Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965453 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Brineharry: 6:05pm On Sep 09, 2014
pls wo can help me with the contact of top feed customer care as i want to start using their concentrate
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AAAJI: 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2014
Hello fellow farmers...I have eggs for sale at good price. Our farm is located at ibadan,u can contact me on 08038525537.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 1:49am On Sep 12, 2014
@ AgrotConsult and all my oga. please what could be the cause of losing birds after routine Lasota, as I lost 10 birds yesterday. I read somewhere that the presence of complicating pathogens in birds, mainly mildly pathogenic avian influenza viruses (MPAI) and infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), could cause mild outbreak of Newcastle and mortality after routine Lasota. (http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?aid=2176652)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 6:45am On Sep 12, 2014
huru: @ AgrotConsult and all my oga. please what could be the cause of losing birds after routine Lasota, as I lost 10 birds yesterday. I read somewhere that the presence of complicating pathogens in birds, mainly mildly pathogenic avian influenza viruses (MPAI) and infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), could cause mild outbreak of Newcastle and mortality after routine Lasota. (http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?aid=2176652)

sorry dear for the loss. what happened is that you vaccinated sick birds. next time before vaccination observe the birds first, isolate the weak/sick ones then vaccinate the rest while u administer antibiotic to the sick ones.

you can also administer mild antibiotic/multivitamin to all the birds 2 to 3 days before vaccination.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 9:02am On Sep 12, 2014
Gozychuks: Will be getting my 200 DoC broilers on Monday. Any advice for optimum productivity
Supply was delayed by the supplier. Expecting. Them hopefully today. Hope its not too late.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 7:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
Does over feeding of layers leads 2 drop in egg production? Say like giving 350 birds 2bags of feed(50kg) daily.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 12, 2014
Nwogbe: Does over feeding of layers leads 2 drop in egg production? Say like giving 350 birds 2bags of feed(50kg) daily.

On an average scale, each 200layers should eat 1bag(25Kg) daily. So 350layers should eat 1.75bags(43Kg) daily. 50Kg daily isn't a problem to the birds, the only "supposed" problem is "increase in production cost".

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 9:13pm On Sep 12, 2014
agonbello:

On an average scale, each 200layers should eat 1bag(25Kg) daily. So 350layers should eat 1.75bags(43Kg) daily. 50Kg daily isn't a problem to the birds, the only "supposed" problem is "increase in production cost".
Thanks. But apart from d production cost(high), can it led 2 drop in quantity of eggs? produced?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 12, 2014
Nwogbe:
Thanks. But apart from d production cost(high), can it led 2 drop in quantity of eggs? produced?

No it won't.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 9:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
agonbello:

No it won't.
Ok. Tnx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
Nwogbe:
Ok. Tnx

U r welcome
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 1:32am On Sep 13, 2014
My DOC broilers just got them today. 200 of Them

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by passionatefarmer: 1:08pm On Sep 13, 2014
@gozychuks, you chicken coop is not well lit. improve on the lighting to enable you birds unfettered access to feed and water. very important at this stage.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 1:15pm On Sep 13, 2014
passionatefarmer: @gozychuks, you chicken coop is not well lit. improve on the lighting to enable you birds unfettered access to feed and water. very important at this stage.
Thanks av added 200 watts electric bulb for more lighting
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 13, 2014
Gozychuks: My DOC broilers just got them today. 200 of Them

Nice 1, wishing u success in ur quests. Meanwhile, what's ur vaccination schedule?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 1:40pm On Sep 13, 2014
agonbello:

Nice 1, wishing u success in ur quests. Meanwhile, what's ur vaccination schedule?

Thanks
1st 2days vitalayte n Doxygen. Then continue with doxygen for 4days. Then Lasota on d 7th. Dats for d first. 7days. Any advice

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 13, 2014
Gozychuks:
Thanks
1st 2days vitalayte n Doxygen. Then continue with doxygen for 4days. Then Lasota on d 7th. Dats for d first. 7days. Any advice

Gomboro comes b4 lasota.

Every1 has a schedule dat works 4 him/her. Let me give my own schedule.

1st 2days vitalyte and doxygen(or glucose). Then continue with vitalyte or any other vitamin 2ruOut except on the day(s) of vaccination.

Day10 - first gomboro
Day15 - first lasota
Day20 - 2nd gomboro
Day35 - 2nd lasota.

Note: for precautionary measure, I administer anti-cocidiasis and anti-CRD 2x weekly. (Prevention is said to be better dan cure)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 14, 2014
huru: @ AgrotConsult and all my oga. please what could be the cause of losing birds after routine Lasota, as I lost 10 birds yesterday. I read somewhere that the presence of complicating pathogens in birds, mainly mildly pathogenic avian influenza viruses (MPAI) and infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), could cause mild outbreak of Newcastle and mortality after routine Lasota. (http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?aid=2176652)
yap; i just got ur your email; didnt knw dz was d situation on ground for u; so jamp is right- and one more thing, poultry birds especially broiler chicks receiving some earlier 1st gumboro vac before day 10 are more prone to these; this is because d maternal derived antibody is still high and d vac never got d chance to ease through d bursal strain area to build a fortress. Just trying to put it in a language u will undstnd.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:58pm On Sep 14, 2014
I experienced exactly this during the dry season. But I later found out the following:
1. I give the overdose. They were over 500 birds and I gave them 1000 doses, as suggested by the lady selling the vaccine. Right now, I usually give them 3 sets of 200 dose vaccine, that is 600 dose.
2. I now give them an antibiotic, like tylodox for 3 days b4 vaccination. The dosage i use is not the treatment dosage, but the preventive one to save cost. After the antibiotic period have end, don't give vaccine the next day, wait for 3 days to pass, else the antibiotic will interfere with the vaccine.

