Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,012 members, 7,828,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Undetected Sickle Celler - Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Undetected Sickle Celler (72308 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Advice Concerning : Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Franklyspeakin: 9:23am On Jan 31, 2021
She hid result for 6 months and you no suspect anything. Anyway I'm happy for you.
Zico5:
That's why God is the ultimate in life. I can't call this error but just pure hands of God to show that he is the omnipotent. I married 12 years ago. I knew that I am AS but did not even bother to ask my wife for good 3 years. I was really afraid when she told me she is AS and she is ready to go along with me despite knowing I'm also AS. I wish to back off but my relatives and my pastor encourage me to go ahead. Upon advice and counter advice we eventually married. The first few years were really tense especially when I gave birth to my daughter. If u are of little faith please don't do it o. A little cold like this can lead to hypertension. I promise God that if the second child is a boy I won't give birth again. Thank God he is a boy. The boy was sick last year and my wife secretly did their genotype without telling me. I was really afraid cos she kept the results for six months. I instantly asked her to bring it "Eekan lomokurin nku". Though I have no fear about the first daughter because she is already 10 and in JSS 2 class but I'm afraid for the boy. Low and behold I opened it. They are both AA to God glory. Well, my advice is that don't try it if ur faith can carry it. But I think some situation is better left to God to handle. Error can happen here and there. As well, what will u do if ur child is deaf and dumb. May God almighty guide us right.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 9:27am On Jan 31, 2021
Malawian:

I have this disorder myself and I am AA. In fact, I only got to know of it after my big brother did his test after having an SS kid like your neighbour there. My brother is AA BTW and wife is AS. So I know about this thing a bit.

Let me explain further.. The moment an AA male carrier gets with an AS or SS lady, it gets activated in their kids. This thing is part of you and it will be part of your kids and their kids. The only way to beat it as a carrier is to get with AA lady ( even if she is also a carrier) in which case, the worst case scenario is having AS kids. Your kids will still have this beta thalesemia (AA or not).
I think there is a way it wipes. Read about it a few years ago. I think AA with thalesemia + AA with Thalesemia.

I'm a doctor; I understand what you are trying to say. Neither you nor your brother is down with thalassemia but can pass it on to some of your kids.

I created this thread to explain the case. https://www.nairaland.com/6391907/hemoglobin-issues#98598813

Regarding your explanation, you are getting it mixed up already. Of course, it's expected since you are not a medical person. But I'm glad your brother is smart enough not to accuse his wife of paternity fraud, given that he's the one with AA while the wife is AS.

Coming to the condition itself: Beta thalassemia and SCD are 2 distinct blood hereditary (recessive) diseases that are inherited independently. For SCD, there can be AA, AS (a carrier), and SS (manifests SCA). For beta thalassemia, one can be a non-carrier (no beta thalassemia gene), a carrier (one beta thalassemia gene, like you and your brother), diseased (2 beta thalassemia genes and manifesting moderate or severe disease)

Thus, for each to manifest, the person must have both copies of the bad gene for that disease. But in some situations, a carrier of both diseases can manifest SCA — as it's the case with the child in this index case and your brother's child too — because the beta thalassemia gene stops the production of hemoglobin.

Let me explain:
The child is AS but, at the same time, has a beta thalassemia gene on one allele (gene copy). Unfortunately, it's the same allele that contribute the A component of the HbAS combination of hemoglobin. So, the normal hemoglobin A is not adequately produced. The other allele that is not inactivated by the beta thalassemia gene produces hemoglobin S, which sickles. So, the child's blood will be full of sickled hemoglobins, and the labs would erroneously tag it SS. The problem here is using a phenotypic test to make a genotype conclusion!

Coming back to what you said about AA vs. AA knocking out beta thalassemia: As I explained earlier, the AA thing is about SCD and not about beta thalassemia. Of course, AA vs. AA can prevent an AS offspring, which invariably takes away the possibility of having the beta thalassemia gene causing an AS to manifest as an SS. However, AA vs. AA can still have a child with beta thalassemia if each of those AA individuals is a beta thalassemia carrier (each has a beta thalassemia gene) because the beta thalassemia gene is inherited independently of the SCD's A/S genes!

