Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,256 members, 7,860,589 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:04 PM

Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? (2055 Views)

Why I Resigned From My Job As A Pastor In Winners Chapel And Became A Babalawo / Saved by grace alone - A filthy doctrine of demons. Please beware! / Our Righteousness Is Not Filthy Rags, God Wants Our Righteousness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 5:45pm On Apr 09, 2021
LisaAnneMia:

But do you know what Job said from chapter 29? He started challenging their accusations and became so self-righteous. He talked about all that he did and all of his achievements. When you depend or believe you have your own part to play to keep the commandments, if anything bad happens, you begin to say things like "I don't deserve this. I have been upright all my life. I did this and did that. This shouldn't happen to me, why is God allowing this happen to me".

And if you say Job wasn't self-righteous, let's look at Elihu's argument in chapter 32. So these three men stopped answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. Read Elihu's argument cos he got angry that Job was justifying himself instead of God. See what self-righteousness causes?

!
Actually , you are wrong in your claim that Job became self-righteous. No, He did not! Righteousness doesn't have an on and off switch where if you say something of what you have done in obedience to God's command, you become unrighteous or self-righteous. undecided

What job listed in Job 31 were instead the same works of righteousness which God commanded His people who are holy to do in His name. You will find the same list given by God in numerous other places in your bible..

* In Ezekial 18 and then Ezekiel 33, God provides again the list of works that the righteous do where He declares that those who do those works will not die but those who don't willl.

* In Matthew 25 vs 31-46, Jesus Christ gives a similar list to His followers explaining that only those who do works of righteousness will in fact enter into Heaven.

* in Isaiah 58, God declares that He is against the kind of fasting that you do when you starve your bodies of food, proposing instead that the kind of fasting He wants is the kind that involves the doing of works of righteousness

So, no, Job did not practice self-righteousness since righteousness is about the doing of works specified by God. He was declared Righteous because of the works he, Job, did in obedience to God's own commandments. He, Job, attempted instead to make His case before God by listing that he had indeed obeyed all of the commandments set before him by God, something God Himself never denied. undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by LisaAnneMia: 7:15pm On Apr 09, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Actually , you are wrong in your claim that Job became self-righteous. No, He did not! Righteousness doesn't have an on and off switch where if you say something of what you have done in obedience to God's command, you become unrighteous or self-righteous. undecided

What job listed in Job 31 were instead the same works of righteousness which God commanded His people who are holy to do in His name. You will find the same list given by God in numerous other places in your bible..

* In Ezekial 18 and then Ezekiel 33, God provides again the list of works that the righteous do where He declares that those who do those works will not die but those who don't willl.

* In Matthew 25 vs 31-46, Jesus Christ gives a similar list to His followers explaining that only those who do works of righteousness will in fact enter into Heaven.

* in Isaiah 58, God declares that He is against the kind of fasting that you do when you starve your bodies of food, proposing instead that the kind of fasting He wants is the kind that involves the doing of works of righteousness

So, no, Job did not practice self-righteousness since righteousness is about the doing of works specified by God. He was declared Righteous because of the works he, Job, did in obedience to God's own commandments. He, Job, attempted instead to make His case before God by listing that he had indeed obeyed all of the commandments set before him by God, something God Himself never denied. undecided
So "So these three men stopped answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. in Job chapter 32 was not self-righteousness, then what? And we're talking about Job please. Don't deviate.
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 7:47pm On Apr 09, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
So "So these three men stopped answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. in Job chapter 32 was not self-righteousness, then what? And we're talking about Job please. Don't deviate.
But recall that Job's righteousnesss was not based on the views of these 3 men but God's judgement and nowhere are we told in all 42 chapters that God changed His mind about Job's righteousness. undecided

God declared Job righteous and this for his obedience of God's very commandments since Job did the works commanded him of God(Job 31). Job, quite reasonably too, wanted to understand the reason for his sufferings because he was sure he was following God's commandments in these things and he felt he had a case to make, if only, before God. undecided

His friends however came with their own standards to judge Job and his declarations, not on God's word , but their perception of the man Job, something which God eventually comdemned them for doing. undecided

