Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,161 members, 7,811,352 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md (8969 Views)

Buhari Dissolves AMCON, Appoints Ahmed Lawan Kuru as MD / Meet The First Nigerian Female ISIS Terrorist / Abeokuta Gets First Flyover Bridge! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Sarahluv(f): 8:20pm On May 22, 2011
Obviously, you are only good for running ur mouth and spewing insults. If u have other figures, reel them out, and just stop using the insults as an avenue to show u lack any meaningful contribution to this thread
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 22, 2011
The problem with Nigeria is the Ibos and Yorubas. May God punish both of them. Idiotic Tribalists.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Sarahluv(f): 8:24pm On May 22, 2011
I stand by what I have said: In Nigeria, Glaxosmithkline shareholders in the worldwide company hold 100% of Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals and 40% of Glaxosmithkline consumer (because they divested).
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by emmatok(m): 8:33pm On May 22, 2011
Immediately i saw the title of the tread, i knew another NL tribal war will start.

He is not the first Nigerian to bacome the MD of a multinational and he won't be the last.

What is all this  about ? TRIBALISM  SIMPLE

So if their was to be a vote for A WEST AFRICAN MD on the board of SHELL PETROLEUM.

A Nigerian won't get the MD because the IGBOS AND Yoruba s will vote against each other.  undecided undecided undecided undecided

NON-SENSE.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by kettlejnr: 8:42pm On May 22, 2011
I became GSK MD at a time it was taboo to appoint Nigerians to the post
By NKARENYI UKONU
Sunday, 21 Feb 2010

Lekan Asuni

Lekan Asuni
He was appointed to run the affairs of the Nigerian arm of a multinational pharmaceutical company – GlaxoSmithKline – at a relatively young age. Lekan Asuni tells NKARENYI UKONU about his experience as the GSK managing director and what propelled him to the top

AT the age of 40, Lekan Asuni was appointed the managing director of GlaxoSmithKline

Pharmaceuticals, Anglophone West Africa. Interestingly, he rose through the ranks, starting out from the shop floor as a medical representative.

As he grew with GSK, Asuni rose to become the product manager, group product manager, marketing manager and marketing director, before finally attaining his current position, which he has held for two years.

”I came into GSK immediately after my youth service and I have remained here for 19 years,” says Asuni. ”I rose through the ranks, handled various portfolios and different projects in other departments. That gave me a lot of exposure, which made me better prepared to manage the company.

”For almost eight years, a Nigerian hadn‘t occupied the position and it was almost becoming a taboo that Nigerians would occupy the position. When I became MD, I had calls from a lot of people saying to me, ‘This is a paradigm shift; this seat is not only for you, it is a battered generation, you must demonstrate that we have capable people who can run a big organisation of this size.‘

”My international boss also me that he believed we had a lot of talent here and that it was up to us to make a success out of it.

”I had massive support from my colleagues and I run a management made up of only Nigerians. We‘ve been able to demonstrate that we have people of integrity and focus, who can run the show and if there are any negative perceptions about Nigerians, we have started to correct it.”

Born into the family of Alhaji Olasupo Asuni, who was a politician and businessman with interests in real estate, and Mrs. Elizabeth Asuni, the younger Asuni recollects that he had fun while growing up as the only male child of the family.

”My parents were very supportive,” he recalls. ”They cared for me and gave me all that I needed within their means. They set me on the right path in terms of what I should value in life. It was a balance between being disciplined and allowing me catch my fun.”

Still recalling his childhood, the native of Ako-shasa in Ipokia Local Government of Ogun State says, ”I used to like football while I was in secondary school, but my parents‘ belief then was that I would get distracted.

”So I discontinued. I then decided to go into boxing for the fun of it. But someone got the message across to my mum and she targeted our sporting period, came to the school to warn our coach not to allow me get involved in boxing.”

His choice to study pharmacy at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, was premeditated. ”I love medical related professions. The choice was between medicine and pharmacy, but it was actually the ability to have a deeper understanding of the development and the impact of medicine that attracted me to it. I am also an alumnus of Ash-ridge Business School, United Kingdom.”

His love and passion for marketing soon overshadowed his first love, pharmacy, especially as he was able to distinguish himself in the marketing aspect of the multinational, garnering various awards to prove his mettle.

He says, ”I was moved from my sales role into marketing and marketing in pharmaceuticals means you must have the technical knowledge about the product and be able to marry it with marketing elements. For me, it has always been a dream to go into marketing, something that keeps you constantly challenged to know more about products, competition and integrating all to appeal to your consumers.

”I needed something that would challenge me to read and know more within the pharmaceutical industry. That was why I veered off into marketing and by the time I was completing my MBA, it was clear I had to do marketing.”

Having come this far at an age most people in this clime are yet to make an impression in their career, Asuni, whose mentors have been his bosses, is of the opinion that tenacity, focus, a passion for success, hunger to make a mark and a strong belief to always aim to do and achieve one‘s best, are some of the things that propel him.

