Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! (4248 Views)

Yoruba Agenda: Stop Deceiving People, Falana Tells Afenifere / Buhari critically sick Apc Circulate Fake Photoshop Pic To Cover Up His Health / The Yoruba Agenda For A New Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by TNUBU4LIFE: 11:23pm On May 12, 2011
South-WEST Report
Day Yoruba charted course to regain lost values, glory
By RAZAQ BAMIDELE
Friday, May 13, 2011

[b]More Stories on This Section

A one-day Yoruba Interactive Forum in Lagos has expressed the need for Yoruba nation to be more united for its developmental potentials to be harnessed for its rapid growth within Nigeria’s context.

The forum themed, Yoruba Nation: An Agenda for National Politics and Development was organised by Lagos State Gubernatorial Advisory Committee under the leadership of Professor Adebayo Williams. Discussants included Professor Ayo Olukoju of the Caleb University, former Concord Newspapers managing director, Dr. Doyin Abiola, a Professor of Yoruba, Akinwumi Ishola and Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola who gave the keynote address.

Williams said the reason for the event was to step aside and more germane issues that affected the Yoruba nation such as the national question and true federalism. According to him, it was to exert energy towards greater Nigeria and freeing the country from the cage of colonialism. The forum was also to emphasise the need for women empowerment reminding that “importance of women can not be over emphasised because some popular Yoruba deities like Oya and Osun were women.”

Ishola, who held the audience spellbound with his Yoruba rendition and proverbs drew an analogy that showed that Yoruba were the enemies of their kinsmen. He was of the belief that with the elimination of the enemies within and with every Yoruba son and daughter working with a common purpose, the glory and the values the race was known for would be regained.

Aregbesola harped on the need for Yoruba nation to unite on all fronts: “It was through that unity that the nation could bounce back economically, politically, technologically and industrially. It is only in true federalism that one part will not be too dragged down by others in a plural country like Nigeria,“We must demand for and relate with other Nigerians on the basis of true federalism. It is only in true federalism that one part will not be too dragged down by others in a plural country like Nigeria. It is only true federalism that will compel a people to develop their own economy and generate their own revenue and do not have to wait for a handout from the federation account.

“Living on federal allocation is bad economics, lazy and insupportable in the long run. The Yoruba nation must get out of this trap. It is like running a company with the annuity from one’s inheritance. It does not happen in the business world. Strangely though, this is how virtually all the states in Nigeria are run, with dire fiscal consequences.

“A time must come, and I believe that for the Yoruba nation, that time is now, when the people must rally its entire progressives, well meaning and resourceful sons and daughters to respond to the challenges of history. Many people are wont to ask: why the Yoruba nation? Are we not all Nigerians, does it not amount to treason to talk about a non-existent Yoruba nation? First, a nation exists as a legal-juridical entity and secondly as a sociological category.

“When a sociological category of people within the same geographical space have common history, language, cultural practices and physiological similarities and are under a unified sovereign political system, then they constitute a nation-state. But in our own case, we constitute a nation but not a nation-state since there is no political sovereignty, neither do we have autonomous political existence. There is no dishonour, however, if we seek to advance our cause as a group.”

He condemned the glamour for being in the mainstream of the nation’s politics regretting that the system brought sorrow to the Yoruba nation than happiness: “At any rate, a lie has been put to mainstreaming; all the states that have been mainstreamed have not fared better. Indeed, they have fared worse. Before our government came into power in Osun State, the government could no longer pay salaries without resort to overdraft from banks, apart from heavy indebtedness and empty treasury.

The records are there.
“As I mentioned earlier, internal corruption set in after a period of flourishing when rather we should be consolidating on governance. This is usually after the disaffected broke away to liaise with outsiders, first to weaken the party, then seize the governments in the state through force, subterfuge and conspiracy and ultimately set the region and inevitably Nigeria on reverse. We should recognise these people for who they are and should not give them an inch again.

“It is very important that the economy of Yorubaland be integrated into the 18 million man economy of Lagos. Through the development of agriculture especially, each of the Yoruba states should have at least 10 per cent slice of the estimated daily N2 billion food market in Lagos.“By merely considering agricultural produce, the crafts and small agro-allied products that spring from them, there is a possibility of mass engagement and production which will make the prices of the products and services from Yoruba land to Lagos almost unbeatable. The origin of our wealth is agriculture and we must return to it. There is no nation in history that went through development that did not begin with the development of agriculture.

