Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? (20317 Views)

Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption / Is The Infinity M35x Very Thirsty Or This Particular One Is Faulty / How To Know If You Have Been Under-dispensed At The Fuel Filling Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by cretin: 7:51am On May 25, 2011
@larky, try any of these steps, either will confirm if the famous rav 4 transmission probs is abt to hit ur car.
1. go to a diagnoistic center, let dem use their scanner, if the get error code p0755 or so, or the solenoid malfunction error.

2. put ur key in the ignition and open the bonnet, turn the key to ON position, but dont start the car, listen carefully in the engine bay, if u hear a humming sound, then its probablly the shift solenoid probs = early warning signs of ecm probs

3. when u put the car in reverse, does it enter reverse with a thump?

4. on the highway when accelarating, does the car hestitate in changing gears, ie a time lag b4 it responds to ur pedal input on the accelarator?

other signs,
Symptoms could occur any time and quite suddenly, without any warning signs. Shifting of gears will become erratic, bumpy, sometime even slipping. Car may start taking off from high gear, reverse engagement often harsh, forward too soft. Check Engine Light might comes on, but not always.

ABOVE ALL, GO TO A DIAGNOISTIC CENTER AND HV THE ERROR CODES READ, THAT WAY U CAN KNOW UR STAND, COS IF ITS THE ECM PROB and u continue driving the car, u will damage ur transmission/gear box, and that my friend costs abt 4k usd in the states, though it might be cheaper in naija,.
there is a thread on nairaland on this rav4 ecm issue, search 4 it, will post it if i see it.

@ siena sorry 4 going offtopic!
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Larky: 9:38am On May 25, 2011
Well, some of these things I have noticed, like delay in gear shift, but I guess I really need to do a scan to be sure of the true situation. I will look for somewhere and get that done this weekend. Like you said, no need to derail this thread with this issue. I will also look out for that ecm thread, You can mail me at olalarke@yahoo.com if you find something I might use. Thanks,
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by cretin: 10:30am On May 25, 2011
'larky
final word on ur rav 4 issue.
go to this link.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=597009.msg7648693#msg7648693
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 25, 2011
Siena:

You zero your trip meter by pressing the trip reset button. The trip meter is the second row of digits, not to be confused with the odometer, which is the total mileage the car has covered.

In response to your question on the suitability of a car for use in Nigeria, I would pick the Nissan Primera over the Ford Focus, because it's easy for a novice to work on, parts are surplus, and your mechanic won't be scratching his head each time he raises the hood.

Siena Baba thanks for always educating us. I will get back to you on how it all turns out. Once again thanks.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 7:09am On May 26, 2011
^^^ No worries, Gist.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Seun(m): 9:45am On Jun 02, 2011
I was going to promote this thread, but then I noticed that it was all about US and UK gallons and miles and whatnot.  Nothing about the system we use in Nigeria, which is kilometers and liters.  So I suggest that a new thread be created with units that Nigerians can relate to. Thanks.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by udeme1759(m): 12:57pm On Jun 02, 2011
Hello siena,
I have a 1999 CRV and this ride is consuming fuel.
What can i do?
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by cretin: 1:50pm On Jun 02, 2011
siena posted the conversion to nigerias units,
see them below.

And for cars without fuel computers. In this instance, the usual way to determine consumption will be to fill your tank, then zero your trip meter, then see how many miles you can achieve before a refuel is required. Of course, you'll need to know your fuel tank capacity in litres or gallons. We'll go by UK and US values:

UK ---4.55 litres = 1 gallon.
US----3,79 litres = 1 gallon.

So, for example, your car has a 66 litre tank, and you cover 389 miles from full to empty, your result should be derived in this way:

UK------ distance covered (miles) divided by fuel tank capacity. So: 389 / 66 = 5.9 miles per litre.
To get miles per gallon: 5,9 x 4.54 = 26.8 miles per gallon.

US------distance covered (kilometres) divided by fuel tank capacity. So: 630 / 66 = 9,5 litres per kilometre.

To convert your kilometre per litre to miles per gallon, simply multiply your result by 2.82. So, 9,5 L/km) x 2.82 = 26.8 mpg.