Job in His attempt to make his case before God commited no sin against God even in His anger -Sin is not arbitrary- it is defined by God's comandments/rules. He simply listed the very things God commanded of him to do , all of which he did, explaining reason he wanted to understand why he was being "punished". undecided

God's response to Job reveals to us that the accusation of self-righteousness holds no ground with God, the one who is judge of these things. And that God commanded an "apology" on behalf of Job from his friends, speaks volumes in this. undecided

God does not penalize people for asking Him questions or wanting answers from Him in order to gain better understanding of things and of situations. He is not a cruel God that He would remove His blessings simply because we question what He is doing to us in order that we may gain better understanding to maybe do better. undecided

1 Like

Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by johnnywayne(m): 7:51pm On Apr 09, 2021
Nutella
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:56pm On Apr 09, 2021
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 8:46pm On Apr 09, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
One guy above is quite confused and quoted Matthew 7:22-23. Thank God he did that. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. I dunno why people like ignoring Romans 6:2. They always stop at Romans 6:1. Romans 6:2 clearly has the answer to the gospel of grace that they say is of the enemy. How can someone who is dead to sin and alive in Christ Jesus work iniquity? Is the work that Jesus do of iniquity? So how can those who live in Christ work iniquity? Isn't Jesus talking about works that glorify men instead of God. In all your self efforts to keep the commandments on your own, do these efforts or works glorify God or glorify men? Those who look to Jesus as their righteousness and depend 100% on Him, are they glorifying Jesus or glorifying themselves? Ask yourselves these questions.
I am afraid that have it all tangled up there.

The doing of the works commanded you of God is not what is filthy here but instead your doing of these works while still living as a slave to sin...Sin renders all attempts at doing God's work filthy in the sight of God. :-

Basically, a sinner cannot produce anything pleasing to God. Remember God is holy and He demands that you also be Holy and acceptable before Him.undecided

Same goes for unbelievers who don't believe in God but feel that the idea expressed in the book makes sense. I happen to have met atheists who do works depicted as righteous works in the Bible. I love them for it too but no matter how much they put their hearts it it, the fact is their sacrifice is unacceptable before God, and why? Because it is tainted by their unbelief. undecided

In a similar fashion, the works/sacrifice of sinners are tainted(rendered filthy) by their refusal to accept(trust) and obey the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ , which is disobedience .I.e. sin. undecided

So, in Matthew 7 vs 22 and 23, Jesus Chriat speaks of those who believe in Him -they do their works in His name - but they are sinners and so none of their works matter since they do not belong to Him. So why are they sinners if they believe in Jesus Christ, you might ask. It turns out that it is not enough to believe in Jesus Christ, one also expected to accept(trust) and obey His teachings/commandments(Truth), which according to Jesus Christ is the only way to become one of His followers/disciples. undecided

To become dead to sin one has to accept (trust) and obey the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ(John 8 ) and all those who are dead to sin and alive in Christ continue even then to accept(trust) and obey the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ - it is the default for all those who are abide in Jesus Christ. undecided

All your efforts/works at accepting(trusting) and obeying the commandments/teachings of Jesus christ are works done to glorify God, not men. This is so because you those works to honor God since it is through our obedience that we honor Him, just like Jesus Christ did when He obeyed the Will of God and commanded that we do as He did. undecided

Rather, works done rejecting the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ, following instead the doctrines and traditions(commandments) of men(even our own ideas) are works done in honor of men since they do not honor God in anyway, nor is He glorified by what amounts to sin against God. undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 9:10pm On Apr 09, 2021
Nuttella:
I went to faith clinic yesterday and a minister in church said "our righteousness is as filthy as rags" to be sincere, I felt somehow, like does it mean God doesn't appreciate the righteousness even when we put our very best, is that what this minister is trying to say?

