Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,104 members, 7,845,636 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Origin Of Igbo Town Names - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Igbo Town Names (14575 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Vintage Clip of Organised Igbo Town Learning English In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 9:44pm On May 08, 2011
I guess The Council has at last found another 'one of their own' to finally prosecute. cheesy Abagworo, I was on that stand once. No amount of anything you say will make it into the ears and understanding of The Council.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by udezue(m): 10:07pm On May 08, 2011
Chinyen, ur comment is quite silly coz 95% wanted GEJ to succeed Wazovare or Wazobia don't mean shyt. The last I checked Naija no be Igbo-Hausa-Yoruba. We wanted GEJ to win and he won so why should the Igbo feel bad. Whether he is Ijaw or Igbo didn't matter to the Igbo or Calabar man. All our sons from Pat Utomi to Donald Duke stepped down to let GEJ get maximum Eastern support and that we achieved. If it pains u go and get some pain killer and deal with it. GEJ's ethnicity seems quite fluid just like that of Cross River state gov who ppl are also saying is actually Igbo yet CrossRiverine ppl voted for him so who cares in the East about all that. U aint gotta be specifically this or that to enjoy support. I beg go rest with ur whining about being persecuted. U brought it on yourself with ur clannish attitude.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 10:21pm On May 08, 2011
Enyi, relax. Simple jokes. None of it was serious-minded. undecided  Wait, you still have a problem with my 'clannishness'? 

udezue:

I beg go rest with your whining about being persecuted.
I said prosecute, not persecute. Persecute & Prosecute are two different words. I was never persecuted by you all. Prosecuted? Yes, but never persecuted.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by udezue(m): 10:57pm On May 08, 2011
Whatever makes u haPpy Chineyen
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 11:07pm On May 08, 2011
alright I guess. I'm still curious as to if you've actually got a problem with my 'clannishness'. It's not like I'm standing in the way of any people's Igbo efforts and whatnot. So ya'll have nothing to worry about.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Obiagu1(m): 12:46am On May 09, 2011
udezue:

Chinyen, your comment is quite silly coz 95% wanted GEJ to succeed Wazovare or Wazobia don't mean shyt. The last I checked Naija no be Igbo-Hausa-Yoruba. We wanted GEJ to win and he won so why should the Igbo feel bad. Whether he is Ijaw or Igbo didn't matter to the Igbo or Calabar man. All our sons from Pat Utomi to Donald Duke stepped down to let GEJ get maximum Eastern support and that we achieved. If it pains u go and get some pain killer and deal with it. GEJ's ethnicity seems quite fluid just like that of Cross River state gov who ppl are also saying is actually Igbo yet CrossRiverine ppl voted for him so who cares in the East about all that. U aint gotta be specifically this or that to enjoy support. I beg go rest with your whining about being persecuted. U brought it on yourself with your clannish attitude.

Interesting about Liyel Imoke. Actually he is from Agbo tribe. I don't know if Agbo is related to Igbo but Agbo live beside the Igbo.

Checked his lineage: Imoke Ezeghe Efem > Samuel Efem Imoke >  Liyel (---) Imoke and they are probably from Itigidi town.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 1:47am On May 10, 2011
udezue:

Abagworo has a good knowledge of Igbo culture and should simply stick to what he knows not politics. People like him 4k us up with his BS so guy just stick to educating on various Igbo cultures.
thank you for saying this udezue,you couldn't have said it better.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 2:35am On May 10, 2011
OGIDI was founded by a man called ogidi,who was the only son of INWELLE,who was the son of ezechumuagha,ogidi literally means "strong pillar" most ogidi people cannot trace their origin beyound ezechumagha.
Ogidi is headquarters of idemilli north of anambra state,like all idemili clans ogidi dont kill a particular type of snake they call "eke" it is believed that killing it deliberately attracts death to the culprit while if it is killed unintentionally the culprit must bury it as if he is burying a human,the snake on its part is harmless to idemilli people,this rule also applies to nwadiani(children of idemilli daughters).
Ogidi seems to have a very small landmass and has been involved in land disputes with neighbouring communities such as nkpor,ogbunike,umudioka and umunnachi. Ogidi people are mainly christians but still keep in touch with their ancestors in an anuall event called NWAFOR,there can't be ogidi without nwafor,Ogidi is the birthplace and home of chinua achebe, yeah OGIDIKA(Ogidi is great).
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ezeagu(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2011
vincenzo, I mela.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by vicenzo(m): 3:14am On May 12, 2011
ezeagu:

vincenzo, I mela.
nwannem,you are welcome.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Abagworo(m): 2:01pm On May 12, 2011
udezue:

Abagworo has a good knowledge of Igbo culture and should simply stick to what he knows not politics. People like him 4k us up with his BS so guy just stick to educating on various Igbo cultures.

Abagworo:

No I am different from partial nationalists.If I was, Zik I would not have expelled Eyo Ita.If I was Ironsi,I would have prosecuted Nzeogwu et al.I believe in justice

ChinenyeN:

I guess The Council has at last found another 'one of their own' to finally prosecute. cheesy Abagworo, I was on that stand once. No amount of anything you say will make it into the ears and understanding of The Council.