“We must start this with the notion that farming is big business with the farmer having his eyes on profit. By introducing modern farming techniques – hybrid seeds, modern machinery, science and technology – it is possible to get hundredfold yield from the same parcel of land where our people still deploy crude implements and traditional farming practices. We are already preparing for this agriculture revolution in Osun State. We have acquired 31,000 hectares of land across the local governments in the state, in our quest for massive food production.”

Abiola expressed delight over the recognition given to the women by the forum, saying the recognition must be in concrete, practical terms and not only a lip service because of the undeniable ability of Yoruba and Nigerian women. The forum rose with an agreement to make sure that in an event that the whole South West fell for the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Yorubaland should pursue a common agenda that would bring back its glory and make it a reference point of excellence.

Now that their prayers have been answered, the whole world is waiting and watching how the well articulated agenda would be executed.

[/b]
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by step1: 11:33pm On May 12, 2011
I love this article TNUBU4LIFE thank you. The plan is set, every yoruba citizen must work towards that goal even we the PDP member of the SW "must" join together for a greater yoruba nation. God bless the yoruba people.

E yi omo odudua e ronu
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:40pm On May 12, 2011
TNUBU4LIFE:

“It is very important that the economy of Yorubaland be integrated into the 18 million man economy of Lagos. Through the development of agriculture especially, each of the Yoruba states should have at least 10 per cent slice of the estimated daily N2 billion food market in Lagos.“By merely considering agricultural produce, the crafts and small agro-allied products that spring from them, there is a possibility of mass engagement and production which will make the prices of the products and services from Yoruba land to Lagos almost unbeatable. The origin of our wealth is agriculture and we must return to it. There is no nation in history that went through development that did not begin with the development of agriculture.

“We must start this with the notion that farming is big business with the farmer having his eyes on profit. By introducing modern farming techniques – hybrid seeds, modern machinery, science and technology – it is possible to get hundredfold yield from the same parcel of land where our people still deploy crude implements and traditional farming practices. We are already preparing for this agriculture revolution in Osun State. We have acquired 31,000 hectares of land across the local governments in the state, in our quest for massive food production.”

This is the key. Economic integration with the $43 billion economy next door (Lagos) is absolutely critical.

Whatever we do, we must do well. If it is agric we want to focus on, fine. But do it PROFITABLY and in a MODERN way. Otherwise the Thai farmers will continue to produce their crops more cheaply than we do: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-665398.0.html
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by TNUBU4LIFE: 11:50pm On May 12, 2011
finally we are putting forward our first eleven.we must support them with prayers oh,ki awon enibi ma yawa.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:52pm On May 12, 2011
What is this "first eleven" stuff? Can you explain?
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by yarodin: 12:00am On May 13, 2011
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, action speaks louder than words, una sabi that song?
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by EkoIle1: 12:50am On May 13, 2011
yarodin:

People dey move on to better things, den don for get about election, den dey cultivate tens of thousands of acres, den don creat South West Regional Development Commission to facilitate growth and development across the region, but wetin you and your people are busy doing? You are crying and begging for some d/umb and silly positions, positions that's not going to put food on your table talk less improve your impoverished and erosion ravaged towns and villages, positions that's not going to stop your people from leaving your towns and villages to go leech on other societies in Nigeria for survival and daily bread. Yoruba people are obviously the least of your worries,

I mean, you people no get shame ni?
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by reindeer: 1:58am On May 13, 2011
This is commendable.
There is a reason the southwest is ahead somewhat and everybody migrates down there.
In a way, im happy my Edo state will be part of this move,afterall we were midwest back in the days.
This is one of the reasons i still feel the federal structure of three regions was a lot more productive than these useless states all over the place now.
Cocoa house, OAU ife etc were built in the old southwest.Given the right environment, it wont be long before the southwest creates a country of their own, one which indigenes of other regions will start running to to have their kids claim in future(maybe it is already happening)
Good one, the Awolowo legacy lives on.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by OAM4J: 3:14am On May 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

What is this "first eleven" stuff? Can you explain?

football term. best team.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ziccoit: 3:42am On May 13, 2011
Almost cried while reading this article. Why? That leaders could actually come together on how the life of their people would fair better.
I pray GOD will strengthen you. Yorubas, go for gold.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by Nobody: 3:43am On May 13, 2011
Its about time.

