Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,466 members, 7,830,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (967079 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2013
@ ussyman you can send the pictures to jites_uk@yahoo.co.uk and i can help upload it. regards
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:04am On Feb 23, 2013
ussyman: @Jides, and Makinde3, see the pictures

@Steel5800, my email is nabaruma@yahoo.com and I would be happy if we can share our experiences. Our farm is around Darmanawa area close to Hassan Gwarzo Sec School. You are always welcom.

@Marco-P: our farm size is 1200sq feets; We had 2 course of block work and the placed the net on top as u can see (around 220 blocks)

Always multiply the value of 1,060 (and might reach 1,200 because it depends on so many factors) by the number of your birds. That should be the cost to raise a single bird to the point-of-lay. You can also use the 7.2KG (up to 20th week)to calculate just the feed to the point of lay per each bird. But notes that these values may varies depending on the so many factors.
See my reply above for the cost to raise them up to 6 weeks.

For 514 birds we bought a total of 20 bags of feeds to 6th weeks. For the first 6th weeks each bird would consume 1.314KG (max) of feeds. Use that to calculate for 210.

We are running a Depp Litter system for now just for the sake of experience. You would get to see the store when I upload the pic. The cost was around 40K-50K (Inclusive of attendent room).

This is how we arried at N1,060 per bird: feeds + medication + labour + transport (operational costs)+ 10% fixed cost. The fixed is the cost of building and materials needed by the birds.

Lets try to communicate via the forum instead of email so as to keep the information for others.

I tried to upload the pictures but had some challenges (timed out error). Can some1 help please?

THANKS

@ Ussyman, as promise these are your pictures you sent me, they were too large so had to resize them. So everyone enjoyn the pictures Ussyman has kindly agreed to share with us all.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 1:05am On Feb 23, 2013
moreeeeee pictures from Ussyman, Thanks Ussyman for sharing these lovely pictures with us.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eddyhaze(m): 10:19am On Feb 23, 2013
cheesy this is really clean workmanship! I wish you all the best bro! Thanks for sharing.. God bless u.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by makinde3: 10:50am On Feb 23, 2013
Thanks for the pictures they are 9s and i wish u all th in best.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2013
@ussyman, what is the cost of this pen
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sp2002(m): 11:05pm On Feb 24, 2013
@ussyman. i can see you are using VITAL FEED which is one of the best feed in nigeria. but why are you keeping them on the floor? anyway it is not hygienic .
SP2002 POULTRY AND LAND CONSULTANCY
TJ.SP2002@GMAIL.COM
WWW.SP2002.GNBO.COM.NG
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ussyman: 8:28am On Feb 25, 2013
miqos02: @ussyman, what is the cost of this pen

Around 300K-350K (including the store). Its 1200sq feets in size.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ussyman: 8:30am On Feb 25, 2013
sp2002: @ussyman. i can see you are using VITAL FEED which is one of the best feed in nigeria. but why are you keeping them on the floor? anyway it is not hygienic .
SP2002 POULTRY AND LAND CONSULTANCY
TJ.SP2002@GMAIL.COM
WWW.SP2002.GNBO.COM.NG

Its not the feeds. We normally keep it inside.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by desb(m): 11:21am On Feb 27, 2013
it a great bizness i ur courage good work
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 3:31pm On Feb 27, 2013
Dear All pls what is the best and economical source of heating brooders pen.I used charcoal but I think its risky doing that,any alternative ?I will appreciate contribution from everybody thanks in advance.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ussyman: 10:39am On Feb 28, 2013
obnelly: Dear All pls what is the best and economical source of heating brooders pen.I used charcoal but I think its risky doing that,any alternative ?I will appreciate contribution from everybody thanks in advance.

Initially we tried burning charcoal (ensure you raise the charcoal pot or cover it's base so that the chicken doesn't get burnt) but later we realized it cool off far too easily. Your best bet is to use electric bulbs (may be 100w) and bring the bulbs down as low as possible to heat the day-olds. You can check the picture of our brooding room posted by jites.

Also ensure that you have a room thermometer (its cheap) to monitor the temperature on daily basis for the 1st few weeks. The temp is normally 35 degrees in the 1st week to 23 degree in the 5th week. The room need to be well covered to have a controlled temperature.