Seun:

I was going to promote this thread, but then I noticed that it was all about US and UK gallons and miles and whatnot.  Nothing about the system we use in Nigeria, which is kilometers and liters.  So I suggest that a new thread be created with units that Nigerians can relate to. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 02, 2011
^^^ Thanks, Cretin. I'm sure Seun didn't see the conversion to L/km.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Seun(m): 5:44am On Jun 03, 2011
That's not good enough.  On a Nigerian forum, people shouldn't have to manually convert figures to the local units.  It's not the same thing.  The figures should be presented in kilometers and liters and, if need be, you can include instructions for converting the figures to colonial units.

1 Like

Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 03, 2011
Seun, I did ask people to just give me figures, if they need help with calculations.

Besides, it's probably a good thing, if Nigerians try to work things out for themselves, once in a while.
wink

2 Likes

Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by mishooo(m): 4:21pm On Jun 03, 2011
Question for you Siena:

My Car is 55 ltrs and i want to calculate miles/litre. Is the 55Ltrs inclusive or exclusive of the lower reservoir?
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by sultaan(m): 6:19pm On Jun 03, 2011
Here is a simple way.

Fill your tank to the brim(hope the shut off works) full level; at the same time reset your trip meter by pressing and holding the knob on odometer.

Once your trip is zeroed, drive till your fuel level indicator reaches half way mark(half tank).

Fill up your tank again from the half mark and write down how many litres it took.

Then divide the number of miles/ km you have in your trip by the volume of gas you just used to fill it up in gals/litres.

Basically calculating how long you drive half tank. If its far off from the EPA ratings of you car, then your check engine light is definitely on, or you have a lead foot.

2 Likes

Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2011
mishooo:

Question for you Siena:
My Car is 55 ltrs and i want to calculate miles/litre. Is the 55Ltrs inclusive or exclusive of the lower reservoir?

Sorry for my late response.

Yes, your tank capacity is inclusive of your lower reserve, typically about 6 litres.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by amrerobert(m): 9:43pm On Jun 09, 2011
i use a rover 620si with a honda hala engin 1.8l. 1997ed. full tank about 66l of fuel
cover 200km on 30l of fuel  in town and 310km on same volume of fuel on high way. i.e 9.4km/l

1 Like

Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 27, 2011
My Audi A4 3,0 V6 Avant Quattro has been replaced with something beefier, in terms of car, engine and power output. So my new consumption data will follow shortly, still need to get the tank close to empty though.

Car make: Audi.
Car model: S8 Quattro.
Engine size: 4,172cc V8 40V.
Car year: 2002.
Fuel tank capacity: 90 litres / 19,8 gallons.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel computer: Yes.
Transmission: 5-speed Tiptronic.
Air conditioner: Yes.
Fuel range as indicated by fuel computer: 480 miles.
Actual range consistently achieved: ---.

Will do the maths when my fuel warning comes on, and the range indicator is on 0. Right now, I've covered 380.1 miles since brimming the tank, and have just under a quarter tank left, range indicator is showing 75 miles till empty.

Proof a big engine doesn't always mean the car will be a thirsty beast.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Jucol(m): 11:12pm On Aug 27, 2011
Hello House!

Most cars and trucks in Nigeria run below optimum engine working temperature. This is because the " mechanic" has removed the thermostat in the engines cooling system. Their reason is that " oga e dey cause overheating".The thermostat regulates the flow of coolant hence the engine temperature. Removing the thermostat allows the circulation of coolant as soon as the engine is started. Consequently, the engine does not get to its opt. performance temp.

In most car manuals, the manufactures indicate the normal working temperature range, and the temp at which the thermostat is set. For Peugoet 306(1,8L petrol) , 1997 model, Station wagon A/C, the engine heats up to 89 degrees celcius( centigrade), before the thermostats opens up.

I sent the above car to my family in Nigeria. It was cleared in Tin can. The agent and my bros called me on their way from the sea port, complaining that the car was "seriously over heating". The following dialogue took place:

AGENT: Ah Oga the car dey overheat o!
ME: what is the temperature?
AGENT: Oga e don pass middle.
ME: Did it get to the red zone?
AGENT: No. But it has risen?
ME: where do you expect the temperature indicature to be? Is the fluid in radiator boiling?
AGENT: Ah! It is suppose to be very low. But it is not boiling.
ME: Don't worry. It is ok. it will not boil. The thermostat will open soon.
AGENT: Oga we go remove the themostat now. angry angry angry
Me: Don't tamper with the themostat.