I hope this help.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Pinkielytee: 4:34pm On Sep 14, 2014
Hello house, thanks for all the useful information and posts on this thread. I have learnt a lot by reading people's experiences. I'm ready to start my farm somewhere in PH but am so worried about managing the poultry odour so as not to disturb my neighbours. Anyone has any info on this? I want to start with 1,000 layers (DOC) and 1,000 broilers (DOC). From all I've read I see that layers are better in battery cages. So I've decided to share the farm in two sections - raise the layers in cages and raise the broilers in deep litter. Please advise if this approach is also good.

Does anyone know any farm in PH? I'll like to visit and see how things are done there and take away some learning points. I'll also need contacts of any vet doctors in PH. How do I get competent hands to employ? Is there any website for gtting people to employ? I'll need a farm manager, store manager, and security man.

I'll appreciate any other useful advise. Nairalanders, I really need this infos please. Thank you in advance!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olia: 5:43pm On Sep 14, 2014
Thank you nairalanders for ur patronage. Expecting more call.
olia: We manufacture n supply quality crates for eggs at a cheap price.
Distributors also wanted. Contact 08054803224. Nation wide delivery.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Juliana7: 11:53pm On Sep 14, 2014
@ farmtech, pls sir what do u by antibiotic treatment dosage and preventive dosage. Maybe u can help using dosage to explain
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Juliana7: 11:58pm On Sep 14, 2014
@ agrotconsult, pls sir are u saying dat we should administer just only multivitamin from day 1 to d 10th day before proceeding to d gumboro vac?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Emzzy(m): 12:03am On Sep 15, 2014
Hi house.
Thanks to every1 who has been sharing their knowledge on poutry.
Pls I would need your help.
I have 30k and I want to grow commercial broilers what do I do?
Note construction not included. Tnx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:51am On Sep 15, 2014
Juliana7: @ farmtech, pls sir what do u by antibiotic treatment dosage and preventive dosage. Maybe u can help using dosage to explain
Preventive dosage is the one you use to prevent infection. If the birds are already sick, you'll hav to give them treatment dosage, which is always greater than the preventive dossage. I hope you understand.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:54am On Sep 15, 2014
Pinkielytee: Hello house, thanks for all the useful information and posts on this thread. I have learnt a lot by reading people's experiences. I'm ready to start my farm somewhere in PH but am so worried about managing the poultry odour so as not to disturb my neighbours. Anyone has any info on this? I want to start with 1,000 layers (DOC) and 1,000 broilers (DOC). From all I've read I see that layers are better in battery cages. So I've decided to share the farm in two sections - raise the layers in cages and raise the broilers in deep litter. Please advise if this approach is also good.

Does anyone know any farm in PH? I'll like to visit and see how things are done there and take away some learning points. I'll also need contacts of any vet doctors in PH. How do I get competent hands to employ? Is there any website for gtting people to employ? I'll need a farm manager, store manager, and security man.

I'll appreciate any other useful advise. Nairalanders, I really need this infos please. Thank you in advance!
You have to check wind direction. If it lead to your neighbour's house, they might complain. The problem of odour can be minimize by planting trees some distace round the house. You also have to clean up the house regularly.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Buchika: 7:37am On Sep 15, 2014
Is there any poultry farmer in nnewi here on nairaland
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Pinkielytee: 11:16am On Sep 15, 2014
FarmTech:
You have to check wind direction. If it lead to your neighbour's house, they might complain. The problem of odour can be minimize by planting trees some distace round the house. You also have to clean up the house regularly.

Thanks FarmTech, may God bless you for your response. You've shared your wealth of knowledge in this thread without withholding anything. Please I also asked some other questions in my post. I'll appreciate if you can help answer them. Thank you again.

1. I want to start with 1,000 layers (DOC) and 1,000 broilers (DOC). From all I've read I see that layers are better in battery cages. So I've decided to share the farm in two sections - raise the layers in cages and raise the broilers in deep litter. Please advise if this approach is also good.

2. Do you know any farm in Port Harcourt? I'll like to visit and see how things are done there and take away some learning points.
3. Do you know the contacts of any vet doctors in Port Harcourt.
4. How can I get competent hands to employ here in Port Harcourt? Is there any website for gtting people to employ? I'll need a farm manager, store manager, and security man.
5. I'll appreciate any other useful advise.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 11:27am On Sep 15, 2014

Sorry for the lost bro!

Hope it was not in the afternoon you gave them?

Gumboro/Lasota are such complicated drugs one should be very careful when giving them to the birds. You may apply the following steps(if you're not already aware) next time.

1. Give them early in the morning(very important)

2. The birds must finish drinking it before the sunset(within 3hours).

3. Give them Multivitamin a day before and immediate after.

4. Ensure the drinkers are thoroughly washed before giving them multivitamin.

5. Don't give it to the sick birds.

With the above, I'm 100 percent sure you won't lose a single bird.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by shefgodson: 11:39am On Sep 15, 2014
Titiladeolu:

You are suppose to deworm them once they are due to,when last did you deworm them?
pls can u gv me. d A -Z for raisin broilers at my backyard for jst for staters. as in feedin and medication...tnx.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by shefgodson: 12:09pm On Sep 15, 2014
Titiladeolu:

You are suppose to deworm them once they are due to,when last did you deworm them?
pls can u give ma d A-Z of raisin broilers at my backyard for staters as in feedin and vaccine....tanx

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.