Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria (5836 Views)

Boko Haram Devise New Suicide Vest Looking Like A Wallet(pics) / Osun’s New Education Policy Could spark Terrorism – CAN / Lagos To Unveil New Education Policy Soon – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 05, 2011
To accelerate industrial development, harness the human capital potentials and enhance productivity, two university students have devised a new educational system which can positively transform the nation.

Olubukola and Yusuf

Mr. Daud Yusuf of Lagos State University (LASU) and Miss Olubukola Alaka, from University of Ado-Ekiti, came to Education Vanguard to present what they termed as an invention, calling it “A New Unique World Class System of Education”, with a variant going along with it tagged: “Best Fit Political System for Nigeria.”

Both works which took several years of research formed the entire project which the duo described as “Documentary on how Nigeria can be transformed into a strong, dynamic country through our invention.”

They explained that the World Class System of Education involves the following:
[b]
* Increased productivity aimed at making Nigeria a producing nation of industrial goods such as automobiles, aircraft, machinery, construction equipment, etc, likely to solve the problem of unemployment completely or most comprehensively;

*That productivity will start from school early in life exposing children to their areas of interest as both professional and academic qualifications will be obtained at each level of education;

*Government at federal and state levels will be empowered to finance education from preparatory to university level, free of charge, because the revenue/profit from production will be shared 50-50 between government and school;

*The child will be exposed to his/her discipline as early as possible;

*Teachers won’t be limited to classroom work alone, but also work in industry;

*University graduates will be finished products and need not be retrained when in employment;

*The National Development plan will be education-driven; and

*The entire system channeled towards productivity and social welfare.[/b]

In respect of Best Fit Political System for Nigeria, the main objective is to re-order, review and overhaul the political arrangement inherited from British colonialism so as to enhance and consolidate Nigeria’s unity and cohesion based on cultural affinity and traditional values.

“The new political system we envisage will remove the forced amalgamation of 1914 by the British and finally transform our political system from Federal Republic of Nigeria to the United States of Nigeria or the Peoples Republic of Nigeria,” said Mr. Yusuf.

He reiterated that the political system will be education driven, making use of education to drive the national development plan,” in which the development of the nation will not depend on any administration.”

On how far they’ve gone as regards to the project, Yusuf and Olubukola Alaka said they are through with the work.

“The next stage is the public presentation where all the stakeholders in education, the political system including economists will be there particularly at the federal level.”

According to them, there will be a DVD of 18-20 hours duration and another 600 pages of written work.

“We’ve been trying to reach out to state governments including Lagos State government recently, but prevented by officials to meet the Deputy Governor Sarah Sosan. We want help to organize a forum to present our inventions. UNICEF has acknowledged our work including how to reduce failure rate in public examinations with a system devised by us.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/two-students-devise-new-education-system-for-nigeria/
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 05, 2011
but prevented by officials to meet the Deputy Governor Sarah Sosan.

Hopefully they continue to be optimistic and continue to pressure for the attention of the DG.

Nigerian students will get the education reforms they want.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by Seun(m): 11:08pm On May 05, 2011
They should just upload the most interesting 15 minutes of the DVD to youtube. I want to know their angle.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 11:11pm On May 05, 2011
hmmm interesting
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 11:13pm On May 05, 2011
There are plenty of good education systems already in the world. . . why not just use one of those? But most importantly, fund it properly and ensure accountability?

No need to reinvent the wheel
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 11:15pm On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

There are plenty of good education systems already in the world. . . why not just use one of those? But most importantly, fund it properly and ensure accountability?

No need to reinvent the wheel

what works in other part of the world does not neccessary mean it would work for nigeria
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 11:18pm On May 05, 2011
alj_harem:

what works in other part of the world does not neccessary mean it would work for nigeria

There has to be at least one lower-income country in the world that is comparable wealth-wise to Nigeria, but has a good education system we can borrow from.

I dunno, I think people assume too much that their own problems are unique, and have never been seen/experienced before. This usually isn't true.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

[b]There has to be at least one lower-income country [/b]in the world that is comparable wealth-wise to Nigeria, but has a good education system we can borrow from.

I dunno, I think people assume too much that their own problems are unique, and have never been seen/experienced before. This usually isn't true.

Name one and we can start the discussion from there. If you can't name one, let's just stop from here.

Like someone said, what works in one corner of the world might not in another. Put cultural diversity into perspective, please.

This is like asking Nigeria to emulate N. America's health system.