He adds that patience and perseverance are two of the most significant things that have shaped him into who he is today.

Says Asuni, ”People ask me, ‘Why did you stay so long in GSK; did you know you were going to be made the MD?‘ I had no clue I will be made MD at 40; I didn‘t know it would be that close. I was just enjoying my job, doing my best, deriving satisfaction in what I do and getting results. I felt that one day the recognition would come, either here or outside. But whatever I have achieved, I owe it all to God.”

But it wasn‘t all rosy for him. He admits to facing challenges on the way, which he was able to surmount ”by the grace of God.”

”I was almost confused at a point in my career,” he recollects. ”I felt I was performing, but wasn‘t seeing any path to move up. I had very tempting offers for positions I never applied for and I thought of throwing in the towel and wondered if the grass would be greener on the other side. I think it was divine intervention that I didn‘t pick the jobs.”

Married to Franca, a native of Ishan in Edo State, it becomes imperative to know why he settled for a non-Ogun State native and a Christian, though he is a Muslim. The exercise buff recalls, ”We met while I was up North in the line of duty.

”When we got married, she couldn‘t practise her religion. I tried to put her through in the Muslim way, but she couldn‘t cope. There was no point not allowing her to develop herself spiritually. So I let her be. She still tries, but we all need to be tolerant in a way. She made an effort though and that is what is important.”

Having been married for 14 years, he says of his wife, ”She is pretty, we understand each other well enough, she is hard working, intelligent, lively, and fun to be with. She read agriculture and she runs her own firm. We decided from the outset that she will be independent. She runs an animal husbandry farm.”

Asuni, who likes to work hard and play hard by partying and dancing, tries ”to be considerate to humanity” in whatever he does.

To this end, he is involved with the Yewa Awori Youth Agenda Forum, a pressure group in his home town.

”Part of our objective is to help uplift the economic manpower and social well-being of the people in Yewa Awori Ogun West district,” he says. ”Besides counselling people in their careers, we build social integration by way of sporting competitions. I was once a member of the Rotary Club, but I couldn‘t keep up due to time constraints.”

Currently the vice-president of the Association of Representatives of Overseas Pharmaceutical Manufacturers of Nigeria, he says he has no plans to take after his dad in politics.

”With the experience and exposure that I am getting here, I can positively contribute my quota to my constituency without necessarily contesting or going into active politics,” says Asuni.

Does he really need politics and its problems?

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201002212173960
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by nigboy(m): 9:12pm On May 22, 2011
This a break through
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Aderupoko2: 9:49pm On May 22, 2011
The guy is MD,same way am MD.So,kini big deal tongue tongue tongue
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by hackney(m): 9:56pm On May 22, 2011
omo_to_dun:

The problem with Nigeria is the Ibos and Yorubas. May God punish both of them. Idiotic Tribalists.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

My eyes dey cry.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aloyemeka1: 10:27pm On May 22, 2011
emmatok:

Immediately i saw the title of the tread, i knew another NL tribal war will start.

He is not the first Nigerian to bacome the MD of a multinational and he won't be the last.

What is all this  about ? TRIBALISM  SIMPLE

So if their was to be a vote for A WEST AFRICAN MD on the board of SHELL PETROLEUM.

A Nigerian won't get the MD because the IGBOS AND Yoruba s will vote against each other
.  undecided undecided undecided undecided

NON-SENSE.

You are very right, I tell you. Some Igbo lady told me she lost a conference interpretation position to a Camerounian because a Yoruba sitting on the board voted against her[the only Nigerian in that stage] simply because of tribalism. Some Yorubas have suffered the same fate in the hands of Igbos sitting in one board or another.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by emmatok(m): 10:37pm On May 22, 2011
aloy/emeka:

You are very right, I tell you. Some Igbo lady told me she lost a conference interpretation position to a Camerounian because a Yoruba sitting on the board voted against her[the only Nigerian in that stage] simply because of tribalism. Some Yorubas have suffered the same fate in the hands of Igbos sitting in one board or another.

My Brother no be small thing o o o.

Wahala dey.

See the way these illiterate Chinese and Indians are taking over the management Nigerian Firms because, Igbos and Yorubas are busy fighting each other.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aljharem3: 10:41pm On May 22, 2011
aloy/emeka:

another happened to my yoruba friend who lost a job in uk (BP) just because an igbo woman said he looks yoruba and thus awo's blood is in him. angry angry

such tribalism

yoruba and igbo 2 stu.pid ethnic group
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by dempeople(m): 10:43pm On May 22, 2011
Congratulations to Chidi Okoro for a remarkable feat.

emmatok:

My Brother no be small thing o o  o.

Wahala dey.

See the way these illiterate Chinese and Indians are taking over the management Nigerian Firms because, Igbos and Yorubas are busy fighting each other.