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue, I now understand, it was Prophet Isaiah's opinion not God. That sentence can be disheartening and discouraging for people that are doing their best to live a righteous life, it could also make people that are unrighteous or not really righteous not to bother living a righteous life since its filthy as rags.
While Isaiah 64 was Isaiah's heart felt cry to God, the contents shared were based on God's Truth... righteousness(good works), birthed of our sins, are filthy rags because of our sins which stains everything, rendering it unacceptable as a sacrifice to God. undecided

No matter how much you do your best, if you are not Holy, your works will remain unacceptable to God. That is why in Jesus Christ, your priority should be to continue accepting(trusting) and obeying the teachings/commandments as laid down by Jesus Christ, before you attempt to do works of righteousness. Become perfect/Holy first -there are only about 50 commandments to work with - then God Himself Will lead you to the doing of works of righteousness , which He will accept since then you will not be able to taint it will any sin(disobedience of His commandments). undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 12:30am On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
If our righteousness is of/from God, we won't need to attain it ourselves. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Philippians 2:13

And let's be scripturally accurate, Isaiah 64:6 specifically said "all our righteousness" and not "all our iniquity". If we think it can't be that simple based on our finite minds, that doesn't mean God's word isn't true.
The statement in Isaiah 64 vs starts by pointing out something important to understanding the meaning in what Isaiah said there, even in that one verse..."We are all as an unclean thing...." . Right there, Isaiah points out in that very same verse the reason for the filth, which is sin(disobedience) - it taints everything including what you consider your righteousness.

Isaiah not only indicates in that same verse the issue(filthy works) but also the reason for filthy state of our works - sin(disobedience). And for those of the New Covenant, Jesus Christ, are provided the very solution to Sin(disobedience) , the solution being that we continue to accept(trust) and obey the teachings\laws of Jesus Christ , for only through doing so can we claim victory over sin and have works untainted in the sight of God. undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by LisaAnneMia: 8:40am On Apr 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
But recall that Job's righteousnesss was not based on the views of these 3 men but God's judgement and nowhere are we told in all 42 chapters that God changed His mind about Job's righteousness. undecided

God declared Job righteous and this for his obedience of God's very commandments since Job did the works commanded him of God(Job 31). Job, quite reasonably too, wanted to understand the reason for his sufferings because he was sure he was following God's commandments in these things and he felt he had a case to make, if only, before God. undecided

His friends however came with their own standards to judge Job and his declarations, not on God's word , but their perception of the man Job, something which God eventually comdemned them for doing. undecided

Job in His attempt to make his case before God commited no sin against God even in His anger -Sin is not arbitrary- it is defined by God's comandments/rules. He simply listed the very things God commanded of him to do , all of which he did, explaining reason he wanted to understand why he was being "punished". undecided

God's response to Job reveals to us that the accusation of self-righteousness holds no ground with God, the one who is judge of these things. And that God commanded an "apology" on behalf of Job from his friends, speaks volumes in this. undecided

God does not penalize people for asking Him questions or wanting answers from Him in order to gain better understanding of things and of situations. He is not a cruel God that He would remove His blessings simply because we question what He is doing to us in order that we may gain better understanding to maybe do better. undecided
Why then did God's tone change from praising Job in the beginning to what it was before chapter 42?
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by LisaAnneMia: 8:44am On Apr 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:

The doing of the works commanded you of God is not what is filthy here but instead your doing of these works while still living as a slave to sin...Sin renders all attempts at doing God's work filthy in the sight of God. :-

Basically, a sinner cannot produce anything pleasing to God. Remember God is holy and He demands that you also be Holy and acceptable before Him.undecided

Same goes for unbelievers who don't believe in God but feel that the idea expressed in the book makes sense. I happen to have met atheists who do works depicted as righteous works in the Bible. I love them for it too but no matter how much they put their hearts it it, the fact is their sacrifice is unacceptable before God, and why? Because it is tainted by their unbelief. undecided

In a similar fashion, the works/sacrifice of sinners are tainted(rendered filthy) by their refusal to accept(trust) and obey the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ , which is disobedience .I.e. sin. undecided

