Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? (16005 Views)

Ministerial Screening: 3 Things Shittu Said Most Nigerians Won't Agree With / Gen Buhari Interview With BBC / General Muhammadu Buhari's Interview With Bbc Hardtalk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 7:22am On Apr 05, 2011
Igwe-1:

There are multiple sources on these. I will pull them up when i get a chance. Bottomline is that Igbos are the most populated ethnic group in nigeria by all Margins but the conspiracy of the Yoruba and Hausa and Britian has kept the truth hidden. Thats why i want an honest person to lead Nigeria so the truth can come to light.
actually the igbos are the owners of kano,katsina,bauchi, kaduna abuja lagos and port harcourt where they are in the majority and own most of the landed property.igbos are about 70% of nigeria's population
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by fstranger5: 7:23am On Apr 05, 2011
aribisala0:

this is a myth that  just does not stack up with the facts. i do not and cannot know what the likely population of the different parts of nigeria is but i know what my visceral bias would like it to be.
desert or not the fact remains that the north feeds the south with grain,peppers,tomatoes,potatoes,millet onions,beef,sheep,goats and chickens the flow of these products in nigeria is unidirectional from north to south ALWAYS. last year the transporters went on strike and lagos nearly starved with food price inflation of  more than 100%
this is where you find the highest level of irrigation and consumption of fertilisers and other agricultural inputs. there is very little mechanized agriculture in the south .what does this prove nothing really except that we in the south are desperate to show that we have a higher population. that particular argument is not good enough and indeed suggests the opposite to what is being argued.the reality is population has to be measured in the field not deduced by specious reasoning that seems good to us. i was in nigeria during the last census and know for a fact that ethnicity was not recorded during the last census. for all we know the majority population of kano may be igbo but there is no way of demonstrating this. the other issue is polygamy this is greatest in northern nigeria. the most recent voter register suggest a higher population in the north. i know people will say it is rigged but the one fact that won't go away is that this so-called desert produces enough food  for itself and kindly  sends some down to us in our arable south.

+1

Mr. Sa n skuul

Very well articulated I must admit
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by Chyz2: 7:29am On Apr 05, 2011
aribisala0:

this is a myth that  just does not stack up with the facts. i do not and cannot know what the likely population of the different parts of nigeria is but i know what my visceral bias would like it to be.
desert or not the fact remains that the north feeds the south with grain,peppers,tomatoes,potatoes,millet onions,beef,sheep,goats and chickens the flow of these products in nigeria is unidirectional from north to south ALWAYS. last year the transporters went on strike and lagos nearly starved with food price inflation of  more than 100%
this is where you find the highest level of irrigation and consumption of fertilisers and other agricultural inputs. there is very little mechanized agriculture in the south .what does this prove nothing really except that we in the south are desperate to show that we have a higher population. that particular argument is not good enough and indeed suggests the opposite to what is being argued.the reality is population has to be measured in the field not deduced by specious reasoning that seems good to us. i was in nigeria during the last census and know for a fact that ethnicity was not recorded during the last census. for all we know the majority population of kano may be igbo but there is no way of demonstrating this. the other issue is polygamy this is greatest in northern nigeria. the most recent voter register suggest a higher population in the north. i know people will say it is rigged but[flash=200,200]http://the one fact that won't go away is that this so-called desert produces enough food  for itself and kindly  sends some down to us in our arable south.[/flash]

The desert north or the Middle-belt, as far as vegetation goes? Also, what happens when the SE/SS begins getting these things from Cameroun and the SW get theirs from Benin Republic? When the Norherners when on their strike, i can remember the newspapers saying that the SE was suffering, but you can prove me wrong on that.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 7:36am On Apr 05, 2011
pls stop saying this igbos are everywhere so. is everyone else.lots of hausas in igboland  the last time i checked plenty in port harcourt lagos and ibadan so unless you measure it we can be on this thread till they finish the elaections in nigeria you will not convince anyone and no one will convince you stalemat smiley
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 7:41am On Apr 05, 2011
the argument not going your way so you remove the middle belt. firstly define MIDDLE BELT NAME THE STATES.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by Chyz2: 7:48am On Apr 05, 2011
aribisala0:

the argument not going your way so you remove the middle belt. firstly define MIDDLE BELT NAME THE STATES.

I don't remember arguing with you to begin with. my first question to you was " The desert north or the middle belt, as far as vegetation goes". Now, middlebelt states: Benue State, Kogi State, Plateau State, Nasarawa State, Adamawa State and Kwara State.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by ektbear: 7:50am On Apr 05, 2011
@odumchi, EzeUche, OnlyTruth: Sounds plausible, but I'm not sold. Fortunately I have a copy of Igbo History and Society: The Essays of Adiele Afigbo, which will hopefully have some answers.

