Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,029 members, 7,845,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Origin Of Igbo Town Names - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Igbo Town Names (14574 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Vintage Clip of Organised Igbo Town Learning English In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Dede1(m): 10:43pm On May 20, 2011
I am of the view that Port Harcourt is Igwe Ocha. Ikwerre say Igwe Ocha Mbaram while central Igbo is Igwe Ocha Mbara ama. It is derived from the lengthy stretch of white sand on the beach that seems to touch the sky when view from a distanced horizon.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 6:15am On May 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

. . . speaking of town names, I'm nearly done with my write-up on Bonny. Anyone interested in reading it once I finish?

Yep cool
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Dede1(m): 1:11pm On May 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

, speaking of town names, I'm nearly done with my write-up on Bonny. Anyone interested in reading it once I finish?

If the aforemention work on Bonny is precursor to this post: “Bonny :: Adopted Name - Ibani/Ubani :: Original Name - Igoloma :: Named After Curlew Bird :: Now Ijo”, I suggest you hold back.

There is no ethnic group called Ijo. This is derived from Jos what the Spaniards referred to “people of river” they met at the estuaries of Rivers Niger, Benue, Imo, Urashi and Utanmiri. The same thing goes to the appellation Brass.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ezeagu(m): 3:41pm On May 21, 2011
Dede1:

If the aforemention work on Bonny is precursor to this post: “Bonny :: Adopted Name - Ibani/Ubani :: Original Name - Igoloma :: Named After Curlew Bird :: Now Ijo”, I suggest you hold back.

There is no ethnic group called Ijo. This is derived from Jos what the Spaniards referred to “people of river” they met at the estuaries of Rivers Niger, Benue, Imo, Urashi and Utanmiri. The same thing goes to the appellation Brass.

How are we sure that Jos wasn't a corruption of what they heard as Ijaw? Do you know if Ijaw means anything in the Ijo languages? (I'm honestly asking).
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:05pm On May 21, 2011
Dede1:

You're right. There is an ethnic group called IZON, however.

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8433.html

^^^^^

The mislabeling of a group doesn't mean that ethnicity doesn't exist. The "Bini" never ever called themselves Bini, but rather Edo. The Japanese don't call themselves Japanese (a word which is derived from a Chinese mispronunciation of what they call themselves), the Isoko were known as the "Igabo" up until this wrong label was corrected. The Urhobo were called the Sobo, and the Yorubas are today called Yorubas, despite the fact that this is an outside label based on some erroneous Northern idea that the Yorubas are descended from some obscure Arab tribe.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 5:54pm On May 21, 2011
Finished. Well, before I finalize, I just need a fresh pair of eyes to read through it and let me know what and where they would suggest for editions. Thank you.
Here's the link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/55962771/Bonny-Origins I just want to know if it is comprehensible or jumbled, etc.
The entire document is like 28 pages or something. So take your time. Don't rush through it.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 5:56pm On May 21, 2011
Dede1:

Dee, is the bolded why you are suggesting that I hold back? If so, then I don't think you will have to worry much about that. I took the time to address my use of 'Ijo' in the write-up.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:17pm On May 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Finished. Well, before I finalize, I just need a fresh pair of eyes to read through it and let me know what and where they would suggest for editions. Thank you.
Here's the link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/55956924/Bonny-Origins I just want to know if it is comprehensible or jumbled, etc.
The entire document is like 28 pages or something. So take your time. Don't rush through it.

Just looking at the first page I would immediately advise you not to present the write up the way you did.

1. There is no reason to sub-title it "a rebuttal to the Ijo." or to include "after all, some one had to do it." That alone may inspire doubt in your objectivity. (And you are objective, as you showed repeatedly in that "True Extent of Igboland" thread, so there's no reason to give any chance of an impression that you aren't.) There is probably a better sub-title that indicates that the article is meant to correct that history without making it seem like it could be a polemical.

2. There is no reason whatsoever to say the work is not a scholarly work. Just because something is not yet formally published in a journal or in a  book it does not mean one has to present some sort of caveat that it is not scholarly. Scientists do this all the time with working papers, design reports etc.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 6:18pm On May 21, 2011
Alright, thank you. I'll work on that right now. Would that also mean that I should leave off the list of resources at the end? Also, would you say that it is okay for me to leave the By 'Concerned Ngwa' part or should I also remove that?
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:29pm On May 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Alright, thank you. I'll work on that right now. Would you say that it is okay for me to leave the By 'Concerned Ngwa' part?