Abagworo has been vindicated and and my Igbo critics put to shame.It is always good to stand firm on justice for it will at last prevail.When the zoning issue came up,I made it clear that the North should be allowed to finish their term but my fellow Igbos screamed "no zoning" and saw me as a traitor.That singular act of going on to contest against his party's agreement simply showed that Jonathan cannot be trusted.Ogbulafor was expelled for simply saying the truth.Nwodo was used and dumped.

The story is too long but I remain the winner because my State was won by a popular candidate and Ohaneze dumped.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 12:55am On May 15, 2011
Whats the meaning and origin of Aba?

Aba means bottle,with that said, there is obviously a deep reason to why the city was named that. I guess you are just going to have to find out because I don't know. cool
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:53am On May 15, 2011
Chyz, where did you hear that? (the word 'aba' for bottle? That's our word) Also, Aba (the city) does not mean bottle, and I can give you two reasons why, tone and pronunciation. The word 'aba' for bottle has a high-high tone structure, and the 'b' is unnatural, while the tone structure for 'Aba' the city is low-high, and the 'b' in that one is natural.

Basically, you've got abhna or abha [HH] for bottle and Aba [LH] for the city, Aba. Aba city's meaning isn't 'bottle', but I've got a pretty good idea what it could actually be.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 5:06am On May 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Chyz, where did you hear that? (the word 'aba' for bottle? That's our word) Also, Aba (the city) does not mean bottle, and I can give you two reasons why, tone and pronunciation. The word 'aba' for bottle has a high-high tone structure, and the 'b' is unnatural, while the tone structure for 'Aba' the city is low-high, and the 'b' in that one is natural.

Basically, you've got abhna or abha [HH] for bottle and Aba [LH] for the city, Aba. Aba city's meaning isn't 'bottle', but I've got a pretty good idea what it could actually be.

@bolded, I'm your kin. grin [size=4pt](shhhhh)[/size] lipsrsealed

What do you have in mind that Aba might be? Also, when was the town actually named?
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by udezue(m): 6:06am On May 15, 2011
@Obiagu, A calabar lady @ my job told me about Imoke possibly being Igbo. We were discussing how certain communities speak more than 1 language due to inter marriages and she started talking about him. According to her Imoke speaks Igbo and is married to an Igbo woman.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by blacklion(m): 8:06am On May 15, 2011
Imoke grew up in Enugu. He attended FGC Enugu. His dad was Minister of Health in the old Eastern Region. So of course, he speaks Igbo and yes, his wife is Igbo. I was told by a local of that area that not everyone in Imoke's hometown, Itigidi, speaks Igbo as a second language. However, due to proximity to Ebonyi, those of them that used to regularly travel to Afikpo and environs on market days or who attended Presbyterian church schools in what is now Ebonyi, do speak Igbo.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 8:41am On May 15, 2011
Chyz*:

@bolded, I'm your kin. grin [size=4pt](shhhhh)[/size] lipsrsealed
I knew it. That one day when addressed me saying "otikpiri onu, ga kporu ali", I knew, though it sounded a bit a bit off to me at the time, but it all made sense later on once I found out that you are part Ukwuani. Anyway, which part of that area are you from though, the Isu, Uratta or the 'Ngwa'?

Chyz*:

What do you have in mind that Aba might be? Also, when was the town actually named?
The town was never 'named'. It just adopted the name of the area from which it grew, Aba, which is named after Aba-Ukwu who settled it. Best match I can come up with, in English for Aba is 'growth' (the good kind; qualitative and positive, if you understand me here).
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 8:51am On May 15, 2011
. . . speaking of town names, I'm nearly done with my write-up on Bonny. Anyone interested in reading it once I finish?
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by blacklion(m): 9:18am On May 15, 2011
For those with Igbo language qualifications - http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/527621
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 9:20am On May 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I knew it. That one day when addressed me saying "otikpiri onu, ga kporu ali", I knew, though it sounded a bit a bit off to me at the time, but it all made sense later on once I found out that you are part Ukwuani. Anyway, which part of that area are you from though, the Isu, Uratta or the 'Ngwa'?

Isu, the part by the river. cool

ChinenyeN:

The town was never 'named'. It just adopted the name of the area from which it grew, Aba, which is named after Aba-Ukwu who settled it. Best match I can come up with, in English for Aba is 'growth' (the good kind; qualitative and positive, if you understand me here).

Yep, I get where you're coming from with the meaning, it makes sense. Any info/links on Aba-Ukwu?
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ezeagu(m): 1:40pm On May 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

. . . speaking of town names, I'm nearly done with my write-up on Bonny. Anyone interested in reading it once I finish?

Please, post it when you finish.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:12pm On May 15, 2011
Chyz*:

Isu, the part by the river. cool
Oh okay. Ngiri wu ama ebe i shi?