Wish you the very best.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 7:58am On Mar 01, 2013
Is there anyone out there rearing broilers? I need a reminder on d gumboro and lasota vaccination schedule. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 11:32am On Mar 07, 2013
Please how many months does it take for a day old Broilers to mature and ready for sale to the market.and at what is the market price now? tnx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by makinde3: 12:05pm On Mar 07, 2013
it takes six weeks or 42 days
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kaybest1: 1:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
Good day house, pleas any one with information on those that buy broilers for processing. Be it the company direct link or the suppliers. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 10:06pm On Mar 07, 2013
makinde3: it takes six weeks or 42 days

6weeks? tnx. am new, i intend to start with atleast 50 day old broillers this will enable me perfect the poultry processes and know the look holes before venturing into it fully. Please does anyone have the feeding cost to rare broiller from a day old to selling point? pls
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 8:11pm On Mar 08, 2013
akonucheinfo:

6weeks? tnx. am new, i intend to start with atleast 50 day old broillers this will enable me perfect the poultry processes and know the look holes before venturing into it fully. Please does anyone have the feeding cost to rare broiller from a day old to selling point? pls

I will advise you involve a reliable Vet doctor from day one go. Starting from evaluation of your small backyard farm location/construction, ordering day old chicks, vaccination, feeding and brooding guidelines, you will need a Vet.
My 202 chicks are 5 days old today, they are doing very well, all thanks to my Vet for his guidance.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 10:37pm On Mar 08, 2013
Marco-P :

I will advise you involve a reliable Vet doctor from day one go. Starting from evaluation of your small backyard farm location/construction, ordering day old chicks, vaccination, feeding and brooding guidelines, you will need a Vet.
My 202 chicks are 5 days old today, they are doing very well, all thanks to my Vet for his guidance.

tnx, glad to your birds are doing well. vet doctor?? thats for sure. but considering the fact that i want to start with just 50 day old broillers, i wonder how much my overall cost will be if implore the service of a vet. pls throw some light, so i can know what am up against.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 09, 2013
Our reputable financial institution lends to agric investors and farmers alike to boost their production. However, we do not lend to start-ups. My contact is 08063896204

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by didisky(m): 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2013
i want to say a big thank you to the OP. I was inspired by this post to start and i started two weeks ago. in my test run,i bought 30 broilers and 20 cockrels and so far they are doing well. I started with a small cage with dimensions of 5ft by 4ft by 2ft with 3layers. will upload pix maybe tomorrow
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 1:51pm On Mar 11, 2013
Dear Poultry farming enthusaists,

I am glad to inform you that I have built my poultry house at home and it is slightly bigger than the one posted by ussyman.I am having seriuos challenges in getting my day old or point of lay as the case may be as all major farms have been completely booked till July.I need help and my farm is in Benin city.

Please, let us keep the flag flying.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Egomah(m): 12:14am On Mar 12, 2013
Since you are in Benin city, have you checked zartec at sapele road, near Santana market? Just give it a try. Wish you all the best
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 10:57am On Mar 12, 2013
@egomah Thank you for your suggestion.I appreciate....
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MrNigeria2(m): 11:02am On Mar 12, 2013
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INTENDING AND PRACTISING POULTRY FARMERS
How to be Successful in Poultry Business
Stock to Raise:

The following could be used as a guide in selecting the foundation stock to raise:
Stock should only be purchased from a reliable hatchery or franchised dealer where the parent stocks are well- housed and well-managed.

The kind of stock to buy depends upon the purpose for which it is going to be raised.
Chicks should be free from diseases and deformities. Chicks should have uniform size andcolour.
For broiler chicks, weight should not be less than 33 grams at day-old.
For a start, a popular strain raised in the community can be selected as it is an indication of the bird’s good performance under existing farm conditions.
For broilers, choose those that have high liveability and fast growers. For layers, choose those that have good egg size, high egg production and long, productive life.

Housing Management
Feeding troughs or feeders:
Feeders can be placed inside or along the front of cages. When making feeders, consider the ease in cleaning and avoid feed spillage. This may be avoided by placing a metal or wooden strip along the inner mouth of the feed trough.

