Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,101 members, 7,821,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits (14132 Views)

Herdmen And Their Cattle In Front Of CBN In Abuja(photo) / Names Of Beneficiaries Of CBN Illegal Recrutiment+photos - Sahara Reporters / Abubakar Bello Uncovers N70b Cash Withdrawals By Govt Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by sulad82i(m): 3:55pm On May 04, 2011
otukpo:

Am still thinking of how this policy is gonna work.

Enforcemnt is up to the banks and CBN. If the banks support it, they will make it work and the CBN will have to audit the banks activities or employ private auditors to that.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On May 04, 2011
sulad82i:

Since you know so much about democracy and free market, given the situation CBN is trying to curtail and or introduce, what will you have done if you have the chance to make a decision? What will you advice someone in the CBN president's position about how to handle the situation?

a) what situation is the CBN trying to curtail exactly?

b) what exactly is the CBN trying to introduce exactly? Before you answer this please, for the umpteenth time, know that Electronic payment already exists and works in Nigeria.

c) Make a decision on whether to let the market, FOR ONCE(After we let it decide on IN THAT COUNTRIES HISTORY, deal with things?

d) Advice? Here is one . . let the markets make the decision on how people can or cannot spend their own hard-earned money and focus instead of protecting people from the failures of the market etc.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 04, 2011
d CBN is sick, this is not the right way to tackle M2 if dats wat he wants to achieve, he wants to mop out excess liquidity from the market so as to stop inflation which is hard since government still spends most of the excess crude account.
d level of technology accessibilty is questionable for now in an economy thats 90% based on cash.
so if by using circular to make laws dat is illegal it wishes to force the populace to use e-payment which is not within the power of the CBN act to do then i think he is running out of ideas and needs to be removed angry angry
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by AjanleKoko: 6:29pm On May 04, 2011
Hmm.
The intention is good, but rash and not realistic. Why not incentivise electronic transactions instead?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by DECOtech(m): 8:19pm On May 04, 2011
I see a multitude of termination letters flying about in banks in a not too far future.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by dming(m): 9:24am On May 05, 2011
I learnt all there examples I am giving you on my own thats why i was able to know that my APTECH faculties were just teaching us crap. If you have the money, first get a laptop (i'll recommend more than 80GB, minimum of 2GB RAM and processor 1.67GHz x 2). There are a lot of free books that you can read to build yourself up (i can give you links if you want)

I need the links pls. thanks
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by efisher(m): 3:34pm On May 05, 2011
I need a clarification here. Is CBN saying that someone will be penalized if he receives over 150k in cash per day (for example, 20k from 10 different cash transactions ie (10 x 20,000 = 200,000)? Or is it 150k max per transaction?

If so, we need to examine the CBN management for other symptoms of madness.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by suyaman: 1:14am On May 06, 2011
Does anyone know if this policy will impact domaciliary (dollar and pound) accounts? If not wouldn't it make sense to keep money in dollars for large transactions. How will this affect the local money changers?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Kobojunkie: 2:07am On May 06, 2011
If foreign banks can offer Nigerians banking services, I am certain we might see people moving their money offshore instead of dealing with these, IMO ridiculous, RESTRICTIONS on how they can access their hard earned funds.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by thoth: 2:08am On May 06, 2011
This is the sort of thing that keeps our leaders DIFFERENT from the likes of Qaddafi.

[b]After having their economy in disarray due to their own mismanagement, it is not surprising that they IMF and World Bank will be persuading the Nigerian Central Bank to further devalue its currency so that those nations concerned even though they have totally mismanaged their own economy should still be enjoying the stronger purchasing power due to exchange rate advantage while the ordinary Nigerian man's labour continues to be bought for less than a penny.
It has been agreed that further currency devaluation was one of the compromises that Goodluck Jonathan accepted on his visit to the white house on his quest for Power, Nevertheless the first incursion of such change came at a very bad timing , It is important that we understand that the IMF request to further devalue the economy was rejected not because it is unreasonable or that they were concerned for the destructive effects of such policy but that it would be a disadvantage for the incumbent government which hopes to retain power on the coming election, they know too well that implementing such policy will take the masses support away from them, so it becomes a question of the right time not the right purpose because for all we know the policy is already implemented, [/b]

ARIS-EI Dept Report#430221 Date: Feb,03,2011.

There are several options available to the administration to carry out the IMF request(currency devaluation) but we would look at the two main ways that is the norm in Africa, first, it can be blatantly dropped on the masses as usual considering the ordinary citizen has no say whatsoever in the running of the supposedly democratic nation and that 95% of the population are ignorant of the national economics altogether or a subtle and less conspicuous implementation may be chosen where the currency is being devalued gradually and the ignorant masses will simply accept it as a norm(see, EI Report#430104) and it will simply go as “ Our currency is falling” which is the usual way the masses see it in such cases. which ever method they wish to choose it would still have the same catastrophic outcome one more subtle than the other,

ARIS-EI Dept Report#430283 Date:April,26,2011.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by suyamasta(m): 1:56pm On May 06, 2011
Diaaa paapa nyash!!! !!! Na when i d plan 2 make my billions wey i wan d widraw evryday nain dem go put embargo? Dia fada i hope say na joke dem d joke!
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by uthamaputi: 7:15pm On May 08, 2011
Thanks,
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by suyamasta(m): 9:00am On May 12, 2011
This is the most foolish policy everrr. This insultive policy is aimed at terrorising the bank customers and it infringes on the rights of account holders, it is too authocratic and undemocratic. To support e-services banks need to create products between themselves and the sellers of products and services, furthermore any extra cost to d banking public would be detrimental.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by enyojo(f): 9:18am On May 25, 2011
[b]We’ve not set limit on lodgment, withdrawal –CBN
| Print | E-mail
Written by Gbola Subair and Adekunle Tayo
Wednesday, 25 May 2011

THE governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has clarified the controversy over the recent policy on lodgment and withdrawal expected to commence in June 2012.

