Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,196 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965566 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fasbio(m): 10:46am On May 21, 2012
hello every one in the house
pls i really need advise on this plan
when i was in Nigeria i did a little bit of poultry,150 day old and i with two of my boys take care of them(feeding them with grown food and tonic in there water 3x a day and no one die so later market ppl came to bought them from me after 2month from day old.

now am 31yr old and living in London for pass 10years and all my thinking is to have my own farm, now can i setup the farm in naija for my two boys that we did the 150 day old together or not since i can not move back to Nigeria now cos i have a permanent full time job in London or i should continue saving my money in the first bank as fix deposit in Nigeria

i bought a 2plot of land in Oko Afo area Badagry express road(BTW Lagos and Ogun state) and i want to start with 1000 or 2000 layers for them and i have a mentor that is current farm owner for many years of experience which promise me to monitor every thing and training those boys for me and will give them the day to day guide to follow on how to manage farm
PLS AND PLS ADVISE ON THIS MATTER MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND YOUR FAMILY
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by VULCAN(m): 11:05am On May 21, 2012
What is going on with this thread? Does it mean that out of 800,000 nairaland subscribers we don't have farmers or what? Its a shame. Poor hindsight had a setback and fnk is abroad so does it mean that nobody can take up the slack? What does it cost the farmers here to share a bit of their knowledge, experiences, success and failures. If it is politics, religion or romance thread all sorts of contributions will be made. Pls let's keep this thread alive n kicking

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fasbio(m): 11:07am On May 21, 2012
yes we need farmer to give us some informaation on how to run dis buz
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eefih(m): 12:48pm On May 21, 2012
@fnk kindly send me d documents also ifeojikutu@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by duzz: 1:54pm On May 21, 2012
Its seems that this trade have been hijack by pure stupidity about some useless research, Poultry Industry is the most research segment in meat industry and all this so called research are of no use for any upstart farmers and you guys should bear in mind that there are many poultry breed be it layer or broiler and the only through and real research is the one you get from the breed management guide manual and stop reading all this crap here. go to the link below to download through management guide that matters;
http://en.aviagen.com/broiler-breeders/
http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/managementguides/index.php?product=1
http://www.cobb-vantress.com/Publications/ManagementGuides.aspx
http://www.isapoultry.com/en/Products.aspx

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ogbongenet: 3:32pm On May 21, 2012
Quail Farming,quick Cash:

Quail farming is an uncommon farming business in Nigeria, but the few people that have embraced it are not only smiling to banks, they are also enjoying both the nutritional and health values derived from consuming it
Considering the large number of poultry farmers in Kaduna that have embraced quail farming, it is no doubt one booming farming business that is gradually taking over chicken poultry business in most parts of the north. The high rate of returns and low cost of investment as well rearing them are some of the reasons many farmers are fast resorting to quail farming. In Zaria alone, there are more than 50 farms where quail are reared and sold. The fact that the birds grow and reach maturity stage faster and lay eggs within two months, compared with the six-month maturity period of chickens for whether egg-laying or consumption, attract them to farmers who see the business as a better and more sustainable investment to explore.
From market surveys both in Zaria and Kaduna, a female quail bird sells for N500 while the male goes for between N250 and N300. Its speckled eggs go for between N20 and N25. The bird’s high nutritional and market value encourage many chicken poultry farmers to abandon the business for quail farming. The NEWS gathered that these financial and health benefits, especially the high and quick returns on investment, largely explained farmers’ rush into the business in Jos where it first started, and in Kano, Kaduna and other states in the north where it is booming now. But it is very difficult for people in the southwest who wish to go into quail farming due to the problem of getting quail chicks for starting. Good news the problem has now been solved because you can easily get it now in Ibadan. I started the business just three months ago but glory be to God I earn nothing less than 2000 Naira every day.
BENEFIT OF QUAIL FARMING
It is very easy to maintain
It is not capital intensive compare to poultry farming
High return in a very short time (quail start laying at 45 day old)
It require small space
Quail egg are now recommended in the hospital which makes a good business
Here are some additional benefits you might get from eating quail eggs.:
* acquire a strong immunity system and improve metabolism.
* contain important quantity of calcium easy to assimilate.
* help healing gastritis, ulcer.
* increase hemoglobin level, remove heavy metals, toxins from blood.
* help in the treatment of tuberculosis, asthma,.
* diabetes
* contain ovomucoid protein, used in the production of anti allergic drugs.
* help inhibit cancerous growth.
* help eliminate and remove stones from liver, kidneys and bladder.
* stimulate intellectual activity.
* may accelerate recuperation after blood stroke and help strengthen heart muscle.
* are a powerful stimulant of intimate potency. They nourish the prostrate gland with useful substances, phosphorus, proteins and vitamins and therefore help restore intimate potency.
FOR FURTHER INFO TYPE QUAIL FARMING OR BENEFIT OF QUAIL EGG ON GOOGLE.
TO START QUAIL FARMING CONTACT ME ON 08060115253 OR profindeed@yahoo.com.OR ON FACEBOOK:SENIOR AGRICULTURIST OF NIGERIA
Meet you at the top