SW needs to remember who they were, was, and aiming to be.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by step1: 5:29am On May 13, 2011
yarodin:

We yorubas just don't talk, we do as well. Watch how the following years would plan out.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by jason123: 9:03am On May 13, 2011
reindeer:

This is commendable.
There is a reason the southwest is ahead somewhat and everybody migrates down there.
In a way, im happy my Edo state will be part of this move,afterall we were midwest back in the days
This is one of the reasons i still feel the federal structure of three regions was a lot more productive than these useless states all over the place now.
Cocoa house, OAU ife etc were built in the old southwest.Given the right environment, it wont be long before the southwest creates a country of their own, one which indigenes of other regions will start running to to have their kids claim in future(maybe it is already happening)
Good one, the Awolowo legacy lives on.

We will soon join you guys!!! Amen!!!
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by rasputinn(m): 9:05am On May 13, 2011
^^
Okay,we'll watch and see.Hope treachery and betrayal will not derail those lofty ideals y'all are reaching for
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by blacksta(m): 9:29am On May 13, 2011
1000 gbosa - who needs the center - let them keep all their prostitution positions -I rather have a strong willed governor over a weak senate leader grin
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by playmode(m): 10:01am On May 13, 2011
This is great news.Is there any agricultural expert in the house? I need some urgent advice on investing in Agriculture in Ondo state.I want to set up a solar powered farm, i need more information what type of machinery and farm set up i will need to run a cocoa,plantain, vegetable ,poultry and fish farm in Ondo state.Any valuable input will be deeply appreciated.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 10:05am On May 13, 2011
playmode:

I want to set up a solar powered farm

Not an expert on agriculture, by why solar? It isn't cost effective in many cases to get electricity from solar.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by edogirl2: 10:55am On May 13, 2011
I said it before & will repeat again, people who come to the internet and set agendas of 'massive industrialisation,' extensive inter-state rail construction etc for SW governors are theorists who know little about the real life situation in Nigeria.

People need to understand this - states like Ondo, Osun, Ekiti have almost zero likelihood of becoming 'industrialised' (depending on one's definition of course) in this generation. It just wont happen.

From a policy perspective, the path to wealth creation and poverty eradication (reduction?) must start with agriculture. No more, no less.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:03am On May 13, 2011
edo.girl:

I said it before & will repeat again, people who come to the internet and set agendas of  'massive industrialisation,' extensive inter-state rail construction etc for SW governors are theorists who know little about the real life situation in Nigeria.

People need to understand this - states like Ondo, Osun, Ekiti have almost zero likelihood of becoming 'industrialised' (depending on one's definition of course) in this generation. It just wont happen.

From a policy perspective, the path to wealth creation and poverty eradication (reduction?) must start with agriculture. No more, no less.

To an extent you are correct. But if the following things fall into place:
1) Interstate rail
2) Good power supply in Nigeria

Then I don't see why someone won't be able to open up businesses in Ondo, Osun and Ekiti.

Yorubaland is not that big. . . all of it (SW + Kwara + western Kogi) about the size of New York State.

Not all industry must be located in Lagos if transportation and electricity are functional.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by playmode(m): 11:04am On May 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

Not an expert on agriculture, by why solar? It isn't cost effective in many cases to get electricity from solar.

I have seen some very affordable solar solutions in SA designed and built by small companies.I am also thinking of using wind power because there are some SA windmill companies who build very affordable windmills for farms here.One can import these solar or wind solutions to Nigeria and use it to power a farm.The initial set up cost maybe a little bit high but the long time benefits makes it worth it.

Affordable Solar Power Equipment:

http://www.sinetech.co.za/solar.htm?gclid=COTOz57W5KgCFYYOfAodO3xFEA

Windmills for Sale:

http://www.greenlifestore.co.za/online-store-renewable-energy-wind-turbine.php?orderID=185e6993c27f894560fac302d30bfb34
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by 10cirenoh: 11:04am On May 13, 2011
@Edo girl

Farming in the west has been their stronghold and they are going back to it.