I hope you understand it now!
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Malawian(m): 9:33am On Jan 31, 2021
studentofTruth:

I'm a doctor; I understand what you are trying to say. Neither you nor your brother is down with thalassemia but can pass it on to some of your kids.

I created this thread to explain the case. https://www.nairaland.com/6391907/hemoglobin-issues#98598813
OK, I get you now, Infact, if not for my brother's case with his kid, I might not have known till date of such a disorder in our bloodline. The woman in question most certainly don't know if she has such disorder herself. I know she certainly has it being that she is AA as there can be no further explanations why her kid is SS unless the kid was switched at birth.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by mekuxiani(m): 9:37am On Jan 31, 2021
pragmatistm:
Good day family people. Please what can you do in this case?

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?
I did mine after marriage that thing shook my house
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by nams77: 9:40am On Jan 31, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.
Its either the lady is AS, she cheated or the baby was swapped.
Therein lies your answer OP. Follow these leads

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Kinematics: 9:45am On Jan 31, 2021
Malawian:

The woman has beta thalasemia. ask her to test for it.

Kindly educate me on how beta Thalassemia relates to sickle cell disease.

I'm confused. Because these are two different things.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Kaylet: 9:46am On Jan 31, 2021
Brilliant responses so far.

Let her returned to those seven labs and run the test again and let's hear what the result will be.

How come she believes just one test that she's AS.

Paternity test or ..

I don't have anything to say

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by johhnnie(m): 9:50am On Jan 31, 2021
Kaeboy:
Ina lilahi ! You're really a mature man, the way you handled the situation after the discovery. I will personally take any woman I will may to Laboratory for test before I marry.

You are alone Sir.

Women are manipulative in nature.

Most men decide to take a second wife after discovering that the first marriage was based on pure illusion/lies form daughters of Jezebel for selfish reasons.

I.hope and wish that when our men get to that bridge in life, the society will understand with them.

And, it's such women that scream loudest!.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ibuks20(m): 9:54am On Jan 31, 2021
na OP be the woman jare

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by wajaja: 10:02am On Jan 31, 2021
pragmatistm:

I tell you, she is a very upright person but the fault is with the inexperienced personnels in the various labs.

I need the medical persons to come and say something on this matter. I have just learned that to detect certain AS genotype used to be problematic in the laboratories. Please medical people, over to you.

It is not problematic. Just that we still depend on the old method of checking Genotype, which is using Electrophoresis tank...that method alone is problem.

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by NoToPile: 10:06am On Jan 31, 2021
etrouble:

Yes, I be AA, I come get NIN. AS and SS or SC should all worship me. Or don’t you know NIN is now Diamond in Nigeria?

Loool I was thinking the NIN you were talking about was a medical term or something grin grin

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by chiefconerstone: 10:17am On Jan 31, 2021
kai!!!!!! Just one test after her child was confirmed SS and boooom!!!!! The
Poster kept blaming the laboratories , so why does he need our opinion?
In my opinion, 7 different laboratories can't make same mistake.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by nick50(m): 10:17am On Jan 31, 2021
She should go cunsult her village oracle n appease her village people everything no be grammar time to go spiritual

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 10:19am On Jan 31, 2021
Malawian:

OK, I get you now, Infact, if not for my brother's case with his kid, I might not have known till date of such a disorder in our bloodline. The woman in question most certainly don't know if she has such disorder herself. I know she certainly has it being that she is AA as there can be no further explanations why her kid is SS unless the kid was switched at birth.

In terms of the genotype, that woman's kid is AS but is manifesting as SS because the beta thalassemia gene renders the A component of the HbAS gene inactive. So, it's only the S component that is producing hemoglobins, which are, unfortunately, sickled! In the child's blood sample, the lab scientist would see plenty sickled cells and erroneously conclude that the genotype is SS.

