Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965478 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 6:30pm On Aug 22, 2014
jamp:

give them neocyrel or keprocyrel. Hope d spelling is correct.
He can combine keproceryl with tylodox.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 6:40pm On Aug 22, 2014
sleekman: this is a misconception that needs 2b corrected. U don't only need 2 raise d temp in an area of brooding birds only. Even 4 mature birds u need 2 raise d temp either 2 maintain maximum egg production or help boost d birds natural anti-bodies fighting mechanisms. U must 1st and foremost concentrate on helping ur birds 2 naturally fight anti-bodies by helping 2 boost its immune system. Effective lighting, temperature, humidity, nutrient and wind speed control are essential 4 each of d birds immune system strengthening.
Raising temperature for mature birds? Where? In nigeria's hot weather or in america's winter? In nigeria, even during the raining season all u do is to cover the pen with tarpauline/nylon. Dont waste money in heating. To us we might be feeling cold at 20 oC but to birds that is an optimal temperature.
Another thing is this, if u heat one spot in the pen, birds are likely to get cold or die bc when they leave the warm spot to a cooler spot, they'll not store air under their feather and that will make them vulnerable to cold.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 6:45pm On Aug 22, 2014
yemmit90:

Do you mean '200watts of electric lamps' or charging lamp, etc? Lamp is not that effective compare to coal. Just one heating coal pot in a well seal small brooding house is enough for your 500birds.

Besides, you only brood for a minimum of 4/5days or maximum of 7/10days depends on weather.
It is not a good idea to seal everywhere. Ventilation is still very important. U hav to leave 2 small opening on opposite top sides of the cage. You'll hav to check the temperature from time to time to make sure your opening is not too big.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 22, 2014
My Brown birds are 18weeks 2days and just one bird laying since they were 15weeks old, none other is yet to pick up, what might be the cause?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ezo4fta(m): 9:48pm On Aug 22, 2014
yemmit90:

Definitely you must have completed their vaccine by six weeks. Since they were all very healthy before you left, I suspected the death might be as a result of 'Stress'(caused by inadequate space or ventilation or they are struggling to take feed,hence stress out.

Broilers are very fragile animal, stress caused by the aforementioned condition kill them faster than disease
thanks for ur comment
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by infotainment(m): 10:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
House,pls I need to acquire poultry skills via training,as am planing to resign from my kora job any tym soon. Pls any guru to help with training,mind u I reside In lagos.i can be reached on 08028949614.very urgent pls.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sleekman(m): 9:54am On Aug 23, 2014
FarmTech:
Raising temperature for mature birds? Where? In nigeria's hot weather or in america's winter? In nigeria, even during the raining season all u do is to cover the pen with tarpauline/nylon. Dont waste money in heating. To us we might be feeling cold at 20 oC but to birds that is an optimal temperature.
Another thing is this, if u heat one spot in the pen, birds are likely to get cold or die bc when they leave the warm spot to a cooler spot, they'll not store air under their feather and that will make them vulnerable to cold.
I rest my case with u. Arguing with u can be likened 2 some ill-doctrined christians of this age.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sleekman(m): 10:11am On Aug 23, 2014
pet01: Thanks agrotConsult and jamp for your prompt response, but I decided to observe them and noticed that there cough reduce very much and in some totally gone without any further medication, though still observing. Thanks
What did u give ur birds dat eliminated d cough? This is a learning forum even vet doctors no dey know finish.

I think we should focus our attention on prevention instead of treating cause and effect. A prevention strategy is far more economically prudent.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 6:35pm On Aug 23, 2014
sleekman: What did u give ur birds dat eliminated d cough? This is a learning forum even vet doctors no dey know finish.

I think we should focus our attention on prevention instead of treating cause and effect. A prevention strategy is far more economically prudent.