Do not belittle the work that these youngsters have initiated. You need to understand that their system might possibly not only work for upper education system, but also for Primaries, JSS, and SS grade levels.

There's a reason why Ekiti state is having its education summit right now. Not because there's not one education system out there, but to make close to perfection the ones we have and to add new methods (like the ones Olubukola and co devised).
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 11:34pm On May 05, 2011
@Ileke-IdI:
I don't buy this cultural diversity stuff in education. I think it is mostly a function of how much money you have to spend, and how efficiently you spend it.

Math, physics, English, etc don't give a damn about you being Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, etc.

I don't know off the top of my head what the worldwide education rankings look like. But there are bound to be some countries ranked higher than naija which are about as wealthy (or more importantly, spend about as much on education per student.)
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 11:35pm On May 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Name one and we can start the discussion from there. If you can't name one, let's just stop from here.

Like someone said, what works in one corner of the world might not in another. Put cultural diversity into perspective, please.

This is like asking Nigeria to emulate N. America's health system.

Do not belittle the work that these youngsters have initiated. You need to understand that their system might possibly not only work for upper education system, but also for Primaries, JSS, and SS grade levels.

There's a reason why Ekiti state is having its education summit right now. Not because there's not one education system out there, but to make close to perfection the ones we have and to add new methods (like the ones Olubukola and co devised).

good ileke_idi

@ekt_bear

apart from the incomes it also has to do with culture, religion and so many other factors like that come into play
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 11:36pm On May 05, 2011
What does culture and religion have to do with teaching algebra? Or geometry? Or calculus? Or chemistry? Or physics?
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 11:36pm On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Ileke-IdI:
I[b] don't buy this cultural diversity stuff in education. I think it is mostly a function of how much money you have to spend, and how efficiently you spend it[/b].

Math, physics, English, etc don't give a damn about you being Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, etc.

I don't know off the top of my head what the worldwide education rankings look like. But there are bound to be some countries ranked higher than naija which are about as wealthy (or more importantly, spend about as much on education per student.)
i think you should buy the cultual diversity stuff
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 11:40pm On May 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

What does culture and religion have to do with teaching algebra? Or geometry? Or calculus? Or chemistry? Or physics?

it has a lot

i am a strong muslim and in science I would have been tought that God does not exist or God's existance is scentical proven
this i am against

moreover, in sharia states, i would prefer if Quran is tought as a compuotry subject in classes just like maths and english

moreover there are even certian dress pattern the student have to adhere to, which southerners might not like
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 11:46pm On May 05, 2011
alj_harem:

it has a lot

i am a strong muslim and in science I would have been tought that God does not exist or God's existance is scentical proven
this i am against
When in science class is the existence of God ever talked about?

moreover, in sharia states, i would prefer if Quran is tought as a compuotry subject in classes just like maths and english
That is one class out of many. Koran might have some cultural stuff, but the other classes (maths, english, science, etc) have nothing to do with culture, ethnicity, religion.

moreover there are even certian dress pattern the student have to adhere to, which southerners might not like
Then in Muslim-only schools, have that dress pattern. But how does that effect the actual education  Has nothing to do with whether they are passing the exams and doing well on the homework assignments or not.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 05, 2011
spam bot

ekt_bear:

@Ileke-IdI:
I don't buy this cultural diversity stuff in education. I think it is mostly a function of how much money you have to spend, and how efficiently you spend it.

Well, start buying it.

The South was more traditional and religious (African religion) before now.

Religion/ cultural diversity does not hinder one from education, but the initiation of education in those region might be a difficult trivial at first.

How do you go into a village and persuade a woman (who needs the help of her children in the farm) to send her children to school? She not loses extra handy work, she'll need to be either persuaded or forced to relinquish her children into the education atmosphere.

In the North, do you believe all those in the North cannot finance their child's education? How would you persuade the Northerners to take their children out of Islamic schools into the general education atmosphere? How do we westernize (in terms of education) a religious Sharia region like the North?

How do you persuade a family with different reaction to education (from yours) to fund for these schools? To pay for school fees?

How do we strengthen our education system? How do we fund for the resources? What should be in the curriculum?
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 12:00am On May 06, 2011
aight, we can agree to disagree
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by dempeople(m): 12:20am On May 06, 2011
@Op

All of those highlighted points are widely known in Institutes of learning in much more serious countries than Nigeria.  Most or all of our government ministries and agencies have the blueprints to positively transform all our sectors into world class sectors obtainable in serious countries but most of us, even our leaders themselves, don't actually believe in the country as to be so concerned to implement those blueprints instead, most of them are simply worried about their pockets.