In other words, the error, here, is using a phenotypic test to make a conclusion on genotype!
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by obailala(m): 10:24am On Jan 31, 2021
She went out to do genotype yest 7 times? ... This reminds me of that saying that "if you keep searching, you will eventually find that thing you're looking for".....

To the crux of the matter, nobody goes out to do confirmatory genotype test 7 times; the most anyone would do is twice. She carries out the first and sees AA, then just before marriage she conducts another test just for confirmation. The only reason she's done it so many times is cos probably 5 out of those 7 times, the result was AS, so she kept going back hoping (and praying in faith) that the AS results were lab mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by obailala(m): 10:33am On Jan 31, 2021
Kaylet:
Brilliant responses so far.

Let her returned to those seven labs and run the test again and let's hear what the result will be.

How come she believes just one test that she's AS.

Paternity test or ..

I don't have anything to say
There're holes in the story; I don't think anyone would really go out to do genotype or any other med lab test 7 times, except of course, some of the results didnt give her exactly what she wanted (i.e. some must have shown AS).

The most anyone would do is twice; first one to know her genotype and second just before marriage to confirm. I think the real reason she's done it so many times is cos probably 5 out of those 7 times, the result was AS, so she kept going back hoping (and praying in faith) that the AS results were lab mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by alexola20(m): 10:41am On Jan 31, 2021

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Toneyo(m): 10:43am On Jan 31, 2021
philip0906:

Huh? What are you still doing married to such a liar? A woman who lies to you about her geneotype and never apologises when she's caught, yet you sleep on the same bed with her and eat the food she cooks? You don't love your life? undecided

Things really got messy last year. I stopped eating her food not because of the genotype issue. I dont sleep on same bed with her again nor make love to her. I said in my earlier statement, I said lots of discoveries later came up.

I have my little penthouse I stay, but do return home cause of the kids, like 2 or 3 times a week. I dont want to go into details, especially on social media.

I had to make a statement on this particular issue cause it is just like my story/experience. I almost lost that boy. You wont believe my wife refused me to take him to the hospital when he was in a serious crisis? She said it was a spiritual attack from my village.

That was the prophecy and revelation given to her in the church. It took courage, wisdom and patience to convince her to let me take him to hospital. She was so adamant and wouldn't let me take him.

Hmm, her saving grace was that she was 7 months pregnant, because I couldn't bear it anymore seeing that little innocent boy in pains. For almost 48hrs she refused to let me take him to the hospital.

God knows if it wasn't for her condition then, the devil would have used me to cause serious havoc on her, because I was already loosing my mind but due to that I'm a very patient person and do tolerate a lot.

God knows how it hurts me to see my home crumble, but for peace to reign, I had to leave home and get another place because I couldn't her nags anymore. There are to my story, but I wont go any further.

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by alexola20(m): 10:44am On Jan 31, 2021

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ajalekoko76(m): 10:46am On Jan 31, 2021
If she had the courage to do genotype test 7times with AA result where is that courage when another test was done just 1 time and gave AS?

something fishy....

I blame her village people for...

7 different labs both private and government can't make mistake if her village People do not have hand in it.

I did mine once and gives me AC and my children are AC,AA AA.

7 different labs/tests look suspicious, seems she knew she was AS before 7 different tests, and now the original result show.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by thelish(f): 11:07am On Jan 31, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

God bless u jare.
It was deceit all d way
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by thelish(f): 11:09am On Jan 31, 2021
NoToPile:

Not necessarily @ bolded she was most likely trying to be very sure she was AA ( Knowing how often these mistakes happen ) because she knows her fiancee is AS to avoid stuffs like this.

Its simple if you want to marry an AS, its common sense to confirm, confirm and reconfirm your AA status.

