Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,011 members, 7,838,536 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Alcohol Addiction - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Alcohol Addiction (10804 Views)

... / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction / How To Overcome Alcohol Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alcohol Addiction by Ekpoma1: 10:40am On May 14, 2011
Excess Alcohol intake is bad. Back then I and friend used to engage in this bad habit, in order 2 know who can consume d higher bottle. There was a day i got drunk and vomitted on the bed, hmmm. That was 24th Dec. Damn! That was a huge embarrasement bcoz i started vomittin on the street i stay before i was taken inside 2 continue. The nxt day i could nt com out.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 11:04am On May 14, 2011
@Enyojo,
I was begining to read you with interest,till you came up with the yarn about the man who killed his wife and two kids,then hung himself.
You don't need to fabricate stories to make people see your viewpoint.I know excessive alcohol can be bad for the health.
However i don't believe I am in excess,because I drive normally and I have never had aan acccident in my twelve years of driving a car.
When i drink I don't engage anyone in fistcuffs,infact when I drink I become more careful in what I do.
Thanks for your advise,but no thanks,infact I think I will go out and have a quick bottle before the match between Man Utd and Blackburn.
Peace,Am out!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by sirp2007: 11:11am On May 14, 2011
am enjoying this discussion,bt pls guys lets stay focus.we have to differetiate btw alcoholism and alcohol intake.they are 2 diff things and we hv both in excess in nija.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 11:26am On May 14, 2011
Alcohol addiction is a disease, it ruins your social, financial, emotional, psychological and healthy life.
Its is a problem in Nigeria, cos most drinkers fornicates whose consequence is marriage break up mostly.
It has ruined many youths future and it still ruining some. Shattered the dreams of many parents and led to the death of many innocent souls.
Dont even think about the effect on health, GOSH!!! kidney failure, cancer, liver falure, heart failure, it damages any organ in the body.
The problem is many dont see it as a big problem, they see it as ways of having fun. like you cant have fun without drinking
What we need is awareness program in 9ja!!!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by ezeuba(m): 11:30am On May 14, 2011
I used to drink. Any kind of alcoholic drink, but my preference was the black thing in a bottle. Sometimes after drinking I would be ashamed to go home drunk and I would sleep in a hotel, sometimes alone, sometimes not. Some years back I got ill and after about two clinics and several wrong diagnoses it was finally pinned down to hepatitis. I was hospitalised for about a month, then went home and recuperated indoors for another month. While in the hospital I reflected on my condition and did some calculations; a bottle of beer costs less than =N=200 back then, plus some sticks of cigarettes at about =N=10 each. All these have put me in a condition which was costing me about =N=4,000 daily for treatment. One night in my hospital room, I called GOD to a meeting. I begged HIM to come to my rescue and not let the illness kill me. I pledged that night to abstain from alcohol and smoke, but that HE should give me the strength to overcome. From that night till today I have never had the urge for alcohol or smoke and I live a better life now. My occasional illness these days does not go beyond what some analgesic can take care of. I have never bought another hospital card for myself since that day I made that promise to GOD in September 2006.

The bottom line here is that ALL alcoholics can be withdrawn from alcohol, only if they make a conscious effort on their own part and determine not to go back. I hang out with alcohol drinking friends, smokers even, but have never had the urge to drink. I only take malt drinks or bottled water and they respect my wish to do so. Although they taunted me initially but when they saw I was not budging the respect started coming. I have a friend who I wish would read this discussion. He knows about my victory over alcohol, but he still wallows in the stuff. To the extent that his salary does not last more than three days in his hands, that is after paying off debts at numerous drinking joints. He even once sold my household effects I left in his care when I was transferred to another city, to pay off his drinking debts. Instead of getting angry with him I sympathise with him. I wish he could read this now.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 14, 2011
ALCOHOLICS ARE LOCAL CHAMPS IN NIGERIA. THEY ARE HAILED IN NEIGHBORHOODS FOR THEIR 'ABILITY'S.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 12:17pm On May 14, 2011
Alcoholism is a big problem in Nigeria both in the villages and cities just that we do not have as much alcoholics as we have in the west where it is not big deal for a woman to drink. In Nigeria, it is a big deal though that is now reducing among the present generation who consider being able to drink is a status symbol.

@enyojo
If alcohol is evil the food you eat is evil also. Alcohol is a beverage when taken moderately. It is a drug and has been shown to reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease among moderate takers.

