Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,668 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? (14834 Views)

Poll: Which Do U Prefer?

Modern Day Marriages: 43% (56 votes)
Olden Day Marriages: 56% (73 votes)
This poll has ended

Why Do Olden Days Marriages Last Longer Than Modern Ones? / Arranged Marriages Were Better Than Modern Marriages. / Olden Days Vs Modern Days Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Peaches12: 5:53am On Apr 10, 2011
i prefer today's marriages, Women are free!
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by okenwa(m): 8:32am On Apr 10, 2011
old wines taste better
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Sweetdoct247(m): 11:11am On Apr 10, 2011
The world has changed and is still changing and so is everything in it, new challenges are arising and the old ones are being modified, values however remain d same, so it doesn't matter whether the marriage is in the olden days or now, it's a question of the virtue and values that the involved parties posses. People nowadays are however involved in practices that are making these values to depreciate fast and it starts with us, it's easy throwing comments all over the whole place but how many of us are involved in things these days that threaten the very foundation and sanctity of marriage, why don't we ask our parents if that was how they did it that time,
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by bdidi: 11:31am On Apr 10, 2011
Modern marriage of course.
Reason?

Women have rights! It is no longer a man's world inside or outside the bedroom. Cool

What a man can do. . .a woman can dooooo gooooooder! Kiss

If you dun like it. . . .move out of the house. Kiss

Ok! Have you seen a woman palm wine tapper?
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 11:46am On Apr 10, 2011
Sweetdoct247:

The world has changed and is still changing and so is everything in it, new challenges are arising and the old ones are being modified, values however remain d same, so it doesn't matter whether the marriage is in the olden days or now, it's a question of the virtue and values that the involved parties posses. People nowadays are however involved in practices that are making these values to depreciate fast and it starts with us, it's easy throwing comments all over the whole place but how many of us are involved in things these days that threaten the very foundation and sanctity of marriage, why don't we ask our parents if that was how they did it that time,
ENDORSED!!!! cool change is Inviteable. From the look of things one is tempted to say from woman has been the brain of man's downfall even in marriage too wink

Yes or NO?
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by bdidi: 11:54am On Apr 10, 2011
ENDORSED!!!! Cool change is Inviteable. From the look of things one is tempted to say from woman has been the brain of man's downfall even in marriage too Wink

Well taking a critical look at it, u may be right.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by mamagee3(f): 9:44pm On Apr 10, 2011
Olden marriage was better!

At least, back then women had values for themselves and their families unlike now that everything has been westernized.

You hardly see women these days respect their husbands without them feeling like they are on top of the world.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by gentlem80(m): 11:16pm On Apr 10, 2011
well said mama-gee!
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by N101: 10:17am On Apr 11, 2011
You'd have to define what "respect" is with regards to husband. Should a husband be respected because (a) he's the husband (b) he married her, (c) he behaves in a respectful manner?

"Westernized" can mean many things. Some of those same values that people think are wholly elsewhere also exist in the "West", depending on which circles a person moves in. I can only presume the reference is to a version of "b*star.dised "Westernization".
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Konig: 11:10am On Apr 11, 2011
Olden days marriage was better. respect must be seen in parallel with the biblical cannon. Respect by wife f husband will flow naturally because the man and wife choose to honour God and make proper restitution where nec'y. Non can have it goog if God is not honored in the marriage. Anything more is unnatural and the design of a flirtatious market.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by armyofone(m): 1:32pm On Apr 11, 2011
bdidi:

Ok! Have you seen a woman palm wine tapper?
oh yeah!! there are! i can tap palmy, real ogoro. na small work abeg.

@ dayo
50-50? for ogini? why should a man ask for 50-50, na shame abeg tongue
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Natasha2(f): 1:46pm On Apr 11, 2011
even the Bible says do not say why were the days of old better than today for they are the words of a foolish man  

Modern day marriages are better all those saying its olden days are saying it because of the expense of modern day marriages as for me I will be engaged on sea then my trado marriage will be on land and on my weeding day  I would be brought in by a jet or
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 11, 2011
@ topic

I prefer modern marriages. More freedom always determine more "wrong" choices. I'd rather be wrong on my own than have others force me to do what they think is right.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by SSaemoenl(m): 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2011
mama-gee:

Olden marriage was better!

At least, back then women had values for themselves and their families unlike now that everything has been westernized.

