Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,294 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law (9359 Views)

Ahmad Lawan: Court Can't Stop Amendment Of Signed Electoral Act / Buhari Writes Senate, Seeks Amendment Of PIA / Lawan Suggests Amendment Of Land Use Act, See What He Said (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by deltaboyo1: 7:04am On Aug 19, 2021
ABUJA–PRESIDENT of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan yesterday said if there are identified areas in the newly signed Petroleum Industry Act, PIA, that require amendment, they should be brought to the National Assembly for legislative action.

The President of the Senate also said that no human beings could be perfect and that most difficult issues can still be brought back to the National Assembly.

Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari had on Monday signed the recently passed Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB, into law.

Lawan stated this while fielding questions from journalists shortly after a brief ceremony at the Presidential Villa where the President announced the setting up of an implementation Committee for the new law.

He said it is when implementation starts, that’s when people will start to see where and where amendment is needed.

According to him, “So this is something we all have to address with some optimism and hope that it would be okay. But because we are human beings, no act of human beings could be perfect. So when we are able to see issues, the National Assembly is there. Bring them for amendment. Even the most difficult issues can still be brought back to the National Assembly. If it is worthwhile to do so. But I believe that there is no need for us to be emphasising the problems rather than the prospects.”

Responding to questions on the agitation for more funds for the host communities, Lawan said the host communities are winners as well, though It may not be necessarily exactly what some of them had hoped, with time, such issues will be further addressed.

He said, “But you know from zero to over 500 million dollars and with time, such issues will be further addressed but I want to also caution that it is not the 500 million dollars that is more but how we are able to prudently and transparently deploy this 500 million dollar in the host communities. This time around, there should be no excuses for anybody to tamper with this money. The host communities have suffered enough, even when NDDC was established, I’m sure it was established because of the host communities’ issues and yet the host communities did not get much attention.

“This time, the host communities have been specifically mentioned and these funds should go there. We want to see people who will be appointed, taking this as trust and do what is right. Of course, there will be so much employment and jobs especially in the midstream of the value chain. This midstream has not been in existence so to speak. What we have is the upstream and then, the downstream. When our refineries will be better and more will be established, I’m sure the value chain will have opportunity for more Nigerians to have jobs and so on. I believe that this is one very historic and important moment for us as a National Assembly, this Ninth National Assembly and of course a very historic moment for this administration led by President Muhammadu Buhari.”

“This is something that previous administrations tried and as hard as they tried, they could not do it. This is one Bill that saw the faces of so many people between the executive and the legislature in the past and yet it could not be passed. The ninth National Assembly by the Grace of God had done the magic and the President had signed it and today we have a Petroleum Industry Act. Glory be to God.”
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/08/pia-lawan-hints-on-amendment-of-new-law/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjKkumgs7zyAhUC_7sIHaNxC1cQlO8DMAZ6BAgEEAc&usg=AOvVaw1m6br27KbuWiyGJcsV4NRo

1 Like

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by FIRDAUS3(m): 7:07am On Aug 19, 2021
From P.I.B to P.I.A +P.M.B all na scam
Lotting lo ma gbẹyin undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Juliusmomoh: 7:07am On Aug 19, 2021
Twistlord:
Hmmm no wahala
There's wahala.

1 Like

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by AroleOduduwa2: 7:18am On Aug 19, 2021
Lawan is worse evil than Buhari.

8 Likes

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by money121(m): 7:55am On Aug 19, 2021
Ok

1 Like

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by tempest01(m): 7:55am On Aug 19, 2021
Stories. You people know what you are doing. When the repercussion comes, don't blame any other person, blame your greedy selves.

You consult and pass bills. You don't sit with a section of the country, write bills and insert clauses to favour them and then force pass it. You are

now saying we can amend it later to save face. Why not pass the electoral bill and amend it later? Why not allow electronic transmission of

results and amend later? We know the game you people are playing. Hopefully the docile south with the potential to play the game better will

also do so when the time comes.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by enyiinne(m): 7:55am On Aug 19, 2021
Truth does not sit in a cave and hide like a lie. It wanders around proudly and roars loudly like a lion....

2 Likes

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Nigeriaaa1960(f): 7:55am On Aug 19, 2021
Still not satisfy with the whooping 30% they awarded to their region undecided

1 Like

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by dimmyj(m): 7:55am On Aug 19, 2021
Okay
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by TechCypher: 7:57am On Aug 19, 2021
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Sabadon(m): 7:59am On Aug 19, 2021
Yeye country
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by InaNla(f): 8:00am On Aug 19, 2021
Rubber stamp fool.

2 Likes

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Authoreety: 8:06am On Aug 19, 2021
Rubber stamp
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Flyingngel(m): 8:08am On Aug 19, 2021
Nonsense.

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Xscape047: 8:09am On Aug 19, 2021
Ok
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by clarocuzioo(m): 8:11am On Aug 19, 2021
greedy idiots, the Northern greed will eventually destroy this country.

2 Likes

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by reiddecuti: 8:12am On Aug 19, 2021
Ok
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by ceaser: 8:16am On Aug 19, 2021
Really?

The people in Southern Nigeria are the ones to change this narrative. With this admittance of error by the rubber stamp legislature, southerners should start picketing their representatives (I personally have an in-law as APC rep member that I've already made known my strong dislike for their I sensitivities to and I will keep throwing him my jabs online and offline) with a view to forcing them to do the needful: represent their interests and always be present at plenary to relay the demands of their constituencies regarding any subject matter discussed on the floor.

For fvck's sake, there is GSM and Internet. You don't even have to travel down to your village to seek their opinion on things. Simply make yourself reachable thru the mobile phone, also conduct online polls to seek their opinions and relay such to the plenaries.

1 Like

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by achillesfoot(m): 8:23am On Aug 19, 2021
Worst senate president in Nigerian history

3 Likes

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by SEGLIZ: 8:24am On Aug 19, 2021
amendment! amendment!! amendment!!!
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by alonzoivaan: 8:28am On Aug 19, 2021
Don't believe what ever comes out of politicians
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Splashme: 8:32am On Aug 19, 2021
That was the entire game plan ...

1) Manipulate the bill to favour the North

2) Use party and regional majority to pass it

3) Get the ethno-religious Buhari to assent

4) Ask aggrieved Southern region to initiate amendments if dissatisfied

5) Use Northern majority to suppress any such amendment

1 Like

Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Skillsnigeria: 8:41am On Aug 19, 2021
angry
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by BetExpert: 8:47am On Aug 19, 2021
Hahahaha, amend what? Pay 30% to North first na and see wetin go happen.
Re: PIA: Lawan Hints On Amendment Of New Law by Jamesbiodun(m): 8:55am On Aug 19, 2021
National assembly with no real agenda

(1) (2) (Reply)

TNM: New Third Force To Receive APC, PDP Defectors After Primaries / Atiku Indicted / Spreading Rumors That Our President Is Dead Is Unpatriotic And Ungodly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.