Watering troughs or Waterers:
To facilitate cleaning, the shape and size of the waterers should be semi- circular, fairly wide and supported by an adjustable bracket to allow easier adjustment. It may have a removal stopper at the end of the drainage for easier cleaning. For chicks, the waterers are usually one gallon plastic jars. The most common are the plastic waterers because they do not rust therefore, they will last longer.

COURTESY
http://agricbusinessng..com/
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kunlej2: 11:50am On Mar 12, 2013
laposta: Is there anyone out there rearing broilers? I need a reminder on d gumboro and lasota vaccination schedule. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

for broilers.
gumboro 8days
lasota 15days
2nd dose gumboro 21days
2nd dose lasota 27days

i hope you are satisfied with this?

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ogunsam75(m): 3:06pm On Mar 12, 2013
@ all, I need farms where I can buy eggs in large quantity at affordable rate within Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo and ekiti state. If you have any or any contacts plz kindly mail me on sammy751025@yahoo.com or 07080443680. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kaybest1: 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2013
please house anyone with information on poultry processing companies.
i mean those that buy large number of broilers for processing into frozen stock
thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 11:52am On Mar 13, 2013
omotititi: Dear Poultry farming enthusaists,

I am glad to inform you that I have built my poultry house at home and it is slightly bigger than the one posted by ussyman.I am having seriuos challenges in getting my day old or point of lay as the case may be as all major farms have been completely booked till July.I need help and my farm is in Benin city.

Please, let us keep the flag flying.

@ Omotititi:
Congratulations on your achievement so far.
It is true that Zartech is fully booked till July. This is not surprising, because their DOC are reputed to be among d best in Nigeria. I will advise you to be patient and wait.
I only received my 200 DOC I booked with them since December 2012 just recently, 4th March 2013.
Although my Vet contributed to d delay as he didn't go to collect them in d last week of Jan when he was asked to come.
My chicks are in their 2nd week and doing well with 0% mortality.
I will appreciate if u can share with us d dimension of ur farm, capacity and cost of construction. I need d info because I plan expanding from my backyard farm to a bigger project soon.
Find attached photos of my birds and farm.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 6:45pm On Mar 13, 2013
Marco-p.....:Thank you so much for the encouragement.I am impressed.i will get the dimension and give you the details.As per cost of construction,i have spent about 330k plus from the beginning to the stage the farm is now.The Vet said the farm under deep litter system can accomodate about 500-600 and with cages,it should take more say 900 and above.

My ultimate goal is to use this structure as a brooding house because it is in my compound where most of the conditions for effective brooding are readily available and I have bought two plots of land 100 BY 200 in a community on your way to NIFOR that I will use for the big farm when i am ready.I am looking forward to when i will stock the first 500 DOCs or Point of lay.

My friend who started with 500 DOCs last year now rakes 14 crates of eggs everyday and each time i assist him on his farm ,i get more convinced that this is what i should do too and quickly.The feeling is natural and re-assuring.

Thank you my brother.We will meet at the top.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ussyman: 5:12pm On Mar 14, 2013
omotititi: Marco-p.....:Thank you so much for the encouragement.I am impressed.i will get the dimension and give you the details.As per cost of construction,i have spent about 330k plus from the beginning to the stage the farm is now.The Vet said the farm under deep litter system can accomodate about 500-600 and with cages,it should take more say 900 and above.

My ultimate goal is to use this structure as a brooding house because it is in my compound where most of the conditions for effective brooding are readily available and I have bought two plots of land 100 BY 200 in a community on your way to NIFOR that I will use for the big farm when i am ready.I am looking forward to when i will stock the first 500 DOCs or Point of lay.

My friend who started with 500 DOCs last year now rakes 14 crates of eggs everyday and each time i assist him on his farm ,i get more convinced that this is what i should do too and quickly.The feeling is natural and re-assuring.

Thank you my brother.We will meet at the top.

Omotiti I wish all the best and am really encourage. Just keep us posted.

And for your DOC don't go anywhere apart from Zartech.

We would be very happy if you can share with us the updates on your new farm!

Best.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.