So, in Matthew 7 vs 22 and 23, Jesus Chriat speaks of those who believe in Him -they do their works in His name - but they are sinners and so none of their works matter since they do not belong to Him. So why are they sinners if they believe in Jesus Christ, you might ask. It turns out that it is not enough to believe in Jesus Christ, one also expected to accept(trust) and obey His teachings/commandments(Truth), which according to Jesus Christ is the only way to become one of His followers/disciples. undecided

To become dead to sin one has to accept (trust) and obey the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ(John 8 ) and all those who are dead to sin and alive in Christ continue even then to accept(trust) and obey the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ - it is the default for all those who are abide in Jesus Christ. undecided

All your efforts/works at accepting(trusting) and obeying the commandments/teachings of Jesus christ are works done to glorify God, not men. This is so because you those works to honor God since it is through our obedience that we honor Him, just like Jesus Christ did when He obeyed the Will of God and commanded that we do as He did. undecided

Rather, works done rejecting the teachings/commandments of Jesus Christ, following instead the doctrines and traditions(commandments) of men(even our own ideas) are works done in honor of men since they do not honor God in anyway, nor is He glorified by what amounts to sin against God. undecided
How can someone who doesn't believe in Jesus and who doesn't obey the Commandments like u claim, be filled with the power of God to heal people? Isn't Jesus talking about those who are Believers but who don't have a relationship with Him? Cos He clearly says "I never knew you". How do you then "know" someone if you're not always with that person and acknowledging His presence and talking to Him about everything?
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by LisaAnneMia: 8:46am On Apr 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
The statement in Isaiah 64 vs starts by pointing out something important to understanding the meaning in what Isaiah said there, even in that one verse..."We are all as an unclean thing...." . Right there, Isaiah points out in that very same verse the reason for the filth, which is sin(disobedience) - it taints everything including what you consider your righteousness.

Isaiah not only indicates in that same verse the issue(filthy works) but also the reason for filthy state of our works - sin(disobedience). And for those of the New Covenant, Jesus Christ, are provided the very solution to Sin(disobedience) , the solution being that we continue to accept(trust) and obey the teachings\laws of Jesus Christ , for only through doing so can we claim victory over sin and have works untainted in the sight of God. undecided
Let's be scripturally accurate please. Works is works. Sin is sin. Filthy rags is filthy rags and in that verse, our righteousness is filthy rags. It's exactly how it is written.
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by LisaAnneMia: 8:49am On Apr 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:

God is Holy and He expects holiness from us like you said. God doesn't break one rule from His laws and say "oh I'm sorry, I won't do that again" and continue. It's exactly how He is He expects us to be. Which means nobody in this world can perfectly keep the laws without making mistakes. If u think when you sin you can easily change and be right again, doesn't that show you're sacrificing Jesus all over again? Cos when you break a law in the past, you'll need to sacrifice an animal to be righteous again. So I'm asking you Kobojunkie cos God is Holy and perfect and He wants us to be too, when you break a law and sin, who becomes your sacrifice again?
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by perezeghi: 10:53am On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
God is Holy and He expects holiness from us like you said. God doesn't break one rule from His laws and say "oh I'm sorry, I won't do that again" and continue. It's exactly how He is He expects us to be. Which means nobody in this world can perfectly keep the laws without making mistakes . If u think when you sin you can easily change and be right again, doesn't that show you're sacrificing Jesus all over again? Cos when you break a law in the past, you'll need to sacrifice an animal to be righteous again. So I'm asking you Kobojunkie cos God is Holy and perfect and He wants us to be too, when you break a law and sin, who becomes your sacrifice again?

With respect to the bolded....Yes, we all can.
It seems hard but it can be done.

Christ told Peter...... you're not mindful of the things of God.

Matt.16.24 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me

Completely understanding the bold is one of the foundational steps of having the mindset of Christ Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by LisaAnneMia: 11:21am On Apr 10, 2021
perezeghi:

With respect to the bolded....Yes, we all can.
It seems hard but it can be done.

Christ told Peter...... you're not mindful of the things of God.

Matt.16.24 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me

Completely understanding the bold is one of the foundational steps of having the mindset of Christ Jesus.