The thermostat was not removed, and the coolant fluid is a mixture of water and radiator coolant(glycol) 70:30% ratio. The engine could get as hot as 110degress celcius without the coolant boiling off.

If you fill the radiator of this car with water only, the water may boil and evaporate when the engine heats up to about 95degrees. Then you have problems. (user problem)

The car has been performing perfectly.
Before it was sent to Nigeria, the car was doing 14.5km/L on highway.

ASK YOUR MECHANIC THE ROLE OF THE THEMOSTAT AND WHY HE REMOVED YOUR THEMOSTAT.

Happy driving grin grin

Correct me if am wrong somewhere grin

1 Like

Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
Jucol, wrong place to post this. Would you mind starting your own thread? Thanks!
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Jucol(m): 10:08pm On Aug 28, 2011
@Siena:
Jucol, wrong place to post this. Would you mind starting your own thread? Thanks!

I am surprised that in all your wisdom you did not see any correlation between my posting and the subject matter. You very well know that a car is a piece of machinery- a system. There are components ( organs) that work together for efficiency of the system. So, if you want to achieve system efficiency, you must ensure the components are working as they should.

Note: The type of spark plug also affects fuel consumption. This has to be discussed too smiley

Threads are meant to be commented on. If you do not entertain supplementary info on your postings, ok. I respect that.

Cheers! grin
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 29, 2011
^^^ Jucol, there are lots of defects that could affect an engine's fuel consumption, and I could list a whole page on here, but it will not be what this thread's about. That would be a defects thread. This thread is more about fuel consumption on a daily basis, in real-time driving. We're referring to consumption, rather than what may increase or decrease it. smiley
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Jucol(m): 9:05am On Aug 29, 2011
^^^ Jucol, there are lots of defects that could affect an engine's fuel consumption, and I could list a whole page on here,

That is precisely what I am hammering on smiley. People are interested in covering more kilometers per litre of fuel. You expressed that when you screemed "Good Lord" at Cretin's figures above. Sir, kindly list those defects.

If all the system components in your Audi A4 are working perfectly and it does 8.2 km/L for example, it will be wrong for me to expect my Audi A4 with tampered components( themostat, plugs, sensors etc) to have thesame consumption.

Anyone with that same Audi A4 will be tempted to go their mechanics to make unnecessary adjustments/ changes to reach the 8.2km/L.

In comparison, you normally say "all things being equal" or under same conditions etc.

I am expecting your list. I guess others are too.

Cheers! smiley
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by cretin: 9:47am On Aug 29, 2011
@siena. jucol, you guys are both right, we need any necessary info to help us make better mpg values

am doing about 210miles per full tank in traffic/intercity driving and 310miles per full tank [55LITERS) in my 4wd auto gearbox car, i wud appreciate any info that wud give me higher values.
seems the nigerian fuel is bad. hv changed 2 post CAT oxygen sensors and 1 pre CAT oxygen sensors within 8months, totaling 3 sensors within 1yr, and the 4th pre CAT SENSOR has gone bad 2 weeks ago too, giving me intermittent check engine lights!
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 29, 2011
Well, as at today I've achieved 429.7 miles, with a possible 5 miles indicated range. I have a jerry in the trunk, I'll put that in tomorrow. In theory, it may be possible to cover at least 10 miles more, but I'm not keen on running completely dry, and stalling on a major road.

Fuel range as indicated by fuel computer: 480 miles.
Actual range consistently achieved: 429.

429.7 / 90 = 4,8 miles per litre.
4,8 miles per litre x 4,54 (1 gallon) = 22,0 miles per gallon.

I'm chuffed with the consumption values, especially as I drive with a lead foot. smiley
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by cretin: 10:26am On Aug 30, 2011
WOW NICE!, CONSIDERING ITS A V8 ENGINE,

how does it fare in traffice?, say lagos traffic?, whats ur mpg like?

tiptronic, am too lazy 2 google now, pls what/how does it work?
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 30, 2011
cretin:

WOW NICE!, CONSIDERING ITS A V8 ENGINE,

how does it fare in traffice?, say lagos traffic?, whats your mpg like?

tiptronic, am too lazy 2 google now, pls what/how does it work?

It does well in traffic, consumption can drop to 18 mpg, but still reasonable, given the engine size and power output.

