Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,366 members, 7,836,476 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? (2090 Views)

I Thought Church Marriage Is The Cheapest Marriage / Will They Do Thesame To My Future Daughters? / Is Inter-church Marriage The Best Shot At Securing The Most Suitable Spouse??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by miniziter(m): 7:27am On Mar 28, 2021
Please I need to be orientated about wedding certificates. I want to know if a church certificate can give same value as that of court.
The value I am referring to include: travelling out, bank documentation etc
Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by Skyfornia(m): 7:28am On Mar 28, 2021
Here to learn too...
Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by doggedfighter(f): 7:34am On Mar 28, 2021
Time to learn something new.
Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by Heroulo: 7:45am On Mar 28, 2021
How na??

Most Church certificate are errmm virtually ‘worthless’
While the court certificate is the real deal. Legally binding. Say you want to travel in future and you need to present your marriage certificate, a church cert wont do anything, same for banking ‘change of name’ and a whole lot of other things .

Soo No, they are not the same, and cannot serve the same purpose, or give the same value.

3 Likes

Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by Yusufisraelj(m): 7:53am On Mar 28, 2021
miniziter:
Please I need to be orientated about wedding certificates. I want to know if a church certificate can give same value as that of court.

They are one and the same however there's a caveat - if the church is licensed by the federal government to conduct marriage and issue certificate, then it carries the authority of a registry "court" certificate. If not the church certificate falls under customary marriage arrangements and it's only tenable in a customary court.

However of superior authority is the registry certificate, it's recognised internationally, bkos it carries the weight and seal of the federal government, giving legitimacy to your union as Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by BareFacedLies(m): 8:40am On Mar 28, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

They are one and the same however there's a caveat - if the church is licensed by the federal government to conduct marriage and issue certificate, then it carries the authority of a registry "court" certificate. If not the church certificate falls under customary marriage arrangements and it's only tenable in a customary court.

However of superior authority is the registry certificate, it's recognised internationally, bkos it carries the weight and seal of the federal government, giving legitimacy to your union as Nigerians.

I think this is the most accurate response so far

3 Likes

Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by tobiyclassy: 10:23am On Mar 28, 2021
Saw ur laptop on another thread, can you send me a message on telegram

Heroulo:
How na??

Most Church certificate are errmm virtually ‘worthless’
While the court certificate is the real deal. Legally binding. Say you want to travel in future and you need to present your marriage certificate, a church cert wont do anything, same for banking ‘change of name’ and a whole lot of other things .

Soo No, they are not the same, and cannot serve the same purpose, or give the same value.
Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by Dreadlock69(m): 10:54am On Mar 28, 2021
Make unah experiment on the two with divorce first I wan see something

1 Like

Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by miniziter(m): 6:45am On Mar 30, 2021
Dreadlock69:
Make unah experiment on the two with divorce first I wan see something
With church certificate, no divorce while with court certificate, divorce is allowed but it favours the wife more.
Re: Is Court And Church Marriage Certificate Thesame? by bigpicture001: 7:34am On Mar 30, 2021
Yes they are the same.. Just they they have different witnesses to the union...one is the clergy and the other is the court.....

Churches get their certificate from the registry...and makes them available in churches.....just like jamb mks form available in banks to reach everyone...if u see the document ,u will see a state registry authority on it.and the space for husband to sign ,wife to sign and the clergy as witness........

Dou its given in churches,its a legal document..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Men Beating Women/their Wives.... / Best Restaurants On Lagos Mainland To Visit With Your Romantic Partner / Name A Nairalander Whose Comments You Always Like Sometimes Without Reading!.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.