Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,502 members, 7,854,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:28 AM

Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. (860 Views)

Breaking News! Probe Me And See Nigeria Explode!! OBJ To Buhari. / Letters Of OBJ To GEJ And Iyabo Obasanjo To Her Father for sale. Very funny. / OBJ To Appear Before Reps June 28 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by BigB11(m): 6:14pm On Jul 12, 2007
Why Yar‘Adua must confront Obasanjo

“As long as their ambiguity persists, the oppressed are reluctant to resist, and totally lack confidence in themselves. They have a diffuse magical belief in the invulnerability and power from the oppressor…

“The oppressed must see examples of the vulnerability of the oppressor… until this occurs, they will continue disheartened, fearful, and beaten. As long as the oppressed remain unaware of the causes of their condition, they fatalistically “accept” their exploitation. Further, they are apt to react in a passive and alienated manner when confronted with the necessity to struggle for their freedom and self-affirmation.

“Little by little, however, they tend to try out forms of rebellious action”

– Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed

I have quoted copiously from this world acclaimed revolutionary Brazilian author because of the graphic resemblance of the situation described by him to the situation of the Nigerian President, Alhaji Umar Yar ‘Adua, who seems incapable of rescuing himself and his fledgling government from the sharp claws of former President Matthew Olusegun Aremu Okikiolakan Obasanjo and his band of power grabbers.

It is pitiable that more than 40 days after the new government came to power; our dangerously hemorrhaging country has been on auto pilot, with no clear captain in control of the cockpit. Why does Yar ‘Adua appear so helpless? What are the bases for the fear of, or self-immolating respect for, Obasanjo. Beyond Yar ‘Adua, why would the self-advertised “biggest party” in Africa, allow itself to be hijacked by one man whose iron claws should have been clipped on May 29, 2007, a party filled with men and women of timber and calibre? What really is the talismanic magic of Obasanjo that all knees must continue to bow before this our modern day Sango (god of thunder)?

For Christ’s sake, Obasanjo was our maximum ruler for eight years. He had received the baton of power from General Abdusalami Abubakar. Did Obasanjo allow Abadusalami Abubakar to dictate to him? Did he allow the Babangidas and T.Y. Danjumas who brought him back to power, and even Atiku Abubakar who supplied the PDM platform, to dictate to him? Did the Ekwuemes, the Gowon’s, the Shagaris have a say in his government? Was the judiciary allowed to function as demanded by our constitution. Was the Legislature allowed to sit and deliberate in peace. Did Obasanjo allow even the executive governors, under a Federal System, to govern in peace without the avuncular presence of a headmaster with super cane in hand, and the sword of impeachment on parade?

Every serious government must have its own character, and bear full responsibility for its action or inaction… Yar ‘Adua can not come out four years from now and tell us that Obasanjo tied his hands and legs, and that’s why he failed.

Yes, Obasanjo helped him into power. Yes, he wants to remain grateful and loyal. No problem. His mother and extended families have gone to see the Ora farmer to express their total gratitude. That should be enough.

Obasanjo himself should realize as a Yorubaman that when we offer goats as sacrifice to Masquerades, we must drop the ropes. For as long as you hold the rope, the ram has not been given to the gods. Obasanjo’s inability to release the rope of power to Yar ‘Adua is heating up our polity again. All men and women of conscience must beg, or force, him to go home and rest in perpetual peace.

As a former international statesman, he should keep himself busy by working hard to salvage whatever is left of his glowing reputation Obasanjo should allow the new government to take off. He should manage his now prosperous chain of companies. He has done his best for Africa and the world.

Those of us who don’t appreciate his style are probably in the minority. And history may still be fair to him. He should, therefore, worry less about local politics, or village matters. He should allow his own people to enjoy their palm wine and their wives. He does not need to control the party to be relevant. In fact, it is very demeaning for an international superstar to become a local champion.

Nigeria cannot afford two Presidents. Sooner than later, there would be some political explosions of cataclysmic proportions. This can be averted by PDP leading Obasanjo back to Ota to live, the Mandela-style, in retirement. Those who made it possible for him to get back to power through the back door must hate him, and loathe Nigeria.

