Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,457 members, 7,843,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives (37713 Views)

Is It Sin For Man To Have Sex Together With His Two Wives?- Man Asks Daddyfreeze / Why Do Many Christians See Drinking As Sin When It Is In The Bible? / Is It A Sin To Drop Empty Envelope In Offering Box? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 6:10am On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I am not talking of feminism, nor am I discussing Bible times. I am simply stating what one ought also to accept even as one threads these paths. undecided

Polygamy, be it the marriage of one woman to many men is as valid as the marriage of one man and many men, by the same token. And those who stand in support of the idea ought to support both cases for it would a sin to deny others that which you claim for your own self. undecided
Your argument is baseless from the beginning of times in the bible till date , a king or man can have wives and concubine , ladies with multiple sex partner are seen as prostitute by the bible.

Are you trying to say God has been bias towards women?
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:13am On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

Your argument is baseless from the beginning of times in the bible till date , a king or man can have wives and concubine , ladies with multiple sex partner are seen as prostitute by the bible.

Are you trying to say God has been bias towards women?
And herein lies the problem. You are willing to believe God is not against a man marrying more than one wife, you are unwilling to believe that the very same God also allows for a woman to marry more than 1 husband, suddenly placing the views of men above God's Word. undecided

Even in bible times, male prostitution was not unheard of, so I am not certain if you are suddenly trying to feign ignorance so as to hide your close-mindedness there. undecided

By the way, a king with concubines is an adulterer by God's standards. So do not try to let thy one skate by here. undecided

Also, God is not biased against women that is the very reason He would allow even women marry for themselves more than one husband by the same token that He would let a man marry more than one wife. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 7:52am On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
And herein lies the problem. You are willing to believe God is not against a man marrying more than one wife, you are unwilling to believe that the very same God also allows for a woman to marry more than 1 husband, suddenly placing the views of men above God's Word. undecided

Even in bible times, male prostitution was not unheard of, so I am not certain if you are suddenly trying to feign ignorance so as to hide your close-mindedness there. undecided

By the way, a king with concubines is an adulterer by God's standards. So do not try to let thy one skate by here. undecided

Also, God is not biased against women that is the very reason He would allow even women marry for themselves more than one husband by the same token that He would let a man marry more than one wife. undecided

@bolded what chapter of the king James version did God prove this your standard
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 8:04am On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

King James version? God's Laws and their declarations have nothing to do with your Bible versions. undecided

God is God of Laws where His Laws serve at the standard as far as what is acceptable and what is not. There are about 7 Covenants/Laws spoken of in the Bible -we have the details of the 2 major Laws for to help up live the standard God has set for His own. undecided

The Old Covenant Law of is defined in the Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy combined, whereas the New Covenant Law thatis Jesus Christ is found written of in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Both Laws exist separate from each other and are presented to different peoples but they are God's Laws nonetheless, and in them, you find that which is sin declared and defined. undecided

In the Old Covenant, we know it is listed that adultery is listed as sin, meaning any sexual relationship outside of a marriage is sin. undecided

In the New Covenant, we learn instead that lust, the covering of that which is not yours to have or desire is recorded as sin even before any sexual act is committed. Jesus Christ also declares that adultery is instead divorcing a spouse for any reason other than fornication. undecided

So, look beyond your Bible translations and to God's Law where sin which is disobedience, is concerned. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 8:23am On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
King James version? God's Laws and their declarations have nothing to do with your Bible versions. undecided

God is God of Laws where His Laws serve at the standard as far as what is acceptable and what is not. There are about 7 Covenants/Laws spoken of in the Bible -we have the details of the 2 major Laws for to help up live the standard God has set for His own. undecided

The Old Covenant Law of is defined in the Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy combined, whereas the New Covenant Law thatis Jesus Christ is found written of in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Both Laws exist separate from each other and are presented to different peoples but they are God's Laws nonetheless, and in them, you find that which is sin declared and defined. undecided

In the Old Covenant, we know it is listed that adultery is listed as sin, meaning any sexual relationship outside of a marriage is sin. undecided

In the New Covenant, we learn instead that lust, the covering of that which is not yours to have or desire is recorded as sin even before any sexual act is committed. Jesus Christ also declares that adultery is instead divorcing a spouse for any reason other than fornication. undecided

So, look beyond your Bible translations and to God's Law where sin which is disobedience, is concerned. undecided
Instead of long philosophy , show me the bible verse where @ your bolded was stated by God standard in the bible.
Your philosophy is driven by devoted emotions
Kobojunkiee:

By the way, a king with concubines is an adulterer by God's standards. So do not try to let thy one skate by here.

