Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? (15376 Views)

What's The Best Advice On This Matter? / I Need A Best Advice On Which Of These Brands Of Chess Freezer To Buy. / I Want To Stop Womanizing (best Advice Needed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by nony43(m): 12:15pm On Mar 02, 2021
First time mums always make mistakes...
Some made/make mistakes with the food...
Some its with over pampering...
Some do not let their children become independent early enough.

A friend once messaged me that her kid was beginning to have piles because his poopoo was too strong and was constantly so...I told her to feed him Veggies more often and she told me he doesn't eat it...I told her that the decision to give him the right food lies with her,there are so many ways to get your child to eat Vegetables...We just have to find out how to do it...
What were the mistakes you made as a first time mum and how did you rectify it?
What about with feeding?What did you feed your child and how did you trick them into eating well, with being abusive?
You might be saving a mother from her child's drama with your comment..LOL

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by ayterajah(m): 12:29pm On Mar 02, 2021
Am an expectant Dad.... so for now no comment than make sure you breast feed the baby very well and don't share the food with your husband ....

I dedicate this FTC to all the first born trying hard to leave Nigeria to Europe

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:50pm On Mar 02, 2021
"Woe to anyone who causes anyone of these little ones to fall by the way!"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by BruncleZuma: 3:45pm On Mar 02, 2021
You need a steady source of physical and emotional support, because the post-partum depression be real as f*ck. Trust me I know some sh*t.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by pozehnani(f): 3:59pm On Mar 02, 2021
I'll start by tackling constipation in children.
If you notice a child can't poo due to hard stool, and he won't take veggies by mouth, pump him through the anus with some herbal solution ( I can't remember what it is called in English) to prevent pile from forced poo.

Then make sure he takes a lot of fruits specifically pawpaw and orange. You can juice and bottle it for them to take to school. That way they'll never suffer constipation.

As for how to get them to eat without being abusive or hard on them. Get some chewable multivitamins ( they are quite expensive). This will induce hunger and make them eat very well without being forced. Its also very good for their skin. A 250g size of the chewable multivitamins goes for like 30k upwards.
Alternatively, you can give normal multivitamins syrup.

Now, there are some children who defy this multivitamins and still won't eat. Just try to find out what what such a child likes and let him be having it pending when he begins to eat very well. Every child has what he or she likes.

Never force a child to eat what he or she doesn't like.

Modified.

Yeah, I just saw a very important and disturbing point now and thats the issue of sudden night cries. This can be very disturbing and most times, parents don't seem to know the cause.

Since these babies cannot talk and the only means they express themselves is by crying, I'll say parents should always be on guard by having and doing the following when such happens.

Always Have gestids suspention for babies at home. if after changing the diapers , giving the child food and other things to pacify the child, he or she continues to cry ( which is always the case) then give the child the suspension because most times its could be stomach upset.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 02, 2021
Children tend to like what their mothers like(food).eat what u want ur child to eat.u cant dislike pap and expect the baby to like it.after six months,start allowing d baby taste or eat what u eat,avoid all those can foods if u can,it will make ur baby start eating normally in no time.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 02, 2021
ayterajah:
Am an expectant Dad.... so for now no comment than make sure you breast feed the baby very well and don't share the food with your husband ....

I dedicate this FTC to all the first born trying hard to leave Nigeria to Europe
Lalasticlala,please grant ur brother his greatest wish.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Commonguy(m): 5:48pm On Mar 02, 2021
give to people and never expect anything from them .. God who sees such act will certainly reward you... that statement I will always cherish...

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Reex12(m): 5:48pm On Mar 02, 2021
k

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by bouncin04(m): 5:48pm On Mar 02, 2021
Don't let the love for the child affect the love you have for your hubby negatively , I mean for the married one's o ,

sorry advice not for the usless Nigerian single girls/ mums grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by highdon(m): 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2021
I won't talk much just help us reduce the menace in our society

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by oluwasegun007(m): 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2021
Sorry

Stumbled on the wrong Topic
Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by GeneralPula: 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2021

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2021
angry Who no know Go Know grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by peacettw: 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2021
Breathe.

