Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,101 members, 7,845,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? (9609 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: APC Asks Kachikwu To Resign, Silent On Buhari The Oil Minister / Is Wole Olanipekun The Best Lawyer In Nigeria / Presidency Silent On Patience Jonathans Whereabouts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 10:46am On Apr 15, 2011
otokx:

The elections were free and fair[b] but the results were not.
[/b]
Iwu must be lavving at Jega by now.
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by ideylaff: 11:13am On Apr 15, 2011
Iwu must be lavving at Jega by now.

IWU IS A DEAD MAN WALKING, HIS CONSCIENCE WILL KILL HIM LIKE THE OTHERS NEMESIS WILL CATCH UP WITH HIM

THE OTHER DAY IN LONDON, I+ A COUPLE OG NIGERIANS SAW HIM AND WE CHASED HIM IN THE WEST END,  THE FELLA RAN BACK INTO THE DORCHESTER HOTEL EMBARRASSED. WE COULD HAVE DEALTH WITH HIM IN OUR OWN WAY.

IM NOT SCRED TO DEAL WITH BAD PEOPLE OUTSEIDE NIGERIA IF AND WHEN I SEE THEM, EVEN IN NIGERIA, IF NO POLICEMAN DEY AROUND

1 OR 4 SLAPS DONT HURT, BUT IT MAKES THEIR CONSCIENCE TICK THAT, THEY ARE FOR EVER HAUNTED,

THE EVIL MEN DO LIVE AFTER THEM,
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by Akosbaba(m): 4:23pm On Apr 15, 2011
There are lots of posters with personality disorders here on NL ,one second they are saying vote for the personality not the party then the next they are extolling the virtues of the party that dont exist.prof knows what he's saying nothing good can ever come out of pdp,voting GEJ is a risk not everyone is willing to take.
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by coolegbo(m): 10:07pm On Apr 15, 2011
What's so special about him anyway?
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by pastorkingsleye(m): 9:24am On Apr 16, 2011
why is buhari crying
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by skelemba: 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2011
Follow @mypages10 on twitter for your news update and hottest entertainment gist.
www.twitter.com/mypages10
stay informed
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by olanajim(m): 7:17pm On Apr 17, 2011
I dont know who opened this, but I can say that SOYIKA has retired from public life, he will no more be making public comments on such issues again, it is time you guys start grooming a new Soyinka
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by johnie: 8:47am On Apr 29, 2011
Post-polls violence in North pre-planned – Soyinka

On April 28, 2011 · · In News

BY GBENGA OKE

NOBEL Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, Thursday took a critical look at the 2011 polls, the attendant mayhem and controversies and issued a series of point blank verdicts: President Goodluck Jonathan won the presidential polls; the outbursts of violence in some northern states after the April 16 elections were pre-planned and targeted at Youth Corps members and the 2011 polls were better than other elections.

At an interaction with newsmen at his Victoria Island, Lagos residence, Soyinka, who congratulated President Jonathan on his victory, lamented that the killings were based on speculations, lies and fabricated stories and urged aggrieved presidential candidates to seek redress in the law courts.

According to him, “in the North, I think a lot of wild speculations were going on which have led to an unbelievable carnage and waste of human life in this nation and this is the reason why I intend to speak.

“I have been getting reports from what is going on in Gombe, Bauchi, Kaduna on hourly basis and what you will come to realise, at the end, is that most of those cases where such killings were carried out were on the basis of nothing and often based on lies or fabricated stories. And most often, most of these killings had been planned well before hand and anybody that says this carnage is not planned is naive.

“I am convinced that these killings were planned before the election and it is, therefore, the responsibility of not only the government but also all citizens.”

Soyinka decried a situation where youths who are serving their fatherland would be targeted for annihilation, noting that the scheme introduced by Gen Yakubu Gowon in 1973 was a model and akin to America Peace Corps.

His words: “I have also been contacted to rescue some Youth Service Corps members and one of them I spoke to, said she was taking refuge at the SSS training quarters in Bauchi. When I spoke to her, she said she has a machete cut on her back and on her head and some on her legs.

In fact, I learnt that Youth Corps members were actually targeted. One of the greatest achievements of General Gowon was the creation of NYSC and I have always credited him for that; it is visionary and it represents what America peace corps is all about during the John Kennedy days.

“This NYSC should be a symbol of unity and any corps member is supposed to be under the protection of the citizens of the state. My own children served in the North and if by any means any of my children had cause to serve in any Northern state, I will tell that child over my dead body.

The Nobel laureate linked the rising wave of violence, the Boko Haram saga to failure of past governments. He canvassed convening of Sovereign National Conference (SNC), reduction of wages of lawmakers among others to address the multitude of problems afflicting the country.

He said: “The conduct and behaviour of successive governments towards massacres in the North have been very worrisome. When you talk about the National Sovereign Conference, like the in-ordinate salary of the National Assembly, also we have spoken about the kind of system we are running.

“Does this nation really require full time legislature, which we are running now? Is it really what this nation requires with such an unbelievable amount?

“We need to reduce the process of legislation and making laws in this nation be reduced to those who are actually coming out not because they want to represent themselves but because they want to serve. A part time legislature, is it not about time we consider such?”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/post-polls-violence-in-north-pre-planned-soyinka/
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 01, 2011
This guy is in support of rigged elections?

if this report is true, I would say he is a supporter of the corrupt system.
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by Odunnu: 2:16pm On May 01, 2011
Thought the two days break would make you saner?
*smh*
Re: Why Is Wole Soyinka Silent On These Free And Fair Elections? by ragdollz: 6:21pm On May 01, 2011
ideylaff:

IWU IS A DEAD MAN WALKING, HIS CONSCIENCE WILL KILL HIM LIKE THE OTHERS NEMESIS WILL CATCH UP WITH HIM

THE OTHER DAY IN LONDON, I+ A COUPLE OG NIGERIANS SAW HIM AND WE CHASED HIM IN THE WEST END,  THE FELLA RAN BACK INTO THE DORCHESTER HOTEL EMBARRASSED. WE COULD HAVE DEALTH WITH HIM IN OUR OWN WAY.

IM NOT SCRED TO DEAL WITH BAD PEOPLE OUTSEIDE NIGERIA IF AND WHEN I SEE THEM, EVEN IN NIGERIA, IF NO POLICEMAN DEY AROUND

1 OR 4 SLAPS DONT HURT, BUT IT MAKES THEIR CONSCIENCE TICK THAT, THEY ARE FOR EVER HAUNTED,

THE EVIL MEN DO LIVE AFTER THEM,

lmaooo, I think I could have managed to work in a few punches to the bloated stomach myself grin grin grin. Chasing him at the West End grin grin grin grin. You guys are gems grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Obi Commences Construction Of 10 Maternity And Child Health Centre(pictures) / Northern Youth Ultimatum Is Rubbish - We Dare The North To Try Nonsense! / Electoral Bill: NASS Will Override Buhari If He Doesn't Sign - Serguis Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.