Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,456 members, 7,850,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:05 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (969713 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ogosime: 2:16am On Dec 31, 2012
it wasnt easy, sat down for three hour reading thing thread. kudos guy

and a big gbosa for basking, guy u too much, its not easy.

i pray i should be successful like u when i will start mine.

thank to everyone keeping the post alive.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Zamzamiu: 11:21am On Dec 31, 2012
This is a very useful thread. How I wish we could hear from Hindsight who started the thread.
Who knows, some of us may have one or two ideas to share with her. Basking4me has held the fort
very well. I wish you more success with your feed mill project.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Ib10001: 4:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
@fnk pls kindly send me the report,my e-mail is olasalty@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 1:14am On Jan 01, 2013
Happy new Year to everyone on this thread and indeed the entire Nairaland Forum.

This new year will bring us very good yields and returns in our poultry farm business.

Wishing everyone the best in the new year.

Basking4me

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 12:32pm On Jan 01, 2013
basking4me: Happy new Year to everyone on this thread and indeed the entire Nairaland Forum.

This new year will bring us very good yields and returns in our poultry farm business.

Basking4me
same to you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:45pm On Jan 01, 2013
basking4me: Happy new Year to everyone on this thread and indeed the entire Nairaland Forum.

Basking4me

Amen ooooo
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by cordj2: 9:11pm On Jan 01, 2013
@ jites please send me the report raymond25th@yahoo.com
Wishing everyone especially those that shared quality information on this thread a blessed new year
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by steel5800(m): 10:33pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ameen basking4me. Wish you same.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limeone(m): 2:35am On Jan 02, 2013

Basking4me

Wishing you a happy and rewarding year ahead Basking4me and all poultry enthusiasts.
Lets keep the thread going. I hope to share my experience so far soon.
Now on 18th week of rearing 5000 layers. Mortality so far is 213. Moved 3600 into cages in the pen house and the rest in the brooder house.
This is my third time of asking. Problems with staffs in the past due to lack of experience and now the farm is being handled by two graduates employed and assisted by two attendants. I have learnt so much from your write-ups and hope to visit Baskin4me's farm since my farm is at wasimi in abeoukuta.
My advice is whatever you do, please seek professional help otherwise you will lose money and hopes will be dashed!
I agree that when you go into the business, and have upto 1000 layers, you should aspire to make your own feedmill as suggested on this thread.This business involves a lot of capital. I have my own feedmill now hence I purchase maize in large quantities to mix with concentrates as well as wheat offal. This process saves a bit on feeds and its richer in quality. I shall download in time some pictures.
Those girls do eat alot and now we on 18.5 bags of grower feeds per day.
Goodluck to all up and coming poultry farmers.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:17pm On Jan 02, 2013
Ib10001: @fnk pls kindly send me the report,my e-mail is olasalty@yahoo.co.uk

Done. Good Luck in this new year.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adebaxton(m): 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2013
v
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 9:38am On Jan 03, 2013
@jites.

Thank you for the material.I'm extremely grateful .I'm absolutely convinced that 2013 is our year of great breakthroughs in our health,farms,finances and homes.Thank you my brother.I look forward to a day when all poultry enthusiats on Nairaland will organise a simple get together in any of our members farm to see and crystallize this oneness of purpose.We will provide the protein needs of this great nation by God's grace

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Theyjih: 9:47am On Jan 03, 2013
staffs aren't smiling oh! screaming for wage increase! in as much as it wld b considered, hw soon shld wage be increased? angry angry
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kollydeb(m): 10:19am On Jan 03, 2013
happy new year all. pls send to kolade_kehinde@yahoo.ca , thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 10:41am On Jan 04, 2013
Limestone, I am highly impressed and encouraged by your farm size. I will like to compare notes with you regarding construction works and feeding for your 5000birds. We are currently working to move to a bigger space that can house up to 5000layers and 10000 broilers, a small farm house and a feedstore.

thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:40pm On Jan 04, 2013
Limeone:

Wishing you a happy and rewarding year ahead Basking4me and all poultry enthusiasts.
Lets keep the thread going. I hope to share my experience so far soon.
Now on 18th week of rearing 5000 layers. Mortality so far is 213. Moved 3600 into cages in the pen house and the rest in the brooder house.
This is my third time of asking. Problems with staffs in the past due to lack of experience and now the farm is being handled by two graduates employed and assisted by two attendants. I have learnt so much from your write-ups and hope to visit Baskin4me's farm since my farm is at wasimi in abeoukuta.
My advice is whatever you do, please seek professional help otherwise you will lose money and hopes will be dashed!
I agree that when you go into the business, and have upto 1000 layers, you should aspire to make your own feedmill as suggested on this thread.This business involves a lot of capital. I have my own feedmill now hence I purchase maize in large quantities to mix with concentrates as well as wheat offal. This process saves a bit on feeds and its richer in quality. I shall download in time some pictures.
Those girls do eat alot and now we on 18.5 bags of grower feeds per day.
Goodluck to all up and coming poultry farmers.

@Limeone, wow! thanks for your contribution to this thread, i think apart from a couple of people we dont have a lot of people who have in excess of 1000 birds thats why its so nice to hear from people like you who currently have above the 1000 capacity so you can share your experience including costing. Because to be honest everyone who is into poultry farming proper and are looking to make it their primary source of income must aspire to owe more than 1000 capacity farm.

I am in a trial period with 250 birds and so far its been up and down with mortality of 5 birds, 3 over december and was told by the vet that the change of weather is the likely cause, but we are learning and gaining experience as much as we can, we do have a standby Vet who gives us advice from time to time. Some of my challenges so far are
1- the maximum crates of eggs i have had so far is 6 crates, and at times getting between 4 and 5 giving us roughly between 60-75 yield. Mind you they started laying around June last year so thats more than 6 months now
2- The sizes of the eggs, although they have started to pick up, for the first 3 months they were really small forcing us to drop the price a little bit for our buyers

We just bought a plot land for our next cycle in June or thereabout, i am hoping to start with like 500 birds and possibly increase it to 1000 at a later stage, i have the feasibilty report for 1000bird which i bought and have also made available to others here on NL, however, sometimes you need to really see a sample of existing farm and speak to existing owners to get a better understanding.
So, Limeone and Basking4me i was wondering if it would be possible to arrange at some point in the year for my manager to pay a visit to your farms to see in reality what owning 5000 capacity is like and also have the opportunity to speak to you so you can give him some advice on the practicality of running a 5000 capacity farm. I would be most grateful if you can my email is jites_uk@yahoo.co.uk have a prosperous new year.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limeone(m): 4:03pm On Jan 04, 2013
basking4me: Limestone, I am highly impressed and encouraged by your farm size. I will like to compare notes with you regarding construction works and feeding for your 5000birds. We are currently working to move to a bigger space that can house up to 5000layers and 10000 broilers, a small farm house and a feedstore.

thanks
@Baskin4me,@jites
Thank you all for the compliments and i am impressed with your work too so far.
Note compare:
Spent almost 2m on the pen house construction Feb2010. the roof is slates. local cages made by some guy in oyo state. i have so far spent 1.5m. we can house 5,000 birds in the pen.I have to spend additional 500k to complete the cages and need recommendation from Basking. You earlier mentioned you have a link.
I have a farm house now that also housed the feedmill built middle of last year.its being slow and steady due to money
I am very keen on broilers this year but i am a bit concerned about the marketing aspect of it before I dive into it.
5000 Layers from Zartech cost 700k in august of last year and got delivery sept 6th.However, i have not kept accurate figures on the amount spent seperately.so far i have spent 3.6m and counting. we are still on 18th week. We get bulk of maize , but wheat offal and concentrates not yet in bulk supply. Am working on that to reduce cost. however over the last 3 years,all my profits have gone back into the business. I have 200 cockerels for sale come easter which we started breeding on the 6th of sept as well. @ Jites, I have sent you a mail and my email is olayinka11@hotmail.com
Hope i have answered some of your questions? Thanks alot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lekank: 4:34pm On Jan 04, 2013
Wonderful trend... knowledge is power... am going into poultry with 300 layers and 50 boilers! in a rush now..but will sit down and read the whole of this trend...