We agree that he has a wealth of experience to share with us, but he can do that privately, and at the Council of State meetings. It is too dangerous to put him in the executive chair. Obasanjo is too combustive to sit still at public functions with the President. He will always make Yar ‘Adua feel like his houseboy and may not even allow him to express his personal or official views. The gentleman will always feel intimidated by Obasanjo’s larger than life image.

Yar ‘Adua must realize that time flies, and yet he has a miracle to perform. In eight years, we did not get electricity, pipe borne water, good roads, good hospitals, good schools, adequate security, affordable foods, good transport, regular supply of fuel, or kerosene and many other necessities of life…

Why then is the ruling party trying to force Obasanjo on us as the only Messiah in Nigeria? Why are they hell bent on causing confusion? Suddenly, they now know that our roads are bad. They now know that Anthonny Anenih did not do a good job as the Minister of Works, and his tenure is now subject to scrutiny.

They waited until the man offended the gods of PDP before they realized the corruption that stank to high heavens at the Ministry.

Where then do we go from here. The solution lies in Yar ‘Adua’s personal determination to succeed, by doing the right things. Most Nigerians see him as a mere puppet, and even, internationally he’s yet to take on the world and stamp his authority as the leader of Africa’s biggest nation. Even at the African Union Summit in Accra, our President looked too timid.

President Yar ‘Adua seems a nice and honest man but that alone cannot take him to the promised land.

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jul/12/208.html
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by BigB11(m): 6:35pm On Jul 12, 2007
It is pure avidity, imperious and irresponsible for OBJ to still be getting involved with Nigerian Federal Government daily activities.

Enough is enough; this man has done enough damage to our nation and it's time for him to step aside and leave us alone.
We are no longer interested in his vindictiveness, obstinateness, childishness and unprofessional behavior.

Please, BABA go away; go and get to know your kids, grand kids and great grand kids.

WE'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU!
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by BigB11(m): 5:29am On Jul 15, 2007
Baba wants to stick around to mix things together and make things more difficult for this admin.
It is true that former leaders never want to see their successor succeed so quick. The quick success of the new admin will clearly make OBJ a joke. It is simple, things will not go smoothly with war against corruption in Nigeria as long as OBJ is involved.
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by Mamajama(m): 3:38pm On Jul 15, 2007
BIGB1 Please shut up with this your nonsense patriotic speech. Answere me one question as much as I think OBJ should leave and enjoy his old age with his family, what makes him different than your dad IBB who is in one way or the other still involve with Nigerian politics?

Big B1:

Baba wants to stick around to mix things together and make things more difficult for this admin.
It is true that former leaders never want to see their successor succeed so quick. .

Please provide some valid source to substantiate this inscription of yours.
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by Colonia(m): 4:14pm On Jul 15, 2007
@ Mamajama
Lets keep it real, why do you think OBJ was trying to come back for the third term? TO COVER HIS INADEQUACIES!!!!can you honestly tell m ethat such a person will want this goverment to be successful? Some agbalagba that dont care about anybody else but themselves!!! I am sure he is at otta thinking about how this new goverment will fail. Remember this is Nigeria that we are talking about .
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by angel101(f): 2:40pm On Jul 16, 2007
OBJ is not the only problem. Might not even be the biggest problem.
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by Mamajama(m): 3:46pm On Jul 16, 2007
We have 36 states in Nigeria. If all the state governors fail, will we blame the presidency for their inefficiency or the people who elect them?  OBJ has done his part in building and destroying the nation, it's time we forget about baba and focus on New projects and agendas.  To me baba is just a figure head in this administration, YAR Adua though will seek guidance from various avenues and people.  but ultimately the decisions will be his and his cabinet members
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by BigB11(m): 8:31pm On Jul 22, 2007
Don’t be too greedy–Jakande tells OBJ

Second Republic governor of Lagos State, Alhaji Lateef Jakande says it is dishonourable for former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo to be hustling for power after office, especially with the way he ‘hijacked’ Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees (BOT) chair.

Speaking with Sunday Sun at his Ilupeju, Lagos residence, Jakande who turns 78 tomorrow, also slammed the former president’s 8-year rule, saying it was a failure.

According to him, “the out-gone president wants to retain power even out of office. Otherwise, he would not have got the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to nominate him life leader or to take over the chairmanship of the Board of Trustees (BOT) from one of his associates, Tony Anenih. One then feels that the former president still wants to dictate the tune.”