Tiptronic is an advanced auto tranny. It has the regular auto mode, and a separate gate for manual shifts. Tap the lever to +, and it changes up a gear, tap to -, and it down shifts. Mine also has the +/- buttons on the multi-function steering wheel as well.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by aug27: 11:48pm On Aug 30, 2011
hw u dey siena pls if vehjcle display VSA on dash board what does it sjgnify
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Sicherheit(m): 1:08am On Aug 31, 2011
aug 27:

hw u dey siena pls if vehjcle display VSA on dash board what does it sjgnify
It means there is a problem with the Vehicle Stability Assistance. This can happens when you oversteer or the car slides
Read More

The VSA system is an active safety system that consists of three technologies. Two of them are existing safety systems – Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Traction Control System (TCS) – previously offered in Honda vehicles. The third technology in a VSA system is a Side Slip Control feature.

An example of when side slip may occur is when a driver engages a corner too quickly on a wet road. When the cornering forces of a vehicle are greater than the available tire grip levels, side slip occurs. If the front wheels are slipping sideways, the car is understeering. On the other hand, if the rear wheels are slipping sideways, the car is oversteering.

There's a button on the dashboard that you can press to reset it.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 30, 2011
Well, I've set myself a new record, as of last Friday.

Power: 360 bhp.
Torque: 430 Nm.
Car weight: 1,858 kilograms (4,096 lbs).
Fuel range as indicated by fuel computer: 495 miles.
Actual range consistently achieved: 508.

508 / 90 = 5,6 miles per litre.
5,6 miles per litre x 4,54 (1 gallon) = 25,4 miles per gallon.

Nigeria figures = Distance covered / tank capacity (940 / 90) = 10,4 kilometres per litre.

This was achieved with mixed driving styles - city and highway.
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by earthrealm(m): 6:51am On Dec 01, 2011
AT SIENA, AM IMPRESSED AT THE MPG U R GETTING, IS UR CAR SPEC SIMILAR TO ONES BELOW?am in the market for either a toyota 4runner or highlander, but am kinda put off by the poor mpg of the 4runner v8 engines, even the mpg of the v6 4runner aint so good too.i gat a fairly good quote on a highlander hybrid, but am a lil bit worried abt maintaince issues here in naija, whats ur overall opinion?

2004 Audi A8

This information is specific to this model, not the actual vehicle for sale.
Snapshot
EPA Fuel Economy:
City: 17 Highway: 24
Available Engines:
330-hp, 4.2-liter V-8 (premium)
Available Transmissions:
6-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual

OR

2002 Audi S6
This information is specific to this model, not the actual vehicle for sale.
Snapshot
EPA Fuel Economy:
City: 14 Highway: 21
Available Engines:
340-hp, 4.2-liter V-8 (premium)
Available Transmissions:
5-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2011
Earthrealm, my S8 is based on the Audi A8 D2. The S versions are the high-performance models. The A8 / S8 are all aluminium bodied, so a lot lighter than the equivalent BMW 740i or Mercedes-Benz S420. They are heavier than the Audi, as they are regular steel body.

The 2004 Audi A8 4,2 V8 you've posted will be closest to my S8, in terms of equipment, fuel consumption is similar too. The 2002 S6 is based on the Audi A6, and is the high-performance version. A very different animal, and heavier on fuel, despite being lighter and 20 bhp less.

As for the Toyota 4Runner, don't be put off by the published fuel consumption figures. It's often possible to better thos figures, by a wide margin too. And don't forget, the 4Runner's been around for a while, so is a proven SUV. What model year are you looking to get?
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by cretin: 10:35pm On Dec 01, 2011
smiley nice thread
Re: The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? by earthrealm(m): 10:40pm On Dec 01, 2011
COS OF COST, am looking at  04/05 4runner, SINCE  03  TO 09 PROLLY HV THE SAME SHAPE, dont wanna go for 03, since its the first series in the 03-09 model, and u know what they say abt the first series in any model, and prolly a v6.chked - the 4runner is just 4.5 inchies longer than the highlander, tot the diff was  much  bigger

so whats your take on maintaining a hybrid  in nigeria?, is the engine/parts  radically diff from a conventional highlander?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Know The Tire Size That Suits Your Car (Photos) / My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt / National Drivers License Now Valid For Five Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.