am also bookmarking it..just in case...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by makinde3: 4:53pm On Jan 04, 2013
@limeone could you please tell us the dimension of the pen house constructed for 5000 layers in meters

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 5:57pm On Jan 04, 2013
@Limeone.
Your story about your farm is really inspiring. I would have loved to send you a mail to ask some questions. However, let me make the question open for benefit of other NL members.

1. How many plots of land is your farm occupying?

2. How far can N1.2 million take me in setting up a 600 birds layers farm using one plot of land? I can get a plot of land for about N400k in my environs (Sango Ota). Or, can half plot accommodate 600 birds?

3. I'm presently constructing a demonstration pen inside my compound to house 200 layers that I have already ordered. Delivery is mid-january.

4. My Vet has offered to help me brood them for 8 weeks at his farm before moving them to my place. How much feed are they likely to consume in 8 weeks?

5. Is it advisable to combine poultry and catfish farming on one plot of land? Any negative implications?

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 5:59pm On Jan 04, 2013
Limeone:
@Baskin4me,@jites
Note compare:
Spent almost 2m on the pen house construction Feb2010. the roof is slates. local cages made by some guy in oyo state. i have so far spent 1.5m. we can house 5,000 birds in the pen.I have to spend additional 500k to complete the cages and need recommendation from Basking. You earlier mentioned you have a link.
I have a farm house now that also housed the feedmill built middle of last year.its being slow and steady due to money
I am very keen on broilers this year but i am a bit concerned about the marketing aspect of it before I dive into it.
5000 Layers from Zartech cost 700k in august of last year and got delivery sept 6th.However, i have not kept accurate figures on the amount spent seperately.so far i have spent 3.6m and counting. we are still on 18th week. We get bulk of maize , but wheat offal and concentrates not yet in bulk supply. Am working on that to reduce cost. however over the last 3 years,all my profits have gone back into the business. I have 200 cockerels for sale come easter which we started breeding on the 6th of sept as well. @ Jites, I have sent you a mail and my email is olayinka11@hotmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limeone(m): 6:39pm On Jan 04, 2013
Marco-P :
@Limeone.
Your story about your farm is really inspiring. I would have loved to send you a mail to ask some questions. However, let me make the question open for benefit of other NL members.

1. How many plots of land is your farm occupying?

2. How far can N1.2 million take me in setting up a 600 birds layers farm using one plot of land? I can get a plot of land for about N400k in my environs (Sango Ota). Or, can half plot accommodate 600 birds?

3. I'm presently constructing a demonstration pen inside my compound to house 200 layers that I have already ordered. Delivery is mid-january.

4. My Vet has offered to help me brood them for 8 weeks at his farm before moving them to my place. How much feed are they likely to consume in 8 weeks?