Lagoon0:

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:01am On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

Instead of long philosophy , show me the bible verse where @ your bolded was stated by God standard in the bible.
Your philosophy is driven by devoted emotions

Emotions? None of that here... I am strictlyfor adhering to standards as set by God Himself for us undecided

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh. on a woman to lust after her hath committed. adultery with her already in his heart"(New Covenant Standard) undecided

"But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving. for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery:"(New Covenant Standard) undecided

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 9:41am On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

Any problem

I am just asking na. Is it a bad thing to also ask question ni? cheesy
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 11:56am On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Emotions? None of that here... I am strictlyfor adhering to standards as set by God Himself for us undecided

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh. on a woman to lust after her hath committed. adultery with her already in his heart"(New Covenant Standard) undecided

"But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving. for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery:"(New Covenant Standard) undecided
Youve not listed the verse the bible regard king and concubine as adultery , you're recycling criptures based on the teaching against divorce.

Don't take us backward. Is that how you read your bible and understand? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 2:39pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

Youve not listed the verse the bible regard king and concubine as adultery , you're recycling criptures based on the teaching against divorce.

Don't take us backward. Is that how you read your bible and understand? undecided
LOL... I am afraid you are under some kind of delusion there. There are no separate rules for kings or nobilities where sin is concerned. It is the same Law that applies to all men. Recall, where sin is concerned, God is an impartial God seeing all men as equals. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 2:43pm On Apr 21, 2021
Guys are so scared now. They get themselves wives, bowing fully well, they are in adultery already, now looking for a way to console themselves by contradicting the bible that where in the bible is written that polygamy is sin. Keep your adultery and ride on your wives. But on the day Uig you drop dead, your eyes would be clear, then you will realise that it was the same God stopped a whole moses that he loves from entering the land of canaan because of sin of anger and disobedience to his word. U think God is like your politicians? I rest!

John 12:48 KJV
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Jman24(m): 4:46pm On Apr 21, 2021
peteregwu:
Guys are so scared now. They get themselves wives, bowing fully well, they are in adultery already, now looking for a way to console themselves by contradicting the bible that where in the bible is written that polygamy is sin. Keep your adultery and ride on your wives. But on the day Uig you drop dead, your eyes would be clear, then you will realise that it was the same God stopped a whole moses that he loves from entering the land of canaan because of sin of anger and disobedience to his word. U think God is like your politicians? I rest!

John 12:48 KJV
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

You guys are just like philosophers in the good book. The question is this; where in the Bible was it mentioned that marrying more than one wife is sin. We have seen in the good book where things like lust, adultery, lies, etc are categorized as sin expressly for you to see
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Jman24(m): 4:52pm On Apr 21, 2021
Janosky:

Matthew 19
New Living Translation
Discussion about Divorce and Marriage

19 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went down to the region of Judea east of the Jordan River. 2 Large crowds followed him there, and he healed their sick.

3 Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife for just any reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female.’[a]” 5 And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’[b] 6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together"

God joined one man and one woman as husband and wife.
NOT one man two wives, or one woman four husbands. Etc
grin grin

English is still a problem in Africa. Well 'no be our mother tongue' grin

The question is "can a man divorce his wife...?" The question wasn't "can a man marry more than one wife?"

There is nothing to suggest polygamy is a sin from the question and corresponding answer

He made them "male and female" gives more credence to opposite sex relationship than the polygamy idea you are trying to demonize
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 4:59pm On Apr 21, 2021
Janosky:

Matthew 19
New Living Translation
Discussion about Divorce and Marriage

19 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went down to the region of Judea east of the Jordan River. 2 Large crowds followed him there, and he healed their sick.