We've got the blueprints, ideas etc rotting away in the shelves of various ministries. Those highlighted points constitute a minute fraction of already-existing blueprints in the ministry of education and other sectors.

alj_harem:

it has a lot

this i am against

The last time I checked, Nigeria was/is supposed to be a SECULAR country to the letter.  We aren't even supposed to be practising sharia in the north if not for a deeply flawed type of federal governance in which we practice.

Why should the Koran be taught as a compulsory subject in schools just like English and Maths? To what relevance is the koran in human development and progress? How will the koran contribute to logical and creative solutions to the multitude of problems we've got in 9ja? Where does the Koran, bible and the torah fit in economic growth, provision of basic healthcare services etc?
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 12:26am On May 06, 2011
dem_people:

The last time I checked, Nigeria was/is supposed to be a SECULAR country to the letter.  We aren't even supposed to be practising sharia in the north if not for a deeply flawed type of federal governance in which we practice.

Why should the Koran be taught as a compulsory subject in schools just like English and Maths?

why ? the answer is simple

ok think of it this way

if the south, english and maths is compulsory even to university level year 1

if english is compulsory in the south why can't Quran teaching be compulsory in the north

if yoruba language is compulsory for yoruba student in the SW why can't the same be said about the north

if igbo language is compulsory in the SE why can't the same be said about the northern states

yes nigeria is a hetrogenous mixture of religion and ethnic groups but such policies will only be applied to Muslim students only and christian students or southerners can chose what ever
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by dempeople(m): 12:43am On May 06, 2011
alj_harem:

why ? the answer is simple

ok think of it this way

if the south, english and maths is compulsory even to university level year 1

1) if english is compulsory in the south why can't Quran teaching be compulsory in the north

if yoruba language is compulsory for yoruba student in the SW why can't the same be said about the north

if igbo language is compulsory in the SE why can't the same be said about the northern states

2) yes nigeria is a hetrogenous mixture of religion and ethnic groups but such policies will only be applied to Muslim students only and christian students or southerners can chose what ever

Alhaji, I must say you've really really disappointed me with your reasoning here. Nigeria is supposed to be a secular country which simply means that no single religion gains dominance over the other.

About 1; You've indeed stunned me with this sort of reasoning. And so if English and maths are taught as compulsory subjects in the south, the koran should be taught compulsorily in the north? Why? You couldn't even advocate for English and maths to be taught! What kind of progressive idea is this?

About 2; There can never be peace in any country of the world whereby two religions hold sway. Its either we have a dominant religion or, the country assumes secularity. In the case of 9ja, the latter is much better but cos we've had virtually a porous type of federal system, sharia has been allowed to be implemented in the north thereby thwarting secularisation and setting the country on violent religiously-fuelled disturbances.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 12:46am On May 06, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, Catholic private schools (at least in the US) do one hour a day of religion stuff (I'm not Catholic, so correct me if I'm wrong.) And these Catholic schools do very well on the standardized exams like SAT, AP Exams, etc.

If Muslim PRIVATE schools want to do the same, fine by me. . . though I'd take away the licences of any private schools that don't do well on standardized exams.

But it should not be done in PUBLIC schools, that are government funded and open to everyone. Islamic class can be an optional thing that happens for an hour before school officially starts in the public school, or something. But it cannot cut into time meant for real academics in a public school.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 12:51am On May 06, 2011
BTW, don't get me wrong. . . the best thing to do would be to have a purely secular state, of course. No religion whatsoever in government-funded schools, no religion as the law of the land.

But I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic for the context of Nigeria.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 12:53am On May 06, 2011
dem_people:

Alhaji, I must say you've really really disappointed me with your reasoning here. Nigeria is supposed to be a secular country which simply means that no single religion gains dominance over the other.

About 1; You've indeed stunned me with this sort of reasoning. And so if English and maths are taught as compulsory subjects in the south, the koran should be taught compulsorily in the north? Why? You couldn't even advocate for English and maths to be taught! What kind of progressive idea is this?