5. Is it advisable to combine poultry and catfish farming on one plot of land? Any negative implications?

Thanks.
@ Marco, I am not very technical interms of land measurements but I think I am using now about an acre. my total size is 5 acres.
I have a brooder house big enough for 5000 chickens as well.
Your second question will be determined on :
do you intend to cage or free range?, if caging,for 600 brids,you'll be spending roughly 250k on cages local made. Add that to the amount you earmarked for land purchase. Half a plot is certainly ok for 600 birds. You need clean water, a brooder house before they are moved into cages in the pen house.
Am not an expert.An expert can help you to manage the funds available.
Question 4
A farm manager can definitely give you analysis for feeds consumption over a period of weeks or to point of lay.
However, you cannot determine cost accurately because prices of feeds constantly change but you can have a guideline and please make sure you give vaccination in timely manner.from day 1 to 19 weeks is very important as the birds will need to develop well and prepare them for laying. BIOSECURITY must be taken seriously!!
Question 5
Yes there is nothing stopping you from combining poultry and fishery.
Hope i have managed to answer some of your questions.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 7:30pm On Jan 04, 2013
Theyjih: staffs aren't smiling oh! screaming for wage increase! in as much as it wld b considered, hw soon shld wage be increased? angry angry
i will advice you increase wages/salary after 6months to 1yr as this will help to solve one of the major problem of poultry ''THEFT''

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2013
BasseyJ:
dude put up whatever info you have here, we have great and competent farmers helping people out on this thread, try and do the same. Also, i'll love to have any report on poultry farming, wanna set up a farm, already thought of pig farming, but i'm thinking poultry is also good. Thanks, here's my mail...johnebassey@gmail.com. Would also love reports on pig farming if anyone has any. Thanks
thanks for that. i shall see to it
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kayo12: 11:08pm On Jan 04, 2013
fnk: @willlexxx, yes you can send me your email. It will be 3 docs one is couple of them are in excel form so you can manipulate the numbers to fit the # of birds you want to raise and also the prices of some of the things you will need as I am sure them must have changed. The third doc is a compilation of my result. Remember, on this tread I have read from those who you can call guru in this industry, What I am sending you is my research and the result, it is not intended to be portrayed as the standard for poultry farming. Non the less, it was a well done job, because I personally managed it. Good luck.

hi, hop u're bak and tested d solution on a larger scale. pls send m d report and solution- beulah2010sonid@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:55am On Jan 05, 2013
cordj2: @ jites please send me the report raymond25th@yahoo.com
Wishing everyone especially those that shared quality information on this thread a blessed new year
@ Cordj2 you got mail, report sent. all the best
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:58am On Jan 05, 2013
Limeone:
@Baskin4me,@jites
Note compare:

@ Limeone, received your mail, thanks, will keep in touch. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by phecs: 6:49am On Jan 05, 2013
This what bizness is suppose to be like.nt all dis online scam!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 7:14am On Jan 05, 2013
Abeg where is basking,hingsight and odas that startd ds forum? Does it mean they are now millionaire and couldn't relate wif us anymore or they are strugglin it out wif their poultry biz.......... You guys startd a good job here,it ll b nice if u can continue. Jites,fnk and odas,I hail u guys.kip it up. Best of luck to us all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 7:16am On Jan 05, 2013
Abeg where is basking,hingsight and odas that startd ds forum? Does it mean they are now millionaire and couldn't relate wif us anymore or they are strugglin it out wif their poultry biz.......... You guys startd a good job here,it ll b nice if u can continue. Jites,fnk and odas,I hail u guys.pls stop sndin doc to anybody,it seems pple jes come here to request for doc without any meaningful contribution.Best of luck to us all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 8:55am On Jan 05, 2013
latestsunny: Abeg where is basking,hingsight and odas that startd ds forum? Does it mean they are now millionaire and couldn't relate wif us anymore or they are strugglin it out wif their poultry biz.......... You guys startd a good job here,it ll b nice if u can continue. Jites,fnk and odas,I hail u guys.pls stop sndin doc to anybody,it seems pple jes come here to request for doc without any meaningful contribution.Best of luck to us all
Basking4me is back na, it's hindsight we haven't heard from since. I think we also need some photographs to spice the thread up like at the begining
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 9:08am On Jan 05, 2013
jites:
Basking4me is back na, it's hindsight we haven't heard from since. I think we also need some photographs to spice the thread up like at the begining

Tink I buy d idea...........cos d thread is becomin sumtin else ooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.