3 Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife for just any reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female.’[a]” 5 And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.’[b] 6 Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together"

God joined one man and one woman as husband and wife.
NOT one man two wives, or one woman four husbands. Etc
grin grin

Thanks! They won't agree with you because some of them are into it already and trying to console themselves. The same thing one of my brother that smokes told me one day that Jesus never said smoking is sin because it was not written in the bible. I no dey talk again. grin
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 5:21pm On Apr 21, 2021
Jman24:
He made them "male and female" gives more credence to opposite sex relationship than the polygamy idea you are trying to demonize
That it does! undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 6:02pm On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
LOL... I am afraid you are under some kind of delusion there. There are no separate rules for kings or nobilities where sin is concerned. It is the same Law that applies to all men. Recall, where sin is concerned, God is an impartial God seeing all men as equals. undecided
Why are you complicating English. David was punish for adultery not polygamy.

Where has the polygamy lifestyle of David a man after Gods heart been recorded in the bible?

Please don't bring teaching of divorce to tho matter we're talking about polygamy and you're going into biblical philosophy.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 6:45pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

Why are you complicating English. David was punish for adultery not polygamy.

Where has the polygamy lifestyle of David a man after Gods heart been recorded in the bible?

Please don't bring teaching of divorce to tho matter we're talking about polygamy and you're going into biblical philosophy.
What teaching of divorce did I bring in here? undecided

You asked where God made laws that imply He is against the having of concubines and I showed you where in His New Covenant Law He, God, makes that more than clear to all. undecided

1 Like

Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by perezeghi: 7:00pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:
I never seen anywhere in the bible where it was mandatory or compulsory for a Christian or Jew to marry one wife just the way we see it today.

All the references pastor use don't show having two wives as a sin.
One wife is more like an advice not a law

Exodus 21:10

If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights.

1 Peter 3:7

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered

1 Timothy 3:1-6

This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; one that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (for if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

Read this and derive the answer......

This is NKJV

Mal.2.15 - But did He not make them one, Having a remnant of the Spirit? And why one? He seeks godly offspring. Therefore take heed to your spirit, And let none deal treacherously with the wife of his youth.
Mal.2.16 - "For the LORD God of Israel says That He hates divorce, For it covers one's garment with violence," Says the LORD of hosts. "Therefore take heed to your spirit, That you do not deal treacherously."
Mal.2.17 - You have wearied the LORD with your words; Yet you say, "In what way have we wearied Him?" In that you say, "Everyone who does evil Is good in the sight of the LORD, And He delights in them," Or, "Where is the God of justice?"

You can also read other translations like MSB, NLT and LB.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 9:02pm On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
What teaching of divorce did I bring in here? undecided

You asked where God made laws that imply He is against the having of concubines and I showed you where in His New Covenant Law He, God, makes that more than clear to all. undecided
Lolz what happened to old covenant Laws cheesy ?
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:08pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

Lolz what happened to old covenant Laws cheesy ?
the Old Covenant was made by God between God and those who have the blood of Jacob flowing in their veins as Law for living well in the borders of the land of Canaan. undecided

You are a Nigerian born of gentiles and as such were never included in that Covenant by God Himself. Plus you do not live in the land of Canaan. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by perezeghi: 9:27pm On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
the Old Covenant was made by God between God and those who have the blood of Jacob flowing in their veins as Law for living well in the borders of the land of Canaan. undecided

You are a Nigerian born of gentiles and as such were never included in that Covenant by God Himself. Plus you do not live in the land of Canaan. undecided

How you interpret the Scripture seems......

Abraham's Seed is Christ Jesus as it was foretold. Christ Jesus is from the house of King David.
Christ Jesus did not come to abolish any law but to bring to fulfilment that which was prophesied. And most importantly to bring to the knowledge of man, how they ought to have fellowship with the Father. In Christ Jesus there is neither Jew nor Gentile. We are all one in Christ.
So if there is any commandments/laws that is binding on man to keep then it's for all creation of God to observe.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Lagoon0: 9:36pm On Apr 21, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
the Old Covenant was made by God between God and those who have the blood of Jacob flowing in their veins [/b]as Law for living well in the borders of the land of Canaan. undecided

You are a Nigerian born of[b] gentiles
and as such were never included in that Covenant by God Himself. Plus you do not live in the land of Canaan. undecided
No be gentiles born me o! cheesy

Some Egyptians and other tribe joined the Israelite back then na without having Jacobs bloodline cheesy

If you read your old testament wella you'll see many non Jacob descendant that were observing the laws of moses and abiding to the teaching of the prophets.