About 2; There can never be peace in any country of the world whereby two religions hold sway. Its either we have a dominant religion or, the country assumes secularity. In the case of 9ja, the latter is much better but cos we've had virtually a porous type of federal system, sharia has been allowed to be implemented in the north thereby thwarting secularisation and setting the country on violent religiously-fuelled disturbances.

i must say i am disappointed in you as well

sharia has never been imposed on the south

the country is still a secular country in all reasonable sense, even in the SW , there are sharia court and laws there that only affect the muslims over there

the is sharia in lagos and about 3 sharia court in lagos alone but yet have you heard a non muslim affected by it

in the north have u heard a christian affected by it unless what he/she did was unbelievable

this law does not affect you in any form or way

and moreover why MUST english be taught in the north, what if we do not like it

why i ask

look at saudi arabia today, they are far better mojority of the english speaking country even though they are tought in ARABIC, so can't the same be applied in the north undecided

although english is not bad, i would prefer english and arabic be tought in schools just like french and english in the south

and more over knowing english does not mean the preson is brillant or intelligent/ neither does it mean development

no country is not dominated by muslims, we have had 2 christian president in sucession, that should tell u enough about our though
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by dempeople(m): 12:59am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

BTW, don't get me wrong. . . the best thing to do would be to have a purely secular state, of course. No religion whatsoever in government-funded schools, no religion as the law of the land.

But I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic for the context of Nigeria.

In the case of your 2nd post over your 1st post, logic has finally prospered. We should champion secularism over any other ideology if 9ja is to remain one. Not that I want it to.

Infact, we must adequately ENFORCE secularism for near-peaceful cohabitation.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 1:01am On May 06, 2011
@Alj Harem: Your part of the country is VERY poor. GDP of $714/person (according to The Economist), comparable to Chad, Takijstan, Mali, countries like that. And this is WITH huge transfers of cash from South to North.

There is only so much longer you can wallow in backwards ways. It is putting you all at a huge disadvantage relative to not only the rest of Nigeria, but also the rest of the world.

Saudi Arabia produces 10 million barrels of oil a day. So they can afford to do absolutely nothing useful and still have a pretty decent country.

Northern Nigeria doesn't have a cash cow sitting under the ground like Saudi does. So you cannot use them as a model.

If you do not modernize and face reality, the future will be very dismal for you.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by ektbear: 1:03am On May 06, 2011
dem_people:

In the case of your 2nd post over your 1st post, logic has finally prospered. We should champion secularism over any other ideology if 9ja is to remain one. Not that I want it to.

Infact, we must adequately ENFORCE secularism for near-peaceful cohabitation.
I don't see how I can force those 12 sharia states to be secular, though. How does one do it? And if I cannot, then I just have to nudge them into moving into the right direction rather than forcing them to.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by reindeer: 1:05am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Alj Harem: Your part of the country is VERY poor. GDP of $714/person (according to The Economist), comparable to Chad, Takijstan, Mali, countries like that. And this is WITH huge transfers of cash from South to North.

There is only so much longer you can wallow in backwards ways. It is putting you all at a huge disadvantage relative to not only the rest of Nigeria, but also the rest of the world.

Saudi Arabia produces 10 million barrels of oil a day. So they can afford to do absolutely nothing useful and still have a pretty decent country.

Northern Nigeria doesn't have a cash cow sitting under the ground like Saudi does. So you cannot use them as a model.

If you do not modernize and face reality, the future will be very dismal for you.

Very well stated!
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 1:14am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

@bolded grin grin grin grin grin grin don't think so wink

if you talk about the north being poor then it is you southerners fault if we are to blame

we tried to make the north develop as well but electing a president that would have the balls enough to arrest ibb, ciroma and atiku, insisted you people voted jonathan

secondly, who told you we are at the disadvantage undecided

ok forget saudi arabia, there are other countries inculing norway etc that do not have oil and they are doing well for themselves so why can't we

moreover they have found OIL IN BORNO STATE in billons of barrels so i do not see the problem here undecided cutting from the north of borno to east and central

moreover, the north has the largest deposit of gold in relative to south afric angola etc

where there is gold, there is uranum

so i do not see any problem believe me

i think you suld be worried about how the south will not eliminate minorities all in the name of land and oil

oil is nigerians curse, that is a fact
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by dempeople(m): 1:14am On May 06, 2011
alj_harem:

i must say i am disappointed in you as well

sharia has never been imposed on the south

the country is still a secular country in all reasonable sense, even in the SW , there are sharia court and laws there that only affect the muslims over there

the is sharia in lagos and about 3 sharia court in lagos alone but yet have you heard a non muslim affected by it

in the north have u heard a christian affected by it unless what he/she did was unbelievable

this law does not affect you in any form or way

and moreover why MUST english be taught in the north, what if we do not like it

why i ask

look at saudi arabia today, they are far better mojority of the english speaking country even though they are tought in ARABIC, so can't the same be applied in the north undecided

although english is not bad, i would prefer english and arabic be tought in schools just like french and english in the south

and more over knowing english does not mean the preson is brillant or intelligent/ neither does it mean development

no country is not dominated by muslims, we have had 2 christian president in sucession, that should tell u enough about our though