Quite sad. Quite very sad. If only some Igbos and Yorubas can reason beyond their collective mistrust, they would've conquered the African business scene long ago while making headway globally.

alj_harem:

another happened to my yoruba friend who lost a job in uk (BP) just because an igbo woman said he looks yoruba and thus awo's blood is in him. angry angry

such tribalism

yoruba and igbo 2 stu.pid ethnic group

Ah ah. Alhaji you've come again. Its not stupidity but inherent mistrust. Both are conquerors in their game but the issue of trust makes them uneasy with each other.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Chidoxyl(m): 10:54pm On May 22, 2011
I just want to say a very big Congratulations to my "namesake", Chidi. D truth about our being proud of your achievement is dat dis lofty achievement of yours is not only 4 U alone, but 4 we all as Nigerians. I sense dis is d beginning of "GOODLUCK". May d good God continue 2 bless NIGERIA.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Nobody: 11:41pm On May 22, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Amen. . .Nigeria will be a better place without those monkeys.Awon omo Ajeokuta mamu omi .
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by damola1: 11:51pm On May 22, 2011
I don't bloody care whether he's a f**king Nigerian. All I care about is IF he can get the job done, and I wish him well.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by damola1: 11:57pm On May 22, 2011
He makes a wrong decision to import the wrong kind of drugs, or produce the wrong kind of drugs, or even use people as Guinea pigs like some people did in Kano, then it's a problem, Nigerians lose jobs, lives are lost, so personally, all I want his for him to be capable to deliver what's required.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by DisGuy: 12:40am On May 23, 2011
I honestly think, sometimes, the moderators SHOULD actually 'define' the course of discussion in some threads in the political section cool
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by okunoba(m): 1:50am On May 23, 2011
Igbo vs Yoruba, I just cant take it anymore. Always glad when a brother is doing well, I just hope he does a good job.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by supereagle(m): 5:58am On May 23, 2011
A friend of mine has been as far back 1997 or 98, he got on 2007 and became MD. Congrats. I will like to know the secrets .
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by DisGuy: 7:16am On May 23, 2011
^^ erm hard work, integrity and results,

less politiking and holy water
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by SweetT1: 1:38pm On May 23, 2011
@Ileke idi

i heard rapture happened in FL.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by AjanleKoko: 1:45pm On May 23, 2011
Dis Guy:

I honestly think, sometimes, the moderators SHOULD actually 'define' the course of discussion in some threads in the political section cool

LOL.
Here one has to ring the bell and step aside. This board is UFC, not Olympic Martial arts grin
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by DisGuy: 10:43pm On May 23, 2011
o critical cool

This constant UFC is turning to Nurtw no-holds-bar rioting, a no nonsense moderator should be included especially one living in another time zone as the current ones as it seems the rioters mostly come out at 'night' when they have retired for the day
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by qqqqq: 1:33pm On May 24, 2011
Congratulation to Chidi okoro ,all Nigerians ,all the blacks and mankind.Nigerians especially should see the positive side of this development.Firstly,there is this psychological/motivational advantage here as this will challenge all of us to be our best in all that we do and let the best be acceptable to the organisation /endeavour we find ourselves.

Secondly,I believe that the new MD will be very sensitive to responding to the demand of the local market especially in the area of price reduction and improving the quality of their products considering that he was born and bred in Nigeria.

Employment of Nigerians into the various important positions are most likely to increase.

And many more advantages.

Being tribalistic/hateful is being short-sighted and seeing the cup half-empty.Remember when you love God and mankind,there will not be any space in your hearth for hate.

Please lets show love to everyone.

I love you all!!!!!!!
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by DisGuy: 1:57pm On May 24, 2011
qqqqq:

Congratulation to Chidi okoro ,all Nigerians ,all the blacks and mankind.Nigerians especially should see the positive side of this development.Firstly,there is this psychological/motivational advantage here as this will challenge all of us to be our best in all that we do and let the best be acceptable to the organisation /endeavour we find ourselves.

Secondly,I believe that the new MD will be very sensitive to responding to the demand of the local market especially in the area of price reduction and improving the quality of their products considering that he was born and bred in Nigeria.

Employment of Nigerians into the various important positions are most likely to increase.

And many more advantages.

Please lets show love to everyone.

I love you all!!!!!!!

undecided
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by MrDewdrop: 5:08pm On May 26, 2011
Well done I wish him all the best in his new role.

As for the miserable tribal bufoons on here goodluck to you guys. While you imbeciles are peddling tribal nsi (Sh*t) on here on nations more diverse than Nigerian are looking to forge ahead to develop their nation.

Oyinbos must have been laughing their heads off with their first contact with Nigerians and the black man in general thinking what self destructive species most of us are.
Black man you are on your own!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re-establishment Of Police Ministry To Address Insecurity — Minister / Anambra Government Alleges Plot To Arrest Key Officials On Trumped-Up Charges / Malami: Buhari Won't Sign Electoral Bill If Amended For Selfish Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.