You know if you are glutton, you will go to hell fire, so stop eating food.
If you eat too much you can also develop Obesity and metabolic diseases like diabetes
Being a drunkard is different from drinking reasonably. Quit that your one sided bible interpretation.

In fact the bible did not say alcohol will lead to hell fire. The said ' it is not fit for kings to drink wine, it is for the miserable so that they forget their sorrows.
In another passage it talks about mistaking alcohol with the holy spirit and in another Paul advised Timothy to take a little alcohol for his stomach.
The passage for 'shall not drink no strong drink' does not condemn the drinking of alcohol
Finally Jesus changed water into wine for people at a wedding ceremony.

Does that mean that Jesus wanted all of them to go to hell?
Alcohol is a beverage and is as 'devilish' as food is.

Drink reasonably!!!!!!.
Pass me my Hennessey pls
Re: Alcohol Addiction by jerryben12: 12:19pm On May 14, 2011
Ikengawo:

VERY big problem.

Nigerians are the most indulgent people in africa if not the world. We can make America look like Tibet when it comes to excess.

drinking is a HUGE problem in nigeria. I know so many full blown addicts that will never except the fact that it's a problem (stubborness and ignorance is what makes it an even worst problem cause it's victims are so stuck in their way and don't want another)

Not a fact! Nigerians are too busy chasing after money and building houses. Go to Cameroon and know what is fun with alcohol. The percentage of alcohol users in Nigeria compare to Nigeria's population is very small compared to other laid back African countries.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by LKRavitz(m): 12:26pm On May 14, 2011
GBAGADA

Re: Alcohol Addiction
« #4 on: Today at 07:04:17 AM »

My husband once wrote a book on Deadly Habits like Alcoholism. below is an excerpt:

ALCOHOLISM IS THE BIG BROTHER OF FORNICATION, ADULTERY AND OFCOURSE SMOKING.
THERE ARE THREE STEPS INTO THIS HYDRA-HEADED EVIL:

1. SOCIAL PHASE:
When a person begins to take 'a sip' from the glass. When he or she is pressurized in social garderings to take 'just' a small stout. When those '7% alcohol' wines are used for corporate events. Then you need to be very very careful. Truth is : It is so amazing how alcoholics try to convince non-alcoholics to take it at events. People at this stage are called 'Occassional Drinkers' or 'Social Drinkers'. The alcohol is still a slave to the drinker

2.REGULAR PHASE:
At this stage, the Social alcoholic begins to be more frequent with the bottle. When he is tensed up or angry, he 'washes' it down with wine. When Arsenal and Chelsea are playing march, a Regular drinker will be more comfortable holding a bottle, to cool the nerves. This is a very long phase and Regular drinkers may remain at this phase for many years. At this stage being drunk is not unusual. A Regular Drinker lies and steals to feed his/her ever enlarging lust for the bottle. The alcohol has become the master of the drinker.

3. ACUTE PHASE:
This is the phase when the alcohol habit has started making the Drinker to have severe damages in health, relationships, spiritually etc. An Acute Drinker may have issues with his/her Kidney, Liver and any relevant organ. An acute drunkard can use the money for House rent to shark and forget his family. Only to be driven out by the landlord. I know a man like this on my street. He is almost a mad man by now. He almost killed his wife.

The phase you are in alcoholism determines how easy it is to pull out. For now, all I can say is that at every stage, with strong determination and God's grace and the right kind of external influence, you can break the addiction. If you are determined, then first keep yourself from anyone who is an addict. Have certain persons who HATE alcoholism watch over your exit process. Above all, go for councelling. Thanks.

Hope your husband did not publish it with all the grammatical errors and street language?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 12:33pm On May 14, 2011
L. KRavitz:

GBAGADA

My husband once wrote a book on Deadly Habits like Alcoholism. below is an excerpt:

1. SOCIAL PHASE:
When a person begins to take 'a sip' from the glass. When he or she is pressurized in social garderings to take 'just' a small stout. When those '7% alcohol' wines are used for corporate events. Then you need to be very very careful. Truth is : It is so amazing how alcoholics try to convince non-alcoholics to take it at events. People at this stage are called 'Occassional Drinkers' or 'Social Drinkers'. The alcohol is still a slave to the drinker

2.REGULAR PHASE:
At this stage, the Social alcoholic begins to be more frequent with the bottle. When he is tensed up or angry, he 'washes' it down with wine. When Arsenal and Chelsea are playing march, a Regular drinker will be more comfortable holding a bottle, to cool the nerves. This is a very long phase and Regular drinkers may remain at this phase for many years. At this stage being drunk is not unusual. A Regular Drinker lies and steals to feed his/her ever enlarging lust for the bottle. The alcohol has become the master of the drinker.

