Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,943 members, 7,852,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:38 PM

Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person (57065 Views)

Help Me Confirm If I Am HIV Positive / I Just Found Out My Sister Is An HIV Patient : Please Help / Can An HIV Negative Woman And Her HIV Positive Partner Conceive Naturally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by crazymommy(f): 10:52am On Jul 04, 2021
Meninmen:

I have opened the link to read it. So what is your understanding of the write up?
This is not my understanding...it is what I do for a living...
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 04, 2021
crazymommy:

My dear, I don't know what you guys are driving at, but I stand by my earlier comment; Someone who has undetectable viral load will still test positive for HIV.
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by crazymommy(f): 10:57am On Jul 04, 2021
SirLakes:

Where did you see your own C vaccine?

There's no vaccine for C
I was shocked when that guy said so...i will say it here again...currently there is no confirmed vaccines for Hepatitis C but a type of therapy known as pan-genotypic direct-acting antivirals (DAAs can be done....
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by crazymommy(f): 10:59am On Jul 04, 2021
Meninmen:

My dear, I don't know what you guys are driving at, but I stand by my earlier comment; Someone who has undetectable viral load will still test positive for HIV.
Ok
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by crazymommy(f): 10:59am On Jul 04, 2021
Lol...alot of people are not willing to learn...ITK...no wonder the country is where it is today....I know it all kills so many people...
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 04, 2021
crazymommy:
Ok

The link you posted didn't solve the argument on ground which was why I asked you if you understand what the write up said.

The write-up said "With proper adherence, ART can reduce HIV to such low levels that the virus can no longer be detected in normal blood tests. This is called having an ‘undetectable’ viral load".

Nobody is arguing the above Statement. When you do viral load, you are checking for the antigen (the virus itself). So for a person with undetectable viral load, the virus may not be detected in a blood test.

However, if you test for antibodies to the virus (which is the most common method to determine if someone has HIV or not), the individual will always test positive for HIV antibodies, meaning he/she is infected.

Hence, one with undetectable viral load will still test positive when screened for HIV! This is my point!
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by azpekuliar: 11:13am On Jul 04, 2021
crazymommy:
lol....PCR test will not be done if they do not know the history of the virus in your body....undetectable is used to describe a situation whereby the person with history of HIV is showing negative when tested...it is undetectable In the sense that he or she has the virus but the test keeps saying negative even when the history shows that the virus was in that body...so that is why it says the test is not detecting it...it does not mean it is not present but the viral load is very low and the basic test is not seeing it....that guy you are arguing with is right....you too are also right but your analysis of the "undetectable" is what is wrong...if the HIV patient stop their ART ,trust me after some months if the same person go for the test,the same kit that showed negative before will now show positive.......for now HIV has no total cure medically..but it can be treated medically and the person can live the normal life like the negative people...and even grow older than some negative people as long as they are on ART....

@meninmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziKeLIBBlPE

2:40 - 3:06 mark

1 Like

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 04, 2021
azpekuliar:

@meninmen

I don't understand this back and forth argument.

I said a patient with undetectable viral load will still test positive on routine HIV testing. What is hard to understand here?

My argument has never been on "undetectable" as you are painting it. We have all agreed that a patient who has undetectable viral load can't pass the virus to someone else and when a blood test for viral load is done, the virus may not be detected. I have never argued this. Please check my previous comments

My point is that when you do an HIV antibody test for such patients (which is the most common test you do for people if you want to know they have hiv or not), that person with undetectable viral load will still test positive for HIV.

Let me put it in proper perspective. Let's say a patient who has undetectable viral load wants to do a surgery and the surgeons ask for the patient to do HIV test (amongst other tests to be done). What test do you think would be done for that patient? Viral load test or screening test? It will be screening. With screening, the test will detect the HIV antibodies, which will alert the surgeon that the patient is infected with HIV.

So, in summary, patients with undetectable viral load will still test positive for HIV as viral load is not used to diagnose one of HIV infection.

1 Like

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by CSTRR: 11:42am On Jul 04, 2021
SirLakes:

Where did you see your own C vaccine?

There's no vaccine for C
Hepatitis B vaccine is what I got.

You can't get hepatitis C from sex anyway.
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by crazymommy(f): 12:15pm On Jul 04, 2021
CSTRR:

Hepatitis B vaccine is what I got.