I know it's hard that's why I said no one can. Or have you kept them since you were a Christian without breaking one?
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 2:48pm On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
Why then did God's tone change from praising Job in the beginning to what it was before chapter 42?
God didn't praise Job in His response to Job, so I don't know what you mean by God's "tone" changing towards Job. undecided
And God's answer to Job begining in Job 41 was essentially a reminder for Job of who God(The creator) is in relation to Job(the created). undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 2:55pm On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
How can someone who doesn't believe in Jesus and who doesn't obey the Commandments like u claim, be filled with the power of God to heal people? Isn't Jesus talking about those who are Believers but who don't have a relationship with Him? Cos He clearly says "I never knew you". How do you then "know" someone if you're not always with that person and acknowledging His presence and talking to Him about everything?

* Sinners are believers who refuse to accept and obey the commandments of Jesus Christ

* unbelievers are those who do not believe in God at all and so are not under His Law - the Law defines what sin is - but are instead condemned to Death(perish in the grave).

So, as I said, in Matthew 7, Jesus was referring to believers who were sinners(living in disobedience) who as a result belong to their father, the devil and not to Him, Jesus Christ - Read John 8. undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 3:00pm On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
Let's be scripturally accurate please. Works is works. Sin is sin. Filthy rags is filthy rags and in that verse, our righteousness is filthy rags. It's exactly how it is written.
Scriptural accuracy would amount in this case to considering the entire statement made and not just a piece of it

Isaiah 64 vs 6

6. .We are all dirty with sin
Even our good works are not pure.
They are like bloodstained rags.
We are all like dead leaves.
Our sins have carried us away like wind.

And if you opened to the verse yourself you will see that from within it's very context, you are told that sin is the reason for the filth that is our righteousness. undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
God is Holy and He expects holiness from us like you said. God doesn't break one rule from His laws and say "oh I'm sorry, I won't do that again" and continue. It's exactly how He is He expects us to be. Which means nobody in this world can perfectly keep the laws without making mistakes. If u think when you sin you can easily change and be right again, doesn't that show you're sacrificing Jesus all over again? Cos when you break a law in the past, you'll need to sacrifice an animal to be righteous again. So I'm asking you Kobojunkie cos God is Holy and perfect and He wants us to be too, when you break a law and sin, who becomes your sacrifice again?
I see jumping to illogical conclusions is a thing for you. undecided

I don't know how you arrived at your claim that nobody in the world can keep the laws without making mistakes, unless you have carefully examined everybody in the world for that. The good thing about the New Covenant, Jesus Christ, is that this agreement is not between God and men(groups) but between God and individual man - You are called to honor only your own contract and your own contract alone, not base it or anything else on what others do in theirs. I say this to mean we are each meant to focus on attention in the standard, Jesus Christ and doing as He did, not as other men did. undecided

There is no such thing as "sacrificing Jesus Christ again" That is a man imagined idea that has no bearing on reality. When Peter failed, he beat himself up for it. But when Jesus Christ showed up, Jesus did not make a big deal of it. He simply forgave Peter the three times he failed, commanding he, Peter, continue on doing the works he has before him. undecided

Not all laws in the past required the offering of a sacrifice even in the past - it is inaccurate to claim so. You have to examine each law to know which in fact required a sacrifice and those that came with other stipulations. undecided

As for sacrifice in the New Covenant, did Jesus Christ tell you that a sacrifice is needed everytime you sin? If He never indicated that a sacrifice is needed for every sin( - nowhere in His teachings do you find such stated - why do you believe and trust in such ideas? undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by perezeghi: 4:41pm On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
I know it's hard that's why I said no one can. Or have you kept them since you were a Christian without breaking one?

I'm getting to that point soon by God's grace and by His mercy .