Like I said earlier your philosophy is going too emotional.

Christ fulfilment of the law was not to change the law. Salvation of the soul is one important thing.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:42pm On Apr 21, 2021
perezeghi:

How you interpret the Scripture seems......

Abraham's Seed is Christ Jesus as it was foretold. Christ Jesus is from the house of King David.
Christ Jesus did not come to abolish any law but to bring to fulfilment that which was prophesied. And most importantly to bring to the knowledge of man, how they ought to have fellowship with the Father. In Christ Jesus there is neither Jew nor Gentile. We are all one in Christ.
So if there is any commandments/laws that is binding on man to keep then it's for all creation of God to observe.
I don't "interpret" the scriptures. I instead apply basic language comprehension skills when reading it.

The Old Covenant Law of Moses is an eternal law that God made with those who are of the Blood of Jacob for Law in the Kingdom of Canaan. God made this severally clear in the book of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy where the law is clearly defined for all those who will open their eyes to learn it in detail. In Deuteronomy 30, Moses ratifies it by swearing before Heaven and earth, affirming yet again, what has been previously stated that said Law is indeed between God and those who have the blood of Jacob flowing their their veins. undecided

The New Covenant Law , Jesus Christ is a different eternal Covenant which God makes with individual man of all nations(irrespective of race or ancestry) for Law in the Kingdom of God. The details of the New Covenant are found expressed in the Gospels(Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and this Covenant was ratified on the cross when Jesus Christ announced "It is finished" and the died. His resurrection was for to bless all Nations just as God had declared He would do through Abraham. undecided

Jesus Christ's fulfillment of the Old Covenant Law was for a purpose different from that which you assume since Jesus Christ never came to condemn those who rightly followed the Old Covenant way .I.e. those who were made righteous by the following of the Old Covenant. No, Jesus Christ did not come to call the Righteous but only the sinners to God. undecided

And yes, there were righteous men in the land even when Jesus Christ was in it. He instead went out to find the sinners for they were the lost sheep of israel He was sent to. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 9:47pm On Apr 21, 2021
Lagoon0:

No be gentiles born me o! cheesy
Some Egyptians and other tribe joined the Israelite back then na without having Jacobs bloodline cheesy
If you read your old testament wella you'll see many non Jacob descendant that were observing the laws of moses and abiding to the teaching of the prophets.
Like I said earlier your philosophy is going too emotional.
Christ fulfilment of the law was not to change the law. Salvation of the soul is one important thing.
I don't know who lies to you but you as a Nigerian are more than 99.9999% gentile born, regardless of your old testament assumptions on the migration of the Jews of old. undecided

Deuteronomy 30 vs 15-20 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. “Today I have given you a choice between life and death, success and disaster.
16. I command you today to love the Lord your God. I command you to follow him and to obey his commands, laws, and rules. Then you will live, and your nation will grow larger. And the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take for your own.
17. But if you turn away from your God and refuse to listen, if you are led away to worship and serve other gods,
18. you will be destroyed. I am warning you today, if you turn away from God, you will not live long in that land across the Jordan River that you are ready to enter and take for your own.

19. “Today I am giving you a choice of two ways. And I ask heaven and earth to be witnesses of your choice. You can choose life or death. The first choice will bring a blessing. The other choice will bring a curse. So choose life! Then you and your children will live.
20. You must love the Lord your God and obey him. Never leave him, because he is your life. And he will give you a long life in the land that he, the Lord, promised to give to your ancestors—Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”

Stating my philosophy is based on an emotional argument of sorts, without even once pointing out how only reveals you the one seeking to cun your way out of dealing with the information before you. What is it that I have stated that is not according to the Bible? undecided

I never said anything about Jesus Christ "changing" any law so what are you now rambling about? How can you have salvation when you don't even realize what it is you are being saved from and the how? undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by perezeghi: 6:22am On Apr 22, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I don't "interpret" the scriptures. I instead apply basic language comprehension skills when reading it.

