Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,147 members, 7,845,798 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives (37813 Views)

Is It Sin For Man To Have Sex Together With His Two Wives?- Man Asks Daddyfreeze / Why Do Many Christians See Drinking As Sin When It Is In The Bible? / Is It A Sin To Drop Empty Envelope In Offering Box? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:35pm On Apr 18, 2021
Janosky:

Matthew 19
New Living Translation
Discussion about Divorce and Marriage

19 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went down to the region of Judea east of the Jordan River. 2 Large crowds followed him there, and he healed their sick.

3 Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife for just any reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female.’[a]” 5 And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’[b] 6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together"

God joined one man and one woman as husband and wife.
NOT one man two wives, or one woman four husbands. Etc
grin grin

For the fact that you kept bringing the divorce question of the Pharisees, you've proved nothing.
They ask can a man divorce his wife for any reasons?

You expect Jesus to yes or what?
Even me myself would not say yes.
He told them they should not divorce their wife simple.
If the Pharisees had asked should a man divorce his wives for any reason.
Jesus would actually say no to divorcing of wives because they've become one also.

Don't go beyond context. Point to me where the question asked refer to polygamy and stop using divorce question to answer polygamy question.
Common sense is not rocket science
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by trevorhorace(m): 11:36pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Mandated by whom? God? undecided

Yes sir. 1tim 3: 2
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 11:39pm On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

Don't go beyond context. Point to me where the question asked refer to polygamy and stop using divorce question to answer polygamy question.
I am afraid it is not that simple either. Jesus Christ did not state a lly of things..... I mean He only gave us about 50-something commandments but from even those He said a lot. undecided

For example, consider the issue of sexual sins. There are those out there who believe that so long as they do not act on their sexual fantasies/lust, no sin has been committed. Some of those who belong in this group are all too ready to lampoon others who they label fornicators, adulterers, homosexuals, all according to old covenant ideas. undecided

However, what many do not realize is that Jesus Christ declared that instead of the old laws that define sexual sins, His Law decrees instead that Lust, that desire that burns in one's heart long before the act is committed , is instead what is sin and what the sinner will be judged for. undecided

Jesus Christ, by this, pointed out that sin, disobedience, is committed not when one acts out one's intention, but instead when that intention is first birthed in one's heart. undecided

I don't know if you get what I am trying to say which is that, it is not that Jesus Christ must specifically state that polygamy is a sin for it to be known as such. Rather we are also to judge the intention behind the act - if born of disobedience then it is sin, regardless of the act itself. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 11:41pm On Apr 18, 2021
trevorhorace:

Yes sir. 1tim 3: 2
I know what Paul wrote in His letter to Timothy but Paul is not God and last I checked, God said that He alone is Shepherd over His own sheep.
This He declared in Ezekiel 34, and again in John 10. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:43pm On Apr 18, 2021
Ammishaddai:
You just love blind arguments oga. The scripture is super clear on this matter, and I will quote the words of Jesus for you to read so you can end your online foolishness :

This passage from Mark 10 is at the heart of all Christian teaching on marriage and divorce:

1He left that place and went to the region of Judea and beyond the Jordan. And crowds again gathered around him; and, as was his custom, he again taught them. 2 Some Pharisees came, and to test him they asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?" 3 He answered them, "What did Moses command you?" 4 They said, "Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of dismissal and to divorce her." 5 But Jesus said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart he wrote this commandment for you. 6 But from the beginning of creation, "God made them male and female.' 7 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 8 and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." 10 Then in the house the disciples asked him again about this matter. 11 He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her; 12 and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery."

Points to note :

1. Jesus said the two shall become one flesh (v7-cool. Not three or more.

2. Once a man is married to one wife, he cannot marry another because that overrules point one and goes against Jesus command in verses 11&12.

Conclusion : You can choose to continue your blind argument but only a fool will engage you in it. Since it is obvious that Jesus has told us what he thinks about marrying more than one wife.

For the fact that you kept bringing the divorce question of the Pharisees, you've proved nothing.

Jesus would actually say no to divorcing of wives because they've become one also.