Claiming that such an action was unworthy of anybody with a modicum of honour, he was however, cocksure that whatever schemes Obasanjo invents in a bid to retain power after office would fail because “Yar’Adua would not allow him.”

Insisting that life itself is limited, Jakande urged Obasanjo to spend his days thanking God for his life and praying for the success of the new government, rather than seeking to retain power after office, declaring that “service is by far more rewarding and satisfying than the mechanics of power.”

Excerpts:
Sir, I would like to start by first inquiring about your state of being?
I thank God for everything. I am quite fit and I look forward to celebrating my birthday on Monday.

Congratulations, sir. How old would you be?
I will be 78.

What is it that you were unable to accomplish in your youth?
During my time as governor of Lagos State, I started a metro line project as a permanent solution to the problem of transportation in the state. Unfortunately, when the military took over the project was cancelled. It was not only inconsiderate but also irresponsible. We were quite confident that the project would pay itself and we would have got a good transport system in Lagos but the military cancelled it even against the advice of their own panels. I cannot but feel sad about it when you look at what happens in Lagos today. We intended to have trains on rails and this would have made it possible for vehicles to move smoothly on the ground. I know there is no alternative to solving the transportation problem of Lagos State than metro line.

Why is it that successive governments have not been able to reactivate interest in it?
They have tried to solve the problem of traffic congestion by using other methods and projects but I am sorry to say that they are wrong. They have to go back to metro line as I planned it because the area we have in Lagos State is small and we must make maximum use of it. The deal we struck with the French consortium was credited the world over. Somebody has to go back to the drawing board and deliberately reactivate that project. All the other things they have been doing is just begging the question.

Looking at the polity today, we have a new president who has spent barely two months in office and yet there is a notion among some Nigerians that he is slow. Do you agree?
I do not think they are fair to him to say that he is slow. I am quite impressed by him because he has not been reckless in his statements, he has not rushed into one project or the other. Even the reforms that were started by Obasanjo he approaches them with caution, which I think is good. I do not agree with those who say he is slow, after all he came to office only on May 29, less than three months ago. He is somebody that is sensible and who is calculating. I hope and believe he would give us a good result.

There are also concerns that he is being teleguided by Obasanjo from Otta Farm?
I believe that Umaru Yar’Adua is a strong person and I do not think he is the type of president who would take orders from his predecessor. What I suspect based on what we can see is that the out-gone president wants to retain power even out of office. Otherwise, he would not have got the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to nominate him life leader or to take over the chairmanship of the Board of Trustee (BOT) from one of his associates, Tony Anenih. One then feels that the former president still wants to dictate the tune. But I am quite sure that Yar’Adua would not allow him.

Is that worthy of a statesman?
It is not worthy of any honourable person. Life itself is limited and anybody who has held an office should thank God he had the opportunity. I was in office for four years, 1979-83. Even though I was elected for the second term, the military struck and that was the end. What I did in those four years remains on record. Till today people remind me of it. And one of the things which, I am grateful to God is that so many people show appreciation on a daily basis. I went to Ikeja hospital the other day to see a friend. As I was leaving the hospital one young lady stopped my car and came to me and said ‘My name is Obaji. I just come to say thank you because but for you and your government, I would not have been a doctor today.’ I said to her, ‘Thank you very much.’

On another occasion, I was in church for a funeral service or something. We were singing and this lady with her husband kept looking back at me and I kept wondering what was amiss. After the singing and we went into the hall, this lady came to meet me and introduced herself to me. She then called her husband, saying that this is the person she has been telling him about. You cannot beat that. On another occasion, I went on visit to Abuja. I took a taxi to the Federal Mortgage Bank.

When I finished my business, I met this man standing beside my taxi. He offered to take me to my hotel, I agreed and I said ‘Thank you very much for giving me this lift.’ The gentleman said, ‘No, sir. I should thank you.’ I said ‘Thank me for what?’ He said ‘You gave me this car.’ I said ‘Where did I meet you to give you a car?’ He said he attended my free education schools and as a result of that he is now an executive director in a bank and that they had just given him the car. These types of things must give one a sense of gratitude to God almighty.