Chyz*:

Yep, I get where you're coming from with the meaning, it makes sense. Any info/links on Aba-Ukwu?
Not much is written about Ngwa people to begin with, so I doubt you'd even find much on Aba-Ukwu specifically. The much I even know, apart from what I've already said, is that he hailed from Umungalagu-Obuba in Nvosi. On 'aba', I think I found a better way to explain that. You know how on a graph with x & y coordinates, you get an upward slope? That is what aba signifies; like a trending, positive slop. That's what that 'growth' means. I don't know if the word/expression/usage is used outside of Ngwa-Ukwa-Ndoki-Echee-Ikwere complex though, or better yet, maybe I should say that I've never heard people from outside that area use the word/expression. *shrug*

ezeagu:

Please, post it when you finish.
I'm not sure. It's already about 20-something odd pages, and I'm not even done with it yet.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 5:58pm On May 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Oh okay. Ngiri wu ama ebe i shi?

Ezinihitte.

ChinenyeN:

Not much is written about Ngwa people to begin with, so I doubt you'd even find much on Aba-Ukwu specifically. The much I even know, apart from what I've already said, is that he hailed from Umungalagu-Obuba in Nvosi. On 'aba', I think I found a better way to explain that. You know how on a graph with x & y coordinates, you get an upward slope? That is what aba signifies; like a trending, positive slop. That's what that 'growth' means. I don't know if the word/expression/usage is used outside of Ngwa-Ukwa-Ndoki-Echee-Ikwere complex though, or better yet, maybe I should say that I've never heard people from outside that area use the word/expression. *shrug*

I'm hoping they at least have something more in the libraries or museums in Abia. I plan on going to them during my next trip,Rivers as well.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 6:25pm On May 15, 2011
Ezilihite is the 'Ngwa' part. . . unless there is an Ezinihitte in in Ahiazu that I don't know of.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 6:28pm On May 15, 2011
Also, good luck with your research. I recommend trying UNN though, as opposed to any libraries in Abia.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 6:54pm On May 15, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ezilihite is the 'Ngwa' part. . . unless there is an Ezinihitte in in Ahiazu that I don't know of.

Yea, you are right, it is the 'Ngwa' part. I don't know why I always get that mixed up,lol.

ChinenyeN:

Also, good luck with your research. I recommend trying UNN though, as opposed to any libraries in Abia.

Thanks. I am definitely going to try to visit there. If not, send my folks out there to grab me some books/info.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 1:55am On May 16, 2011
Chyz*:

Yea, you are right, it is the 'Ngwa' part. I don't know why I always get that mixed up,lol.
ebele ngwa ye! . . . I no know anymore whether to laugh or to be ashamed for you. haha.

Chyz*:

Thanks. I am definitely going to try to visit there. If not, send my folks out there to grab me some books/info.
No problem. I would recommend their online archives to you, as well, but recently, they've changed permission settings; can't access them anymore. So yeah, communicating with your folks seems to be your best option.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 5:03am On May 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

ebele ngwa ye! . . . I no know anymore whether to laugh or to be ashamed for you. haha.

They are not ngwa chinenye,if that is what you are suggesting. They are from ezinihitte. It is right beside ngwa so the language is pretty much the same. I guess you can call them "Ngwa-speaking".([size=4pt]although my mom seems to think you all are the same[/size]) grin

[img]http://www./Biaframap.gif[/img]
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 3:54pm On May 16, 2011
Chyz*:

They are not ngwa chinenye,if that is what you are suggesting. They are from ezinihitte. It is right beside ngwa so the language is pretty much the same. I guess you can call them "Ngwa-speaking".([size=4pt]although my mom seems to think you all are the same[/size]) grin
shocked ebele ngwa wo! nnaaaa, I seeeeriiiiously no kno sef whether to laugh or be ashamed for your sake. grin See, mma gh to nma. So wetin yu kno? angry Your mother must be the one from Ezilihite. You should listen to her, if yu no wan listen to me. cheesy but anyway, Ngwa and Ezilihite people know themselves, so no long story.

On a serious note though, I hope you find what you're looking for, when you go to visit UNN and other libraries in SE.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by Chyz2: 5:06pm On May 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

shocked ebele ngwa wo! nnaaaa, I seeeeriiiiously no kno sef whether to laugh or be ashamed for your sake. grin See, mma gh to nma. So wetin yu kno? angry Your mother must be the one from Ezilihite. You should listen to her, if yu no wan listen to me. cheesy but anyway, Ngwa and Ezilihite people know themselves, so no long story.

On a serious note though, I hope you find what you're looking for, when you go to visit UNN and other libraries in SE.

I'm from Delta state,not Ezinihitte. cool. I already knew the relation between Ezinitte and Ngwa. I know you all are the same. All I was saying is that you are different kinds(Ezinihitte, Ngwa,, ). For example, the way that there is different types of fulanis(I'm not too familiar with the different names).Hope you get what I'm saying.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 5:15pm On May 16, 2011
Oh okay. I get what you're saying. My mistake. hehh.
Re: Origin Of Igbo Town Names by ChinenyeN(m): 6:05pm On May 17, 2011
Bonny :: Adopted Name - Ibani/Ubani :: Original Name - Igoloma :: Named After Curlew Bird :: Now Ijo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo? / Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.