Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits (14119 Views)

Herdmen And Their Cattle In Front Of CBN In Abuja(photo) / Names Of Beneficiaries Of CBN Illegal Recrutiment+photos - Sahara Reporters / Abubakar Bello Uncovers N70b Cash Withdrawals By Govt Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Seun(m): 2:13pm On May 02, 2011
In our original discussion of the 150k limit, most Nairalanders strongly condemned the CBN for what they saw as a heavy-handed policy that was not well thought out at all and would lead to unnecessary hardship and people keeping more cash at home.  The reason given, 'promoting e-payment' was criticized because there are much better ways to promote e-payment without robbing Nigerians of their freedom to withdraw/deposit their own money.  The 1m limit for all companies (including Dangote?!) was found to be hilarious.

But could it be that we're judging the CBN wrongly?  Well, here's the CBN circular announcing the thing:

Ref: COD/DIR/GEN/CIT/05/031 20th April, 2011
All Banks,
CIT Companies,
Payments System Service Providers
Switches,
Card Acquirers,
Issuers and Processors.

INDUSTRY POLICY ON RETAIL CASH COLLECTION AND LODGEMENT (IITP/C/001)

In view of increasing dominance of cash in the economy with its implication for cost of cash management to the banking industry, security, money
laundering, etc., the Central Bank of Nigeria, in collaboration with the Bankers Committee, is adopting policies to reduce the high usage of cash,
moderate the cost of cash management and encourage the use of electronic payment channels.

Consequently, the Central Bank of Nigeria hereby directs as follows:

1. Commencing from June 1, 2012, a daily cumulative limit of N150,000 and N1,000,000 on free cash withdrawals and lodgments by individual and corporate customers respectively with Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) shall be imposed. To this end, individuals and corporate organizations that make cash transactions above the limits will be charged a penal fee of N100/thousand and N200/thousand respectively for amounts above the cumulative limits.

2. Contravention of this policy shall attract a fine of five (5) times the amount that the bank waives as a first offender. Subsequently, the
bank shall pay ten (10) times the charges waived.

2. Furthermore, 3rd party cheques above N150,000 shall not be eligible for encashment over the counter. Value for such cheques shall be received through the clearing house. If a bank allows 3rd party cheque encashment, it shall be liable to a sanction of 10% of the face value of the cheque or N100,000 whichever is higher.

3. Banks will cease cash in transit lodgment services rendered to merchant-customers from June 1, 2012. In this regard, customers could engage the services of the CBN licensed cash-in-transit (CIT) companies to aid cash movement to and from their banks at mutually agreed terms and conditions. Contravention of this policy shall attract a fine of N1.0 million per specie movement.

4. This arrangement shall be in force in Lagos state, F.C.T., Port Harcourt, Kano and Aba in the first instance. The arrangement shall be extended to other parts of the country at a date to be determined by the Bankers Committee.

5. To achieve interoperability of local currency POS transactions, no card scheme, foreign or local, shall operate exclusive acquirer agreement or contract in Nigeria with effect from June 1, 2011. Any payments scheme, processor, switching company, service provider or bank that contravenes this policy may be suspended for a minimum of one (1) month by the CBN as a processor, switching company, service provider etc in the first instance. The license may be withdrawn by the CBN if the contravention is repeated.

6. This policy shall apply to both private and public sector transactions. All financial institutions including Deposit Money Banks, Savings and
Loans, Mortgage and Microfinance Banks shall comply accordingly.

7. Compliance with the policy shall be monitored by the Banking Supervision Department and the Other Financial Institutions Supervision Department with appropriate sanction applied to erring institutions.

While the Central Bank of Nigeria will make general announcements and carry out public awareness programmes individual banks are expected to
do same. The affected customers of banks should be informed in good time by the banks with clear advice on alternative electronic payment channels available to them.

