Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,991 members, 7,814,382 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students (8002 Views)

FG Pegs Board Meetings To Save N1billion Annually / Jonathan Appoints Gbenga Daniel, Abacha’s Aide Varsities Council Chairmen / Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by MeGaStReEt: 12:04am On May 05, 2011
I still can't get it

@kobokobo, what are you driving at?
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by suwailad(f): 12:05am On May 05, 2011
Oh i thought i was in jokes lol
naija and their penchant for talking about crap.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by suwailad(f): 12:06am On May 05, 2011
Oh i thought i was in jokes lol
naija and their penchant for talking about crap.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by manny4life(m): 12:28am On May 05, 2011
This just don't make sense
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by beejaei: 12:39am On May 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ WOW . . . .all I can say is WOW . . . .

** Half-baked graduate issues we currently have in the country has little to nothing to do with school capacity. As it is, most all of our universities(government owned) are operating at less than half capacity -- have been for decades.

Where is the proof for this? You have a penchant for always demanding proof when you are in a tight corner, and you dare make such statements without proof?
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Kobojunkie: 12:46am On May 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

No, you should take a quick glance at the states the new universities are located in and reach a reasonable conclusion. Claiming that this was really only about upping capacity is not really tenable.
I don't agree. The ONLY way I can correctly judge them is by considering the information given by the authorities, not some assumption I make in my head!

PhysicsMHD:

You should write more clearly.
'many other already existing and established schools, many of which are working BELOW capacity( 1000 -10000 in many cases)"
means exactly what I interpreted it to mean.
And how do you know your alma mater really had a capacity of 5000?
I apologize --- I am trying to multitask
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by ektbear: 12:48am On May 05, 2011
manny4life:

This just don't make sense
?
What aspect?
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by kcjazz(m): 1:01am On May 05, 2011
Is this a forever arrangement or new school arrangement? Cos it is normal for a new school to admit fewer folks in order to get the ball rolling.

My issue is with funding, I feel most schools, like states are too dependent on the FG and it limits creativity and ways to manage revenue.
Plus how big are this schools? If we are talking 2 storey buildings then maybe this is good start but if we are talking ABU Zaria type size, then maybe we are wasting our resources.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by reindeer: 1:18am On May 05, 2011
If there was ever an award for a useless Govt, i think GEJ is on the way to winning the awards.
Why cant he just give a little more money to existing universities, they will probably employ a thousand more per session.
Well it was just for the galleries, we'll see where those 'univeristies' are in 10years.
Dumb govt, hailed by like-minded people. angry
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On May 05, 2011
reindeer:

Well it was just for the galleries, we'll see where those 'univeristies' are in 10years.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by ektbear: 1:23am On May 05, 2011
kcjazz:

My issue is with funding, I feel most schools, like states are too dependent on the FG and it limits creativity and ways to manage revenue.
So you'd suggest raising the money from the students, I guess? That is fine, but means that only those who can afford to pay (or who can borrow money, I guess) will be educated.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by kcjazz(m): 1:49am On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

So you'd suggest raising the money from the students, I guess? That is fine, but means that only those who can afford to pay (or who can borrow money, I guess) will be educated.

Not really, I don't subscribe to free education at the University level. I feel schools have to be run with a better plan; student fees is only one source but a plan helps them to diversify their sources of income.
Another issue is we don't know the funding arrangement. Are this new schools funded with the same allocation as OAU, ABU or is the government saying smaller numbers means lesser money to spend? In both cases problem of quality will not be solved.

On another look at the article, seems to me the cap is on a yearly admission basis.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Oba234: 2:49am On May 05, 2011
wow@500. Whats the point of building the school? waste of money. My highschool in The US had atleast 2,000 students and there were at least 3,000 students enrolled as freshmen in my college.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by fxtopedia(m): 3:27am On May 05, 2011
Is University Nigeria problem? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
What about PRIMARY N SECONDARY SCHOOL? Na waoo
500 what? For each department or faculty? LMAO.

I doubt qualifications of some of these foolish people.
They can't even think straight, too bad!
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by chika4real: 3:57am On May 05, 2011
it is well
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Pharoh: 4:01am On May 05, 2011
Ekiti State governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has announced the ancient town of Ikole-Ekiti, headquarters of Ikole Local Government Area of the state, as the site of the new federal university allocated to the South-West geopolitical zone.

Fayemi, who made the declaration on Monday, while hosting the Minister of State for Education, Chief Kenneth Gbagi, said the decision to site the university in Ikole-Ekiti was informed by the need to give the people of the Northern part of the state an opportunity of enjoying dividends of democracy.

While on an inspection visit to the site, alongside the minister, the people of the town praised Fayemi for not toeing the path of former governors in the country who influenced the location of similar projects to their hometowns.

The new university will make use of the site of the Agricultural Development Project (ADP) in Ikole town, which was said to have satisfied the choice of balance in the location of tertiary institutions in the state.

According to the minister, the choice of the location of the university was purely that of the number one citizen of the state, which he said Governor Fayemi rightly exercised in the announcement of Ikole-Ekiti.