You can't get hepatitis C from sex anyway.
THAT IS A BIG FAT LIE....ANY DOCTOR THAT TOLD YOU THAT IS LYING TO YOU..you can get it.....but incase you still want to argue with me..quickly visit that link to have an idea.....

https://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-sex
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by CSTRR: 12:27pm On Jul 04, 2021
crazymommy:

THAT IS A BIG FAT LIE....ANY DOCTOR THAT TOLD YOU THAT IS LYING TO YOU..you can get it.....but incase you still want to argue with me..quickly visit that link to have an idea.....

https://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-sex
Unless that sex involves blood, then no.

Sex is not a recognised medium for transmitting hepatitis C.

It's possible but it's rare.

Hepatitis C is mostly transmitted through blood.
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by crazymommy(f): 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2021
CSTRR:

Unless that sex involves blood, then no.

Sex is not a recognised medium for transmitting hepatitis C.

It's possible but it's rare.

Hepatitis C is mostly transmitted through blood.
SMH.....the question is can a person get infected through sex??the answer is YES and you have confirmed it by yourself.....whether it is rare or not is not the point of argument here.....

2 Likes

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Ajilenu: 3:55pm On Jul 04, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Antecedents, experiences, stories, real life experiences, nairaland.......... cheesy
rubbish

1 Like

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by cocococo: 3:58pm On Jul 04, 2021
crazymommy:

What do you do for a living? If you are a medical personnel, then your licence for practicing what you do should be revoked! Stop arguing and demonstrating your ignorance! The fact is this: ONCE YOU TEST POSITIVE FOR HIV USING THE ANTIBODY STRIPS WHICH PEOPLE CALL HIV SCREENING, YOU WILL BE POSITIVE FOR LIFE, WHETHER YOUR VIRAL LOAD IS UNDETECTABLE LATER ON WHEN You USE HIV DRUGS! If you still argue, then you have a thick skull.

1 Like

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by crazymommy(f): 4:26pm On Jul 04, 2021
cocococo:

What do you do for a living? If you are a medical personnel, then your licence for practicing what you do should be revoked! Stop arguing and demonstrating your ignorance! The fact is this: ONCE YOU TEST POSITIVE FOR HIV USING THE ANTIBODY STRIPS WHICH PEOPLE CALL HIV SCREENING, YOU WILL BE POSITIVE FOR LIFE, WHETHER YOUR VIRAL LOAD IS UNDETECTABLE LATER ON WHEN You USE HIV DRUGS! If you still argue, then you have a thick skull.
if you cannot comprehend simple English,so be it.....

1 Like

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by cocococo: 5:33pm On Jul 04, 2021
crazymommy:

https://www.avert.org/living-with-hiv/antiretroviral-treatment/what-does-undetectable-mean

From the link you posted, I think this is what is confusing you. Because you saw “by standard tests”, you automatically thought they mean antibody tests with strips. That’s wrong. “Standard tests” abroad where they have facilities for PCR/viral load tests everywhere is not the same thing as “standard tests” here in Nigeria. In the link, I can bet you that they are referring to the PCR/viral load tests as their standard tests, not the ordinary rapid antibody strip tests we do here in HIV screening.

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by cocococo: 5:39pm On Jul 04, 2021
crazymommy:

https://www.sfaf.org/collections/beta/heres-why-you-test-positive-for-hiv-if-youre-undetectable/

This link will help you understand more.

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Auraby(f): 12:14pm On Jul 09, 2021
Obakashdee:

You positive ni?
Nope!
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Kewtt: 3:29am On Jul 10, 2021
Auraby:
Nope!
Talk true o
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Auraby(f): 6:34am On Jul 10, 2021
Kewtt:

Talk true o
Am always careful. I am just curious
Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Kewtt: 7:02am On Jul 10, 2021
Auraby:
Am always careful. I am just curious
Good. But we shouldn't discriminate against those who are....

1 Like

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Auraby(f): 9:03pm On Jul 10, 2021
Kewtt:

Good. But we shouldn't discriminate against those who are....
I can never do that I have conscience. Moreover not all were promiscuos.

1 Like

Re: Sleeping With An HIV Positive Person by Kewtt: 9:44am On Jul 02, 2022
Auraby:
I can never do that I have conscience. Moreover not all were promiscuos.
hi

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Beware Of The Bad Postures And Save Yourself From Chronic Body Pain!! (pics) / Arya Permana: World Heaviest Kid Loses Over 100kg In Three Years (Photos) / Drama As Hospital Returns Patient To Husband’s Shop In Ibadan (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.