The Old Covenant Law of Moses is an eternal law that God made with those who are of the Blood of Jacob for Law in the Kingdom of Canaan. God made this severally clear in the book of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy where the law is clearly defined for all those who will open their eyes to learn it in detail. In Deuteronomy 30, Moses ratifies it by swearing before Heaven and earth, affirming yet again, what has been previously stated that said Law is indeed between God and those who have the blood of Jacob flowing their their veins. undecided

The New Covenant Law , Jesus Christ is a different eternal Covenant which God makes with individual man of all nations(irrespective of race or ancestry) for Law in the Kingdom of God. The details of the New Covenant are found expressed in the Gospels(Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and this Covenant was ratified on the cross when Jesus Christ announced "It is finished" and the died. His resurrection was for to bless all Nations just as God had declared He would do through Abraham. undecided

Jesus Christ's fulfillment of the Old Covenant Law was for a purpose different from that which you assume since Jesus Christ never came to condemn those who rightly followed the Old Covenant way .I.e. those who were made righteous by the following of the Old Covenant. No, Jesus Christ did not come to call the Righteous but only the sinners to God. undecided

And yes, there were righteous men in the land even when Jesus Christ was in it. He instead went out to find the sinners for they were the lost sheep of israel He was sent to. undecided

You really need to re-read the Scripture and probably change your basic comprehension skills.

Let me use some of your words........

The old covenant (law)is not rooted in Jacob's blood as you claim but rooted in the blood of circumcision. It is a prerequisite.Try go study what happened to Moses before he did circumcision.

Likewise the new covenant is rooted in the blood of Christ Jesus. That was why He ought to die and was/is resurrected.

Covenants are symbols of bonds.
Laws are principles/statues/commands that are expected to put us in checks.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:17am On Apr 22, 2021
perezeghi:
You really need to re-read the Scripture and probably change your basic comprehension skills.
I think you will really benefit a great deal from applying basic human language comprehension skills when reading the Bible as well as any text written by human hands and in human language cause I see from your response that you didn't quite comprehend the content of my previous comment. undecided
perezeghi:
Let me use some of your words....
Unfortunately, it does not appear that you used any of my own words here.
perezeghi:

The old covenant (law)is not rooted in Jacob's blood as you claim but rooted in the blood of circumcision. It is a prerequisite.Try go study what happened to Moses before he did circumcision.
Likewise the new covenant is rooted in the blood of Christ Jesus. That was why He ought to die and was/is resurrected.
I don't understand the logic behind your claim that Circumcision is a "root" of the covenant, nor do I understand what you mean when you suggest the blood of Jesus Christ as the "root" of the New Covenant, so I am afraid I can't speak to that.undecided

What I do know is that as the rainbow is the seal/sign of the Noahic Covenant, so is circumcision the seal of the first covenant that God made with Abraham, and eventually with those with the blood of Jacob running through their veins. And this where the "seal" of a covenant/agreement is the differentiating sign or mark expressing a binding to the respective Covenant. undecided

Genesis 17 vs 1-11 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. When Abram was 99 years old, the Lord appeared to him. He said, “I am God All-Powerful.[a] Obey me and live the right way.
2. If you do this, I will prepare an agreement between us. I will promise to make your people a great nation.”
3. Then Abram bowed down before God. God said to him,
4. “This is my part of our agreement: I will make you the father of many nations.
5. I will change your name from Abram[b] to Abraham,[c] because I am making you the father of many nations.
6. I will give you many descendants. New nations and kings will come from you.
7. And I will prepare an agreement between me and you. This agreement will also be for all your descendants. It will continue forever. I will be your God and the God of all your descendants.
8. And I will give this land to you and to all your descendants. I will give you the land you are traveling through—the land of Canaan. I will give you this land forever, and I will be your God.”

9. Then God said to Abraham, “Now, this is your part of the agreement: You and all your descendants will obey my agreement.
10. This is my agreement that all of you must obey. This is the agreement between me and you and all your descendants. Every male must be circumcised.
11. You will cut the skin to show that you follow the agreement between me and you.
The seal of the New Covenant agreement/contract is not the blood of Jesus Christ alone but the Blood, Water, and Spirit of Truth living inside of those who have Salvation in Jesus Christ. undecided
perezeghi:
Covenants are symbols of bonds. Laws are principles/statues/commands that are expected to put us in checks.
As the passage above also clearly informs you, a Covenant is a contract/agreement/Law between two parties warranting that each party sticks to the terms and conditions stipulated as a way of honoring the other party.

