Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (11478 Views)

Poll: What should the government do about NYSC scheme?

Continue with it: 20% (29 votes)
Scrap it: 73% (103 votes)
Undecided: 5% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by PHIPEX(m): 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2012
How many innocent graduates will die before NLC organises a nation wide protest for the scrapping of this moribund scheme?
How many young graduates will be maimed before Save Nigeria Group realises that they are worth fighting for?
How many innocent mind will sacrificed on the alter of national unity before the FG recognises the wailing voices of parents who have been made childless and others whose heart suffer from hypertension at the mention of NYSC cause their wards are due to be sent to an unknown destination to be tested, tempted and tried for 360 whle days?

To my fellows due for this 1 year of untold hardship, take heart and surrender your fate to God, cos no one in authority cares about your plights now, everyone will rather fight for cheap fuel than fight for you to remain alive.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by efisher(m): 4:43pm On Jan 15, 2012
Scrap it now!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Bisjosh(f): 4:44pm On Jan 15, 2012
Scrapped angry angry angry
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by talktrue1(m): 4:46pm On Jan 15, 2012
NYSC is a subsidy programme for graduates.
I would have suggested scrapping it and the total money paid to graduate once, but am afraid of cabals
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Cmeo(m): 4:57pm On Jan 15, 2012
Nothing is as time wasting in Nigeria today as NYSC programme. I am a Batch B corp member but I must confess the damn thing should be scrapped, it has honestly outlived its purpose back then. If it were to be retained it should be what @ridgeman suggested.

ridgeman:

1-serve in your own state (its better to serve within ur geopolitical zone)

2-Maximum age of 21

3-Voluntary

Secondary school leavers should be the target.

NYSC is another avenue for draining funds without accountability or consequence!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by marcus1234: 5:13pm On Jan 15, 2012
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Ayodhejjy(m): 5:40pm On Jan 15, 2012
wastin of time, resource money and everytin. Let get it scraped
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Natasha2(f): 5:51pm On Jan 15, 2012
Its a total waste of time although such experiences can be fun, I mean mixing up with people from different places, but its still a waste of time, imagine you can't go for your masters without going for NYSC .
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Iolo(m): 5:54pm On Jan 15, 2012
A lot of people seem to forget that NYSC members were instrumental to the success of our last elections, by far the freest since 99.

Besides that, the NYSC program should be restructured. People should be made to serve within the south or the north. If you come from SW, go to SE and vice versa. Same goes for north. Cause the way it stands, I think Northerners are the most beneficiaries of this NYSC tin. They get cheap labor to educate their kids and from what I know ther average core-northern school has a 60-70% makeup of youth corpers as teachers.

Other than this serving your country can also be a good thing. Its fun and really a time to relax, learn new things, make friends and such.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Tabon: 6:07pm On Jan 15, 2012
I support d NYSC to a scraped. It is a way d north impoverish d south and deprive us of our God given resources. Northerners will be posted to d south and after d service year absorbed. By d time southerners will return from d dry north,no vacancy. This also contribute to d joblessness in d south. It should be scraped or let everybody serve in his or her state.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by VoodooDoll(m): 6:48pm On Jan 15, 2012
Emekamex:

Wont that lead to increased violence

Perhaps, but if random people know that NYSC corpers are packing guns and know what to do with them, then they are less likely to attack them. Furthermore, police, military etc will not see young graduates as cattle to be shot at at will.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by ngorluv: 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2012
U guys just come to this forum and post or blabb whatever is on ur mind without thinking.am sure most u saying the scheme should be scrapped already have a job waiting for u after service or u really don't know what orientation the scheme gives to empower the youths.the scheme mobilizes atleast 100,000 nigerian graduates each batch and atleast 300,000 in a year.none of these corp members would say throughout their service year they do not gain one or two things.and also the scheme makes sure that each year,these graduates have something to keep them busy and also time to think how they can be helpful to themselves within the service year, now tell me if 300,000 gradutes from school and they do not have any NYSC service year to keep them busy,with no job out there ,what would be the next thing to do, CRIME. The scheme should not be scraped,rather its should be restructured, those screaming killings in the country,is it just corps members that are killed?by the way how many have been killed if not the media escalating falls information, do u want to tell me that if boko haram start targeting students of a particular higher institution that such school should be closed down?, No,i sugest that the security of the nation should be put in check, pls NLanders should go and chk the aims and objectives of the scheme,its nt to forestall unity alone ,it has other objectives, not just come here and blabb rub.bish,
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by KnowAll(m): 7:20pm On Jan 15, 2012
All SWesterners should serve in the SW States, all SEasterner should serve in SE States, All NEasterners should serve in NE States and so on and so forth. That way the Corpers can still be useful to the FG in times of elections and the Corpers themselves would be comfortable with the environment they are serving, that is they would understand the local lingo and traditions making them a useful member of the society they serve.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2012
Are u guyz serious? Scrap wat? U guyz must be high on cheap taba.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by PHIPEX(m): 7:41pm On Jan 15, 2012
can u imagine being posted to any of those Boko mallams infested villages where u will be hiding like a common criminal?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by DaLover(m): 7:41pm On Jan 15, 2012
it should be scraped quickly, it is usually used to deny graduates of 9ja delta job opportunities, corp members who serve in delta, rivers and akwa ibom serve in the oil companies, while 9ja delta graduates are posted away, after one year, those non 9ja delta pple are retained while our graduates return back to find no jobs,
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2012
They shd stop it. Its waste ☀̤̣̈̇f tym
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by mpmp: 8:07pm On Jan 15, 2012
I agree with the commenter that said NYSC should be turned into Millitary traning.

Nigeria's NYSC is a complete failure. I served Nigeria under a mango tree, after 5-solid years of University. Isnt that a waste?

If the 1-year is a millitary training, it helps to build love and respect for one another. All these tribal sentiments would not be there anymore. In fact, if Nigeria gets attacked today by some foreign nations and it needs to recruit soldiers into its army, who can they call onto? nobody - when there are no military trained people among the civilians.

Thank God we dont have a country like Iraq as our neighbors, maybe we would have shaped up a long time ago, coz they will just be using one-state per month for weapon testing.

In Nigeria, young men arent trained to handle weapons, guns for example-they dont know how to shoot, talk less of load up a rifle; they cant use sticks, knives, ropes to defend themselves. There is no formal traning in self defense using their hands or any weaponry at all;  they cant control crowds as someone said earlier; a good number of Nigerian men cant even swim, cant survive under water. Worse, what are you supposed to do in a time of natural disaster, a fire, landslide, volcano, hurricane, nobody knows.  Thank God we dont have many of those here.

Who teaches anybody how to do CPR, or apply basic first-aid to a wounded/injured man in an accident. If people see you doing such, they will say you are a doctor. but do you have to be a doctor to know about first-aid?

Im talking about men, how about women. How many single women know what to do / have received training on what to do if a pregnant woman beside them goes into unexpected labor. How many women know how to defend themselves against rape, other than shouting "I beg you in the name of Jesus, leave me alone o".

I learnt Judo and Taekwondo as Physical education subjects in school and the experience is still with me. Even though Ive never done it before, but I can recollect what to do if someone besides me needs a first-aid / is in labor.

I believe if Nigerian men are better trained, the North will not be a no-go area by now. Many of those who died would have defended themselves in one way or the other, possibly leading to the capture of a boko-haram member who could be used for information purposes.

If the average Nigerian is well-trained in self defense, things like armed robbery will reduce, coz the armed robber will know his potential victim might be better than he/she is.

The above is not a 1-size fits all, but it sure helps.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by gaddafe(m): 8:14pm On Jan 15, 2012
Its a shame if anybody that has served is here sayin it should be scraped. Whether you like it or not ''that allowee na something oh''.
It a known fact that the scheme should be reformed not scrapped.
It should either be turned to :
1. Full military training or
2. Every corper serving in his/her geographical region or
3. The students should be paid the full money for the total one year allowance once they graduate in order to help the student establish a business.