Watch and learn (my only advise for you)
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:06am On May 13, 2011
@edo.girl: High tech agric BTW doesn't employ much labor. The crude way we do it in Nigeria, yes. But that isn't very efficient or competitive. You might like this article on agric in Nigeria btw: http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/features/21070-addressing-the-nations-fertiliser-challenge

If we want to employ people, the path to that is manufacturing. Not agriculture.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:08am On May 13, 2011
playmode:

I have seen some very affordable solar solutions in SA designed and built by small companies.I am also thinking of using wind power because there are some SA windmill companies who build very affordable windmills for farms here.One can import these solar or wind solutions to Nigeria and use it to power a farm.The initial set up cost maybe a little bit high but the long time benefits makes it worth it.

Affordable Solar Power Equipment:

http://www.sinetech.co.za/solar.htm?gclid=COTOz57W5KgCFYYOfAodO3xFEA

Windmills for Sale:

http://www.greenlifestore.co.za/online-store-renewable-energy-wind-turbine.php?orderID=185e6993c27f894560fac302d30bfb34

I mean in a $/kW sense. See the rightmost column of this chart:
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Levelized_energy_cost_chart_1%2C_2011_DOE_report.gif
[/img]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

Wind might be OK if you are somewhere very windy, though.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by playmode(m): 11:10am On May 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

1) Interstate rail

Then I don't see why someone won't be able to open up businesses in Ondo, Osun and Ekiti.

Yorubaland is not that big. . . all of it (SW + Kwara + western Kogi) about the size of New York State.

Not all industry must be located in Lagos if transportation and electricity are functional.

You are right, if we don't make an effort we will never know.Look at the Zimbabwean farmers in Kwara state .Who would have thought that Kwara state could be a viable place for mechanized farming.

I inherited some unknown numbers of hectares from my grandfather in Ondo state.Part of this land used to be used for cocoa farming but lack of seriousness and lack of funds ensured that the farm was abandoned.Now the land sits idle with weeds growing all over.

It will be great if i can turn the land in a massive farm and produce quality agricultural products for the Nigerian market.It takes serious effort and detailed planning to realize such a dream.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:19am On May 13, 2011
@playmode: We have this International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Ibadan: http://www.iita.org/

FUTA also has an agric department that might be helpful to you.

There is also the "business" section of this forum.

I also have an uncle who is into agriculture in Nigeria. He might be a good person to email questions.

Hopefully some sort of expert here chimes in though.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by playmode(m): 11:27am On May 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

I mean in a $/kW sense. See the rightmost column of this chart:
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Levelized_energy_cost_chart_1%2C_2011_DOE_report.gif
[/img]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

Wind might be OK if you are somewhere very windy, though.

You are right about that ,so wind energy it is then.I don't know if ondo is windy though  grin

One could mix it up though,maybe use solar panels to power the Geysers while the windmills will be used to power other farm machinery as well as sockets and bulbs.

The only way i will be to know how much power the farm requires on a daily basis is if i know much machinery will be installed on the farm.Who know maybe will supply "gas" to the Ondo area soon.It will lovely to have constant power.I used to hate farming until i what modern farms look and the type of income mechanized farms take in Australia ,The USA and SA. Who knows maybe i will be able to get a big loan from a bank in Ondo to finance the farm.

ekt_bear:

@playmode: We have this International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in Ibadan: http://www.iita.org/

FUTA also has an agric department that might be helpful to you.

There is also the "business" section of this forum.

I also have an uncle who is into agriculture in Nigeria. He might be a good person to email questions.

Hopefully some sort of expert here chimes in though.

Thanks bro , investing in SW is suddenly becoming more attractive to me and i don't want to miss out  grin
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by edogirl2: 11:35am On May 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

1) Interstate rail

I still dont see the point of Inter state rail in the SW - just going to be another white elephant.

I travel frequently between Lagos and a number of SW states, and believe me, rail is not required at all - at least not for now. What's needed is for the interstate roads to be fixed. After the first 60km or so away from Lagos, there's actually not much traffic on these roads - compared to say, the M1 or M25 in the UK.

Rail is an expensive business, and even in countries where they are used at full capacity, they still require heavy govt subsidies. Think Nigeria & subsidies, not again pls!