Deuteronomy 30 vs 15-20 (ERV)
15. “Today I have given you a choice between life and death, success and disaster.
16. I command you today to love the Lord your God. I command you to follow him and to obey his commands, laws, and rules. Then you will live, and your nation will grow larger. And the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take for your own.
17. But if you turn away from your God and refuse to listen, if you are led away to worship and serve other gods,
18. you will be destroyed. I am warning you today, if you turn away from God, you will not live long in that land across the Jordan River that you are ready to enter and take for your own.

19. “Today I am giving you a choice of two ways. And I ask heaven and earth to be witnesses of your choice. You can choose life or death. The first choice will bring a blessing. The other choice will bring a curse. So choose life! Then you and your children will live.
20. You must love the Lord your God and obey him. Never leave him, because he is your life. And he will give you long life in the land that he, the Lord, promised to give to your ancestors—Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”
The Old Covenant Law of Moses for example consists not just of Laws/Statutes/rules, but also blessings, curses, rituals, and promises which pertain only to those to which is it binding to - those who are of the Blood of Jacob .i.e. Descendants of Abraham & Isaac & Jacob, as is made clear in the passage above.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 7:41am On Apr 22, 2021
perezeghi:
As for the above statement, I felt it necessary to make it clear to you why Jesus Christ had to die - counter that popular narrative that many of you have been fed by your many pastors and preachers out there who read you the same scripts they have themselves heard without ever thinking to verify any of it for themselves.

According to the Old Covenant Law/agreement between God and His people, Israel, the only way to fulfill the Old Covenant requirement was to attain righteousness and then die afterward, a righteous man. undecided

Well, Jesus Christ fulfilled the requirements of the Old Covenant Law - He died a righteous sinless man- so that all those of the blood of Jacob, who were still sinners and would leave the Old Covenant for the New Covenant would be imparted with His Righteousness and His Death, bringing to an end the hold of the Old Covenant on them(without penalty), and at the same time maintaining their place in the promise of the Old Covenant while they seek out a new life in the New Covenant. undecided

Jesus Christ's death was what I call inevitable and necessary for good reason. First, almost every prophet before Him was murdered. John the Baptist, the last of them and all He did was preach repentance to a sinful woman to get his head lobbed off. So Jesus Christ came ready to die at the hands of the same thugs. I mean He came in the name of God preaching a departure from the Old Covenant - some would say He was begging to be killed. undecided
Second, in order for His mission to the lost sheep of Israel(Jewish sinners) to be made complete, He had to die. The fulfillment of the Old Covenant made that necessary in order that through His death, the lost of Sheep of Israel(Jewish sinners) gained victory over the Old Covenant as they are ushered into a New Covenant with God. So, for the sake of the Lost Sheep(Jewish sinners), Jesus Christ needed to die. undecided

Third, for His New Covenant to apply to those of other nations -the gentiles who were born dead to the Law by God's design - He had to rise from the dead. This so that through His resurrection, He imparts the Life that He is to those previously condemned to death(dust to dust). So, for the sake of the Nations, Jesus Christ had to die - He came knowing this and prepared to die. undecided

The fourth reason why Jesus Christ had to die was so that He could then live inside of His followers. They become His body and force by which His work to continue from generation to generation, all of them of course, driven by Him through submission and obedience to the New Covenant of God through Jesus Christ. undecided

His blood - the blood of the Covenant - was shed for the forgiveness of the sins of those who belong in His New Covenant. Pretty much since it was to be shed anyway, why not. After all, He was a sinless man ...God's own avatar, the Law, and the King Himself in the Kingdom of God so His blood was perfect for the job. undecided

So, in a sense, He died for the sinners, those of the blood of Jacob - He came to call the sinners and not the righteous among them. Though they come to Him, the New Covenant, as Old Covenant sinners, through the impartation of His own Righteousness and His own Death upon them, they are made righteous where the old Covenant is concerned and dead to it but give His Life in the New Covenant. undecided

So it has nothing to do with blood sacrifices or human ones as you imagine on altars and whatnot. His sacrifice is of a different kind entirely. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by peteregwu(m): 8:26am On Apr 22, 2021
True Christians follow Jesus. We don't follow any other person but Jesus alone and his doctrines. If you are referring to David, Solomon or those that were polygamous in their time jus t because they are men of God, it means you are not yet Christian but a religious person and you won't make heaven beczuse they are not the the standard of God to make heaven. Jesus is the way, truth and live. He is the one that gave us the new commandment and new doctrine and if you don't give heed to it, how can u enter heaven.