3. ACUTE PHASE:
This is the phase when the alcohol habit has started making the Drinker to have severe damages in health, relationships, spiritually etc. An Acute Drinker may have issues with his/her Kidney, Liver and any relevant organ. An acute drunkard can use the money for House rent to shark and forget his family. Only to be driven out by the landlord. I know a man like this on my street. He is almost a mad man by now. He almost killed his wife.

The phase you are in alcoholism determines how easy it is to pull out. For now, all I can say is that at every stage, with strong determination and God's grace and the right kind of external influence, you can break the addiction. If you are determined, then first keep yourself from anyone who is an addict. Have certain persons who HATE alcoholism watch over your exit process. Above all, go for councelling. Thanks.

Hope your husband did not publish it with all the grammatical errors and street language?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 12:35pm On May 14, 2011
L. KRavitz:

GBAGADA

1. SOCIAL PHASE:

2.REGULAR PHASE:
At this stage, the Social alcoholic begins to be more frequent with the bottle. When he is tensed up or angry, he 'washes' it down with wine. When Arsenal and Chelsea are playing march, a Regular drinker will be more comfortable holding a bottle,  to cool the nerves. This is a very long phase and Regular drinkers may remain at this phase for many years. At this stage being drunk is not unusual. A Regular Drinker lies and steals to feed his/her ever enlarging lust for the bottle. The alcohol has become the master of the drinker.

3. ACUTE PHASE:

grin grin grin grin
It reminds me of those 50 pages pamphlets you see on newspaper and magazine stands with titles like; HOW YOU CAN CURE AIDS, HOW TO GET LOVE, HOW TO MAKE MONEY IN DAYS
Re: Alcohol Addiction by johnjoel(m): 1:05pm On May 14, 2011
grin grin ;Dwell well all i can say don't allow what you eat or do control you control with you eat
how you do that,,one,,put God first,,read your bible,,go to church,,,be your own man with princpals
don't allow even your wife to tell you what to do,,eat what is good to your health,,aleas your not an animal,,
do what you have to do with coution,,,always see some danger or precoution in everything you do,

Re: Alcohol Addiction by skypopson(m): 1:25pm On May 14, 2011
the rate at which boys are drinking in university of jos is alarming.boys are not eating anymore.only gin and beer are selling now oh.the painfull part of it is that they now drink b4 going to class in d morning.smell dey kill us 4 class oh
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 1:29pm On May 14, 2011
[size=16pt]'WINE IS A MOCKER
STRONG DRINK IS RAGING
AND WHOSOEVER IS DECEIVED THEREBY IS NOT WISE'[/size]

Holy Bible (PROVERBS 20V1)
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Blakjewelry(m): 1:31pm On May 14, 2011
Well, i believe evry tin that is bad is good and evry tin that is good is bad also it all depend on which side of coin you flip open. First and foremost all that God created for man is good but man can decide to abuse it ''with alcohol inclussive''. Alcohol expecially red wine is very healthy and even have the tendency to prolong life, more research still ongoing in that regard. Then you have the highness part, men! Thats the land were no sorrow, worry or pain can over shadow. Then flip the coin and you will see assault, being drunk and driving, etc
like me you can check my starts. 2008 drink alots but ocassionally, 2009 alot still ocassionally, 2010 non, and 2011 not more than 6 bor and ocassional winin so, i guess it all boil down to personality. Sum take it to escape reality, others a behaviour they cant break but the thing that got me really mad is the rate at which our under age are taking to the bottle without any form of restrictions and even the media houses ''music and video'' are not helping matters the way they glorify drink smoke and sex.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 1:36pm On May 14, 2011
Richvkunt:

@Enyojo,
I was begining to read you with interest,till you came up with the yarn about the man who killed his wife and two kids,then hung himself.
You don't need to fabricate stories to make people see your viewpoint.I know excessive alcohol can be bad for the health.
However i don't believe I am in excess,because I drive normally and I have never had aan acccident in my twelve years of driving a car.
When i drink I don't engage anyone in fistcuffs,infact when I drink I become more careful in what I do.
Thanks for your advise,but no thanks,infact I think I will go out and have a quick bottle before the match between Man Utd and Blackburn.
Peace,Am out!