We all knew it was meant to be a man and a woman from the beginning , that does not make divorce question answer polygamy biblical stand.
All verses are just divorce questions.
If you don't have any on polygamy stop expanding your knowledge , thats not what the teaching of Christ say. Marry one wife is good and advisable, marrying two is not sin but divorce is adultery. These things are not hard to understand but you choose to add your own context .
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:48pm On Apr 18, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I am afraid it is not that simple either. Jesus Christ did not state a lly of things..... I mean He only gave us about 50-something commandments but from even those He said a lot. undecided

For example, consider the issue of sexual sins. There are those out there who believe that so long as they do not act on their sexual fantasies/lust, no sin has been committed. Some of those who belong in this group are all too ready to lampoon others who they label fornicators, adulterers, homosexuals, all according to old covenant ideas. However, what many do not realize is that Jesus Christ declared that instead of the old laws that define sexual sins, His Law decrees instead that Lust, that desire that burns in one's heart, long before the act is committed , is instead what is sin, and what the sinner will be judged for. Pointing out that sin, disobedience, is committed not when one acts out one's intention, but instead when that intention is first birther in one's heart. undecided

I don't know if you get what I am trying to say which is that it is not that Jesus Christ must specifically state that polygamy is a sin,before we understand it a sin, the intentions behind the act, if born of disobedience, is sin, regardless of the act itself. undecided
You have a valid argument that worth considering from this angle.

You know the bible says what a thinks so his he. That is why the lust from the heart is already a sin. You have a valid point different from what others has been posting tho.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Ammishaddai: 11:48pm On Apr 18, 2021
Lagoon0:

We all knew it was meant to be a man and a woman from the beginning , that does not make divorce question answer polygamy biblical stand.
All verses are just divorce questions.
If you don't have any on polygamy stop expanding your knowledge , thats not what the teaching of Christ say. Marry one wife is good and advisable, marrying two is not sin but divorce is adultery. These things are not hard to understand but you choose to add your own context .
So Jesus never spoke about marriage is that what you're saying? Please tell us how far this ignorance of your goes
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 19, 2021
peteregwu:

The word polygamy was not used in the bible. But more than one wife is polygamy in the our modern term.

As per the question the Jews ere asking jesus was based in divorce. And if the divorce comes in between couples, of course they are bound to marry another wife or husband or even keep messing with side chicks.

Mark 10:2 "And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. 10:3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? 10:4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. 10:5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."

A smoker, who claimed to be a chtistian once told me that there is nothing wrong with smoking. I told him it's a sin and it would lead him hell if he doesn't repent and forsake it. He is reply was that smoking was not in the bible, so nothing was wrong with it. No matter how one preaches the truth, human beings live evil and they will always find excuse to fall back or incline unto it.

The question the Pharisees asked what very clear:
Matt 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

What remotely indicates polygamy in that question?

Your "smoker" analogy goes up in smoke here when you realise many righteous men in the old testament (including David, a man after God's heart) were polygamous, and God for once never complained about their polygamy (except if I'm missing something). I as a person don't like polygamy, but I don't read my "righteousness" into the Bible like you guys love doing.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 7:46am On Apr 19, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

The question the Pharisees asked what very clear:
Matt 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

What remotely indicates polygamy in that question?

Your "smoker" analogy goes up in smoke here when you realise many righteous men in the old testament (including David, a man after God's heart) were polygamous, and God for once never complained about their polygamy (except if I'm missing something). I as a person don't like polygamy, but I don't read my "righteousness" into the Bible like you guys love doing.
Thats just what I'm trying to say. From old testament to new testament polygamy has never been condemned even though its meant to be a man and a woman from the beginning of times.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 8:47am On Apr 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I am afraid you are mistaken... Jesus Christ never said that the fruits He referred to their has anything to do with the book you call your Bible today. That book did not eve exist until about 400 year ago. undecided

The fruits He spoke of instead has to do with the Word of God which He, Jesus Christ, told you is "...every Word out of God's mouth", not to be mistaken with every word written in the book you call your Bible. The fruits of the followers of Jesus Christ is seen through the righteousness of God that is expressed in their very existence... just as it was in the person of Jesus Christ. undecided

I don't disagree with Jesus Christ. What is contention here remains your interpretation of what Jesus Christ said. undecided

Mr, you are not a Christian na. Why are you bothering yourself? All u will do is to keep arguing because it doesn't suit your lifestyle.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 8:52am On Apr 19, 2021
Lagoon0:

You are not also a Christian. Why do you guys keep troubling yourself. Even the devil was an angel of God before whikenin heaven and he got tired of the rules and regulations in heaven, he rebelled and was sent out of heaven into the earth. Its not by force to believe in what Jesus or the Bible says.