Muhammad Nda
Director, Currency Operations Department

Source: http://cenbank.org/out/2011/circulars/cod/retail%20lodgement.pdf

Well, you've heard it from the horses' mouth.  What do you think about it now?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by born2boink(m): 2:24pm On May 02, 2011
I will simply dig hole in my house and build in Bank there, grin
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 02, 2011
@ poster, when did you become a financial expert.what does all these grammar mean?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by sley4life(m): 2:57pm On May 02, 2011
i'l start withdrawing all my fund b4 2012 2 ensure there is drastic inflation in d country.Any transaction worth over 1m, would b sent 2 me or thru 3rd party by inter state means. Banks will make drastic loss.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Timi1990(m): 3:09pm On May 02, 2011
dis is absolute Nonsense, watin corncern CBN with wat i want to do with my money. Why should dey make such policy 2 make things difficult 4 d masses.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by nejifresh(m): 3:22pm On May 02, 2011
Am not too conversant with banking jargon, but from what i understand about this circular, the policy is pure BullS&%$&$t
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Godalone(m): 3:27pm On May 02, 2011
This is rubbish !
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by enyojo(f): 3:28pm On May 02, 2011
I think I agree with Seun and the CBN Gov on this.
The truth is that we all cry about high rate of inflation and high case of money laundering.
Yet we are attacking a great policy that is capable of creating a cashless society.

This policy is capable of forcing all of us into operating without carrying raw cash.
Many times, I withdraw atleast N500K a day and it is really great danger taking that home.
We all have adjustments to make here
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by muyoto: 3:37pm On May 02, 2011
too much money=too much mago mago. good one SLS
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 02, 2011
enyojo:

The truth is that we all cry about high rate of inflation and high case of money laundering.
Yet we are attacking a great policy that is capable of creating a cashless society.

This policy is capable of forcing all of us into operating without carrying raw cash.
Many times, I withdraw atleast N500K a day and it is really great danger taking that home.

You agreed with Seun my ass, have u thought of the implication, how many internet facilities you have in ur country, and how many people is internet wise? in nigeria, i bet your Gran-ma will also be doing the internet banking too, or the online transaction, the man should go and sleep
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by lovejo(m): 3:51pm On May 02, 2011
This will increase scamming the uneducated trader by their staff and trusted workers, some traders in Agbeni market, Yaba Market, Tinubu and Tejuosho Market will fall victims many times no matter the awareness, it might be too late before the fraud could be detected no matter the awareness, but with time they will get use to it.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by tEsLim(m): 3:54pm On May 02, 2011
Well they should make sure Iya Alamala and Iya oni bolly have POS machines. THe banks should give this things out for free and charge little transaction fees. Else the policy is just still another sutpid thing. I should be able to walk to any Igbo man store and make purchases by just swiping
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by highland(m): 4:05pm On May 02, 2011
Nigerian Banks are financial predator, beware of them with your money. There mission is to ripe off your money not to increase it.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by lovejo(m): 4:38pm On May 02, 2011
i think uneducated business man will not release his goods to me except he can confirm his money, this will cause many crisis between literate and illiterate.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by reindeer: 4:47pm On May 02, 2011
lovejo:

i think uneducated business man will not release his goods to me except he can confirm his money, this will cause many crisis between literate and illiterate.

When the 'uneducated man' keeps his good for long and no one is buying or business slows down because he hasnt embraced technology, he will be forced to adjust.
Change isnt always the easiest thing, but if its worth the sacrifice then change should be embraced.
Humans are naturally resistant to change, but i think in the end, Nigeria will be better off for the policy.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by occam(m): 4:51pm On May 02, 2011
I Hope the CBN & Banks have solid plan to execute this. The Banks have to be held to account and not use this to gouge consumers by introducing new e-payment fees. My main concern is that our Banks will see this as new source of revenue instead of helping to promote an efficient financial culture amongst Nigeria.  