I married AS, but I didn't do genotype test for 7times to confirm..
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by thelish(f): 11:15am On Jan 31, 2021
Ishilove:

And you know she is upright because...? Don't be fooled by looks. Daggers are hidden in men's smiles.

I can understand and blame inexperience for 1,2, perhaps 3 tests, but 4, 5, 6 and 7? From different labs? Puhleeze! 7 different labs, 7 different lab technicians, 7 different tests, all AA. And you believe her. undecided If Nigerian labs were so bad half of us would be dead by now because of wrong test results.

U just dey commit d words from my mind..

Stop being wilfully naive.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by thelish(f): 11:16am On Jan 31, 2021
Ishilove:

And you know she is upright because...? Don't be fooled by looks. Daggers are hidden in men's smiles.

I can understand and blame inexperience for 1,2, perhaps 3 tests, but 4, 5, 6 and 7? From different labs? Puhleeze! 7 different labs, 7 different lab technicians, 7 different tests, all AA. And you believe her. undecided If Nigerian labs were so bad half of us would be dead by now because of wrong test results.

Stop being wilfully naive.

U just dey commit the words from.my mind
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 11:18am On Jan 31, 2021
Malawian:

The woman has beta thalasemia. ask her to test for it.

Thank you for this post. That's what those that really have knowledge and experience in genotype have been saying. And they said they don't really test for it in most labs.

But the self-righteous gang of nairaland will not allow us to hear word.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 11:21am On Jan 31, 2021
OneCallAway:

Are u the lady in question? cos all of these defences you're putting up just dont make any sense....inexperienced personnels in 7labs? you must be joking....i'll tell you for a fact that she knew she was AS all along. PS: I come from a household with synonymous storyline

Yes, they are inexperienced. How many of them have talked about beta thalasemia in this matter? Her case is showing that she has beta thalasemia and which is not common but most of you here will just castigate an innocent person. I am tired of you.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 11:23am On Jan 31, 2021
BigIyanga:

Nah.. she used the the 7 fake tests as Alibi to try to prove her fake innocence. She had planned from day to blame it on the labs/hospitals.
Nothing of such. And in this case, the fault is from the medical persons. Have you heard of people with beta thalasemia before? Why is it none of the hospitals never asked her to do that test? But when a rare situation like this occur what most of you here will say is negative instead of you to learn about situations in life.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by coldFLARES1(m): 11:24am On Jan 31, 2021
JovialJune:

I just did, it says 92.3% of AAs are susceptible to malaria

For blood group, O has the highest prevalence of 46%, B has 21%, so not all AAs are prone to malaria

I'm AA and B+, so I'm part of the lucky few.
More like it now. Abajo, a thousand mosquitoes feasting mercilessly on me over a 3yr period could not admit me to hospital for malaria.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by kapelvej: 11:24am On Jan 31, 2021
[quote author=pragmatistm post=98587736] Not at all. She's her child. The girl even resembles her grandmother well.[/quote I stop taking you serious when you said this. Instead of relying on evidence you're talking about resembling grand mother]
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Zico5(m): 11:24am On Jan 31, 2021
Franklyspeakin:
She hid result for 6 months and you no suspect anything. Anyway I'm happy for you.
I think that's my problem and not yours. I trust my wife to any length. You can face ur family and life please.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Alexis11: 11:25am On Jan 31, 2021
Winneygirl:

1,2,3, maybe 4 times might be considered being cautious.
But 5,6,7 times seems out of place to me.
We don't know her family history. We don't know if she has a sickle cell sibling.

Something made her jittery enough to keep running the test even after marriage.
That is the missing piece of information.
You are dangerously intelligent.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by kapelvej: 11:25am On Jan 31, 2021
Winneygirl:

There is something about the writer there is a point he is trying to prove. He is countering all reasonable suggestions

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Newly Married Lady Got Stuck In Sex With Another Man In School Caught By Husband / American Woman's Father Accepts Her Nigerian Husband Finally / My Wife Is Not Interested In Sex Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.