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by willichi(m): 4:28pm On May 21, 2012
@fnk ,I will appreciate it if I can get the info also on this address investorwilliamschichi@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 8:36pm On May 22, 2012
sent, check your emails.
@VULCAN, and @fasbio, Really, I don't think it takes rocket science to become a poultry farmer. No matter how you look at it and all the info you will get, you will gain the experience as you go. From your first poultry cycle, to when you become a guru, you will keep learning and keep inventing a better way to do it. So even if the 800,000 people on Nairaland lend in their ideas and solutions, every one of use that want to go into this business will have to learn one thing or the other in the process. One thing I leaned during my first cycle was never to leave what I can do myself to someone else to do. this is what happened, I left home very early on Sunday morning leaving my wife to help turn off the lights/heat in the coop, to check the water, and to raise the tapolline that covered the sides of the coop. My wife got busy with the kids and forgot to do any of these things. The result, by 2:00pm, 13 birds that weighed 1.8kg each have died of heat exhaustion. The light was creating heat, the sun was super high, their water was gone and the tapolline kept the heat in. So imagine if the number was in the hundreds or thousands.

@ fasbio, Don't leave what you can do for someone else, who might not have the same kind of passion for it as you do. IF you do it right in Nigeria, you will make more money that you can ever make in UK. UK and U.S will be a vacation destination for you and not a place to work and hopping to survive. You can have best of both world.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pattybf(f): 1:24am On May 23, 2012
hello @fnk,
I have been nursing the idea of going in2 poultry farming.my father was in2 it bt i couldnt learn anything cos i was only a child then. So pls having gone through ur posts and that of others meaningful contributors & of course d @poster whom i greatly appreciate. I ve also made series of research online b4 now. Pls beg of u to also send me this formular u talked abt, i intend try it on few layers & broilers, then i can take it off from there.
My email is: pattybf@yahoo.com
I hope to hear from u soonest
Thanking u in anticipation
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fasbio(m): 9:46am On May 23, 2012
@fnk may GOD continue bless you and your family, more wisdom and understanding for you from GOD
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Felzzz: 7:24pm On May 23, 2012
fnk: sent, check your emails.
@VULCAN, and @fasbio, Really, I don't think it takes rocket science to become a poultry farmer. No matter how you look at it and all the info you will get, you will gain the experience as you go. From your first poultry cycle, to when you become a guru, you will keep learning and keep inventing a better way to do it. So even if the 800,000 people on Nairaland lend in their ideas and solutions, every one of use that want to go into this business will have to learn one thing or the other in the process. One thing I leaned during my first cycle was never to leave what I can do myself to someone else to do. this is what happened, I left home very early on Sunday morning leaving my wife to help turn off the lights/heat in the coop, to check the water, and to raise the tapolline that covered the sides of the coop. My wife got busy with the kids and forgot to do any of these things. The result, by 2:00pm, 13 birds that weighed 1.8kg each have died of heat exhaustion. The light was creating heat, the sun was super high, their water was gone and the tapolline kept the heat in. So imagine if the number was in the hundreds or thousands.

