Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,021 members, 7,845,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

Origin Of Igbo Town Names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Igbo Town Names (14573 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Vintage Clip of Organised Igbo Town Learning English In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by princeonx: 12:07am On May 05, 2011
dem_people:

Ajalli (my hometown in Anambra) is a corrupted name which was formerly known as Ujari. It was said that the missionaries / colonialists couldn't actually (or lazily refused to ) pronounce it in its original form of "Ujari". We the natives still call it Ujari.

Whiteman still no fit pronounce any of the above two names wether Ajalli or Ujari
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 12:10am On May 05, 2011
dem_people:

Ajalli (my hometown in Anambra) is a corrupted name which was formerly known as Ujari. It was said that the missionaries / colonialists couldn't actually (or lazily refused to )  pronounce it in its original form of "Ujari". We the natives still call it Ujari.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by nwaigbomg(m): 12:21am On May 05, 2011
ifyalways:

Sir,Nkwelle Ezunaka wud then be ?

alright ma, Nkwerre and Nkwerre share the same meaning,
the difference as you can see is the spelling due to variance in dialet,

Nkwerre as it pronounced by imo groups

and Nkwelle  as pronounced by anambra groups mainly orumba dialet

ezeagu:

grin Is Ikwere a town?

yes my brother, ikwerre was never a name of any sub-igbo group or ethnic group, ikwerre has always been a name of a town, there is a Local Government in rivers state  called ikwerre, so ikwerre being an ethnic group was the handiwork of elechi amadi

another town that has a significant meaning is the headquarters   of anambra east local government  OTUOCHA
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 12:27am On May 05, 2011
dem_people:

Ajalli (my hometown in Anambra) is a corrupted name which was formerly known as Ujari. It was said that the missionaries / colonialists couldn't actually (or lazily refused to ) pronounce it in its original form of "Ujari". We the natives still call it Ujari.

ajari and ndiikelionwu are said to be aro,no?
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 12:31am On May 05, 2011
nwaigbo, a begi, no kill me hia wit lafftah.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by nwaigbomg(m): 12:40am On May 05, 2011
ChinenyeN:

nwaigbo, a begi, no kill me hia wit lafftah.

my brother, how i go kill with lafta?

wetin i write no correct?

biko, correct me oooo
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 12:51am On May 05, 2011
Nkwelle ezunaka should be in oyi lga of anambra.I think there is a village in ogidi named nkwelle-ogidi which shares a common boundary with nkwelle ezunaka
I doubt if orumba dialect will use nkwelle rather than nkwere,orumba dialect is 90% the same with those of isuochi and nneato in umunneochi lga of abia state,especially those orumba south communities such as umunze,ogbunka,ifitte,owerre ezukalla,ihie,nkerehi/umuchukwu.
Orumba dialect is so distinct from the igbo dialects in onitsha and awka axis,which is usually the igbo dialect associated with anambra people who normally use "fa" for they, unlike orumba who normally use "ha" like most abians.
nwaigbo_mg:

yes my brother, ikwerre was never a name of any sub-igbo group or ethnic group, ikwerre has always been a name of a town, there is a Local Government in rivers state  called ikwerre, so ikwerre being an ethnic group was the handiwork of elechi amadi

another town that has a significant meaning is the headquarters   of anambra east local government  OTUOCHA
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by abagoro(m): 12:55am On May 05, 2011
nwaigbo_mg:

I'm mad at you brother for typing this crap.Even the colonialists knew Ikwerre was a distinct sub-group and classified it as that.Iwhuruohna has always known themselves as that or Ikwerre-Asaa which comprises of the seven Ikwerre clans.There is no town known as Ikwerre except Ikwerre-Etche which is in Etche and not Ikwerre.On a larger scale Ikwerre is an Igbo group and not a town.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by dempeople(m): 12:58am On May 05, 2011
prince_onx:

Whiteman still no fit pronounce any of the above two names wether Ajalli or Ujari

I think its a case of superiority complex. I've really thought about why they could pronounce "sophisticated" Chinese, Japanese, German and French words and I guess its cos they really never conquered those people to the extent of stripping them of some of their cultural aspects unlike a place like India in which they conquered and renamed some of the "difficultly pronounced words" to words they could pronounce without any extra vocal effort. E.g, they renamed "Mumbai" to "Bombay". It was only changed by Indian authorities as recently as 1995 to its original name; "Mumbai".

vicenzo:

ajari and ndiikelionwu are said to be aro,no?