There are other alternatives if the govt is ready for a nice reform. But for anyone to say it should be scrapped would not be fair to incoming graduate.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by GuruD: 8:23pm On Jan 15, 2012
I think the scheme should be re-organised to address the modern issues we face as a country. I like the idea corps members teach in schools, they can also help in specific areas like the I.T sector as most are more computer literate than the older gov't workers. we saw the good work they did during the elections despite the insecurity issues. Look at it this way, the gov't has a youthful and intelligent scheme that can help in building this nation for cheap. I suggest using corps members run the next identity card registration ( computer chip cards) like that of India.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by madprof(m): 8:48pm On Jan 15, 2012
Scrap it, by all means!
NYSC has become a means whereby:
- Influential people lobby for, and get preferential postings for their siblings, girlfriends and relatives thereby negating the purpose of the scheme.
- Nigerian youths are sent to their untimely deaths in the name of secterian crisis.
- Graduates are shipped off to teach in classrooms( whatever for? what makes a corper a good teacher?)
- A young graduate's life and career are unnecessarily put on hold for one whole year.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by madprof(m): 9:14pm On Jan 15, 2012
Iolo:

A lot of people seem to forget that NYSC members were instrumental to the success of our last elections, by far the freest since 99.

Besides that, the NYSC program should be restructured. People should be made to serve within the south or the north. If you come from SW, go to SE and vice versa. Same goes for north. Cause the way it stands, I think Northerners are the most beneficiaries of this NYSC tin. They get cheap labor to educate their kids and from what I know ther average core-northern school has a 60-70% makeup of youth corpers as teachers.

Other than this serving your country can also be a good thing. Its fun and really a time to relax, learn new things, make friends and such.

So, without corpers we can't have credible elections? Seriously?
Also, rather than investing in qualified personnel, our governments and educationists should continue using corpers in schools abi? What makes a corper qualified to teach anybody anything? Because he has a degree/diploma from a higher institution?
Please govt should allow graduates to pursue their career rather than imprison them for one year.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by nsiadi: 9:46pm On Jan 15, 2012
Make NYSC more purposeful,
Add greater values to NYSC,
Make security of NYSC members top priority,

If these are not possible let Corpers serve in their states

Or scrap the damn thing
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by muyoto: 9:54pm On Jan 15, 2012
scrraaaap!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry

it has clearly outlived its usefulness
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by prodam(m): 9:59pm On Jan 15, 2012
if the scrapping would reduce the untimely death of innocent young Nigerians, then ALL the way, it should be scrapped,
YES, They are bound to be problems and they are also approaches and solutions to them
What jst baffles me the most is that we are talking abt beefing up security around coppers,
if a calamity can still occur in a state where "a state of emergency was declared" then security is not the issue but the leaders through their nefarious activities is our problem,

i suggest the aims and objectives of the scheme should be altered or modified to reflect a better advantage to fresh graduates, why not use the whole year to learn about different disciplines, and give them industry based training in their respective field, they may also be helpful to the local and state governments of their state of origin, no more posting to states not in their geo-political zone,
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Osama10(m): 11:15pm On Jan 15, 2012
No long talk here,it should be scraped asap.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by EASY32: 4:57am On Jan 16, 2012
I have been an advocate of Scrapping NYSC. As @ 2000 when i did NYSC, the ZI in kabba, kogi state said " the federal government spent 80,000- 120,000 on the average per NYSC copper". it must have increased now.
if this is so, then, why can the government give out this money as graduate loans and let the NDE train and set them up as entrepreneurs.
milllions of jobs will be created this way,
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by moshoodn(m): 6:14am On Jan 16, 2012
EASY32:

I have been an advocate of Scrapping NYSC. As @ 2000 when i did NYSC, the ZI in kabba, kogi state said " the federal government spent 80,000- 120,000 on the average per NYSC copper". it must have increased now.
if this is so, then, why can the government give out this money as graduate loans and let the NDE train and set them up as entrepreneurs.
milllions of jobs will be created this way,
they would never give out the monies.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by juman(m): 7:47am On Jan 16, 2012
Ayodhejjy:

wastin of time, resource money and everytin. Let get it scraped

Even one nigeria self = waste of time.

I see NYSC as sock absorber for new graduates, if scrapped must be replaced with something else.

Every good programs become yeye in nigeria. Hiss.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by ollyruffy: 8:26am On Jan 16, 2012
Post members to their states if not scrap the shit.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by idris4r83(m): 8:51am On Jan 16, 2012
nysc is d most useless scheme apart from waisting ones tym, endagering the life of corpers. Infact I don't c any reasonable thing that could be drawn from nysc. Its high time 4 government 2 have removed dis time waisting program.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by enomakos(m): 9:58am On Jan 16, 2012
it is a fund drains and waste of life

does one need an nysc certificate to become rich in nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Corpers: How Do Soldiers In Your Various Camps Treat You? / Gifts You Will Like To Receive As An Outgoing Corper! / Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.