@fstranger: I hope you see why I don't care too much if Igbos are #1 in pop or #3. If you think about it a bit. . . in neither situation do we lose. If you are #1, unless that #1 is a strict majority, it only places a target on your back.

@aribisala0: How much of that food production comes from Hausaland versus the middle belt? I thought most of it is grown in the middle belt?
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:03am On Apr 05, 2011
i am not aware of a desert north . i am only aware or northern nigeria that is why i asked you to define middle belt . your terminology not mine.
educate me
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by ektbear: 8:09am On Apr 05, 2011
Wikipedia does a pretty fair job, I think:

Minorities in Nigeria tend to be dominated by the three largest ethnic groups, the Hausa of North and the Igbo and Yoruba of the South; the result in the Middle Belt is occasional political unity and solidarity amongst these highly differentiated peoples, an example being the United Middle Belt Congress that emerged following Nigeria's independence from Britain in 1960.
Areas of Nigeria which are generally referred to as belonging to the Middle Belt are: Kwara State, Kogi State, Benue State, Plateau State, Nasarawa State, Niger State, Adamawa State and Taraba State. Also included are the southern parts of Kaduna State, Zuru area of Kebbi State, Tafawa Balewa and Bogoro areas of Bauchi State, Tangale and Waja areas of Gombe State and the southern parts of Borno State (Biu area).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Belt

Basically, Northern Nigeria minus Hausaland, minus Kanuriland.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:11am On Apr 05, 2011
the reason i am here is the hope that i will learn something. please do not disappoint me.

who agreed that these states are middle belt and when ?
is this a geographical or political aggregation

please tell me which part of northern nigeria is hausaland to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing but i am here to learn.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by ektbear: 8:16am On Apr 05, 2011
^-- Err. . . what? Hausaland. . . .the territory of land in Nigeria primarily populated by Hausa ethnic stock. . . as the map on the first page of this threads talks about.

Here is another one from 1979: http://culture.chiamaka.com/images/nigeria_linguistic_1979.jpg

Are you pretending that you don't know, for some reason?

Let's not worry about the who/when/where of the middle belt for now; since Hausaland and Kanuriland are well defined territories, everything else becomes simple.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:23am On Apr 05, 2011
you see a lot of southerners make assumptions like you now hausa stock what does that mean?
ahmadu bello,tafawa balewa gowon ,buhari,shagari, atiku, babangida abacha, alhaji alhaji,lamido sanusi,abdulsalam abubakar which of them is hausa stock?
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:26am On Apr 05, 2011
to the best of my knowledge there was no census in 1979.
who is chiamaka?
really this is getting ridiculous
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by naijaking1: 8:27am On Apr 05, 2011
My understanding is that the whole south easthern Nigeria, from western Cameron to as far east as where we call Yorubaland today, up to and including most of Kogi, Benue, and up to the Adamawa mountains are inhabited by people who had the same ancestral relationship with the people we call Igbos today. There is no doubt even before the civil war, that the number of people who identified themselves as Igbos or as having Igbo ancestors was more than we have today.
Igbos are just Igbos, meaning the World. Like the Igbos themselves would ask, Igbo ebe k'isi bia---which part of the World did you come from.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:30am On Apr 05, 2011
people are entitled to their understandings that is your riight. if you want others to share your understanding there is a hurdle called evidence otherwise it is a doctrine that relies on faith like religion.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by ektbear: 8:36am On Apr 05, 2011
@aribisala0: I know that it is more convenient to not understand the term "Hausaland." Far more advantageous for you to only understand "the North." Still, from the terms Yorubaland and Igboland, then it shouldn't be hard to get the term Hausaland as well.

@naijaking1: Almost everywhere in the world, neighbors have common ancestry (or some sort of distant kinship bond.) It is nothing special, new, or unique.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:37am On Apr 05, 2011
this is true the igbos are descendants of the yorubas we say ibi they say ebe  here
we say ile they say ala  ground etc
i know tell me i will not be silly grin
let us not derail the point is this somebody said that northern nigeria is a desert and cannot feed  the north to support the population ascribed to the north and i sain no northern nigeria feeds itself and send its surplus food down south. so someone decides oh its not the north its the middle belt so i say lets define this middle belt that is where we are.
i am hoping that even though kano is not a food producer we wlll accept their figures on trust after all lagos too does not produce food.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by naijaking1: 8:42am On Apr 05, 2011
aribisala0:

people are entitled to their understandings that is your riight. if you want others to share your understanding there is a hurdle called evidence otherwise it is a doctrine that relies on faith like religion.

