Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? (4466 Views)

Udom Emmanuel Completes House (Mansion) In Just Months In Office -SaharaReporter / Saraki: Plot To Scuttle Trial Expose - Saharareporter / Saraki Hired Uboh, Convicted Credit Card Fraudster, To Smear EFCC-SaharaReporter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 2:53am On May 01, 2011
dele giwa is edo.

no matter how yorubanized a person may be, they still identify with their origin.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by zstranger: 2:54am On May 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

He associated with his people (Etsako) as well:

http://www.dawodu.com/momoh4.htm

You dont get it, do you?

He worked all his life with Yoruba people. He was made in the SW. He became a man in the SW. After his death, where were his people? We stood by him when he was alive, we fought for him in death, and when he was no more, the Yorubas took great care of his family. We will never forget him.

Anyway, that article did not add anything of value to your point.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by zstranger: 2:55am On May 01, 2011
tpia@:

dele giwa is edo.

no matter how yorubanized a person may be, they still identify with their origin.

Another one of your senseless posts

Say that to Bob Dee and Sophie Oluwole.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 2:59am On May 01, 2011
zstranger:

Another one of your senseless posts

Say that to Bob Dee and Sophie Oluwole.

As a mark of honour, the Edo State Chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) at the weekend paid a visit to Giwa's graveside in Ekperi, Etsako East Council of Edo State

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=9185

you cant separate someone from their roots in this manner.

and i just checked sophie oluwole's story [never heard of her before]- what's your point? She said her hometown had ten families of edo origin. So?

are you by any chance a yorubanized edo, cos that would explain a lot.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 3:01am On May 01, 2011
zstranger:

You dont get it, do you?

He worked all his life with Yoruba people. He was made in the SW. He became a man in the SW. After his death, where were his people? We stood by him when he was alive, we fought for him in death, and when he was no more, the Yorubas took great care of his family. We will never forget him.

that doesnt necessarily mean you should force him to be yoruba.

or create unnecessary problems where there are none.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:07am On May 01, 2011
zstranger:

You dont get it, do you?

Nah.

I don't get it.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by zstranger: 3:11am On May 01, 2011
tpia@:

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=9185
you cant separate someone from their roots in this manner.

and i just checked sophie oluwole's story [never heard of her before]- what's your point? She said her hometown had ten families of edo origin. So?

are you by any chance a yorubanized edo, cos that would explain a lot.

They are all Yorubas, forget their Edo Origin.

They all speak fluent Yoruba. None of them speak Edo or whatever crap language they speak in Edo.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:26am On May 01, 2011
smh

Why all this claiming? What value does it add to you or your group? The man was Etsako. You think he spoke only Yoruba and not Etsako?
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by ektbear: 3:46am On May 01, 2011
Hmm

How do you define "Yoruba", fstranger?

And you, PhysicsMHD?

Similarly, how do you define "American"?
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 4:03am On May 01, 2011
no biggie.

it's tempting sometimes to group everybody with yoruba as long as they speak the language.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:09am On May 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hmm

How do you define "Yoruba", fstranger?

And you, PhysicsMHD?

Similarly, how do you define "American"?

There are Yoruba sub-groups, right? The Oyos, the Ekiti, the Ijebu, the Ifes, etc.

If one falls into one of those groups, then one is Yoruba.

If not, then one is not Yoruba.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by Nobody: 4:12am On May 01, 2011
Wasnt it an Igbo Saharareporter employee that tried to "pull down" Emeagwali?
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by EkoIle1: 4:15am On May 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

smh

Why all this claiming? What value does it add to you or your group? The man was Etsako. You think he spoke Yoruba and not Etsako?

This is really absurd, so the fact that he was born in Edo = Dele Giwa was not Yoruba? What's place of birth got to do with your life existence? The man called himself a Yoruba man all his life.

The man lived his life as a Yoruba man and Yoruba folks are still in his corner decades after his death.  The fact that he was born in Edo didn't even matter or was ever on the radar.