So, if you were to meet the former president, would be your advice to him?
The former president has every reason to thank God 24 hours a day. God has been extremely kind to him and he should recognise it. I think the grace of God, which surpasses all understanding, must be credited for all those things God has done for us. Now that somebody else is there as president, it is Obasanjo’s duty to support him in every possible way, after all only God knows what nobody knows. I feel he ought to be grateful to God for his own self and pray for his successor to succeed.

Sir, the politics of your time was defined by service. Given the sordid revelations being made following the arraignment of former public office holders by the EFCC, are you in any way disturbed?
I must confess to you that I am totally amazed and cannot appreciate the extent to which many people had gone in deserting the people they are supposed to serve by acquiring wealth. I think it is very sad for the country. It shows that this country could have gone far if public office holders used the nation’s resources to develop it. I do hope that in the coming years this era of get-rich-quick will if not discontinued, at least be reduced. Our people need the money for their simple needs, simple requirements and no public officer has the right to deprive them of this elementary request.

Some people are of the opinion that while the EFCC may be doing a good job, it is rather selective, going only after perceived political opponents of former President Obasanjo while leaving the bigger masquerades untouched. I mean, some allegation of corruption have also been hurled at Obasanjo himself, so why has he also not been arrested?
I would not accuse EFCC of being selective. I think they have so far done well. They have probed into many accounts and they are still at it. Of course, the former president was the biggest of all, whether they have probed his account I do not know. But so far, the EFCC has shown some courage in their exercise. The sort of courage they have shown impresses me. I only hope that they can carry on to the end, I only hope that they will not spare anyone. I want them to see it as a divine mission, God’s direct assignment. And I want them to know that their rewards may not be immediate but they will definitely get the right reward from God almighty.

How would you sum up Obasanjo’s 8-year rule, did he meet the expectation of Nigerians?
Obasanjo raised hopes in 1999 and I think that up to the end of his first term, he tried to reach the goals he set. However, from the beginning of the second term, the president became obsessed with power. He seemed to be enjoying the exercise of power rather than the service which power should render. By the end of second term, the president had become a solo president and the attempt to have a Third Term shows that he was more interested in the power than the service which power exists for. He had a wonderful opportunity, which he could have used very well to salvage the country. It is a pity that General Obasanjo allowed the power to become his desire rather than service. He could have done better and had the opportunity more than any head of state that I can remember. He failed the nation by relying too much on himself and enjoying the power more than the service.

President Yar’Adua is keen on running a unity government in which some opposition parties would participate in it. This has caused a problem, for instance in the ANPP where the party has decided to participate in the government despite its presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari saying no. What do you make of this situation?
I agree with both Yar’Adua and Buhari. I agree with Yar’Adua because he is on the seat and is doing everything possible to get going with the job. I think he is being sensible by not waiting for the tribunal decision. It shows he is a serious person and is interested in giving service to the country. Buhari is equally right as the candidate of the opposition. He is right to have gone to the tribunal, he is right to refuse to serve in the unity government because doing so would have been a self-condemnation. So, my view is that Buhari should continue in maintaining his stance even if his party for political reasons decided to go with the government. The alternatives are not suitable. One is for Yar’Adua’s government to carry on without the opposition. The other is for the ANPP and AC to withhold their support. That would not be in the country’s interest.

But that has undermined the stability of the ANPP as it were, with the party deserting its own candidate?
If they discussed it properly in the party, they would appreciate it. For as long as there is a compromise, they could go on. If Buhari wins at the tribunal then Yar’Adua should quit.

Is this idea of joining the party in power not what weakens opposition in the country?
That depends on each of the parties. For example, if the ANPP went there not just to share office but to achieve certain things, I expect the ANPP to set conditions for Yar’Adua, stating that certain programmes must be pursued by the government. For example, they could demand free education in the country and or free medical service throughout the country. If they do that, they would gain prominence and relevance.

Sir, as you turn 78, what would wish most as a birthday gift from the current government?
I would love to see a Nigeria in which extreme poverty is totally abolished. I feel very sad to see a country as blessed as Nigeria is to harbour so many wretched people. The other day I was returning from office, I found poor people crowding the divide that separates one of the roads. They were begging for alms. How can we live in a country like this? The extreme of poverty side by side with extreme wealth.