You hardly see women these days respect their husbands without them feeling like they are on top of the world.

shocked shocked shocked shocked kiss But!
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by mrdodo: 2:34pm On Apr 14, 2011
ALL JOIN, MODERN OR OLD, MARRIAGE NA MARRIAGE. THE ONLY ISSUE WEY MAN PICKIN FIT GET BE SAY MODERNIZED WOMEN DON TEAR EYE SCATTER, IF YOU DO THEM SMALL THING NOW, DEM GO SHOOT(SUE) YOU GO COURT. BEFORE BEFORE? MAN FIT MISBEHAVE AND MALBEHAVE ANYHOW, NO SHAKING. grin
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by mrdodo: 11:25am On Apr 15, 2011
Peaches12:

i prefer today's marriages, Women are free!
I don't think I get the gist here. What do you mean by "women are free?" Free to come and go as they like in marriage? Don't you need to pay bride price anymore to get married? Abi dem dey dash people women free for una village? If yes, tell me d name of the village, I wan marry, I no get money.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by mrdodo: 11:32am On Apr 15, 2011
chaircover:

The fundamentals of marriage should be respect and commitment and once these are in place it doesn't matter if the marriage was conducted in 1903 or 2013

For those asking for olden days marriage, you cannot live in a modern age, watch modern TV and go to Modern School, work with modern people, live in a modern financial world and expect to easily run olden day marriages & bring up Olden day kids.

Kai, you go school no be small.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by bukatyne(f): 12:10am On Mar 07, 2012
this is a very interesting discuss and i ve gone thru most of d replies here. while we can't dispute that in d olden marriages, there was more 'commitment', i til prefer d modern system. a man is now expected to cherish, love n respect his wife n vice versa. a lot of pple say a modern woman is not submissive but it would depend on wat u call been submissive. i m not saying there re no rude women or al re saints but i think a lot of pple especially men prefer d old way because they re very 'lazy' at workin out d relationship wit d wife. it takes a lot of courage, diligence, hardwork, sensitivity etc to love a person n dat, a lot of men seem not to possess. they feel they can just do anything n get away wit it like in d days of old! some pple even say women should endure, manage etc etc. wat sort of language is dat? i am not an advocate for divorce but y should a person get married when he/she is not prepared to make it work? women should also try to be more supportive of their husbands in his thots, ideas, in lack/need, actions, in pain etc etc. read 1cor13 : 4-7 for wat true love really is!
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 5:40pm On Mar 13, 2012
bukatyne: this is a very interesting discuss and i ve gone thru most of d replies here. while we can't dispute that in d olden marriages, there was more 'commitment', i til prefer d modern system. a man is now expected to cherish, love n respect his wife n vice versa. a lot of pple say a modern woman is not submissive but it would depend on wat u call been submissive. i m not saying there re no rude women or al re saints but i think a lot of pple especially men prefer d old way because they re very 'lazy' at workin out d relationship wit d wife. it takes a lot of courage, diligence, hardwork, sensitivity etc to love a person n dat, a lot of men seem not to possess. they feel they can just do anything n get away wit it like in d days of old! some pple even say women should endure, manage etc etc. wat sort of language is dat? i am not an advocate for divorce but y should a person get married when he/she is not prepared to make it work? women should also try to be more supportive of their husbands in his thots, ideas, in lack/need, actions, in pain etc etc. read 1cor13 : 4-7 for wat true love really is!

well said.
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Brite02(m): 5:40pm On Mar 13, 2012
bukatyne: this is a very interesting discuss and i ve gone thru most of d replies here. while we can't dispute that in d olden marriages, there was more 'commitment', i til prefer d modern system. a man is now expected to cherish, love n respect his wife n vice versa. a lot of pple say a modern woman is not submissive but it would depend on wat u call been submissive. i m not saying there re no rude women or al re saints but i think a lot of pple especially men prefer d old way because they re very 'lazy' at workin out d relationship wit d wife. it takes a lot of courage, diligence, hardwork, sensitivity etc to love a person n dat, a lot of men seem not to possess. they feel they can just do anything n get away wit it like in d days of old! some pple even say women should endure, manage etc etc. wat sort of language is dat? i am not an advocate for divorce but y should a person get married when he/she is not prepared to make it work? women should also try to be more supportive of their husbands in his thots, ideas, in lack/need, actions, in pain etc etc. read 1cor13 : 4-7 for wat true love really is!

well said.

1 Like

Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Pacee: 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2012
[quote authorite02]

well said.[/quote]
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by Pacee: 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2012
[quote authorite02]

well said.[/quote]
Re: Modern Marriages Vs Oldern Days(those Days) Marriages, Which Do U Prefer & Why? by tete7000(m): 10:18am On Jul 18, 2014
God instituted marriage and the rules of the marriage in the heart of God have never changed. The same standard God expected of marriage one million years ago is still what he expects of it now. So to divide marriage into modern and olden thing, I disagree. Marriage is marriage. As it was in the beginning, so it is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Life Expectancy Depends On Your Location / Why Do Some Women Want More Kids? / The Word “Marriage Is Just For Once” Is A Scam Don't Fall For It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.