Do you live in this world? So a case whereby a man under the control of Alcohol murdered his two kids and hung himself seems too huge for you to believe.
Fine. Maybe you won't believe that another man elsewhere who wasn't under any influence killed his only child to get wealth.

If you can believe the second, why have problems with the first?
You can believe whatever u like.  
Re: Alcohol Addiction by knotty(m): 1:41pm On May 14, 2011
if this ENYOJO is to be believed all my firends and I must have been dead, buried, exhumed and re-born to be alive today; and we have been on this stuff in excess of 25 years.
She is full of arrant rubbish!
I drink to my heart content when i want to and i`m healthy, down to my down-below. The truth is know what you drink, know your limits, stay alive to drink the nest day. There are no medals to be won for heavy drinking, no prize to be coveted. so, keep it within limits.
her husband cut and paste book is good for the dustbin only.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 1:43pm On May 14, 2011
For many who have been mocked and deceived with Alcoholic wines, your hour of liberation has come.
If you continue to defend that ugly bottle demon by saying it is not an evil, or that the bible is not against it, or that it is natural, or that it helps to forget ones problems etc.
Know today that the greatest weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 1:47pm On May 14, 2011
knotty:

if this ENYOJO is to be believed all my firends and I must have been dead, buried, exhumed and re-born to be alive today; and we have been on this stuff in excess of 25 years.
She is full of arrant rubbish!
I drink to my heart content when i want to and i`m healthy, down to my down-below. The truth is know what you drink, know your limits, stay alive to drink the nest day. There are no medals to be won for heavy drinking, no prize to be coveted. so, keep it within limits.
her husband cut and paste book is good for the dustbin only.

Someone was oppressed for 35 years in the bible and Jesus touched him once and he got up.
100 years in error doesn't make it right. As soon as you break off from those addicted friends of yours, then you are on your way to breaking off yhe habit itself.

CHANGE YOUR FRIENDS!! YOU ARE BECOMING TOO OLD IN THIS.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by knotty(m): 1:49pm On May 14, 2011
enyojo:

[size=12pt] that ugly bottle demon

So, a common bottle of Star or Gulder or Stout or Carlo Rossi is the devil homself?
You sound very pathetic now.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 1:51pm On May 14, 2011
L. KRavitz:

No dear. The book was well vetted by Professional Literature gurus.
Thanks for your concern. cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Alcohol Addiction by knotty(m): 1:53pm On May 14, 2011
Should i change my friends to embrace a charlatan like you?
Please, stop misrepresenting the gospel. Stop all these lies because you want to sell a sick book.
Alco has its problem, just like your car has its own. Educate about the proper use of alco and not spread falsehood.
One man beheads his family because he drank DON SIMON? lies and liars
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Blakjewelry(m): 1:55pm On May 14, 2011
This topic reminds me of story told by a friend mine about a man from their village. He the guy went to see a doc concerning his health and was told by doc not eat certain food, the man replied ok, you must not drink alcohol like beer the said ok and the doc said must not drink even ogogoro '' local dry gin'' and the man look at the doc and said no need for your prescription na, and doc why? The man said without ogogoro? Na em bi say i don die be dat na.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 1:56pm On May 14, 2011
knotty (m)
Saturn by Apapa

« #52 on: Today at 01:49:49 PM »  

So, a common bottle of Star or Gulder or Stout or Carlo Rossi is the devil homself?
You sound very pathetic now.

Please try and read between the lines. If they say 'The Senate are receiving satanic allowances' Does it make the money the receive was minted by the devil.
Try and sound educated and stop derailing issues due to technicalities.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 1:57pm On May 14, 2011
Blakjewelry:

This topic reminds me of story told by a friend mine about a man from their village. He the guy went to see a doc concerning his health and was told by doc not eat certain food, the man replied ok, you must not drink alcohol like beer the said ok and the doc said must not drink even ogogoro '' local dry gin'' and the man look at the doc and said no [b]need for your prescription na, and doc why? The man said without ogogoro? Na em bi say i don die be dat [/b]na.

LWKMD  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 2:01pm On May 14, 2011
knotty:

Should i change my friends to embrace a charlatan like you?
Please, stop misrepresenting the gospel. Stop all these lies because you want to sell a sick book.
Alco has its problem, just like your car has its own. Educate about the proper use of alco and not spread falsehood.
One man beheads his family because he drank DON SIMON? lies and liars

The said book is no longer in circulation. It was first published in 2002!
I am just helping some particular persons who are willing to be helped. Not hardened persons like you who always see a problem in every solution.
Luckily, your type are the ones that receive divine touch ahead of level-headed social drinkers.