Yes, they are. Infact in my town, we still very much adhere to Aro traditions; Dressings, weddings, burials and even Ekpe!
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by abagoro(m): 12:59am On May 05, 2011
vicenzo:

Nkwelle ezunaka should be in oyi lga of anambra.I think there is a village in ogidi named nkwelle-ogidi which shares a common boundary with nkwelle ezunaka
  I doubt if orumba dialect will use nkwelle rather than nkwere,orumba dialect is 90% the same with those of isuochi and nneato in umunneochi lga of abia state,especially those orumba south communities such as umunze,ogbunka,ifitte,owerre ezukalla,ihie,nkerehi/umuchukwu.
 Orumba dialect is so distinct from the igbo dialects in onitsha and awka axis,which is usually the igbo dialect associated with anambra people who normally use "fa" for they, unlike orumba who normally use "ha" like most abians.

You are on point brother.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ezeagu(m): 1:04am On May 05, 2011
dem_people:

I think its a case of superiority complex. I've really thought about why they could pronounce "sophisticated" Chinese, Japanese, German and French words and I guess its cos they really never conquered those people to the extent of stripping them of some of their cultural aspects unlike a place like India in which they conquered and renamed some of the "difficultly pronounced words" to words they could pronounce without any extra vocal effort. E.g, they renamed "Mumbai" to "Bombay". It was only changed by Indian authorities as recently as 1995 to its original name; "Mumbai".

They can't pronounce it, the difference is that Chinese people won't carry on spelling Onicha 'Onitsha' 100 years after the white man has twisted the name. The names 'China' and 'Japan' are even corruptions of the native names or names from nearby kingdoms, the Japanese call their country 'Nihon' or 'Nippon' and their people are 'Nihongo'. The names are corrupted only because the native people see Western culture as superior to the point that some people will laugh at you if you spell 'Onitsha' as 'Onicha'.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 1:06am On May 05, 2011
nwaigbo_mg:

please what is the meaning of otuocha,i know that ocha means white,"otu" as in otunzuzo(secret cult),no?
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 1:29am On May 05, 2011
Yeah,that onitsha of a thing provokes me,but not as bad as ibusa,i have even heard some Yoruba people trying to say that onitsha is related to the Yoruba deity "orisha" not knowing that the name of the town is onicha and not onitsha,it think there is another onicha in ebonyi state.
I like this abagoro more than abagworo,everything about abagoro screams igbo,nice signature,yeah bleep him.
abagoro:

You are on point brother.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 1:41am On May 05, 2011
vicenzo, how is 'abagoro' more Igbo than 'abagworo'? or better yet, how is 'abagoro' Igbo and 'abagworo' not?

nwaigbo_mg:

my brother, how i go kill with lafta?

wetin i write no correct?

biko, correct me oooo
Abagworo got to it before I did. See below.

abagoro:

I'm mad at you brother for typing this crap.Even the colonialists knew Ikwerre was a distinct sub-group and classified it as that.Iwhuruohna has always known themselves as that or Ikwerre-Asaa which comprises of the seven Ikwerre clans.There is no town known as Ikwerre except Ikwerre-Etche which is in Etche and not Ikwerre.On a larger scale Ikwerre is an Igbo group and not a town.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 2:31am On May 05, 2011
ChinenyeN:

vicenzo, how is 'abagoro' more Igbo than 'abagworo'? or better yet, how is 'abagoro' Igbo and 'abagworo' not?
Abagworo got to it before I did. See below.

abagworo seems to have a soft spot for Yoruba and awusa people which makes him to sound anti-igbo sometimes,abagoro is a bad ass,dude, check out his signature- bleep umar garbai,now that sounds good(igbo).
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 2:56am On May 05, 2011
nwaigbo_mg:

abagoro:

Who is right between the two? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_state

Ikwerre was an area,not the name of a tribe up until they were given the label of a separate group from the people known as "Igbo". Iwhuruoha seems to be their so-called "clan", at least that's how I see it. But of course, this can always be proven wrong by olf documents kept by british durring the 1800-early 1900s. If any have some documents or links please feel free to post.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:41am On May 05, 2011
Vicenzo, your understanding of an 'Igbo' (or genuine 'Igbo' behavior) is funny to me.