@ fasbio, Don't leave what you can do for someone else, who might not have the same kind of passion for it as you do. IF you do it right in Nigeria, you will make more money that you can ever make in UK. UK and U.S will be a vacation destination for you and not a place to work and hopping to survive. You can have best of both world.

pls can you send to me the report you have been sending to others. My mail is ifeoracle@gmail.com. Thanks. Can I start with 200 birds?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Felzzz: 7:25pm On May 23, 2012
fnk: sent, check your emails.

pls can you send to me the report you have been sending to others. My mail is ifeoracle@gmail.com. Thanks. Can I start with 200 birds?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:40pm On May 23, 2012
@Patty, I have sent you the I sent to everyone that ask of it. The formular for the V-mix is not available at the moment. I am back in the U.S and hopping to come back home soon.
With your background, I think you have a good head start in this industry than most of us. Give it your attention and you will be successful.
Guys, remember, the hard work is in the beginning, once you established your poultry, i.e; have the right source where you buy your day olds, where you buy the feeds and your sales outlet. Once you have all these set up, it could be by your 3rd, 4th, or 5th cycle, you would have taken care of the hard part of getting into the poultry industry, you would have learned the ropes and paid your due. And of course, you will have some helpers in the farm that will help out with everything and at the same time learning from you, so that they can take care of the farm when you are on vacation.

@Felzzz, The attached file is in excel format, so you can play with the numbers to adjust to the number of birds you are planing to raise and come up with the cost.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kayoba: 12:37am On May 24, 2012
fnk: @Patty, I have sent you the I sent to everyone that ask of it. The formular for the V-mix is not available at the moment. I am back in the U.S and hopping to come back home soon.
With your background, I think you have a good head start in this industry than most of us. Give it your attention and you will be successful.
Guys, remember, the hard work is in the beginning, once you established your poultry, i.e; have the right source where you buy your day olds, where you buy the feeds and your sales outlet. Once you have all these set up, it could be by your 3rd, 4th, or 5th cycle, you would have taken care of the hard part of getting into the poultry industry, you would have learned the ropes and paid your due. And of course, you will have some helpers in the farm that will help out with everything and at the same time learning from you, so that they can take care of the farm when you are on vacation.
@fnk,hi pls am I need of doc too.God bless you.my email add-kayboy2002kg@yahoo.co.uk.tnx alot
@Felzzz, The attached file is in excel format, so you can play with the numbers to adjust to the number of birds you are planing to raise and come up with the cost.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:48am On May 24, 2012
@kayoba, I forwarded you the info and it can back. I sent it to add-kayboy2002kg@yahoo.co.uk
I have sent it again to kayboy2002kg@yahoo.co.uk. hope this one work. but if not, send me your email again.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kayoba: 11:34am On May 24, 2012
@fnks.tnx a lot,av seen d attached doc.u re blessed
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by VULCAN(m): 4:53pm On May 24, 2012
@fnk, u r right but the disaster stories are more than the successes methinks. Hindsight who is the OP being one eg. I don't see why those who have gone ahead can't drop tips and tricks here based on their own individual experiences. I wonder how come hindsight who had a consultant still had such a bad experience although I have never believed in "consultants" who don't practice what they preach anyway.

Its strange that you who r not practicing are the one assisting peeps on the forum. If not for you this thread would have died a long time ago

Anyway, From what i gather it appears it is very risky to start a poultry farm unless one lives on site or at the worst 10mins away

Fnk pls resend the report to dondada@mailinator.com. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ade101(m): 8:46pm On May 24, 2012
VULCAN: @fnk, u r right but the disaster stories are more than the successes methinks. Hindsight who is the OP being one eg. I don't see why those who have gone ahead can't drop tips and tricks here based on their own individual experiences. I wonder how come hindsight who had a consultant still had such a bad experience although I have never believed in "consultants" who don't practice what they preach anyway.

Its strange that you who r not practicing are the one assisting peeps on the forum. If not for you this thread would have died a long time ago

Anyway, From what i gather it appears it is very risky to start a poultry farm unless one lives on site or at the worst 10mins away

Fnk pls resend the report to dondada@mailinator.com. Thanks

couldn't agree more.I started following this thread when an ambitious lady started it,she continuous updating us until something went wrong,then some else took over and started telling us about his progress as well until GOD knows what happen,he is yet to say a thing.As much as i love to start this business soon,i am still feeling reluctant.MAY GOD HELP US.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:27am On May 25, 2012
@VULCAN, and @Ade101,

What happened to Hindsight? I must have missed the section on any mishap.