I told some friends of mine that we have no case against God because he has given us all we need to make life better for our own people. A lot of money comes in by sale of crude oil through no effort of our own. We did not create the oil, God did. It is enough to wipe off poverty. And God has not stopped there. Day by day we get new information. Like cassava being wanted by China. So, we must pray that every one would learn a lesson from this era of Olusegun Obasanjo. We should go back to the basics of service to our people. Service is by far more rewarding and satisfying than the mechanics of power.

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link=%22http://www.sunnewsonline.com/%22
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by BigB11(m): 8:52pm On Jul 22, 2007
Senator to Obasanjo: Leave Yar’Adua alone

Senator Musa Adede was committee chairman on transport at the inception of the Senate in 1999-2003. But beyond that, he was and even till now (as attested to in this interview) a man who does not care whose ox is gored once he is convinced about what he is doing. He is a man who takes on any erring establishment and that explains, perhaps, why he was not allowed another shot at the Senate. In this interview, Musa is as blunt as ever.

WHAT is your take on the proposed Government of National Unity?

First and foremost, you have to understand that this is a problem arising from the April general elections. There were some lapses in the way INEC conducted the elections in most of the states for which Nigerians, civil rights organizations and indeed the foreign observers that came to monitor the elections did clearly state that there were great lapses in the elections. And if that is so, I might as well take you back to President Yar’Adua’s statement when he was being sworn-in May 29, when he said that he admitted that things were not properly done during the elections. If we use that as a basis of our argument, then you can now see why he wants to set up the Government of National Unity. Don’t forget, even as a ruling party, if the PDP won all the seats in the states houses of assembly, governorship, National Assembly and the presidential, nothing stops the president from appointing whosoever he wishes to form his government. There is no provision in the constitution that says only those of our political party must form a government.

Some say having a GNU is a ploy to silence the opposition, do you agree?

Let me ask you a question. Since 1999 till date, have we had any opposition? We have never. Infact, in the Senate, we used to call ANPP; PDP 1, AD; PDP 2 and the PDP senators were PDP 3. Meanwhile, a lot of times we talk about opposition, we talk as if it is a case of two enemies.The essence of having multiple parties is to act as checks and balances to the ruling party.

What is the difference between this government and Obasanjo’s?

I do not think that is a fair comment. If President Yar’Adua was elected under the platform of ANPP or AC and you now make such comment, I can see where you are coming from but today, he is the president elected under the PDP platform.

This government is an offshoot of the previous. In terms of policies and programmes, it is not different.

I think what you are trying to say is that it would appear as if President Yar’Adua does not have a full hand in running his government today. If that is what you are implying, then, I will say yes. I agree with you and I think the former president, Chief Obasanjo, should quietly revert to his farm because he said come May 29, 2007, he was going to retire to his farm. And I think he would be doing Nigerians and, indeed, himself a world of good if he retires back to his farm and let President Yar’Adua carry on with governance of the Nigerian state. I say this for two reasons. In 1999, when Obasanjo was being sworn-in as president, he did say at the Eagle Square that he didn’t beg for the job and that all those that contributed to his election should see it as their own contribution to a worthy course and they should not come to him for favours or appointments and they should allow him concentrate on the job Nigerians have given him to do.

I expected him and I did say some thing to him in Geneva in 2000 when I was part of the delegation as led by the late Dr. Chuba Okadigbo as the senate president and I had the opportunity of seeing him in his hotel and I told him that why don’t you emulate President Nelson Mandela? Have you heard that Mandela is the chairman of the ANC? No because he has left that to the younger generation. Look at over the world, who is the chairman of the Labour Party in Britain, or the Conservative Party? They are all young people. I think Obasanjo has done his best. If he thinks he has done his best, let him allow Nigerians to judge him. For now, I will plead with him to leave quietly back to his Ota Farm and he should allow Yar’Adua.

In the same way he advised Nigerians, I am advising him too to allow President Yar’Adua run his government, let him not interfere in the politics of the PDP and in the governance of the Nigerian state. President Yar’Adua did not beg for the job, he did not ask for any assistance from him, so whatever Obasanjo did for Yar’Adua, he should consider it same way others contributed to his becoming president. That I would say. So, I think the former president is creating problems, first for the PDP, secondly for the Nigerian state. The PDP constitution has been changed and the manner in which it was changed was wrong. He cannot impose himself as chairman of the Board of Trustees, BOT, it is undemocratic what he did.

Being elderly, don’t you think it is good to have him around as a guide?