In the end Banks stand to gain since epayment channels helps reduce their operating cost and encourage more people to use financial services. The CBN should be vigilant and penalize any Banks that attempts to get greedy and introduce unnecessary fees.

BTW: e-payment channels include mobile payment, online, Mobile banking & ATM. There are so many aspects to cashless banking aside from POS & ATM alone; though initially these will be the main focus.  

I believe mobile payment can provide huge opportunity & benefits for the unbanked population (currently about 67% of Nigerian adult pop. ) In countries like Kenya, Mobile payment is becoming popular even in the rural areas.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Gekko(m): 4:52pm On May 02, 2011
If you are against this policy i understand your frustration but please believe if we truly want a modern society we must be ready to experience growing pains collectively so brace yourself and accept change!
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by occam(m): 4:57pm On May 02, 2011
5. To achieve interoperability of local currency POS transactions, no card scheme, foreign or local, shall operate exclusive acquirer agreement or contract in Nigeria with effect from June 1, 2011. Any payments scheme, processor, switching company, service provider or bank that contravenes this policy may be suspended for a minimum of one (1) month by the CBN as a processor, switching company, service provider etc in the first instance. The license may be withdrawn by the CBN if the contravention is repeated.

Can someone please explain what this means in plain language
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by jerryben12: 5:30pm On May 02, 2011
None sense policies! People will operate multiple bank accounts and withdraw from all of them when they need load of cash.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by lovejo(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2011
No infrastructure to implement this, electricity, wifi , and good intention, why selected states in the south, it should be balance between the geo political zone.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by MrInfo1(m): 6:00pm On May 02, 2011
The banks will eventually introduce some fancy account types that will avoid this penalty angry
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Donbrig: 6:31pm On May 02, 2011
I can understand why many Nigerians are not welcoming this policy. But this is a very good policy to curb the carrying of huge cash and reduce crimes. I have worked in one of the European financial institutions and I can assure every Nigerian that this is a very good step by CBN to move our banking sector forward. Nigerians are often resistant to change, but once they accept change, they become the best and unbeatable, even westerners dread our style when it comes to accepting a new change. Enforcing this new policy will certainly have its hurdles, but we must embrace this policy so that Nigerians wont be left behind in this Technological age.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by bagaha: 7:03pm On May 02, 2011
The policy is good for the economy but the country as whole is not literate enough for e- banking- there will be high rate of fraud. If we must give the policy a trial the limit should be 1million for individual and 5million for corporate company
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by tofeenab(m): 7:13pm On May 02, 2011
I am really alarmed that Nigerians are aversed to change! This Policy in the first place should be looked at more objectively.
First, it is not going to take effect immediately. We still have about 1(one) year to fully come to terms with it. Secondly, we have to start getting use to other forms of making Banking transactions without rellying on physical CASH.
Thirdly, People saying they will dig holes at home to keep thir moneys, is to say the least, laghable. It means they are ready to face the robbers, one on one.
Fortly, Cant we see that the CBN is trying to allign the Nigerian Economy with what obtains in other climes.

It is understandable that Nigerians are used to carry cash around but i wish to implore us to take time to understand the policy between now & 2012 than continue to condem same without any plausable alternative.