Chyz. . not that my words mean much, if anything to you, but Abagworo is correct. Ikwere people's clan name is Ihnwuruohna (spelled variously as Ihuruoha, Iwhurohna, etc. etc.). 'Ikwere' is Ihnwurohna's nickname. Just like how Ngwa is nicknamed 'Ngwangwa' by others. In fact, just go look into the works of Talbot, Oriji, Kelechukwu Ihemere and others if you don't care for what I have to say.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 3:54am On May 05, 2011
Chyz*:

Who is right between the two? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_state

Ikwerre was an area,not the name of a tribe up until they were given the label of a separate group from the people known as "Igbo". Iwhuruoha seems to be their so-called "clan", at least that's how I see it. But of course, this can always be proven wrong by olf documents kept by british durring the 1800-early 1900s. If any have some documents or links please feel free to post.
Are you guys not tired of ikwerre wahala,is all these about their almost dry 96 oil wells or is it about the soul of Ph town,dont mistake me,i want the unification of all igbo tribes but must ndiigbo die because of elechi amadi,my brother told me a story about how one of them insulted him in the airport for calling him his brother and pronuncing soprachi as sopuruchi.
Please lets not turn this thread to another ikwerre thread,they are not that important,and should not be given attention.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 4:19am On May 05, 2011
vicenzo:

Are you guys not tired of ikwerre wahala,is all these about their almost dry 96 oil wells or is it about the soul of Ph town,dont mistake me,i want the unification of all igbo tribes but must ndiigbo die because of elechi amadi,my brother told me a story about how one of them insulted him in the airport for calling him his brother and pronuncing soprachi as sopuruchi.
Please lets not turn this thread to another ikwerre thread,they are not that important,and should not be given attention.

Was trying to get info on how the area name came about really;but, for the sake of peace, we can drop it. Not pressed.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 4:28am On May 05, 2011
@chineye.
Sure,its this soft spot and and trying to play a nationalist role that made aguiyi ironsi to surround himself with Yoruba and awusa people that resulted to his death,which lead to lost of life of millions of igbos in biafra war and the slavery of ndiigbo after the war,balkanization of igboland,hence ikwerre,etche,oyigbo,ika wahala and the economic strangulation of the east ie 20 pounds policy,no seaport,no functional international airport,the loss of the east became the gain of the west(lagos).
Think of where ndiigbo will be today,if ironsi had no soft spot for awusa and Yoruba peeps,tribalism was,is,and will always be an issue in nigeria,ignore it at your own peril.
Zik is another example of an igbo with a soft spot for Yoruba and awusa whose actions the whole igbo race paid for,this soft spot and stupid nationalist tendency made him to contest in west,because he ignored the tribalism of nigeria,his loss and the need to creat space for him in the east lead to the eyo ita saga which the nigerian propaganda machine used to divide the east and weakened biafra even before its birth.
You can see why i hate it when an igbo tries to play the nationalist game,it doesnt work in nigeria,what works is tribalism,ignore it at your own peril,and spare me the moving nigeria forward trash, for we all know there is no nigeria all we have is OIL,once it finish,

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 4:56am On May 05, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Vicenzo, your understanding of an 'Igbo' (or genuine 'Igbo' behavior) is funny to me.

Chyz. . not that my words mean much, if anything to you, but Abagworo is correct. Ikwere people's clan name is Ihnwuruohna (spelled variously as Ihuruoha, Iwhurohna, etc. etc.). 'Ikwere' is Ihnwurohna's nickname. Just like how Ngwa is nicknamed 'Ngwangwa' by others. In fact, just go look into the works of Talbot, Oriji, Kelechukwu Ihemere and others if you don't care for what I have to say.

We're  basically saying the same thing. The thing that I'm most curious about is the label of "Ikwerre" as an area. It's not foreign to me that a group can be given the nickname of there own town. What i want to know is if at a point, the Iwhuruoha people came together to carve the area of their kinsmen, to prevent expansion of neighboring groups into their land, and came up with a common name of the area called "Ikwerre".  It would kind of explain the name "Ikwere"-"Do you agree/You agree". Sounds like a consensus call of those involved. I will check thoe people you mentioned out though.

P.S.

Don't take it that I don't value your comments. . .The more you're pushed the more info you give which is what I want. Helps me. That is why i do what I do. Kinda helps fill in the blanks with less of a hastle. grin wink cool
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 12:56pm On May 05, 2011
Chyz*:

We're  basically saying the same thing. The thing that I'm most curious about is the label of "Ikwerre" as an area. It's not foreign to me that a group can be given the nickname of there own town. What i want to know is if at a point, the Iwhuruoha people came together to carve the area of their kinsmen, to prevent expansion of neighboring groups into their land, and came up with a common name of the area called "Ikwerre".  It would kind of explain the name "Ikwere"-"Do you agree/You agree". Sounds like a consensus call of those involved. I will check thoe people you mentioned out though.
It's very easy to interpret the nickname in any way, because of its simplified nature, but I would think that the nickname came from outside Ihwuruohna. Most used ethnonyms throughout the histories of various people have been given by members of other groups (exonyms), leaving most actual group names (endonyms/autonyms) unknown or unheard of to many non-group members. There are a number of examples of this in Igbo area, besides, Ikwere (which you're now familiar with, assuming of course, you weren't familiar with it before).