It's has nothing to do with value or any other nonsense, this is about Dele Giwa. The man spent his life in Yorubaland, he was educated in Yoruba land from ABC level to University of Ife, he not only resided in Yoruba land all his life, his professional life till his last breath was in Yorubaland, his best friend and the only eye witness when the bomb exploded was a Yoruba man, his lwayer (Gani) was a Yoruba man, he married in Yoruba land, his second wife was a Yoruba woman, his way of life was Yoruba, the only folks in Nigeria still seeking justice on his behalf are Yoruba people,

Yoruba elders may bar IBB from S’West

If Babangida wants to come to any Yoruba-speaking state to campaign for his presidential ambition, he should forget it. If at all he is coming, then the only ticket that can enable him to come is to bring along Giwa and Abiola alive

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201009271472287

Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 4:20am On May 01, 2011
let's not make this a big issue.

there are many non-yorubas who can say the same, that doesnt mean they have to start claiming yoruba if they dont want to.

and neither do they have to.

i think people are just getting emotional over dele giwa because of the way he died, as well as his high profile life.

i personally do not know any yorubanized non-yoruba who totally ignores his/her origins, and that says a lot. They may interact easily with other yorubas, but that's not all there is to it.

outside of lagos, it's not that easy to melt into yoruba because people keep tally of where and when folks' ancestors migrated to the area.

true talk.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by ektbear: 4:28am On May 01, 2011
@PhysicsMHD: For me, Yoruba isn't a race, like most people's conception of white, black, asian.

It is an ethnic group. . . a group of people who share a culture. Sort of like how American identity isn't really racial/tribal/etc, but more shared culture and values.

People are free to enter and leave ethnic/cultural groups, in my opinion.

You don't have to be from one of those sub-groups to be Yoruba. Certainly, at least a few of these Saro returnees didn't know much about those sub-groups.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by EkoIle1: 4:37am On May 01, 2011
tpia@:

no biggie.

it's tempting sometimes to group everybody with yoruba as long as they speak the language.

This has nothing to do with language, it's about culture and way of life. There are a lot of Yoruba speaking easterners in Yoruba land, but we don't label them Yoruba, we know they are easterners speaking Yoruba.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 4:39am On May 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

@PhysicsMHD: For me, Yoruba isn't a race, like most people's conception of white, black, asian.

It is an ethnic group. . . a group of people who share a culture. Sort of like how American identity isn't really racial/tribal/etc, but more shared culture and values.

You don't have to be from one of those sub-groups to be Yoruba. Certainly, at least a few of these Saro returnees didn't know much about those sub-groups.

^^as i pointed out before, most of the returnees were yorubas who still remembered where they were from in yorubaland.

dont know why people insist on presenting a wrong picture of history.

and outside of lagos, immigrants do not easily blend into the wider yoruba community just like that.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 4:44am On May 01, 2011
Eko Ile:

This has nothing to do with language, it's about culture and way of life. There are a lot of Yoruba speaking easterners in Yoruba land, but we don't label them Yoruba, we know they are easterners speaking Yoruba.

yorubanized edo may mingle quite well with yorubas- it doesnt mean they forgot or dont acknowledge their origins.

some edos feel yorubas force them to adopt a yoruba identity [i read that somewhere]. I think that's quite wrong and the misconception should be cleared up.

as far as I know, even yorubas with partial non-yoruba ancestry up to the third or fourth generation, still know their non-yoruba history, how much more non-integrated ones.

and just for the record, edos also mingle equally well with a lot of other tribes too- igbo and hausa for instance.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by step1: 4:52am On May 01, 2011
tpia@:

yorubanized edo may mingle quite well with yorubas- it doesnt mean they forgot or dont acknowledge their origins.

some edos feel yorubas force them to adopt a yoruba identity [i read that somewhere]. I think that's quite wrong and the misconception should be cleared up.

as far as I know, even yorubas with partial non-yoruba ancestry up to the third of fourth generation, still know their non-yoruba history, how much more non-integrated ones.

and just for the record, edos also mingle equally well with a lot of other tribes too- igbo and hausa for instance.

That is correct my sister

At PhysicsMHD
Dele Giwa is an edo man but was more incline to yorubas for some reason that are obvious but he always acknowledge his edo lineage. Also you as an edo man should be happy that the mixture between yorubas and edo is working well even to the extent that some people do not know the difference between edo and yoruba.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:54am On May 01, 2011
Eko Ile:

This is really absurd, so the fact that he was born in Edo = Dele Giwa was not Yoruba?

That wasn't what I was saying.

Ambrose Folorunsho Alli was born in Ondo, but was Esan.

Dele Giwa was Etsako, regardless of where he was born.

What's place of birth got to do with your life existence? The man called himself a Yoruba man all his life.

Did he?

The man lived his life as a Yoruba man

I don't understand this.

What does this mean?

ekt_bear:

Well, you're entitled to your definition, but I'm pretty sure most of the rest of the world view Yoruba as an ethnic group.

As for the cultural claiming, I might be willing to concede that Dele Giwa was Yoruba if a picture was produced of him wearing an agbada and abeti aja hat  grin but until I see evidence of his cultural Yorubaness, it just seems like empty claiming to me.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 4:57am On May 01, 2011
ethnicity is much more than wearing clothes.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:00am On May 01, 2011
tpia@:

ethnicity is much more than wearing clothes.