Nigeria, change your Cash Cash Attitude!
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by kizoic: 7:16pm On May 02, 2011
For me, I think its a welcome development and I think it will reduce financial crime drastically. Ride on Mr Sanusi.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by DonDiara(m): 7:43pm On May 02, 2011
Let us all note that, this policy does not stop the lawmakers from looting our money to another country and it does not stop them from bribing each other with huge amount of money. So what is the essence of the policy @enyojo, @seun and others that support the policy, is it to frustrate innocent business men and women ? ?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by skelemba: 8:39pm On May 02, 2011
To know what's happening in your world, follow us @mypages10 on twitter. If you are not on twitter, stay abreast and get a free twitter account. www.twitter.com/mypages10.
Also get a chance to win free recharge cards on our weekly quiz. Tell your friends and family.
Email us on mypages1.0@gmail.com for enquiry. The Weekly quiz holds every Sunday from 4pm-6pm.
Prize goes to the first correct answer via retweet.(Please do not send your answers via direct message) do let us know the mobile network you use alongside your answer when you are retweeting.
U can also say that '@mypages10 provides u with the latest tweets on what's happening around the globe so you can be sure to stay intouch with you world even as you tweet.
Please Note weekly quiz start from the 22nd of may 2011
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Seun(m): 8:42pm On May 02, 2011
You agreed with Seun my backside, have u thought of the implication,
So what is the essence of the policy @enyojo, @seun and others that support the policy, is it to frustrate innocent business men and women ? ?
After I took my time to list the reasons why the policy is awful and wrong, people still believe I support it?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On May 02, 2011
enyojo:

What has cash flow, or high rate of inflation to do with high case of money laundering? A Cashless society? Where have you actually ever seen that one? Even in Japan, people still pay for stuff, outside of the core cities, with cash. Abeg make we stop creating these utopic pictures of ideas. Also, with a cashless system comes more headaches like electronic fraud etc. Preventing and managing these things cost equally as much as it would, probably even more since banks, and governments need to be constantly ahead of the hackers and criminals, than it would cost to achieve same in a cash society.

enyojo:

And you think Operating without cash in a country where to date majority of the transactions happen underground(open, unmonitored market) will help do what exactly? Operating without cash in a country where 80% of the people live poor, and many are unable to afford bank accounts, let alone ATM cards, will do just what for the sole proprietors/small business owners who have to deal with these consumers?

We can make adjustments without monstrous policies like this one. Allow people change as they get to the point where they can-- we did it when cell phones came in-- didn't we?
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Gekko(m): 9:02pm On May 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What has cash flow, or high rate of inflation to do with high case of money laundering? A Cashless society? Where have you actually ever seen that one? Even in Japan, people still pay for stuff, outside of the core cities, with cash. Abeg make we stop creating these utopic pictures of ideas. Also, with a cashless system comes more headaches like electronic fraud etc. Preventing and managing these things cost equally as much as it would, probably even more since banks, and governments need to be constantly ahead of the hackers and criminals, than it would cost to achieve same in a cash society.
And you think Operating without cash in a country where to date majority of the transactions happen underground(open, unmonitored market) will help do what exactly? Operating without cash in a country where 80% of the people live poor, and many are unable to afford bank accounts, let alone ATM cards, will do just what for the sole proprietors/small business owners who have to deal with these consumers?

We can make adjustments without monstrous policies like this one. Allow people change as they get to the point where they can-- we did it when cell phones came in-- didn't we?

of all these poor people, how many of them folks conduct more than 150,000 / 1 million in transaction per day? You make it sound as if cash is being eradicated all together.
Re: Full Text Of CBN Circular Limiting Cash Withdrawals & Deposits by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On May 02, 2011
Gekko:

of all these poor people, how many of them folks conduct more than 150,000 / 1 million in transaction per day? You make it sound as if cash is being eradicated all together.

The poor people don't have to conduct more than 150,000/1 million in transactions per day with banks -- they can however conduct in their numbers 150,000/1 million in transactions with sole proprietors/small businesses and corporate entities.

Imagine the store owner at the corner store whose customers are only able to pay in cash since cash is what they have -- at the end of the day the store owner counts his till and finds he has made over Naira 250,000(this is actually his sales average per day) what does he do with this money? Deposit it in the bank, right(lets assume that)? Well, this policy says he cannot do that without penalty, every night. Do you get it now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander Back From Maiduguri Reports / Tension In Jos As Election Tribunal Set To Rule On Plateau Gov. Elec. Today / 7 Fulani Herdsmen Sentenced To Life Imprisonment In Ondo Over Falae's Kidnapping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.