Personally if it was me, (if I were writing a correction to something relating to Benin, for example), I would leave out a "concerned Edo" phrase because it might be superfluous, but in this case, it might be important to include the fact that you're  a concerned Ngwa because you are speaking as someone who is knowledgeable about specific traditions and history relating to the Ngwa.

Leaving in the phrase would indicate that you're approaching the history from a position of somebody concerned about the distortion or ignoring of Ngwa tradition and history. So that phrase doesn't really weaken the appearance of the article and could actually lend it more credibility. (Just my opinion)
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by beneli(m): 10:24pm On May 21, 2011
@ ChinenyeN,

Very interesting stuff, i must say!

The bit about 'concerned Ngwa', lends it a bias towards any view that would be considered Ngwa-favourable!
So, leaving it there, given the content - and yes, i read it all - may erode a bit of its credibility, in my opinion!

But well done. . .
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 2:00am On May 22, 2011
Dee Beneli, thank you. Thinking about it, you're making a lot of sense concerning the 'Concerned Ngwa' bit. It's best to assume the worst when other people are concerned. So it makes sense to assume that people will be looking for ways to fault the content, before even taking the time to read and understand where I'm coming from, especially considering the controversial nature of it all. I really would have liked to leave that 'Concerned Ngwa' bit there though. Oh well.

But thank you, Physics and Beneli. I've deleted that one and I'm currently working on some editions, based on your comments. Then I finalize. Again, thank you.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:40am On May 22, 2011
Alright. Edited and Finalized: http://www.scribd.com/doc/55977018/Bonny-Origins (27 pages). That is my write-up on Bonny.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Abagworo(m): 2:10pm On May 22, 2011
@chinenyen.Your write up is on point in most instances but I would like to make a little contribution.It is in some oral history that Aros accompanied by some riverine people actually passed through Imo state.The problem is that they all seem to refer to Benin rather than Ijaw due to various reasons.The main reason is that people saw Bini as more respectable than Ijaw and hence lied to their hosts about being from Bini.Bini people just like Igbos are not riverine but achieved marine travels accompanied by Ijaws who later mixed with them to form their riverine sections.

A typical example is Egbema in Imo which has a replica in Edo.The Egbema in Edo is today Ijaw while that of Imo is Igbo.There is however an oral tradition of Benin origin amongst the Imo Egbema.Another noticeable fact is their reference to themselves as umu-oru hence the saying "Ayi bu Oru ma ayi abudikua Igbo".In other instances they say Oru na Igbo bu Nwanne.The whole issue is complex.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 6:58pm On May 22, 2011
Abagworo, what you're saying (regarding the Aro/Bini/Ijo/Riverine traditions) seems to apply more so to groups in Imo state, and not so much to Rivers state. I believe the situation in Rivers is much less complex than that of Imo, but I don't know enough to comment on the Imo state groups and their relationship with Bini and Ijo peoples.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by xtgozie(m): 11:48pm On Mar 30, 2012
IGBO-UKWU
IgboUkwu is a town in Aguata LGA of Anambra state. Its actuall name Was "IGBO", which is one of d reasons it was believed by some historians dat it is d birth place of d Igbo people. Coupled with some archeological discoveries in d early 19th century E.g. The Igbo Ukwu robed bronze pot. But in 1938 some of d neighbouring towns saw it otherwise for a community to answer d name of an entire nation (igbo). It was petitioned at Awka ( present day anambra state capital), which was then the district HQ. After much palava on d issue IGBO now adopted the name "IGBO UKWU"
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by AndreUweh(m): 12:45am On Mar 31, 2012
Umuahia is actually Oma ahia. Meaning a market centre. The Europeans desperate to find out what was going on at a market centre in Ibeku where they just arrived, and the natives said Oma ahia. The Europeans changed it to Umuahia.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by AndreUweh(m): 12:46am On Mar 31, 2012
Okpanam--Okpara Anam. Anam people that crossed the Niger.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ifyalways(f): 10:22am On Mar 31, 2012
What is the origin of "okija" ?

Why or how did the slang "Anam ewu" originate?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo? / Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.