@sleekman, you are right. I gave them interseryl which they got resistant to and decided not to give any other drug but observe them.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 6:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
safex101: My Brown birds are 18weeks 2days and just one bird laying since they were 15weeks old, none other is yet to pick up, what might be the cause?
I think you should be more patient for up to 20 weeks to get a better result. Its still not late to start producing, good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 6:41pm On Aug 23, 2014
Pls house, can someone tell why it is not advisable to change chicken feed from one producer/manufacturer to another one, after all they are the same mash or pellet as the case may be.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:09pm On Aug 23, 2014
it is because some feeds contains more protein n other nutrients than others. sometimes it is not advisable to change feed as most birds find it difficult to adjust to the new feed.

pet01: Pls house, can someone tell why it is not advisable to change chicken feed from one producer/manufacturer to another one, after all they are the same mash or pellet as the case may be.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:11pm On Aug 23, 2014
in my case I used topfeed from day 1 till they started laying, I changed their feed to animal care n the production dropped.

after a while I changed back to topfeed, the production jumped to like 95%.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by femu(m): 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2014
Soya husk for sale. Price is 30,000 per tonne. Good for replacing wheat offal, pkc or rice bran.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sweetnwa1(m): 11:01am On Aug 24, 2014
Pls what plan do u have for their feed, will u formulate yours Or get from market? i really need tutorials on feed formulation.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 24, 2014
pet01: Pls house, can someone tell why it is not advisable to change chicken feed from one producer/manufacturer to another one, after all they are the same mash or pellet as the case may be.
presence of salmonella infections on moldy feeds, manuafacturing defects due to bacterial growth in feeds, feeds with undigestive fatty diets causing toxcity in their intestines/u see most layer birds are already used to a very particular production format of::::::::::::::::: some missing::::::::::::texts
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
Sweetnwa1: Pls what plan do u have for their feed, will u formulate yours Or get from market? i really need tutorials on feed formulation.
just ran out of pm msg to ppl for d day so email me for a free formular & where/how to get them.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
sleekman: I rest my case with u. Arguing with u can be likened 2 some ill-doctrined christians of this age.
We're all learning man. If my words were harsh I'm sorry. But here is where I got what I wrote about: http://hencam.com/faq/cold-weather-care/
In cold weather, the important thing is to close the side tarpaulines, make sure the birds are not exposed to cold wind and that the floor is clean. Don't waste ur money on heating. Adult chicken can cope well in cold so long as all those conditions above are met.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
If ur current feed is not that good, it is advisable that u change feed. The important thing is hw u go about it. Do u just change it suddenly and expect everything to go fine? The right way to do it is slowly. Mix the two feeds together in such a way that the proportion of the old feed will be greater - I'll suggest 80%. As time goes on, gradually increase the proportion of the new feed until about 2 weeks, when u can start giving them only the new feed.
If u do it this way you wont be having problems of drop in egg production, diseases etc.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 1:18pm On Aug 24, 2014
pet01:

@sleekman, you are right. I gave them interseryl which they got resistant to and decided not to give any other drug but observe them.
If u can afford it, go for lab test with live birds. They'll conduct what's called "antibiotic sensitivity test" that will enable u know antibiotics that will work and those that will not. When I did mine, I found out that my birds are resistant to augmentin, fosfotrim, streptomycin, oxytetracycline and colistin. That means if I give my birds antibiotics containing any of these chemicals as the main content, a lot of birds might not respond to the treatment.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ezo4fta(m): 6:22pm On Aug 24, 2014
I noticed that some of my broilers are passing out red poo. I bought embazin drugs but befor I use the drugs,I want to ask the following questions; (1) how do I use dis drugs in their drinking water so dat I don't give dem over dose? (2) can i use embazin along side multi vitamin in their water?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sweetnwa1(m): 6:49pm On Aug 24, 2014
@AgrotConsult
Thank you but I don't have your mail address. mine is ndoecheas@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 24, 2014
[quote
author=ezo4fta]I noticed that some of my broilers are passing out red
poo. I bought embazin drugs but befor I use the drugs,I want to ask the
following questions; (1) how do I use dis drugs in their
drinking water so dat I don't give dem over dose?
(2) can i use embazin along side multi vitamin in their
water?[/quote]administer drugs immediately use the tail end of a teaspoon n pinch a little fetch like an old man will put snoff into his nostrils all into 1liter of drinking water dnt mix multivitamin yet. just do dz for 2days first n try check 4 any improvemnt. then multivitamins follows_ a question to u, dz blood stool hw doz it luk like? is it watery loose with small red stool? or a brown droopings with small bloodstain more like a patch. observe d faeces closely cuz one could be a symptom of a disease outbreak lurking in d corner while d other a mere case of coccidiosis::;;;
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ezo4fta(m): 9:54pm On Aug 24, 2014
AgrotConsult: administer drugs immediately use the tail end of a teaspoon n pinch a little fetch like an old man will put snoff into his nostrils all into 1liter of drinking water dnt mix multivitamin yet. just do dz for 2days first n try check 4 any improvemnt. then multivitamins follows_ a question to u, dz blood stool hw doz it luk like? is it watery loose with small red stool? or a brown droopings with small bloodstain more like a patch. observe d faeces closely cuz one could be a symptom of a disease outbreak lurking in d corne while d other a mere case of coccidiosis::;;;
. It is watery with small red stool
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 12:04am On Aug 25, 2014
My laying birds has dirty feathers, some with caked faeces below and around the vent, is that an indication of diarrhoea and what is the cure as I lost five today.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 25, 2014
huru: My laying birds has dirty feathers, some with caked faeces below and around the vent, is that an indication of diarrhoea and what is the cure as I lost five today.
gastro-intestinal diseases more like pullorium due to moldy feeds/change of feeds/salmonella infections from contaminated feeds/undigestive fatty diets contained in d feeds- just cleanse n flush out the guts of all stock now by giving them any of these in their drinking water throughout d day for two days n try to check if they have swollen heads/watery eyes/grasping breathe/piece of feeds sticking on their beak,etc any of d following will do;epsom salt/castrol oil/ mycoplasim-(drug)-kenflox 20% oral -note! epsom salt IS NOT D NORMAL TABLESALT/ kenflox 20% oral; a bottle-liquid drug can cure dz symptoms_if u insist on giving them antibiotic judging by their current situation it will not work but rather get more worse. What they need nw is abdominal cleansing/flushing. U rear on floor range system so do wat is neccessary nw clean/take full sanitary measures/change litter beddings/check for other signs/symptoms/isolated any diseased looking bird

