Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,696 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound (19788 Views)

Another 15-year Child In Kaduna Kidnapped And Forced Conversion To Islam / Soyinkas Speech At Harvard. The Real Text / 5 Lagos-bound Passengers Kidnapped At Benin-Ore Sagamu Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:40pm On May 06, 2011
@ SEFAGO, it's weird, I honestly believe that in general, Northerners are just as intelligent as southerners, but their culture is holding them back. The question of intelligence differences due to culture is a very interesting and unresolved issue.

And what proof do you have that Carribeans outperform Africans?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, based on the number of academics with Carribean origins I've seen occupying prominent faculty positions, but I'm just wondering how you reached that conclusion. Any data to back it up? Remember, Africans probably school in a lot more countries than Carribeans.

1 Like

Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by SEFAGO(m): 8:02pm On May 06, 2011
@ SEFAGO, it's weird, I honestly believe that in general, Northerners are just as intelligent as southerners, but their culture is holding them back. The question of intelligence differences due to culture is a very interesting and unresolved issue.

I believe that too, and thats why I always point out at culture a lot. I am strongly convinced that logic is strongly predicated on culture than anything else. If the East European Jews who might be wicked smart, but I bet it has a lot to do with all that Torah reading they had to do in the past grin

And what proof do you have that Carribeans outperform Africans?

Observation, and I read Lani Guinier's paper on African immigrants where she gave a break down of staistics a long time ago. Would search for it later when I am less busy. I am sure you know the paper since it has been overquoted everywhere.

Remember, Africans probably school in a lot more countries than Carribeans.

I was talking of African Immigrants in the US and Carribean immigrants in the US. Also on a per capita basis as opposed by pure numbers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, based on the number of academics with Carribean origins I've seen occupying prominent faculty positions

Hmm I was talking more at the education level than academia. Hmm, I am kind of interested, can you link me to these caribbean professors because I have never seen any tbh
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:34pm On May 06, 2011
I have not read that paper by Lani Guinier.

I'll look up some names of some Caribbeans, but Lani Guinier is one to start with.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by abadaba(m): 8:42pm On May 06, 2011
MODS,
This thread has no business here as it belongs to the education section. Meanwhile, congrats to the young Nigerian. It is a pity some nairalanders do not know that education and other sections exist in this forum. What a shame.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by SEFAGO(m): 8:48pm On May 06, 2011
True, the thread should be reported lol to a moderator

But dont burst a vein about this genius girl of Yoruba extraction grin
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by abadaba(m): 8:50pm On May 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

True, the thread should be reported lol to a moderator

But dont burst a vein about this genius girl of Yoruba extraction grin
Spot on.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:01pm On May 06, 2011

1 Like

Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:35pm On May 06, 2011
An interesting article I came across:

The Myth of Black Immigrant Privilege

I don't agree with all of it, but it was well-argued.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by OAM4J: 9:39pm On May 06, 2011
Impressive.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by kokoye(m): 9:47pm On May 06, 2011
I am happy and proud of her.

My 18yr old niece just got a full scholarship (basketball) into Harvard.

who wouldnt be proud??

go girls!!
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 9:47pm On May 06, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

An interesting article I came across:
The Myth of Black Immigrant Privilege
I don't agree with all of it, but it was well-argued.

That article is an indictment of our collective mentality as Africans:

The argument that black immigrants are more highly educated also distorts the reality by conflating black immigrants together. [size=18pt]African immigrants are, on average, far more highly educated than Caribbean immigrants, or even white Americans, having the highest portion of advanced degrees among any ethnic group besides Indians[/size]. By contrast, Caribbean immigrants have roughly the same levels of “low” educational attainment as African-Americans,[4] and are more likely to come from poverty than are African-Americans. According to one recent study, 22 % of African-Americans had incomes below the poverty level, compared to 34 % for Haitians,[5] for example, despite the fact that Haitians have significantly less “low” education than do other African-Americans or Caribbean immigrants. Language poses a significant barrier to Caribbean immigrants from French and Spanish-speaking societies, and they are as a result less likely to do well on standardized testing or to get jobs with employers who favor English-speaking employees. In this respect, the English-speaking Caribbean groups have an advantage over other Caribbean immigrants, although their socio-economic status still falls below U.S. norms, and most Anglophone Caribbean immigrants tend to live in the same impoverished inner-city neighborhoods, as do African-Americans, with the same limited access to good schools and educational services

That right there is enough for us all to bury our heads in shame.
I have seen it countless times and it saddens me every time I see that.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by chiogo(f): 9:53pm On May 06, 2011
WOW!!!!! I'm so proud of her!! Really impressive. And she's only 15. Still wondering why Yale didn't take her. Harvard is a great choice, the best choice, in my opinion. She's definitely a genius, her family must be so proud.