If you want to marry 20 or divorce your wife and marry another, no one is holding you. After all we have other religions that is lawful for them to marry 4 wives. Go ahead and join them. Haba! No be force to believe the bible or Jesus. Na waoo... Waiting Peter no go see for nairaland.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 8:57am On Apr 19, 2021
peteregwu:

Mr, you are not a Christian na. Why are you bothering yourself? All u will do is to keep arguing because it doesn't suit your lifestyle.
Jesus Christ never instructed you to trust in and obey the book you call the Bible, but instead He instructed that you trust in and obey His teachings, the very Gospel of the Kingdom of God. undecided

The good thing is Jesus Christ is the good Shepherd and He alone knows those who belong to Him. undecided

That said, can we get back to the topic at hand then? Where were we? Oh, yes, we were trying to figure out of God in fact recommended only one man to one woman or one woman to one man ...
Kobojunkiee:
So, you're suggesting that the same man cannot by that same law cleave to another woman and become one with that other woman as well? undecided

Or the other way, the first woman cannot, by the very same law, cleave to another man and become one with that other man as well? undecided
Given that Jesus Christ declared that your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom, we need also rid ourselves of all abominable notions of holiness of marriage, lies popularly peddled by false teachers and false prophets out there. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 9:07am On Apr 19, 2021
The question is where in the bible and not where in the quran or other religious book. Some people dey vex because they have side chick, divorced or with another woman or even planing to marry more, that's why they will keep arguing about one wife and one husband doctrine of Christ. grin

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:09am On Apr 19, 2021
peteregwu:
The question is where in the bible and not where in the quran or other religious book. Some people dey vex because they have side chick, divorced or with another woman or even planing to marry more, that's why they will keep arguing about one wife and one husband doctrine of Christ. grin
I have none of those, and yet I will never disobey God by attempting to add my doctrines to His Law where He declares that those who do are against Him. undecided

It really that simple. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 9:39am On Apr 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I have none of those, and yet I will never disobey God by attempting to add my doctrines to His Law where He declares that those who do are against Him. undecided

It really that simple. undecided

One wife and one husband is Christ doctrine. Know it and have peace.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:48am On Apr 19, 2021
peteregwu:

One wife and one husband is Christ doctrine. Know it and have peace.
This according to you, right? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 11:08am On Apr 19, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
This according to you, right? undecided

Nope! The bible and Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by gideonjeta(m): 1:27pm On Apr 19, 2021
Op... Jehovah God does not approve of polygamy but he permitted it for a while during the days of the Israelites. The standard God set in Eden with the first marriage was that of monogamy. Jesus Christ later reaffirmed that standard for his followers.​—(Genesis 2:18-24; Matthew 19:4-6.). God tolerated it for a limited time, while strictly regulating it to prevent abuses. (Exodus 21:10, 11; Deuteronomy 21:15-17) When Jehovah chose to end the practice of polygamy among his worshippers, he used his own Son to reaffirm the marital standard set in Eden. Jesus thus forbade polygamy among his followers. (Mark 10:8 ) Then, this truth became even clearer: The Law of Moses was fine in its time, but “the law of the Christ” is even better.​—Galatians 6:2.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2021
peteregwu:

You are not also a Christian. Why do you guys keep troubling yourself. Even the devil was an angel of God before whikenin heaven and he got tired of the rules and regulations in heaven, he rebelled and was sent out of heaven into the earth. Its not by force to believe in what Jesus or the Bible says.

If you want to marry 20 or divorce your wife and marry another, no one is holding you. After all we have other religions that is lawful for them to marry 4 wives. Go ahead and join them. Haba! No be force to believe the bible or Jesus. Na waoo... Waiting Peter no go see for nairaland.
Don't condemned what Jesus never condemned. Jesus condemned divorce not polygamy you're just an extremist . extremist are blind to fact and feel they always holy and truthful
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Janosky: 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2021
Lagoon0:

Bros, remove your preconceived ideas and study your Bible with open heart and mind.

Matthew 19:4-6.. verse by verse analysis.

4 “Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female.’

* Jesus says "God created male & female".
God did not create one man many females.
Bros, Shey you understand?

5 And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’

** Jesus says a man is joined to his wife.
NOT his wives.
Bros, Shey you understand?

6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together"

Bros, in verse 6, how many man and woman did God joined together?

Jesus christ did NOT command polygamy.

Matthew 28:20, "teaching them to OBEY ALL THE THINGS I commanded you".
1 Corinthians 7:2 the same teaching of one man one wife.
One man one wife. NOT polygamy.