1 Like

Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 4:51pm On Apr 10, 2021
perezeghi:

I'm getting to that point soon by God's grace and by His mercy .
Soon? undecided
How are you working it out? undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 4:55pm On Apr 10, 2021
LisaAnneMia:
It is actually not impossible... the disciples did it, thay is why they were able to recieve the Spirit of God - only those who attain it will the Spirit of God live inside of. undecided

If the almost 120, who on the day of pentecost the Spirit of God came down upon, could do it, why can't anyone else? Why can't you do what they were able to do? undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by perezeghi: 8:48pm On Apr 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Soon? undecided
How are you working it out? undecided

When you come to the proper understanding of the Scripture with a sincere heart with no doubts and biased views you'll see the mind of Christ Jesus imprinted into yours.
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 8:52pm On Apr 10, 2021
perezeghi:

When you come to the proper understanding of the Scripture with a sincere heart with no doubts and biased views you'll see the mind of Christ Jesus imprinted into yours.
huh? undecided

From what I know of the teachings of Jesus Christ, the way is by a continued acceptance(trusting) and obeying the teaching/laws (Truth) of Jesus Christ written of in John 8. Is this what you mean? lipsrsealed
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:16pm On Apr 10, 2021
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by perezeghi: 10:10pm On Apr 10, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
huh? undecided

From what I know of the teachings of Jesus Christ, the way is by a continued acceptance(trusting) and obeying the teaching/laws (Truth) of Jesus Christ written of in John 8. Is this what you mean? lipsrsealed

No I don't think so.
Just curious about your choice of words and usage.............do you base your trusting/acceptance on the teaching of Christ Jesus as written in the New Testament alone ( that's you're selective of what you believe as written in the Holy Book) or ..............
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 10:29pm On Apr 10, 2021
perezeghi:

No I don't think so.
Just curious about your choice of words and usage.............do you base your trusting/acceptance on the teaching of Christ Jesus as written in the New Testament alone ( that's you're selective of what you believe as written in the Holy Book) or ..............
Jesus Christ is the New Covenant Law of the Kingdom of God promised by God through His prophets of Old. undecided

Like the Old Covenant Law of Moses, all those who believe in Him, Jesus Christ, are expected to trust in Him and obey His teachinga/laws only. undecided

Unlike the Old Covenant agreement which was instead a contract between God and the people of Israel as Law for the land of Canaan, the New Covenant, Jesus Christ, is an agreement between God and individual man , the Law of the Kingdom of God. undecided

The details of the Law, the teachings and life of Jesus Christ (He is the embodiment of the Law) are found written of in the 4 Gospels(Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). This Law defines for those who follow Him that which is sin, but His yoke(about 50 or so commandments) is easy and His burden(you carry your own cross daily) is easy. undecided

As for being selective of what I believe.... well, I don't believe the Bible is Holy, nor is it inerrant - nothing that is put together by the hands of man is holy or inerrant. undecided

As for what is inspired, well we are told by God, through His prophets that all Knowledge of both good and evil belongs to God - not man. So it follows that since it all belongs to God, it is all then inspired of by God as well. What that means is that even every book is inspired by God, not just scripture.

Also the Bible contains the words of God but itself is not the Word of God. That title belongs to Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ alone. In scripture, you find written the words of God as well as the word of men, and even those of Satan and demons. So the book is not what is meant as the word of God even though millions are deceived into believing it is. undecided

So can you explain to me what you mean when you say you will go about getting the mind of Jesus Christ to imprint on you, freeing you from slavery to sin? undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by FarmTech(m): 11:14pm On Apr 10, 2021
There is God's righteousness and man's righteousness.

Rom.10.3 - For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.
It is man's righteousness that is a filthy rag before God. God's righteousness says: "believe in Christ and he will give u the power to live above sin". But man's righteousness will say: " I believe in Christ! But I still love some sins". Finally, let every believer be encouraged by:
1 John 3:7
Amplified Bible
Little children (believers, dear ones), do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who practices righteousness [the one who strives to live a consistently honorable life—in private as well as in public—and to conform to God’s precepts] is righteous, just as He is righteous.
Despite the above verse, some "sinner Christians" will still say no one is righteous. They mistake righteousness with perfection.
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 11:23pm On Apr 10, 2021
FarmTech:

Rom.10.3 - For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.
It is man's righteousness that is a filthy rag before God. God's righteousness says: "believe in Christ and he will give u the power to live above sin". But man's righteousness will say: " I believe in Christ! But I still love some sins". Finally, let every believer be encouraged by:
Amplified Bible
Little children (believers, dear ones), do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who practices righteousness [the one who strives to live a consistently honorable life—in private as well as in public—and to conform to God’s precepts] is righteous, just as He is righteous.
Despite the above verse, some "sinner Christians" will still say no one is righteous. They mistake righteousness with perfection.
Perfection is expected to take place before righteousness so your righteousness is not stained by your imperfections..that is what Isaiah 64 is also saying.

