a careful analysis and observation.

Only a person with high level of determination, commitment and sense of responsibility can fight the battle of his life to rescue VI & Lekki from being taken over by Ocean.
Re: What Does Asiwaju Mean? by Oloki: 1:24pm On Jun 25, 2022
aribisala0:
There is a difference between MEANING and translation.

We do not access meaning by supplying a synonym
Forerunner means................

Asiwaju

That does not get us very far

Well, as somebody up there said, first among equal. That tally with it too.

By the way, aribisala is a well know name to me. Are you from ilupeju Ekiti?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Set For Second Term, Wins 18 LGAs / Obasanjo Warns Of Coup, Isn't That Treasonable? / Rasheed Ladoja Secretly Refunded N500 Million Of Monies Stolen From Oyo Treasury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.