Indeed.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by ektbear: 5:07am On May 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Well, you're entitled to your definition, but I'm pretty sure most of the rest of the world view Yoruba as an ethnic group.

How are you defining ethnicity here?

Are you defining it in a way such that it is impossible for outsiders to join?

If so, what do you consider the groups "white American" and say "African-American". . . would you call them a race, ethnicity, cultural group. . . ?
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by ektbear: 5:11am On May 01, 2011
Is Nicolas Sarkozy French, to you? Would you consider him a Frenchman?

This is why I'm wondering how you define ethnicity.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:19am On May 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

How are you defining ethnicity here?

Are you defining it in a way such that it is impossible for outsiders to join?

If so, what do you consider the groups "white American" and say "African-American". . .  would you call them a race, ethnicity, cultural group. . . ?

1. Yeah, you can't join an ethnicity. It's different from a nationality.
2. White American is not an ethnic group or cultural group.
3. African American should not really be considered an ethnicity, but it's a distinct cultural and historically defined group which you can't just join just by imitating them or claiming to also come from Africa. There are white south Africans who come to America, but we know they are not ethnically identical to African Americans.

ekt_bear:

Is Nicolas Sarkozy French, to you? Would you consider him a Frenchman?

This is why I'm wondering how you define ethnicity.

French is a nationality, and Nicolas Sarkozy is 100% a man of the French nationality. His Hungarian and Jewish origins cannot rule him out as French just as Alexandre Dumas' African ancestry does not make him non-French.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by tpia5: 5:22am On May 01, 2011
sarkozy is french through his mother, not just place of birth or residence.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by ektbear: 5:31am On May 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

1. Yeah, you can't join an ethnicity. It's different from a nationality.
Fine, so maybe I'm using "ethnicity" to describe what should be described as "nationality." In that case,it is just a terminology issue. Yoruba is then both an ethnicity and nationality.

2. White American is not an ethnic group or cultural group.
What term would you use to describe them, as a group? Nationality, then?

3. African American should not really be considered an ethnicity, but it's a distinct cultural and historically defined group which you can't just join just by imitating them
No, but you can join AA within one generation. If I end up settling here permanently, then my kids will probably considered by most to be AA.

French is a nationality, and Nicolas Sarkozy is 100% a man of the French nationality. His Hungarian and Jewish origins cannot rule him out as French just as Alexandre Dumas' African ancestry does not make him non-French.
So be it. Then Yoruba is a nationality as well.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by ektbear: 5:39am On May 01, 2011
Even the group called Ekiti. My distant paternal ancestor was from somewhere else in Yorubaland.

Am I Ekiti? Or the group he was from?
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:43am On May 01, 2011
2. White American = A racial category.

3. Ok. Some Caribbean blacks move to America and become AA, so this makes sense, but this is why I said AA should not really be considered an ethnic group. It's a historically and culturally defined group, but it's also defined racially in a way that assumes that any blacks that move to America will eventually blend in with them.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:44am On May 01, 2011
ekt_bear:

Even the group called Ekiti. My distant paternal ancestor was from somewhere else in Yorubaland.

Am I Ekiti? Or the group he was from?

Ekiti. But that's a different scenario than the one I was responding to concerning Dele Giwa.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by ektbear: 6:00am On May 01, 2011
I think this is just dancing around with terminology, really.

Whatever Yoruba is, whether you want to call it ethnicity, nationality, whatever, it is a group that can be joined. It isn't defined purely on genetics (we've got people with genetics from Hausa, Fulani, Edo, different Fon groups, etc.), but on shared culture. . .  just like "white American" is defined primarily by shared culture.

Anyway, I don't know enough about Dele Giwa to say how he views himself. But it is certainly possible for ties to grow very strong with a group you were not born into.
Re: Tribalistic And Falseful Saharareporter And 234next? by Thatdave(m): 8:07am On May 01, 2011
i always knew that these yoruba guys are cotton wool brains. cant imagine that u guys are here aguing about the roots of an empty head man whose stomach was ripped by a letter bomb he was so stupid to open. many forgot that the original post says saharaidiots are trying to stain the name of the 42nd greatest african ever , who is currentlx working with microsof. who discove red 70% of the bluetooth technology. who is a marine engineer.space engineer . computer engineer . . . wool brains. dele giwa scumbags.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill Rivers ANPP Chairman / B.b. Apugo: Face Of A Senile And Selfish Old Man / Nigeria Has The 4th Strongest Military In Africa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.