Note also that some of these states live from hand to mouth. They are barely viable entities. For eg, Osun state's annual revenue is about USD 750 million. Ondo state, an oil producing state, and one of the 'wealthiest' outside of Lagos, earned just under USD1billion last year. Their revenue barely cover their RECURRING expenditure, so why embark on hugely expensive capital projects that bring little added value and cripple the states  under the weight of massive debts which could take decades to clear?

@ 10ceneroh - I'm not mocking these States by suggesting they go the agric way. By going with an area where they have relative comparative advantage (nearness to Lagos, good arable land etc), they can generate sufficient wealth to create opportunities, wealth, and lift people out of poverty. That's what it boils down to. Note that some states in the US are predominantly into agriculture, and though these states may not have the same per capital income of some of the richest states, they are not too far behind.

Industrialisation is not the only way to create wealth. That can be left to Lagos, and perhaps Ogun.

YES to improved/mechanised farming techniques
YES to quality education - at least free up to secondary level
YES to accountability in government
YES to health, improved public sanitation, better urban planning
NO to ambitious white elephant projects - rail, govt-sponsored industrialisation.

Let them start with baby steps, and get the basics right first.  Then ambitious projects can start in the future.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:38am On May 13, 2011
playmode:

You are right about that ,so wind energy it is then.I don't know if ondo is windy though  grin

One could mix it up though,maybe use solar panels to power the Geysers while the windmills will be used to power other farm machinery as well as sockets and bulbs.

The only way i will be to know how much power the farm requires on a daily basis is if i know much machinery will be installed on the farm.Who know maybe will supply "gas" to the Ondo area soon.It will lovely to have constant power.I used to hate farming until i what modern farms look and the type of income mechanized farms take in Australia ,The USA and SA. Who knows maybe i will be able to get a big loan from a bank in Ondo to finance the farm.

Thanks bro , investing in SW is suddenly becoming more attractive to me and i don't want to miss out  grin

Yeah we had that convo about gas the other day. Perhaps call Shell and see if they supply in Ondo. Though I doubt it'd be anywhere near your grandpa's farmland undecided
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 11:44am On May 13, 2011
edo.girl:

I still dont see the point of Inter state rail in the SW - just going to be another white elephant.

I travel frequently between Lagos and a number of SW states, and believe me, rail is not required at all - at least not for now. What's needed is for the interstate roads to be fixed. After the first 60km or so away from Lagos, there's actually not much traffic on these roads - compared to say, the M1 or M25 in the UK.
I'd prefer if the roads are fixed. But rail is still needed for freight. If I want to transport a container of goods, better to use rail than road.

Rail is an expensive business, and even in countries where they are used at full capacity, they still require heavy govt subsidies. Think Nigeria & subsidies, not again pls!
I think you are confusing high-speed European rail with ordinary rail. Ordinary rail isn't that expensive.

Note also that some of these states live from hand to mouth. They are barely viable entities.For eg, Osun states annual revenue is about USD 750 million. Ondo state, an oil producing state, and one of the wealthiest outside of Lagos, earned just under USD1billion last year. Their revenue barely cover their RECURRING expenditure, so why embark on hugely expensive capital projects that brings little added value and cripple the states  under the weight of massive debts which could take decades to clear?
Some debts are worth it. It isn't the East Coast and West Coast states alone in the US that have industry; even Alabama does.

Industrialisation is not the only way to create wealth. That can be left for Lagos, and perhaps Ogun.
We shall see. If the FG can come through with electricity (by privatizing it) and freight rail can be made functional Ekiti State will industrialize. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. . . rice mill, sugar processing plant, textile factories, whatever. But agric alone will not employ enough people. Agric is a rich man's game, at least if you want to be competitive with the Western world.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by edogirl2: 12:23pm On May 13, 2011
Bear says -
I'd prefer if the roads are fixed. But rail is still needed for freight. If I want to transport a container of goods, better to use rail than road. On what basis is it better? 

There are prob less than 100 containers (prob half of that) being transported between Lagos and Ekiti per month. You will create a railway cos of that? Just out of a dogged desire to have rail, irrespective of cost, practicality, & economic reality. And what will be your Opportunity Cost for spending that scarce capital on railway - education, health, agriculture?

ekt_bear:

I'd prefer if the roads are fixed. But rail is still needed for freight. If I want to transport a container of goods, better to use rail than road.  I think you are confusing high-speed European rail with ordinary rail. Ordinary rail isn't that expensive.