What experience does he have? Did he go to any school before becoming a democrat in 1999. The answer is no. Did he go to any school to govern the Nigerian state? The answer is no. He learnt on the job. Just like former presidents Shagari, Buhari, Babangida, Abdusalami and others have retired to their homes, he should also retire to his home. These former presidents never forced themselves on him when he was president; in any case, he is a man that you can never force any thing on, it is whatever he believes in that he does. Have you seen President Bush Snr imposing himself on the Republican Party or his son? Don’t get me wrong. He may give advice to his son on national or international issues which his son may seek from time to time, either way, his son has the right to decide at the end of the day whether to accept his father’s advice or not. Obasanjo can still give advice from his Ota farm.

Distinguished Nigerian

If and when Yar’Adua needs his advice, he would call him or go to him just like he would go to any distinguished Nigerian who has something to contribute to the development of the country. It does not have to be a former president. It could be you if he thinks you have something important to contribute towards the development of the country. But for him to impose himself on the party and to dictate what goes on in the party and by extension what goes on in the country , it is totally unacceptable. And that is why we are having problems with Government of National Unity. President Yar’Adua has good intentions because he wanted to bring everybody on board but since Chief Obasanjo sneaked out to Jamaica and returned, things have changed. President Yar’Adua cannot be his boy because he was nobody’s boy when he was in government. Why should Yar’Adua become his boy at this age?

But it was through Obasanjo’s influence he became president?

I see. So through whose influence did Obasanjo become president? Though the influence of General T.Y Danjuma, General Babangida, General Abdusalami and assistance of people like Alhaji Atiku and a good number of people. Did they impose themselves on him? The answer is no.

Are you still a member of PDP?

Of course.

Are your remarks not anti-party?

But the man did not emerge as PDP BOT chairman through the proper way. Is that not the truth? What has anti-party got to do with speaking the truth? I am sorry but that is the truth. Even if he claims chairmanship of the BOT, did Chief Tony Anenih force anything on him when he was president? Why is he imposing himself on Yar’Adua? What he never liked people to do to him, he is now doing it to others. And that is why I am saying he must step aside just like other former presidents have done. I think the way the constitution of the party was changed has made Yar’Adua to toe the line of the party because he is a total party man.

What stops him from changing it also?

If there is a convention today, I can assure you that it can be changed and that is why he is trying to reconcile the aggrieved members of the party, those who have left the party, to bring them back to the party but not with Obasanjo around because he is Mister Know All. At least he is gone now, we thank him for a job well done, he has made some tremendous progress by moving Nigeria forward. That we must thank him for because he has given us different I.D. card in the eyes of our foreign friends, now they respect Nigerians

Are you not being too harsh on the old man?

I don’t think you are being fair to me by saying I am harsh. I am being as honest as I can be. That is the blunt Musa Adede for you. May be that is why I am not a good politician.

It is the same bluntness that caused Atiku Abubakar the presidency.

If Alhaji Abubakar Atiku and a good number of Nigerians, young, old, middle aged have suffered because they stopped Obasanjo from actualizing his third term agenda, then, those are my heroes. Anybody who played a role is stopping the third term of Obasanjo, they will always remain my heroes. And I want to particularly thank the former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Orji Uzor Kalu, Wole Soyinka, Anthony Enahoro, Dangiwa Umar, General T.Y. Danjuma, General Babangida, Audu Ogbeh, Abubakar Rimi and a host of others. As far as I am concerned, if Atiku lost out in the political game and did not become the president of Nigeria, I can tell you that he is the happiest man today and I am happy for him and Nigerians should be happy for people like Atiku and a good number of people who went out of their way to stop the agenda.

All those who opposed it never made it politically?

Most people didn’t believe that there was a plot to hatch third term at a time not until it manifested. Now, if there was no third term, how come most of the senators did not return? Specifically, they were targeted just like some us were targeted during the 2003 elections.

Like you?

I don’t give a damn. I was not born a senator all my life. If I have served my country and my people for four years, I think I should be grateful to God and Nigerians. There are other Nigerians who can contribute. Why must be me all the time? Why must I say no, I want to be senator? For me, the heroes of this time, times we are in now are those who put their feet down, laid down everything they had because they suffered politically and financially to stop the third term. Don’t be deceived, they say do unto others as you want them to do unto you. If Chief Tony Anenih as chairman Board of Trustees under Obasanjo did what Obasanjo is doing to Yar’Adua now, would he have lasted a second? The answer is no.