It is tasking looking after a baby. Don't sweat it if you aren't getting things right. Always seek for help from the right source aka a paediatrician.

Learn to be assertive and trust your instincts. You will be flooded with lots of info from your mother-in-law cum other concerned relatives. Learn to say no if the info doesn't sound right to you. Some examples are
1. Massaging an enlarged baby's breast with hot water. That can introduce some infection

2. Herbal medication for tummy upset. Abdominal colic are common in babies up until 4 to 5 months of age. There is no known cure although exclusive breastfeeding, and burping can help.

3. Avoid the use of smoothie cream or its likes. Those creams are laced with very potent steroids that can knock off the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in addition to killing off the normal skin flora.

4. I am sure you must have read that baby powders can cause female genital cancers. Best to avoid them

Again if in doubt, contact your doctor

Oh, one last thing. This is not the time to be a super mom/wife. If you are tired, sleep like your baby's life depends on it cos it literally does. I find that sleeping when baby does can help a whole lot to revitalise you, reduce postpartum depression and enhance milk production.

Someone below me just mentioned the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding. Trust me, they are 100% true.

I can go on and on but I will stop here.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by alphaconde(m): 5:50pm On Mar 02, 2021
be more confident lots of people will advise u

not all of them know what they are saying

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Skyfornia(m): 5:50pm On Mar 02, 2021
Give the baby breast only for atleast 6 months..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by OldNairalander(m): 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2021
Ok
Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by sylve11: 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2021
it's your business entirely to mind............ cool

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2021
@Op taking care of a baby as a first time mum is tasking and at a point 'frustrating'. Just be calm about it, don't force food on your little one, take it step by step, if he rejects one food, try another...

when my DS had tummy upset, my mother-in-law told me to try this herbal leaf scent leaf.(nchawu in igbo) ,you squeeze the leaf to get the water. it work like magic

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by mosho2good: 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2021
If truly we are sons and daughters of Adam and Eve, how come buhari is not behaving like us?

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by DMerciful(m): 5:51pm On Mar 02, 2021
Do not neglect your first love which is your husband!

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Jh0wsef(m): 5:52pm On Mar 02, 2021
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]ok
Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by IamPlato(m): 5:53pm On Mar 02, 2021
never cheat on your husband

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Craaaa: 5:54pm On Mar 02, 2021
Do not take it too serious because its your 1st time. If u take it too serious because its your 1st time, you would make a lot of mistakes.. That's why mums becomes real mothers after the 1st child because they become use to it. Just do what is right and do not panic. Always listen to the advice of your own mum or mother inlaw, this is very paramount...

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by galantjoe(m): 5:54pm On Mar 02, 2021
For the first time mom. Follow this advice
1. Use exclusive breastfeeding. It is cheaper and healty. For that 6 months, no hospital for your kid except vaccination or immunization. You will also spend little. But please feed yourself very well.
2. Use pampers. It is cheaper and healthier.
3. Use traditional method for many child early health care like jaundice, beriberi, removal of tongue string, etc. I don't need to mention them because most of them they don't English names.
4. Protect your child from witches and wizards. By keeping anti witch items or cream around your child.
5. Always take your child to hospital or health centre for any health issues. Never buy child syrup from pharmacist without health practitioner prescription untill he or she is 6months or more
6. Always involve your mom or elder woman who has child caring experience
7 Good luck

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Authoreety: 5:55pm On Mar 02, 2021
Take care of your child jealously.... Never you let your child out of ur sight

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Larrycool1234(m): 5:55pm On Mar 02, 2021
Keep calm,never give up, take care of your child irrespective of the dad's behaviour .. everything is gonna be alright .

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Sunnydoo: 5:58pm On Mar 02, 2021
Time for practical work as u were theoretically orientated before now.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by BlowYourMind: 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2021
ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Women: What Was Your Contribution To Your Brideprice Situation? / Top 15 Signs To Know Forces Are Following U From D Village / Clean London Used Smart Tvs For 70k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.