Well my take is this, nothing good comes easy. Living here in the U.S you run into a lot of Nigerians that want to come back to Nigeria but are so afraid of the unknown. Nigeria remains a land of opportunity because of it's present crazy situation. If you know me you will understand what I am talking about, I left Nigeria in 1992, the first time I came back was in 2006 to set up a business. Boy, did I learn a lot from the experience. I built a business that grossed over 5 million USD within 2 years. The economy melt down took a hit on my company the exchange rate was killing and eventually the corporate in U.S closed down 12 markets worldwide, and my market in Nigeria was hit. It was though, I had brought my family down with me, things got difficult before we decided for the kids sake to move them back up here. I have an MBA from school here in the U.S, but nothing would have prepare me for the lesson I learned living in Nigeria those 3 years or so. I don't mean it in a bad way. Now I see what most people in Nigeria probably don't see, in terms of opportunity. Know now that out of the challenges, there are still a boat load of opportunities, but you have to pay your dues. I am up here now and just can't wait to get back on ground without care of the difficulty. Understand the fact that there must need be an opposition to all things, just how you manager the outcome its what is important.

So, let us not look at the mishap of others and deprive ourselves of the opportunity to be successful. Now think about how much can you afford to loose, and start from there. From my calculation, you can raise 25 day old birds to about 2.5kg with less than N20K. Within 7 weeks. If you succeed with that, you can increase your stock the next cycle, and from there you will learn what works and what doesn't.
The truth is that in the beinging, you can't leave it for someone else to run for you. You need to be there, close watch, taking notes and making corrections. Don't forget what being successful in this industry means. Just imagine a 2.5kg broiler that cost you about N600 or less to raise, turning around and selling it for about N750/kg that is about N1,875. That is a potential profit of about N1,125/bird. Now multiple that by the number of birds that you succeed in raising in a given cycle.

So, guys grab the bull by the horn and let ride it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by smsmoney(m): 5:01am On May 25, 2012
Thanks for all the info and update
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kollydeb(m): 9:16am On May 25, 2012
@fnk,pls send the docs kolade_kehinde@yahoo.ca. thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:11pm On May 25, 2012
@kollydeb. Sent. Let me know.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pattybf(f): 5:48pm On May 25, 2012
hello @fnk, i got d doc, thanks so much. Pls keep me posted on any other info u might ve, i will greatly appreciate it.

Like u adviced i shall start wt few birds n increase as i progress. Thanks again
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 2:26am On May 26, 2012
@pattybf, That is the idea. I am glad that you got the doc. Good luck. Let us know here about your progress.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by zeestone99(m): 8:38pm On May 26, 2012
buy your inverters/ups and batteries at affordable rates 4rm delobs electronics.....also inverters installation n load seperatn.....just call or sms 2348184171193 for more info
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by dasparrow: 5:47am On May 27, 2012
fnk: @pattybf, That is the idea. I am glad that you got the doc. Good luck. Let us know here about your progress.

I also requested for the emailed info on page 14 of this thread. I will assume you did not see my request. Please kindly send me a copy to dasparrow1@yahoo.com I won't bother you with my request again if you choose not to send. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ade101(m): 8:41am On May 27, 2012
@FNK all the way, thanks a lot for your support. I will also start small and grow from there ,like you advised.Will definitely start with about 50 broilers ,though i really prefer layer but for now,i will do like 3 rounds of successful broiler production before investing in layers because of layers management which is tougher compared to broiler.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 12:33pm On May 27, 2012
I am planing to raise about 150 cockerel.I know they take time to grow.I also tink dey r safer than the broilers.I need any info on how to boost. There growth
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:15am On May 28, 2012
@desparrow, please if I missed out your email, forgive me. Or check your junk mail. I have just sent it now. @ade010, that is the spirit, start and please let us know.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by VULCAN(m): 2:11pm On May 28, 2012
@fnk pls I'm still waiting. dondada@mailinator.com. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:17pm On May 28, 2012
@valcan, check your junk mail. I did sent it to you as your requested.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by seewaycleaning: 6:47pm On May 28, 2012
fnk
my email is segunsam2002@yahoo.co.uk

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.