Mallam Sanusi disclosed this on Tuesday shortly after the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting held in Abuja.

The CBN governor, speaking on the bank’s recent policy on cash lodgement and withdrawal, disclosed that the policy, which is expected to commence in June 2012, had come to stay.

Stating that the CBN had not put a limit on the amount of money a customer can withdraw or lodge in a bank, Mallam Sanusi said what the policy said was that there would be a cost to the customer who lodges or withdraw more than the specified limit in a day.

Besides this, Mallam Sanusi said the N150,000 withdrawal or saving limit was just a working document, saying that Nigerians had up to 12 months to discuss it and arrive at a reasonable cash limit.

Sanusi, disclosing that only eight per cent of bank customers withdraw more than N150,000 daily, said he could not understand the furore generated by the policy when such people made use of credit card, internet and telephone banking when they were abroad.

The apex bank governor, who said the CBN spent N200 billion to print and burn old naira notes, as the case may be on annual basis, said the new cash withdrawal policy would make the Nigerian economy a cashless one and eliminate money laundering, as much as possible.

On inflation, the governor noted that the year-on-year inflation rate declined to 11.3 per cent in April 2011 while food inflation also declined to 10.7 per cent in April from 12.2 per cent in March and February 2011 respectively.

However, Mallam Sanusi disclosed that core inflation of 12.9 per cent in April was slightly higher than the 12.8 per cent in March 2011.

Following the enhanced liquidity in the banking system occasioned by the use of the AMCON bonds to secure funds and the impact of the new reserve averaging policy, the CBN boss said interbank rate and OBB rates softened with the OBB recording a low 6.90 per cent on May 9, 2011.

Mallam Sanusi also noted that retail lending remained relatively high with the spread between the maximum lending rate and the consolidated deposit rate widening slightly to 19.64 per cent in April 2011 from 19.57 per cent points in March.

He said the foreign exchange market remained relatively stable owing to a deliberate policy on the part of the CBN to increase supply to the market to maintain the exchange rate within a band of plus or minus three percentage points, complemented by funding from autonomous sources.

At the wholesale Dutch Auction System (wDAS), Mallam Sanusi said the naira/dollar exchange rate opened at N152.63/US$ and closed at N154.63/US$ on May 18, 2011, representing a slight depreciation of 1.38 per cent or N2.11K.

Mallam Sanusi disclosed that in the light of the state of the economy, it would be prudent to adopt a monetary policy that was consistent with the need to address inflationary expectations associated with excessive liquidity and pressure on foreign exchange market.

To actualise these objectives, the CBN boss said the members of the committee (9:1) voted in favour of further tightening of the monetary policy by increasing the Cash Reserve Requirement (CRR), from two per cent to four per cent with effect from June 8, 2011 to align with the next reserve averaging maintenance period.

The CRR is the proportion of bank deposits which must be kept in cash with the apex bank. The CRR is currently two per cent and is usually determined on a simple average of banks’ daily deposit base, according to a new framework issued recently.

The governor also disclosed that six members voted in favour of 50 basis point increase in the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) from 7.5 per cent to eight per cent, three voted for 25 basis-point increase while one voted for no change.[/b]
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Seun(m): 9:59am On May 25, 2011
Stating that the CBN had not put a limit on the amount of money a customer can withdraw or lodge in a bank, Mallam Sanusi said what the policy said was that there would be a cost to the customer who lodges or withdraw more than the specified limit in a day.
Straw man argument. Nobody was confused about whether or not it was a total ban. Nobody.

Sanusi, disclosing that only eight per cent of bank customers withdraw more than N150,000 daily, said he could not understand the furore generated by the policy when such people made use of credit card, internet and telephone banking when they were abroad.
"Only 8%"? Are you kidding me? So it's ok to harm "just 8%" of Nigerians? That's 80,000 per million!
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by enyojo(f): 12:58pm On May 25, 2011
^^ With all due respect Mr Seun, I do not think not withdrawing more than N150k in a day will harm any Nigerian.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by denzel2009: 1:53pm On May 25, 2011
enyojo:

^^ With all due respect Mr Seun, I do not think not withdrawing more than N150k in a day will harm any Nigerian.

What are you saying exactly?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by enyojo(f): 2:14pm On May 25, 2011
denzel2009:

What are you saying exactly?

I think I might be among the 8% Since I withdraw above N500k sometimes.
But I think if we are being frank, the CBN policy will not harm any person at all!

A country that spends N200 Billion in printing and burning of Naira notes! Its too bad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tension In Jos As Election Tribunal Set To Rule On Plateau Gov. Elec. Today / Labour Declares Strike Over Mass Sack Of Workers In Kaduna / Northerners Are Not Controlling Nigeria's Oil Blocks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.