As chairman of Senate transport committee, are you satisfied with the state of transport in the country today?

Of course the answer is no. Everything is bad, power is bad. Health care delivery system is bad. I don’t even know the kind of system we operate in our secondary schools and tertiary institutions now. Something is fundamentally wrong. In 2000 when I was made the transport committee chairman, one of the things we set to do was to go within the country all the parastatals and projects that fell under the purview of transport committee. We visited the railways and we also sought to know why our roads don’t last. We discovered that most of the goods on our roads are too heavy which ought to have been transported by barges or train.

We realized that the late Sani Abacha awarded a contract to a Chinese company to rehabilitate the rail lines and they did nothing. As at the time we left, there were still wagons and locomotives that were yet to be supplied by the Chinese company. I don’t know if they have done that now. When we visited the ports and thereafter we sought an audience with the president because here was a president that when he sent an appropriation bill to the senate, never wanted the two Houses in the National Assembly to tamper with it, you must return it to him the way he sent it. Even if at the end of the day, he signed the appropriation bill into Act, those areas you have increased or reduced, he would not implement them. So, we thought that since this was a man who thought he knew everything, the best way in working with him by understanding your problems was to allow him see what was on ground. Having briefed the Senate president, we then went to see him and briefed him on the state of the nation with particular reference to transport. We told him that Port-Harcourt which at that time was 87 years old, no rehabilitation had been carried out on it for more than 30 years.

We told him that even the port itself and the late Yar’Adua built before they left office in 1979 was in total state of decay. He could not believe it, he turned to Ojo Maduekwe, then transport minister, he asked if we were correct, he answered in affirmative. I told him that the standard gauge rail that Julius Berger was building was the first standard gauge rail in the entire West Africa sub-region and that there was need for him to complete it in his first tenure. I recommended that we built platform on the rail track towards some activities so that you use it for both the Ajaokuta activities and also for passengers. I pleaded that he should extend it all the way to Warri. Infact, he agreed and thanked the committee for a job well done. When I sat down with his minister to look at the proposed network of standard gauge rail, it had changed more than 400 times now only for us to hear now that they have awarded the contract to a Chinese company to build a standard gauge rail or rather to expand the narrow gauge to standard gauge rail and from what I heard and, if it is correct, then President Yar’Adua has some work to do.

If it is true that it is costing the country about six million dollars per kilometre to widen an existing rail line, then, I think he has to review the projects. So, the state of our infrastructure is in total decay, after eight years of governance and these are some of the things Obasanjo, at the Eagle square, told Nigerians that it will never be business as usual, things were going to move forward, unfortunately today, every household has generator including yours. One of the reasons we die so early is because of the fumes that come from these generators. It kills, it is a silent killer but we don’t know. We are complaining about the GSM operators, why are we complaining? Service is epileptic simply because all the cell sites had to be powered by generators. And the cost of diesel, if you get it, is over N80 per litre. I think until President Yar’Adua gets rid of Obasanjo back to his Ota farm, things would not get better. That is why I would say that Nigerians should pray for President Yar’Adua to succeed and Nigerians should come out en masse to ask Chief Obasanjo to quietly retire to his farm and allow Yar’Adua to run his government.

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jul/22/307.html
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by BigB11(m): 8:53pm On Jul 22, 2007
It won't take too long anymore before OBJ will be adviced to spend more time at the OTTA Farm.
Re: Now Is The Right Time For Obj To Sit Back And Allow Nigeria To Move Forward. by denex: 11:35pm On Jul 22, 2007
What OBJ needs is a full time job that will take his time. He likes travelling. Why can Nigeria join heads with the United Nations or African Union to make OBJ the ambassador to elderly presidents so that he can go around the world trying to convince Hosni Mubarrak, Robert Mugabe, Muammar Ghadaffi, Castro and Kim Jong Il to cede presidency to some young protege of theirs.

And idle mind is the devil factory.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Youth League! / Nigerian Court Sacks Governor, Declares Opponent Winner. Adams Oshiomhole / Oshiomole's Victory- Will 'ac' Be The Champion Party Of The New Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.