Private or pilot schools are def. the way.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by SEFAGO(m): 9:55pm On May 06, 2011
That right there is enough for us all to bury our heads in shame.

^ egbon, why u vexed now, elaborate more, dont get ur point.

I have seen it countless times and it saddens me every time I see that.

Agree, this s/h/i/t is overquoted though.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by sulad82i(m): 10:08pm On May 06, 2011
We all wish her good luck in her studies and hope she wont get distracted by the attention she's getting.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by vanitty: 10:14pm On May 06, 2011
Proud mama
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by bkbabe97y(m): 10:15pm On May 06, 2011
Wow, still waiting to see how Dede1, Ezeuche, Onlytruth and the rest of "The Monkey Pack" respond to this news. . . . . . .
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by obowunmi(m): 10:16pm On May 06, 2011
Stay away from Nigerian men if you want to keep your sanity --- or else, they will fck ur obo finish and dump ur ass ---- doesn't matter how smart you are. esp. the so-called college xtian boys.

Congrats babe and best of luck in your endeavors.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by ektbear: 10:16pm On May 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

I differ. Educational Status =/ High Intelligence or even any sort of intelligence. It signifies opportunity especially in the third world. In developed countries like the US where human capital is exploited to the highest, then maybe such a correlation would not seem out of place. Considering the fact that her father and mother grew up in Nigeria, it would be safe to point out that they are a product of opportunity.
Right, so in a 1st world sort of context (like this girl we are discussing), then educational status should correlate pretty highly with intelligence.

I was going to argue more though, but I just noticed that it seems I have been misconstrued (probably my fault). I erroneously equated environment=culture which is really what I wanted to argue. That being immersed in a certain culture drives intelligence and educational achievement. Anyways, my interest lies in how culture can affect perceived intelligence and educational achievement i.e I am not too interested in intelligence differences within groups of the same culture and heritage. More interested in why Yoruba/Igbo/Minorities tend to outperform northerners.
I see. Yeah, so I guess I misunderstood you. . . sort of assumed by nurture you meant how a kid is being raised within one specific culture. Not cross-cultural comparisons.
But I guess it is pretty clear why southern Nigerians outperform Northerners, no? If you are wasting so much talent by marrying girls off at 13-14, and then making your boys spend however many hours a day memorizing the Koran, not much good will come of that. They need to tweak their culture slightly and incorporate some new things into it to be more competitive.

Lol, hope you are not going to pre-screen your wife using IQ . If you buy big koboko and cane your kids sufficiently and make them work hard they will do fine. That's what both Ileke-Idi and I  plan to do for our kids. Beat the shyt out of them.
Nah, no iq test, lol. But you can figure out roughly the same thing using some of these other correlated variables (education being one of them, like I said.) Anyway, it isn't the be-all end-all of life for me. . . just not going to do what other people I know have done. . . marry a very dumb (but very hot) woman.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Katsumoto: 10:18pm On May 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Wow, still waiting to see how Dede1, Ezeuche, Onlytruth and the rest of "The Monkey Pack" respond to this news. . . . . . .

EzeUche commented; see below. Hows it going in BK?

EzeUche_:

Well done! smiley
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 06, 2011
good thing. Her apparently strong religious background is going to be her obstacle to success, though!  undecided
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by bkbabe97y(m): 10:21pm On May 06, 2011
Katsumoto:

EzeUche commented; see below. Hows it going in BK?

Ah, its cool! Same ol'. How u been? Hope all's been good with you.

Somehow I missed Ezeuche's comment (I just mostly skip thru a lot of this junk these days). Lemme guess, he musta said somethn real crazy!
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by bkbabe97y(m): 10:23pm On May 06, 2011
EzeUche:

Well Done

Wat da. . . .?!

Who the hell hacked the King tribalist's account?
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Natasha2(f): 10:23pm On May 06, 2011
wow that's great cheesy
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by dempeople(m): 10:26pm On May 06, 2011
Kudos to the young lady. A remarkable achievement. By the way, why all the overt excitement? Some nutheads have even started comparing this achievement to other ethnic nationalities. There're such achievers everywhere. Nothing so special.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 10:29pm On May 06, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ egbon, why u vexed now, elaborate more, dont get your point.

Agree, this s/h/i/t is overquoted though.

I am not angry at all. The point is we have not really achieved much, PRACTICALLY,  with the 'pali' we are always eager to parade.

