Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,330 members, 7,954,335 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:57 PM

Wenger Accused Of Giving His Players Drugs. - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Wenger Accused Of Giving His Players Drugs. (1428 Views)

Nwakali And Chukwueze With Arsene Wenger & Nwankwo (Photos) / Messi Accused Of ‘Bullying And Insulting’ Team-mates To Point Of Tears / Did Mourinho Instruct His Players To Get Red Cards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wenger Accused Of Giving His Players Drugs. by 1025: 10:35am On May 14, 2011
Arsenal boss Wenger dismisses Merson's medical claims

Page last updated at 15:37 GMT, Friday, 13 May 2011 16:37 UK

E-mail this to a friend
Printable version

Paul Merson Merson was sold by Wenger soon after the Frenchman arrived at the club

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has dismissed claims from former Gunners midfielder Paul Merson about the club's medical treatment of players.

Merson, 43, who played under Wenger during the 1996-97 season, claimed in French magazine So Foot that players were injected with a "yellowy product".

He also said that Wenger himself had handed out "a dark tablet", which was super-strength caffeine.

But Wenger said on Friday: "I cannot take that comment seriously."

Merson played 423 times for Arsenal, scoring 99 goals before he was sold by Wenger to Middlesbrough at the end of the 1996-97 season.

But the remarks from the former England international, who has a history of drug, alcohol and gambling addictions, have led to an angry response from the Frenchman.

"I don't know how many players have played here over 15 years, 200 maybe," said Wenger.
Continue reading the main story

It is absolutely ridiculous to put any suspicion on the way we treat the players and respect the players' health

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

"Some of them stayed for 10 years. Paul Merson stayed with me for four months, so I think it is better you ask people who have played for five, six, seven, eight, nine years here how we behave medically.

"I personally give them nothing. If they don't want to take anything, they take nothing.

"If you find one player who I asked to take something, bring him here in front of me. If we give them something, it is multi-vitamins, magnesium, calcium or vitamin C like everybody else.

"Every year we have at least 20 doping controls. In 15 years we have not had one positive control. You think, really, I try to dope?

"If you find one player who I asked to take an injection to play one game, no matter how big the game was, I would resign tomorrow morning.

"It is absolutely ridiculous to put any suspicion on the way we treat the players and respect the players' health."

could this be why walcot runs like a drugged dog? pls, arsenal fans, what do u think about this accusation by an arsenal ex-player? again, could this be what kolo toure took to man city?
Re: Wenger Accused Of Giving His Players Drugs. by andypash(m): 11:44am On May 14, 2011
Why in this earth will anyone have this kind of thought about arsenal if u complain of theo way of runing what will u say of wright philip or tevez, or what will anyone says of chelsea and man city players that play physical football
Please think before u say things hear from wenger he said if anyone can come to his front as either else or now and say it with a proof i(wenger) will resign my job ie his confident in what is saying
Re: Wenger Accused Of Giving His Players Drugs. by HNIC(m): 2:07pm On May 14, 2011
andypash:

Why in this earth will anyone have this kind of thought about arsenal if u complain of theo way of runing what will u say of wright philip or tevez, or what will anyone says of chelsea and man city players that play physical football
Please think before u say things hear from wenger he said if anyone can come to his front as either else or now and say it with a proof i(wenger) will resign my job ie his confident in what is saying
Pay no attention to what this guys says.
Most of them are influenced by alcohol and are frivolous discussions that take place in a beer parlour.
I just love AW. . . See hoe he has painted Merson as an idiyot.
If I were Merson's relative, I won't feel proud to be associated with him
Re: Wenger Accused Of Giving His Players Drugs. by olabukola: 10:34am On May 15, 2011
HNIC:

Most of them are influenced by alcohol and are frivolous discussions that take place in a beer parlour.
Why? Cos he said the truth. You did not eben dispute what he said rather you are attacking him.

Are you sure that guy don't sell gbanaa? Its been long am suspecting him TBH.
Re: Wenger Accused Of Giving His Players Drugs. by 1025: 9:26pm On May 15, 2011

@HNIC,
wow,
longest time. where have u been? the last time i heard from you was when u asked me where arsenal was and where chelsea were. please is arsenal still 4 points ahead of chelsea?
see, no be quarrel, na arsenal ex-player talk say wenger dey give them something to drink and no be me. again, wenger defended toure when he had his drug case so i just became curious.
anyways, as usual, wenger, arsenal and their fans including u are going home empty handed for the sixth consecutive season. na waa. una no dey tire?

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Administering Fantasy League This Season / Football Writers Wanted - Monthly Pay Job / (opinion) Reasons Mourinho Should Start Keeping Costa On The Bench

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.