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
ezo4fta: . It is watery with small red stool
this is not good_dat drug wont do it-quarrantine any diseased n sick bird at once n do full house cleaning, sanitize n clean drinking/feeding troughs/change litters/ get virucine liquid drug n mix with Embazine forte drug n adminster via drinking water for 3days; preparing fresh mixture per day n check for any improvement dont 4get to relieve them with multivitamins aft dz 3day regime
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by zaraman(m): 3:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
how much should a crate of egg be farm price...prices for 3 different size small egg size ,meduim egg size price and large egg size price.

different size due to the different sizes they produce from when they start laying to when they peak.

any idea please?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 6:16pm On Aug 25, 2014
jamp: in my case I used topfeed from day 1 till they started laying, I changed their feed to animal care n the production dropped.
after a while I changed back to topfeed, the production jumped to like 95%.

Well mine hasn't started laying yet, but I got disappointed when there animal care feed finished and I couldn't get a replacement anywhere, so I had to change to amoo product which I believe there supply will be more steady, besides my birds didn't show any change in behaviour, I just hope it goes well with them.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by aAK1(m): 7:41pm On Aug 25, 2014
Hello guys. I saw signs of coccidiosis with my broilers I'm about to start treatment but it is coinciding with 3rd vaccine schedule. Should I skip it, treat them first and vaccinate next week or should take the risk,vaccinate, and wait four days before treatment.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:09pm On Aug 25, 2014
aAK1: Hello guys. I saw signs of coccidiosis with my broilers I'm about to start treatment but it is coinciding with 3rd vaccine schedule. Should I skip it, treat them first and vaccinate next week or should take the risk,vaccinate, and wait four days before treatment.
Never vaccinate sick birds. Treat first.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 12:40am On Aug 26, 2014
AgrotConsult: gastro-intestinal diseases more like pullorium due to moldy feeds/change of feeds/salmonella infections from contaminated feeds/undigestive fatty diets contained in d feeds- just cleanse n flush out the guts of all stock now by giving them any of these in their drinking water throughout d day for two days n try to check if they have swollen heads/watery eyes/grasping breathe/piece of feeds sticking on their beak,etc any of d following will do;epsom salt/castrol oil/ mycoplasim-(drug)-kepcroc: note! epsom salt IS NOT D NORMAL TABLESALT/ kepcroc; a bottle-liquid drug can cure dz symptoms_if u insist on giving them antibiotic judging by their current situation it will not work but rather get more worse. What they need nw is abdominal cleansing/flushing. U rear on floor range system so do wat is neccessary nw clean/take full sanitary measures/change litter beddings/check for other signs/symptoms/isolated any diseased looking bird

Thank you but the birds are on 7days Selko PH (2ml/1ltr) already. what's Epsom salt/ castro oil dosage?

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.