Fayemi disclosed that the university would focus on Agricultural Engineering, Biotechnology and Mining, which he said he believed would be of benefit to the people of Ekiti being an agrarian state.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Pharoh: 4:06am On May 05, 2011
Government appoints vice chancellors for new federal universities

The federal government yesterday announced the
appointment of vice chancellors and registrars for the new nine newly
approved federal universities which will open in September this year.
The former vice chancellor of the University of Lagos, Oye Ibidapo-Obe
who is now the vice chancellor of Federal University, Ndufu-Alike,
Ebonyi state. Others include Abdulmumini Rafindadi for Federal
University, Lokoja, Kogi state; Ekanem Ikpi Braide for Federal
University, Lafia, Nasarawa state; Mohammed Kabir Farouk for Federal
University, Kashere, Gombe state; and Geoffrey Okogbaa for Federal
University, Wukari, Taraba state. The rest are James Ayatse for Federal
University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina state; Jibrila Dahiru Amin for Federal
University, Dutse, Jigawa state; Chinedu Nebo for Federal University,
Oye Ekiti, Ekiti state; and Bolaji Aluko for Federal University,
Otuoke, Bayelsa state.

While announcing the appointments at a press briefing on Wednesday in Abuja, Minister of Education

Ruqqayatu Rufai explained that the decision of the
federal government to establish the universities was informed by[b] the
desire to provide the access to university education to a larger number
of qualified candidates who are annually stranded due to lack of
carrying capacity by the existing universities.[/b]

The appointments, according to the minister, take
effect immediately even as she directed the Joint Admission and
Matriculation Board (JAMB) to facilitate students’ intake into the nine
universities by September this year.

She noted that the creation of the new universities
was also informed by the principle of equity in the distribution of

federal universities to cover all the states of the federation saying
“there are at present 12 states without federal universities”.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by samix(m): 4:10am On May 05, 2011
Universities is by no means Nigeria's problem, its the jobs for the graduates they need to be concerned about really
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Musiwa13: 4:23am On May 05, 2011
that
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by larryshow4(m): 6:09am On May 05, 2011
How would a country Set up a school to carry just 500 people in a state? And come here and start saying this is the capacity we can admit for now? Am sure the youth percentage seeking admission would be over 10,000. Expand the facilities. we have the capital for it. They are more concerned about stealing it into there own private account. build more structures and admit more student. at least they are going to pay, its not free education now.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by heilige(m): 6:15am On May 05, 2011
they should develop and modernize the old ones before opening new ones.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Maximip(m): 6:30am On May 05, 2011
Nigeria's Educational problems are not about lack of universities or capacity but it is the quality of (illiterate) graduates being produced
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Ikengawo: 6:56am On May 05, 2011
500 ppl at a 'university'

LMFAO!

but i dont believe the article, this is nigeria 90% of the threads on this site alone are lies and false flags to get attention or demeaning someone/something, we'll see what happens when it's over.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by birdman(m): 7:26am On May 05, 2011
500 students makes no sense. If you dont have the resources to cater for more than 500 students in a university, you shouldn't be building one. Private sector guys can do that equally well. What the f is GEJ doing?
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Kingabz: 7:41am On May 05, 2011
Who ever postd dis trend shld plz help me tell our useless leaders that establishin 9 additional university wil nt solve our problems of unemployment. The graduate nigeria higher institution is even too much compare to d developmnt rate. I wz listenin 2 a programe on self empowerness where min. Of educt. Advise graduate to even sell beans cake(akara) as 2 be self employed. Imagine afta 4-5yrs studyin 4 does dat got it easily,payin huge tuition fees n labourious readin
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Eleeesi(m): 7:51am On May 05, 2011
Please, let it be. If that is what the government can afford at this time, at least every schools start from 100 level and the following year it will accommodate more. Do you know that we have backlog of students awaiting admission into the present over populated Universities. This development will go a long way to solve part of our educational problems. Let's be concern with QUALITY and not QUANTITY.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Demdem(m): 8:03am On May 05, 2011
reindeer:

If there was ever an award for a useless Govt, i think GEJ is on the way to winning the awards.
Why cant he just give a little more money to existing universities, they will probably employ a thousand more per session.
Dumb govt, hailed by like-minded people. angry

My tots exactly. The folly of this govt is revealing itself by the day.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Chrsss(m): 8:11am On May 05, 2011
Oba234:

wow@500. Whats the point of building the school? waste of money. My highschool in The US had atleast 2,000 students and there were at least 3,000 students enrolled as freshmen in my college.
A new school, maybe ten departments with 50 spots for admission per department, remember they need accreditation to funtion to full scale. make una dey reason before complaining
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Nobody: 8:19am On May 05, 2011
Are they really universities? Lets watch and see the matter unfold.
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by MMM2(m): 9:12am On May 05, 2011
na 2day
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by Nobody: 9:21am On May 05, 2011
Too much emphasis on education . . . and yet so little on job creation! undecided undecided
Re: Fg Pegs Carrying Capacity Of 9 New Varsities At 500 Students by DBestDoc(f): 9:23am On May 05, 2011
500 ko 500 ni
lol
I'm making a mental analysis of dat figure 4 each faculty.I'll assume they will ve jst 3 departments in a faculty n each department not having more dan 35 students grin grin grin
They arent serious @ least not in Nigeria with d population of post sec students growing by day cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alimosho Assures Sanwo-olu 500,000 Votes During Governorship Election In 2019 / Buhari Lacks Capacity To Fix Nigeria, Says Titi Abubakar / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.