2 John 1:8-9 KJV
"Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. [9] Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."

Jesus stated his own doctrine which has been from the beginning before men defiled it and jesus coming into the world was to restore it according to his own willand not the will of man but of God. That is why jesus mandated it that for one to make heave, one has to be born again. If you don't believe in this new doctrine, then forget about heaven.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Jman24(m): 10:29am On Apr 22, 2021
Kobojunkiee:

And it doesn't occur to you that those events(if true) all happened in Africa according to your good book?
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Kobojunkiee: 12:22pm On Apr 22, 2021
Jman24:

And it doesn't occur to you that those events(if true) all happened in Africa according to your good book?
Events occurred in Africa? undecided

These are at least 40,000 other delusions, all claimed to originate from the same Bible. Yours is no much different or more special than those of others. undecided
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by OkCornel(m): 3:36pm On Apr 22, 2021
peteregwu:
True Christians follow Jesus. We don't follow any other person but Jesus alone and his doctrines. If you are referring to David, Solomon or those that were polygamous in their time jus t because they are men of God, it means you are not yet Christian but a religious person and you won't make heaven beczuse they are not the the standard of God to make heaven. Jesus is the way, truth and live. He is the one that gave us the new commandment and new doctrine and if you don't give heed to it, how can u enter heaven.

2 John 1:8-9 KJV
"Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. [9] Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son."

Jesus stated his own doctrine which has been from the beginning before men defiled it and jesus coming into the world was to restore it according to his own willand not the will of man but of God. That is why jesus mandated it that for one to make heave, one has to be born again. If you don't believe in this new doctrine, then forget about heaven.

Thank you.

1. Show us where Jesus said it is a sin to marry two wives.

2. Did God not promise David more wives in 2 Samuel 12 v 7-8? Yes or no.
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by Jman24(m): 4:19pm On Apr 22, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
Events occurred in Africa? undecided

These are at least 40,000 other delusions, all claimed to originate from the same Bible. Yours is no much different or more special than those of others. undecided

You call them delusions. You may not be far from the truth.
But the good book points to the fact that those fairy tales (if you like) were of Africa. That's the point.
You can hardly twist this narrative

I challenge you to prove from your Bible that Israel was in a barren land of the so called middle East of today
Re: Where In The Bible was it Recorded As Sin To Marry Two Wives by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:42pm On Apr 22, 2021
The Bible is not a book of laws as most religionists think, the laws given to the nation of Israel became obsolete when the Messiah (Christ) arrived.
Jesus of Nazareth who claims to be the Messiah didn't teach his followers laws as Moses did in his time. God's word revealed that mankind lost Paradise when the first human couple were driven out of Eden.
Jesus' counseling will help all those who adhere to it live forever in Paradise.

God promised that in Paradise inhabitants will not have any cause for complaint {Isaiah 11:9} the experience of God's servants who lived with more than one woman shows that it's not good for Adam to live peacefully with two Eves.

So if you want to live forever in Paradise the standard God set in the beginning for marriage is ONE Adam and ONE Eve, anyone who failed to live by this standard can't inherit Paradise!

Lagoon0:
I never seen anywhere in the bible where it was mandatory or compulsory for a Christian or Jew to marry one wife just the way we see it today.
All the references pastor use don't show having two wives as a sin.
One wife is more like an advice not a law
Exodus 21:10
If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights.1 Peter 3:7
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered
1 Timothy 3:1-6
This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; one that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (for if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dr. David Bob Manuel, Announced As New Prelate Cherubim and Seraphim / Homosexuality, Lesbianism, All Other Sexual Pervasion Is Not Just A Sin But... / Police Seize Pastor Fatoyinbo’s Passport, Conduct Search On His House, Office

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.