Shalom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 11:55pm On Apr 19, 2021
Lagoon0:

Don't condemned what Jesus never condemned. Jesus condemned divorce not polygamy you're just an extremist . extremist are blind to fact and feel they always holy and truthful

You should have told me that you want to marry more than one na? grin
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 5:51am On Apr 20, 2021
cheesy and I'm not a sinner
peteregwu:

You should have told me that you want to marry more than one na? grin
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 7:23am On Apr 20, 2021
Lagoon0:
cheesy and I'm not a sinner

Make sure you have truly given your life to jesus. This is no joke. God's judgement is real.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 8:00am On Apr 20, 2021
peteregwu:

Make sure you have truly given your life to jesus. This is no joke. God's judgement is real.
Yes of course two wife is not polygamy and the three of us understand ourselves very well.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 8:44am On Apr 20, 2021
Lagoon0:

Yes of course two wife is not polygamy and the three of us understand ourselves very well.

So you have two wives?
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 2:43pm On Apr 20, 2021
peteregwu:

So you have two wives?
Any problem
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:06pm On Apr 20, 2021
Lagoon0:

If two wives is not a sin, do be as understanding if one of your wives decides she wants two husbands, since by the same token, she can also declare that. grin
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by OkCornel(m): 11:02pm On Apr 20, 2021
So when Prophet Nathan was sent by God to rebuke David, did God condemn polygamy there hmmm?

2 Samuel 12 v 7-8;

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul.

8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

Was God encouraging David to commit adultery? since some people’s understanding is faulty enough to conclude polygamy is also adultery. David was condemned for going after another man’s wife (Bathsheba the wife of Uriah) and not for marrying multiple wives! God even promised him more if they were not enough.... Instead of going after another man’s wife

I also wonder if the children of Bilhah and Zilpah (Jacob’s concubines) were illegitimate children and fruits of adultery in the sight of God. Why do we have 12 tribes of Israel? Instead of just Rachel and Leah’s children making up the tribes cheesy

Make una study scriptures and research properly ooo.

Cc: Lagoon0
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 11:26pm On Apr 20, 2021
OkCornel:
So when Prophet Nathan was sent by God to rebuke David, did God condemn polygamy there hmmm?

2 Samuel 12 v 7-8;

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul.

8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

Was God encouraging David to commit adultery? since some people’s understanding is faulty enough to conclude polygamy is also adultery. David was condemned for going after another man’s wife (Bathsheba the wife of Uriah) and not for marrying multiple wives! God even promised him more if they were not enough.... Instead of going after another man’s wife

I also wonder if the children of Bilhah and Zilpah (Jacob’s concubines) were illegitimate children and fruits of adultery in the sight of God. Why do we have 12 tribes of Israel? Instead of just Rachel and Leah’s children making up the tribes cheesy

I agree... God condemns adultery but not polygamy, it seems, and this from examples of men like Abraham, Jacob, among others - Not a single instance I have found of God condemning polygamy but one need not look hard to find numerous instances of God condemning adultery though. undecided

And like I said, it is also possible, by the same token, that God is also not against women marrying more than one husband either. undecided

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:39pm On Apr 20, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I agree... God condemns adultery but not polygamy, it seems, and this from examples of men like Abraham, Jacob, among others - Not a single instance I have found of God condemning polygamy but one need not look hard to find numerous instances of God condemning adultery though. undecided

And like I said, it is also possible, by the same token, that God is also not against women marrying more than one husband either. undecided
from the beginning of time men go to seek for ladies hand in marriage not otherwise.
Tell me where in the bible did a lady seek for a mans hand in marriage?

Forget today feminism and others, that line you're towing holds no water

Man heads and decide the fate of marriage not woman
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:43pm On Apr 20, 2021
OkCornel:

2 Samuel 12 v 7-8;

People don't really understand what they're reading , Jesus was challenged about the laws of moses and he told them the laws of moses still stands but he came for fulfilment of it.
I guess thats were many christian get confused and start condemning what Christ never condemned

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 11:59pm On Apr 20, 2021
Lagoon0:
from the beginning of time men go to seek for ladies hand in marriage not otherwise.
Tell me where in the bible did a lady seek for a mans hand in marriage?
Forget today feminism and others, that line you're towing holds no water
Man heads and decide the fate of marriage not woman
I am not talking of feminism, nor am I discussing Bible times. I am simply stating what one ought also to accept even as one threads these paths. undecided

Polygamy, be it the marriage of one woman to many men is as valid as the marriage of one man and many men, by the same token. And those who stand in support of the idea ought to support both cases for it would a sin to deny others that which you claim for your own self. undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Missing Child From Winners Church Found Two Years After / Daysman Oyakhilome Bags Nelson Mandela Leadership Awards (Photos) / Should We Start Taking TB Joshua Seriously?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.