No. I totally disagree. We can't have particular laws for a group of people and then, particular laws for other groups of people in the same country. Just cos xtians are not affected in the north by sharia (which I doubt) doesn't mean its a conducive environment for peace, progress, understanding and cohabitation. Sooner or later, all these aforementioned virtues, will be disturbed.

You ask why english should be taught in the north. Well Mr Harem, I particularly don't like the english language at all but you know what, like it or not, its the business language of the world and, is still gaining ground in all corners of the globe. And so in this case, its not a matter of whether northerners hate the language or not, its for their own good. The last time I checked, Arabic was/is popular simply cos of the koran and nothing more. Will it ever be a quarter of what English is today? I seriously doubt. So my guy, you can learn Arabic and good luck with it. I happen to know the language quite a little bit cos I've been to Saudi several times.

Knowing English doesn't in anyway make one smart but you know what, it'll help a great deal in life (socialising, work etc) if one could really communicate with ease in the language. Remember, I was born into this world and met English here. I've got not choice but to be much interested in a language that'll help me progress through life.

So once again Alj, Arabic might just be what you need.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 1:19am On May 06, 2011
dem_people:

No. I totally disagree. We can't have particular laws for a group of people and then, particular laws for other groups of people in the same country. Just cos xtians are not affected in the north by sharia (which I doubt) doesn't mean its a conducive environment for peace, progress, understanding and cohabitation. Sooner or later, all these aforementioned virtues, will be disturbed.

[b]You ask why english should be taught in the north. Well Mr Harem, I particularly don't like the english language at all but you know what, like it or not, its the business language of the world and, is still gaining ground in all corners of the globe. And so in this case, its not a matter of whether northerners hate the language or not, its for their own good. The last time I checked, Arabic was/is popular simply cos of the koran and nothing more. Will it ever be a quarter of what English is today? I seriously doubt. So my guy, you can learn Arabic and good luck with it. I happen to know the language quite a little bit cos I've been to Saudi several times.

Knowing English doesn't in anyway make one smart but you know what, it'll help a great deal in life (socialising, work etc) if one could really communicate with ease in the language. Remember, I was born into this world and met English here. I've got not choice but to be much interested in a language that'll help me progress through life.

So once again Alj, Arabic might just be what you need. [/b]

i agree that english and arabic can be taught side

also, if the yorubas and igbos can have traditional laws, then what is stoping us undecided
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by dempeople(m): 1:22am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't see how I can force those 12 sharia states to be secular, though. How does one do it? And if I cannot, then I just have to nudge them into moving into the right direction rather than forcing them to.

What we have in 9ja is a "patch-patch" kind of federal structure otherwise, stuffs life sharia wouldn't have made it into the country. Like I always say, the country is very conducive to our leaders cos they're stealing us dry without giving much thought to the very flawed structure we have as a country.

If we're serious as a country, sharia would never had been implemented in those states at all at all. Its just that our politicians collected nd still collect huge amounts of cash from Saudi in other to falsely maintain such religious structure.

A solution will be for them to join their ever willing cousins in Niger and Chad or practice secularism. These issues are why SNC begs to be convened.
Re: Two Students Devise New Education System For Nigeria by aljharem3: 1:24am On May 06, 2011
dem_people:

What we have in 9ja is a "patch-patch" kind of federal structure otherwise, stuffs life sharia wouldn't have made it into the country. Like I always say, the country is very conducive to our leaders cos they're stealing us dry without giving much thought to the very flawed structure we have as a country.

If we're serious as a country, sharia would never had been implemented in those states at all at all. Its just that our politicians collected nd still collect huge amounts of cash from Saudi in other to falsely maintain such religious structure.

A solution will be for them to join their ever willing cousins in Niger and Chad or practice secularism. These issues are why SNC begs to be convened.

why ? angry

them people u dey vex me now o angry

why can't sharia be implemented when even UK is looking to it not to even talk of nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Democracy Day: Jonathan’s First Year Report - Leadership / Support Rally For Yardua / Igbo Female House Of Reps Member Caught Pants Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.