Welcome to salvation
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 2:07pm On May 14, 2011
Blakjewelry:

This topic reminds me of story told by a friend mine about a man from their village. He the guy went to see a doc concerning his health and was told by doc not eat certain food, the man replied ok, you must not drink alcohol like beer the said ok and the doc said must not drink even ogogoro '' local dry gin'' and the man look at the doc and said no need for your prescription na, and doc why? The man said without ogogoro? Na em bi say i don die be dat na.

Likewise this your story reminds me of Proverbs 31v6 that says: Give strong drink to him that is ready to perish, and wine to those that be of heavy hearts.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Ib(f): 2:21pm On May 14, 2011
Alcohol is definitely a major problem in Nigeria but like many of our issues, we often act like it doesn't exist-we are better than other nations e.g uk, south africa, US. We are the saints.

Alcohol is digging deep into the fibre of Nigerians. No wedding is complete without champagne, wine or beer. Even our women are getting deeper into it. Our girls are falling deep too in the Universities and the club scene. At the bus-stops, the bus drivers, conductors and touts + police all do it in the name of agbo and all that alcohol concoctions called herbs/medicines, and then we wonder why there is so much road rage and disorderliness on our roads.

In the road-side bars, at the beaches, kuramo, alfa, oniru on Sundays, its everyhere! In the homes, in the village. Alcohol is digging deep, so we wonder what will happen in 10 - 20yrs - maybe then we would be like the UK because it has to start from somewhere.

The life expectancy in Nigeria is 47years or so, and we wonder why people die so early, when they die, they say it was a brief illness, our medical system is so flawed that maybe we would have known it was liver failure due to excessive intake of alcohol.

And its not just alcohol, Weed/igbo is taking over. The girls are doing it too, smoking is now normal in the clubscene for Naija girls too. I know all this cause i managed 2 bars in ikoyi and VI in 2009 - 2010. We make over 5 million naira on fridays thanks to the heavy intake of alcohol. In ikeja the clubs are worse. that drink called Red Label is a mocker.

Beware, you will not be young forever. The body you maintain in your youth is the body that will serve you in your 50s . Don't allow this short period of your life called youth ruin your future.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by knotty(m): 2:36pm On May 14, 2011
now IB you are talking.
The thing we should be talking about here; what do you drink? There are quite a number soft and safe drinks, but a few are not safe. and it is this unsafee ones that we must continually harp on.
Spirits are making dangerous incursion into our drinking lives in Nigeria and this is worrisome. For whatever reasons, Brandy, Whiskey, RUM and all those high-end drinks for the high and mighty are pure water now. REDLABEL is one. and i am particularly worried about that. pepole drink that stuff like Gulder. I used to single handedly do a bottle a day myself but had to stop when i read the warning signals correctly. and i am available to warn others.
but to say drinking regular stuff like STAr or GULDER is a passport to hellfire smacks of extremism, the kind we accuse OSMA BN LADN of.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agabaI23(m): 2:41pm On May 14, 2011
knotty:

now IB you are talking.
The thing we should be talking about here; what do you drink? There are quite a number soft and safe drinks, but a few are not safe. and it is this unsafee ones that we must continually harp on.
Spirits are making dangerous incursion into our drinking lives in Nigeria and this is worrisome. For whatever reasons, Brandy, Whiskey, RUM and all those high-end drinks for the high and mighty are pure water now. REDLABEL is one. and i am particularly worried about that. pepole drink that stuff like Gulder. I used to single handedly do a bottle a day myself but had to stop when i read the warning signals correctly. and i am available to warn others.
but to say drinking regular stuff like STAr or GULDER is a passport to hellfire smacks of extremism, the kind we accuse OSMA BN LADN of.
ONYEOJOO is a Buhari supporter so you can fill the blank space grin grin. Extremists will always aggregate together consciously or unconsciously tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Alcohol Addiction by adebio: 2:46pm On May 14, 2011
It is always say that too much of everytin is bad. Even if it's water you drink in excess it wil surely affect u. one should be moderate in everytin he/she does. A word they say is enough for d wise. This should serve as an eye opener to drunkard, be careful, life get no duplicate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kano Discharges Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa, 15 Other COVID-19 Patients / How Lagos Air Quality Is Very Unhealthy / How To Get My Wife Pregnant ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.