How many patents do we have, collectively, compared to others? And, even beyond that how have the so called 'highly educated' ones amongst us impact the community they live in,  here or back home. Over the years, even before Clarence Page's article came out dubbing Immigrant Africans as model minority, it was evident to every one that Africans, as a whole, and Nigerians in particular parade lotsa degrees with very little to show for it in terms numbers of high value publications, patents, inventions, and even, no offense intended,  WRT original ideas. We just seem in-capable of translating our class-room smarts into real-life smarts that could be beneficial to others.

My point is that relative to others, eg the Indians, who have been able to produce people like Ramachandran et al, Tata Motors and Nanos etc.,we are just lacking behind, satisfied with shyyty/ subliminally deriding accolades like model minority, and getting into Harvard in trickles, while the rest of the world move past us developmentally.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 06, 2011
Intelligent like her genius hero '' Awolowo ''. grin keep our flag flying high,i mean ODUA flag !
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by isalegan2: 10:34pm On May 06, 2011
Eko Ile:

15-Year-Old Edison, N.J., Girl Is Ivy-Bound

- Saheela Ibraheem, of Edison, N.J., is every college's dream. She plays soccer, softball, the trombone. She scored an almost perfect SAT. And she's a nice, humble, normal girl.

Nigerian and Muslimah.  Very good!

sauer: Her apparently strong religious background is going to be her obstacle to success, though!

Apparently. cry  Tragic.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 10:36pm On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

But I guess it is pretty[b] clear why southern Nigerians outperform Northerners[/b], no? If you are wasting so much talent by marrying girls off at 13-14, and then making your boys spend however many hours a day memorizing the Koran, not much good will come of that. They need to tweak their culture slightly and incorporate some new things into it to be more competitive.

Where did you get that from?

Going by JAMB results, they do pretty well, better than southerners as a matter of fact.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Limaoscar: 10:36pm On May 06, 2011
^ You beat me to it. I thot they were hausa at first then I did some backtracking. Seems they are from osun- where is fstranger to sing praises about Osun people?

Also her father has a PhD too though so it makes sense why his daughter would be high achieving. The girl is smart sha, doff my hat to her, see how everyone is trying to claim her, black, African, nigerian, yoruba, muslims, female- all factions.

Good she plans to be a scientist not crap like medicine that most Nigerian-American parents push their kids to study.

You're kidding about the bold sentence right??

I join every well meaning people on this forum to congratulate to the young lady.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:41pm On May 06, 2011
zstranger:

I am not angry at all. The point is we have not really achieved much, PRACTICALLY,  with the 'pali' we are always eager to parade.

How many patents do we have, collectively, compared to others? And, even beyond that how have the so called 'highly educated' ones amongst us impact the community they live in,  here or back home. Over the years, even before Clarence Page's article came out dubbing Immigrant Africans as model minority, it was evident to every one that Africans, as a whole, and Nigerians in particular parade lotsa degrees with very little to show for it in terms numbers of high value publications, patents, inventions, and even, no offense intended,  WRT original ideas. We just seem in-capable of translating our class-room smarts into real-life smarts that could be beneficial to others.

My point is that relative to others, eg the Indians, who have been able to produce people like Ramachandran et al, Tata Motors and Nanos etc.,we are just lacking behind, satisfied with shyyty/ subliminally deriding accolades like model minority, and getting into Harvard in trickles, while the rest of the world move past us developmentally.

You're right.

It's sad.

Anyways, while I was looking for Caribbean scientists, I did come across several Nigerians.

Like this Fayé Briggs fellow, a Nigerian American who seems to have [url=http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/bios?n=Faye%20A.%20Briggs&f=Fellows]some original contributions[/url] in his field.

Overall you really are right though. I can't explain it. It's like, in science and applications of science, those of us who choose that path just don't try hard enough.

I think it has something to do with the title obsessed culture of Nigeria and that title loving mentality that could rub off on youth. If you feel like a big man after you get  your graduate degree and feel like you've "made it," are you really going to strive as hard in science or technology to outshine everybody? I think Nigerian culture (s) may in some sense hinder Nigerians from trying to develop a very high level of competitiveness, like Europeans, Asians, Americans, etc.

(edited: lots of mistakes)
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by gidson12(m): 10:47pm On May 06, 2011
kudos, impressive
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by tanimz(f): 10:48pm On May 06, 2011
Way to go Saheela! I wish you all the best in life. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Nzeogwu Shot Mum. Nzeogwu Was A Murdering Physcopath . / Fayemi Creates Additional 19 Local Government Councils / Video Of Former Human Trafficker And Prostitute Now A Legislator In NIGERIA!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.