Chyz*:

P.S.
Don't take it that I don't value your comments. . .The more you're pushed the more info you give which is what I want. Helps me. That is why i do what I do. Kinda helps fill in the blanks with less of a hastle. grin wink cool
Oh okay. I understand now. Thank you.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 1:00pm On May 05, 2011
Alright, though I don't particularly agree with your interpretation of some things, Vicenzo, I believe I understand now where you're coming from.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 5:09pm On May 06, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Alright, though I don't particularly agree with your interpretation of some things, Vicenzo, I believe I understand now where you're coming from.

Nwannaa,which part of my interpretation of things do you not agree with? We are brothers(igbomen),we are supposed to agree on things,that way,there will be no room for a third part(non igbo) to take advantage of us,inugo?
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03pm On May 07, 2011
I disagree with your use of 'soft spot', your understanding of what is 'anti-Igbo', your understanding of Igbo playing nationalist roles, and your understanding of Igbo 'balkanization'. I still get where you're coming from though. I've seen this same mentality from a number of other Igbo here on NL. . . but that is a discussion for another day and another place. Thanks for answering my initial question though, and further clarifying, helping me understand better.

By the way, I don't do that whole 'Igbo/non-Igbo' thing, and I also don't really share that 'brother' sentiment/understanding much.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 6:49pm On May 08, 2011
Okay,i will always remember that.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by udezue(m): 7:05pm On May 08, 2011
Amawbia which is adulterated spelling for "AMAOBIA" meaning "Visitor settlement" Amaobia town ppl are various Igbo groups tho they now speak Oka,Nibo, Nimo, dialects.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Obiagu1(m): 8:22pm On May 08, 2011
vicenzo:

@chineye.
  Sure,its this soft spot and and trying to play a nationalist role that made aguiyi ironsi to surround himself with Yoruba and awusa people that resulted to his death,which lead to lost of life of millions of igbos in biafra war and the slavery of ndiigbo  after the war,balkanization of igboland,hence ikwerre,etche,oyigbo,ika wahala and the economic strangulation of the east ie 20 pounds policy,no seaport,no functional international airport,the loss of the east became the gain of the west(lagos).
  Think of where ndiigbo will be today,if ironsi had no soft spot for awusa and Yoruba peeps,tribalism  was,is,and will always be an issue in nigeria,ignore it at your own peril.
   Zik is another example of an igbo with a soft spot for Yoruba and awusa whose actions the whole igbo race paid for, this soft spot and silly nationalist tendency made him to contest in west,because he ignored the tribalism of nigeria,his loss and the need to create space for him in the east lead to the eyo ita saga which the nigerian propaganda machine used to divide the east and weakened biafra even before its birth.
  You can see why i hate it when an igbo tries to play the nationalist game,it doesnt work in nigeria,what works is tribalism,ignore it at your own peril,and spare me the moving nigeria forward trash, for we all know there is no nigeria all we have is OIL,once it finish,

Thank you vicenzo!

I once said Abagworo was not Igbo and this same Chinenye came asking me silly question.

Abagworo is a potential Igbo destroyer just like his likes: Zik (aka the Greatest Fo.ol) and Ironsi (aka the Stu.pid Man).
We all suffer today because of these two men.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 8:46pm On May 08, 2011
Silly statements get silly [i.e. sarcastic] retorts Obiagu. Simple logic.

vicenzo:

Okay,i will always remember that.
Cool.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by udezue(m): 8:59pm On May 08, 2011
Abagworo has a good knowledge of Igbo culture and should simply stick to what he knows not politics. People like him 4k us up with his BS so guy just stick to educating on various Igbo cultures.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 9:10pm On May 08, 2011
udezue:

Abagworo has a good knowledge of Igbo culture and should simply stick to what he knows not politics. People like him 4k us up with his BS so guy just stick to educating on various Igbo cultures.
Was it not the precious Ralph Uwechue that went around campaigning for an Ijo man? Wa-Zo-Vare, my man. No more Wa-Zo-Bia.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Abagworo(m): 9:36pm On May 08, 2011
Obiagu1:

Thank you vicenzo!

I once said Abagworo was not Igbo and this same Chinenye came asking me silly question.

Abagworo is a potential Igbo destroyer just like his likes: Zik (aka the Greatest Fo.ol) and Ironsi (aka the Stu.pid Man).
We all suffer today because of this two men.

No I am different from partial nationalists.If I was, Zik I would not have expelled Eyo Ita.If I was Ironsi,I would have prosecuted Nzeogwu et al.I believe in justice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo? / Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.