Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,941 members, 7,835,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' (52797 Views)

#WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes / WTO DG: Why Okonjo-Iweala May Not Win - Kayode Ogundamisi / WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala, Myung-Hee React To WTO's Formal Announcement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 17, 2021
She is 66
She is grandmother
Igbos low mentality
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by benratigan3(m): 2:11pm On Feb 17, 2021
tritt:
E dey their blood,awon racist. But make we even reason am small, this woman has got brainssssss.

Now see this part.

Okonjo-Iweala has a Bachelor’s in economics from Harvard University and a Ph.D. in regional economics and development from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She also holds honourary degrees from over a dozen universities globally.

She was a two-time minister of finance in Nigeria and minister of foreign affairs. She is the first female to take up both jobs.

She is a board member at Twitter, Standard Chartered Bank, and African Risk Capacity. The 66-year-old was up till February 2021, the co-chair of the Global Commission for the Economy and Climate.

She is a member Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) international advisory board; IMF external advisory board; and AU special envoy.

She won the global finance minister of the year 2005 by Euromoney. She was one of the top 100 most influential people in the World for 2014 by TIME Magazine.

She was also one of the top 100 global thinkers for 2011 and 2012 by Foreign Policy.

The top 100 most powerful women in the world by Forbes Magazine would not have been complete in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 without her name.

She holds some of the highest national honours from Nigeria, Liberia, and Cote d’Ivoire.

Kudos Madame!!!!

and Nigeria is a mess with buhari .
look at all Jonathan and pdp ministers getting global appointments,non of the present ministers can't get any outside Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Great2017: 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2021
Armaggedon:
Is a grandmother suppose to be an insult?

It becomes an insult when it is not accurately reflecting on all the qualities that won her the position of the WTO Director General.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Ghostmode2two(m): 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2021
The white and racism. When will racism ever come to an end?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by optimusprime2(m): 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2021
This is why understanding the context of a language is very important...
That's not what the headline connoted in German...
They are literally hailing her as "Big-Mama Nigeria"
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Mightyhaiz: 2:15pm On Feb 17, 2021
somehow:
You obviously don't understand how the media brainwashing works.

Was she made the WTO DG because she's 66 years old or a grandmother?

Of what use are these "qualifying tags" to the message they are trying to pass?
i don tire to dey correct notions here o..

Those stupes made condescending remarks on the woman by calling her a 66 year old Nigerian granny,as if its a crime to be a Nigerian 66 year old granny.. Now,i ask what is wrong in being a nigerian,and a grandmother ,and moreover one with an intimidating pedigree. So how exactly is that post suppose to draw condemnations from you and ilk?

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by salford1: 2:22pm On Feb 17, 2021
Racism. Same reason Trump did not want her for the job. Racists hate to see black people achieve greatness

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by uchennaq(m): 2:25pm On Feb 17, 2021
Is she not 66 years old and also a grandma? People get issue

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by banmee(m): 2:25pm On Feb 17, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

I wonder. When did calling grandmithers what they are become an insult

Baffling.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by WibusJaga: 2:26pm On Feb 17, 2021
Mightyhaiz:
Whats wrong with a 66 year old Nigerian grandmother if she can more than deliver..?

..or is it because she is African? Most world leaders are grand parents..

It is actually not good when used as a headline...

“This Grandmother will become the new boss of WTO,” the headline of a report by Luzerner Zeitung read, announcing Okonjo-Iweala’s selection as the director-general.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by darkwan: 2:26pm On Feb 17, 2021
istina:
How old are the leaders of
UN
WHO
IOC
NATO

Abegi! She is grandma yes we love her so

thunda fire her....very useless woman....
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Nobody: 2:37pm On Feb 17, 2021
This are the people that our brothers from the yeast are calling everyday to come to their rescue.
I talk am, Igbos are useless people.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by TheGift: 2:45pm On Feb 17, 2021
Reducing Her description to merely "Grandmother" in the face of all Her world class achievements, is a very BIG insult!

Armaggedon:
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by alenwup(m): 2:51pm On Feb 17, 2021
These people will never learn. They should allow us to register our anger at their embassy. I go use special rock comot dem embassy eye. Idiots people. Did anybody contest the position from their country?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Mightyhaiz: 2:53pm On Feb 17, 2021
WibusJaga:

It is actually not good when used as a headline...
You read in a hurry,u didt understand my post
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Nathan85: 2:54pm On Feb 17, 2021
Freestainworld:
What ever they like, let them call her, as far as she's occupying the position which is the most important thing, the whites are just in a state of shock that an African, a woman for that matter will be occupying the highly coveted position.
Let them remain in shock......i just wish the shock will convert to electricity and electricute them.....awon haters.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by magicminister: 2:54pm On Feb 17, 2021
Armaggedon:

It’s not an insult but she has so many experiences that has made her qualitified for the role.
66 year old HAVARD graduate
66 year old EX-Finance minister
Etc

But they chose to describe her as a 66 year old grandmother which has nothing to do with her skill set and qualifications! This hard working black woman finally makes it to the top of her career and they sum it up as “66 year old grand mother”.
If you can’t see anything wrong in this, the blatant disrespect and racism, then I have nothing else to say!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by obailala(m): 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2021
'66 year old grandmother becomes head of WTO'

Am I the only one who doesn't exactly find anything offensive about the statement? People are just too insecure and sensitive.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by theFilmtric: 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2021
tiredoflife:
Yet she can never be president of Nigeria cos of hatred for igbos
But a certain nepa bill holder is loved by all including the ewedu eaters cos of hatred for igbos embarassed
who hates Igbos?—you had better change your thinking

theFilmtricsay
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by magicminister: 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2021
iReddington:
A lot of you asking what's wrong with calling her 66 year Nigerian grandmother are obviously not okay in the head and just plain stupid. It's not even a subtle jab at all.
So if you have qualifications a mile long from some of the best and elite institutions in the world, with numerous global accolades, you would prefer to be addressed and reduced to just your age, gender and nationality.
Do you know how bloody hard you have to work to get where she is with these qualifications, only for it to be diminished by pedestrian headlines and calling her a 66 year old Nigerian grandmother
Racist bastards.

I swear! I have come to understand that Nigerians are the smartest people on earth but have extremely limited social skill and exposure. Have extremely limited understanding of how the world works.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2021
favour32:
Northern online warrior!

Eastern charm warrior
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Goodman247: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2021
donbachi:
Racist...e pain dem.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by magicminister: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2021
obailala:
'66 year old grandmother becomes head of WTO'

Am I the only one who doesn't exactly find anything offensive about the statement? People are just too insecure and sensitive.

It’s okay to be ignorant but it’s your responsibility to educate yourself. Read the comments, see opposing views and understand their reason being on the opposing side! Don’t just be happy being stupid lol
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2021
uniquelyspecial:
Somebody help!!! E don enter street oo, na market remain

I wish you knew that you needed such level of help.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by obailala(m): 3:02pm On Feb 17, 2021
magicminister:

It’s okay to be ignorant but it’s your responsibility to educate yourself. Read the comments, see opposing views and understand their reason being on the opposing side! Don’t just be happy being stupid lol
So because I have a different opinion from you, it automatically makes me 'ignorant', 'happily stupid' and in need of education? And you think you're normal upstairs for reasoning like this? You think insulting strangers online makes you sound smart? I just feel deeply sorry for your parents who birthed a retarrded idiot.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by WoundedLamb: 3:03pm On Feb 17, 2021
Lol... well, she's exactly that. What I find off is why three different newspapers would stick to that exact description. Do they have any issues with the age, nationality or marital/maternal status? Anyway, people call women all sorts of names in her home country. This is nothing to her.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by ChrisLegacy007: 3:04pm On Feb 17, 2021
they were juz tryin' to point out that she's perhaps too old for the job "judgin' from the life expectancy of an average Nigerian" which is below 50years.. blame the gov't..
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by mmsen: 3:12pm On Feb 17, 2021
Mightyhaiz:
Whats wrong with a 66 year old Nigerian grandmother if she can more than deliver..?

..or is it because she is African? Most world leaders are grand parents..

They don't describe others as such.

Europeans and their nonsense.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Goalnaldo(m): 3:20pm On Feb 17, 2021
Let me be tribalistic today. She has achieved more than what any afonja or ipob have ever achieved cheesy
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Sleekfingers: 3:22pm On Feb 17, 2021
2mercy:
Backlash as Swiss newspapers say the new WTO DG is a ’66-year-old Nigerian grandmother’

https://www.thecable.ng/backlash-as-swiss-newspapers-say-the-new-wto-dg-is-a-66-year-old-nigerian-grandmother

E PAIN DEM........yeye people
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by Tcwork: 3:30pm On Feb 17, 2021
Is having a PhD more important than having a family? Before, it used to be a thing of pride to be called a grandparent but now in the era of political correctness, it's an insult.
Re: Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' by egoldman(m): 3:35pm On Feb 17, 2021
PatriotExact:
Nnamdi Kanu is a fool

Na that one dey pain you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

'It's Insulting To Come To Lagos By Night Bus, Grow Here, Then Abuse Our State' / Leke Abejide Shows Credit Alert On TV. Receives ₦697,911 Monthly Salary / Deji Adeyanju: "Buhari Copied GEJ By Wearing Army Uniform" - Presidency Replies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.