Not good enough to simply say rail is better. On what basis, in this particular case?
And, no, am not confusing anything. Ordinary rail is still very expensive. If you earn USD2,000 per month, a condo costing USD1,000 will be too expensive for you while someone earning 5K per month might consider it ok. It's all relative. If you cant afford it, then dont buy it! Some of these states can barely cover their recurring expenses! The most basic rail line from Lagos to Ado EkitI, via Akure & the other state capitals, will cost USD billions to put in place & millions more to maintain per year. Public projects are hugely inflated in Nigeria and there is no current need for this one

Some debts are worth it.  It isn't the East Coast and West Coast states alone in the US that have industry; even Alabama does.
We shall see. If the FG can come through with electricity (by privatizing it) and freight rail can be made functional Ekiti State will industrialize. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. . . rice mill, sugar processing plant, textile factories, whatever. But agric alone will not employ enough people. Agric is a rich man's game, at least if you want to be competitive with the Western world.

No, this particular debt is not worth it. It will bring pain, not value add. No one is suggesting that a state turns its back on other forms of industry. What I suggest is that the immediate and medium term priority should be agriculture, from where complimentary indutries can also develop - food processing etc Agriculture will employ plenty of people directly or indirectly.

It is far more important for the states to open up and fix rural roads so agric produce can be easily transported to municipal markets than wating billions on fancy rail projects which will bastardise state finances for decades to come.

A better proposition for railway will be to link Lagos, Oyo, with the North via Kwara, with Kwara becoming a major distribution centre for products to parts of the middle belt, and a significant part oif the north etc. That will do more to defend Lagos's commercial interest against a future port in the East. Policy should be guided by long term strategy, some of which will not necessarily involve a pan-south west outlook.
Re: A Must Read For Every Yoruba!this Is The Yoruba Agenda,read & Circulate! by ektbear: 12:37pm On May 13, 2011
edo.girl:

There are prob less than 100 containers (prob half of that) being transported between Lagos and Ekiti per month. You will create a railway cos of that? Just out of a dogged desire to have rail, irrespective of cost, practicality, & economic reality. And what will be your Opportunity Cost for spending that scarce capital on railway - education, health, agriculture?
1. Well, to be clear. . . there is already an existing railway. Just not in the best state right now. So you won't have to build from scratch, but instead upgrade what exists.
2. Rail and transport in general is something I'm willing to subsizize. Shrinking the distances between Ekiti and Lagos (and thus the rest of the world) is absolutely critical.
3. I don't have firm #s yet (haven't had yet time to meet face to face with someone who knows this stuff very well), but from what I've read a bit, it should be under $5 million/mile.
4. The existing rail, if it connects major cities and Ekiti is simply along the way, then it doesn't cost me much (if anything). There is a Lagos-Kano line that supposedly will resume soon, for example: http://allafrica.com/stories/201105060590.html

Not good enough to simply say rail is better. On what basis, in this particular case?
And, no, am not confusing anything. Ordinary rail is still very expensive. If you earn USD2,000 per month, a condo costing USD1,000 will be too expensive for you while someone earning 5K per month might consider it ok. It's all relative. If you cant afford it, they dont buy it! Some of these states can barely cover their recurring expenses! The most basic rail line from Lagos to Ado EkitI, via Akure & the other state capitals, will cost USD billions to put in place & millions more to maintain per year. Public projects are hugely inflated in Nigeria and there is no current need for this one

Huge overestimate of the cost

No, this particular debt is not worth it. It will bring pain, not value add. No one is suggesting that a state turns its back on other forms of industry. What I suggest is that the immediate and medium term priority should be agriculture, from where complimentary indutries can also develop - food processing etc Agriculture will employ plenty of people directly or indirectly.

It is far more important for the states to open up and fix rural roads so agric produce can be easily transported to municipal markets than wating billions on fancy rail projects which will bastardise state finances for decades to come.
Again, you overestimate the costs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Never Endorsed Jonathan —yoruba Elders Council / I Can Do Without Finance Minister- Buhari / They Said Virgin Mary Appeared In Kaduna (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.