You're right.
Have you ever wondered why Yorubas and Igbos have the word for God? Orisa, Orisha, Olisa? Anthropologically, the vernacular word of important words such as God, tends to show common ancestry and history.
I drove drove from Abuja to Enugu last year, and was surprised to see towns named Ejula, Eboyi-Afor, and Achalla right in middle of Kogi state. These are Igbo names, and while no-one is claiming to adjust Igbo boundaries into Kogi, the native people of the area certainly know their history. My point is that we're probably more similar than we're different.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:43am On Apr 05, 2011
yorubaland extends way beyond nigeria and so that term in the context of nigeria is wring . we talk of western nigeria. but i asked you a question which of those guys is of hausa stock. the answer is none i.e zero
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by naijaking1: 8:45am On Apr 05, 2011
aribisala0:

this is true the igbos are descendants of the yorubas we say ibi they say ebe here
we say ile they say ala ground etc
i know tell me i will not be silly grin
let us not derail the point is this somebody said that northern nigeria is a desert and cannot feed the north to support the population ascribed to the north and i sain no northern nigeria feeds itself and send its surplus food down south. so someone decides oh its not the north its the middle belt so i say lets define this middle belt that is where we are.
i am hoping that even though kano is not a food producer we wlll accept their figures on trust after all lagos too does not produce food.

It's possible Igbos descended from Yorubas, or vis versa.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:46am On Apr 05, 2011
my other point is this how you say there are millions of igbos scattered across nigeria and not accept that there are also millions of hausas scattered across the so-called midddle belt and even in igboland and the west this is hypocrisy
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aribisala0(m): 8:48am On Apr 05, 2011
naijaking if you subscribe to the adam and eve theory then if we go back far enough yes. but this is about census let us focus
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by Gbenge77(m): 1:38pm On Apr 05, 2011
The BBC practice investigative journalism and this report does not seem far-fetched.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by DeeJay20: 1:41pm On Apr 05, 2011
You guys can be soo lame sometimes, BBC say something
about nigeria and all of you are quick to rush in and
comment like some "sheeple", .sometimes i wonder about
the self-worth of nigerians sometimes, soo poor on internal-value
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by Gbenge77(m): 1:42pm On Apr 05, 2011
The BBC practice investigative journalism and this report does not seem far-fetched.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by DeeJay20: 1:43pm On Apr 05, 2011
Gbenge 77:

WHATEVA!!!, , U need to allow it with all diz "echoing", BBC does what is has
to do to keep fools accross the third world especially believeing its *hype*
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by DeeJay20: 1:46pm On Apr 05, 2011
johnie:

I expect to see the colours on this map more evenly spread with less of the green (PDP) after these elections.

I hope that happens because it would be good for us.

The influence of PDP needs to be curtailed but I would not like to see the colours (parties) concentrating along ethnic lines.

That would be disastrous!

Dude you need to calm down on all this BBC Sourcing,
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by EzeUche(m): 1:49pm On Apr 05, 2011
naijaking1:

It's possible Igbos descended from Yorubas, or vis versa.

I really doubt that. Most anthropologist believe that the Igbo, Idoma, Igala and Yoruba are descendants of a common ancestor.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by malabite: 2:13pm On Apr 05, 2011
ok
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by T9ksy(m): 2:18pm On Apr 05, 2011
EzeUche:

I really doubt that. Most anthropologist believe that the[b] Igbo[/b], Idoma, Igala and Yoruba are descendants of a common ancestor.

HELL NO!!! The only common denominator between the yorubas and the igbos is their skin colour.
Apart from the aforementioned, we have nothing else in common!
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by aletheia(m): 2:20pm On Apr 05, 2011
naijaking1:

My understanding is that the whole south easthern Nigeria, from western Cameron to as far east as where we call Yorubaland today, up to and including most of Kogi, Benue, and up to the Adamawa mountains are inhabited by people who had the same ancestral relationship with the people we call Igbos today.
^Minus the Tiv, who are recent immigrants in historical terms.

EzeUche:

I really doubt that. Most anthropologist believe that the Igbo, Idoma, Igala and Yoruba are descendants of a common ancestor.
^On point. A study of the languages and customs supports this view. Most of the tribes that straddle the Lower Niger are linguistically related.
Re: Do You Agree With Bbc's Analysis Of Nigeria's Health, Wealth And Population? by omoalaro: 2:21pm On Apr 05, 2011
I disagree with the literacy rate in the north. Literacy simply means ability to read and write. It does not mean ability to read and write in English. I believe the northerners are able to read and write more in Arabic than in English and are therefore literate. If we choose to measure literacy using the ability to read and write in English only, then all chinese, japanese, arabs, Russians are illiterates.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Obasanjo, Toyin Saraki, Elumelu & Wale Tinubu At Business Council In USA (Pics) / Refineries Produced No Petrol In Past Eight Months – NNPC / Ayo Adebanjo: APC Paying Tinubu Back For Betraying Afenifere Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.