In John 8, Jesus Christ details how those who believe in Him can attain perfection/holiness without which no man can see God. undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by perezeghi: 6:29am On Apr 11, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Jesus Christ is the New Covenant Law of the Kingdom of God promised by God through His prophets of Old. undecided

Like the Old Covenant Law of Moses, all those who believe in Him, Jesus Christ, are expected to trust in Him and obey His teachinga/laws only. undecided

Unlike the Old Covenant agreement which was instead a contract between God and the people of Israel as Law for the land of Canaan, the New Covenant, Jesus Christ, is an agreement between God and individual man , the Law of the Kingdom of God. undecided

The details of the Law, the teachings and life of Jesus Christ (He is the embodiment of the Law) are found written of in the 4 Gospels(Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). This Law defines for those who follow Him that which is sin, but His yoke(about 50 or so commandments) is easy and His burden(you carry your own cross daily) is easy. undecided

As for being selective of what I believe.... well, I don't believe the Bible is Holy, nor is it inerrant - nothing that is put together by the hands of man is holy or inerrant. undecided

As for what is inspired, well we are told by God, through His prophets that all Knowledge of both good and evil belongs to God - not man. So it follows that since it all belongs to God, it is all then inspired of by God as well. What that means is that even every book is inspired by God, not just scripture.

Also the Bible contains the words of God but itself is not the Word of God. That title belongs to Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ alone. In scripture, you find written the words of God as well as the word of men, and even those of Satan and demons. So the book is not what is meant as the word of God even though millions are deceived into believing it is. undecided

So can you explain to me what you mean when you say you will go about getting the mind of Jesus Christ to imprint on you, freeing you from slavery to sin? undecided

Your above explanation is the reason why you'll not be understanding the Scripture.

Mark.4.20 - But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred."
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by Kobojunkiee: 6:33am On Apr 11, 2021
perezeghi:

Your above explanation is the reason why you'll not be understanding the Scripture.

Mark.4.20 - But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred."
What makes you think that I will not understand scripture from what I have said so far of it? undecided

I do hear the Word(Jesus Christ) and accept Him(trust), so why are you quick to conclude that I am not currently bearing fruit as I hear(accept) and do(obey) the Word(Jesus Christ)? undecided

And I will ask again... can you explain to me what you mean when you say you will go about getting the mind of Jesus Christ to imprint on you, freeing you from slavery to sin? undecided undecided
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by perezeghi: 6:39am On Apr 11, 2021
FarmTech:

Amplified Bible

Nice one.
The bolded is a continuous tense. There's a reason why it is imputed like that.

It's that continuity that leads to perfection. It's not a back and forth or forth and back thing.
Re: Was The Righteousness Of Job As Filthy Rags Before God? by perezeghi: 6:07pm On Apr 11, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
What makes you think that I will not understand scripture from what I have said so far of it? undecided

I do hear the Word(Jesus Christ) and accept Him(trust), so why are you quick to conclude that I am not currently bearing fruit as I hear(accept) and do(obey) the Word(Jesus Christ)? undecided

And I will ask again... can you explain to me what you mean when you say you will go about getting the mind of Jesus Christ to imprint on you, freeing you from slavery to sin? undecided undecided

It's not for me to explain to you but for you to seek out Christ Jesus to grant it to you. Desire Him sincerely and He will make it known to you.

It's as simple as that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: Why We Transferred Father Mbaka — Catholic Church (2016) / Do You Ever Bother About What People Thinks About You? / Christians If There Were No Heaven Or Hell Would You Believe In God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.