Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,687 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md (8970 Views)

Buhari Dissolves AMCON, Appoints Ahmed Lawan Kuru as MD / Meet The First Nigerian Female ISIS Terrorist / Abeokuta Gets First Flyover Bridge! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Sarahluv(f): 10:56am On May 22, 2011
Chidi has had an inspiring career. He has worked as a senior manager in MTN and Globacom, and was recruited as Marketing Director for Glaxosmithkline consumer Nigeria plc in 2007. He has done us proud by becoming the first Nigerian MD of the company.

hardywaltz:

If this guy were Yoruba this tread would be busy as tribal warlords would have filled the air with silly remarks on how intelligent Yoruba or sons of oduduwa are! So may I congratulate my Igbo Brother for this rare achievement.

hardywaltz, why? Why did u have to say such a thing. Why turn it to a tribal thing?
Let me educate you - Chidi is the MD of the Consumer arm of Glaxo (They make ribena, lucozade, boost, panadol, phensic, cafenol and other consumer goods and OVER-THE-COUNTER drugs)

Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd which covers West and Central Africa with Nigeria as the headquarters for WCA and markets the core pharmaceutical products, however has had at least two General Managers: Mr. Olabunmi Olaopa, who controlled West and Central Africa from 2000 to 2004. After him, we had a Moroccan and a Senegalese, then the current GM, a Nigerian, Mr. Lekan Asuni, who has been GM since 2007 came on board.

For your information, Mr. Asuni is in line to become the first Vice President of Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals worldwide.

Now, Yorubas did not post about these two illustrious sons because we have such people at the helm of affairs of multinational companies in abundance. Hardywaltz, you have accused Yoruba people wrongly. I'd rather say that you are the one having wet dreams over what has already become the norm in blue chip companies in Nigeria - They have all had Nigerian heads at one point in time or the other.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by ayzone: 12:09pm On May 22, 2011
That's a laudable achievement. This is so rare in multinational, i pray he doesnt get wrong advice from his fellow cabal into changing company policy especially on cutting staff welfare package or giving false company yearly performance just like the then Cadbury's, best of luck though!
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by otokx(m): 12:13pm On May 22, 2011
kini big deal
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by MMM2(m): 12:19pm On May 22, 2011
d lucky guy
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Aderupoko2: 12:26pm On May 22, 2011
So
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Nobody: 12:33pm On May 22, 2011
Another lion roars. Long live UNN!
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by omogidi234(m): 12:39pm On May 22, 2011
Sarahluv:

Chidi has had an inspiring career. He has worked as a senior manager in MTN and Globacom, and was recruited as Marketing Director for Glaxosmithkline consumer Nigeria plc in 2007. He has done us proud by becoming the first Nigerian MD of the company.

hardywaltz, why? Why did u have to say such a thing. Why turn it to a tribal thing?
Let me educate you - Chidi is the MD of the Consumer arm of Glaxo (They make ribena, lucozade, boost, panadol, phensic, cafenol and other consumer goods and OVER-THE-COUNTER drugs)

Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd which covers West and Central Africa with Nigeria as the headquarters for WCA and markets the core pharmaceutical products, however has had at least two General Managers: Mr. Olabunmi Olaopa, who controlled West and Central Africa from 2000 to 2004. After him, we had a Moroccan and a Senegalese, then the current GM, a Nigerian, Mr. Lekan Asuni, who has been GM since 2007 came on board.

For your information, Mr. Asuni is in line to become the first Vice President of Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals worldwide.

Now, Yorubas did not post about these two illustrious sons because we have such people at the helm of affairs of multinational companies in abundance. Hardywaltz, you have accused Yoruba people wrongly. I'd rather say that you are the one having wet dreams over what has already become the norm in blue chip companies in Nigeria - They have all had Nigerian heads at one point in time or the other.

He was also in top management at Promassidor-
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by airmark(m): 12:53pm On May 22, 2011
@ hardywartz, must u turn every topic tribal war? Yorubas had held MD positions in multi nationals like cadbury, unilever, nestle e.t.c. Good u said it was a rare achievements for the igbos. Congrats to Mr. Okoro.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by denaija(m): 12:56pm On May 22, 2011
^^^^^amen
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aljharem3: 1:04pm On May 22, 2011
undecided

congrates mr okoro grin
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by ak47mann(m): 1:07pm On May 22, 2011
congrates mr chidi cheesy cheesy
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by edoyad(m): 1:40pm On May 22, 2011
@ hardywartz, must u turn every topic tribal war?  Yorubas had held MD positions in multi nationals like  cadbury, unilever, nestle e.t.c. Good u said it was a rare achievements for the igbos. Congrats to Mr. Okoro.

hardywaltz, why? Why did u have to say such a thing.  Why turn it to a tribal thing?  Let me educate you - Chidi is the MD of the Consumer arm of Glaxo (They make ribena, lucozade, boost,  panadol, phensic, cafenol and other consumer goods  and OVER-THE-COUNTER drugs) Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd which covers  West and Central Africa with Nigeria as the  headquarters for WCA and markets the core  pharmaceutical products, however has had at least two  General Managers: Mr. Olabunmi Olaopa, who controlled West and Central Africa from 2000  to 2004.  After him,  we had a Moroccan and a Senegalese, then the current  GM, a Nigerian, Mr. Lekan Asuni, who has been GM since 2007  came on board.  For your information, Mr. Asuni is in line to become  the first Vice President of Glaxosmithkline  Pharmaceuticals worldwide. Now, Yorubas did not post about these two illustrious  sons because we have such people at the helm of  affairs of multinational companies in abundance.  Hardywaltz, you have accused Yoruba people wrongly. I' d rather say that you are the one having wet dreams  over what has already become the norm in blue chip  companies in Nigeria - They have all had Nigerian heads at one point in time or the other.

Hardywaltz set a boo'by trap and you two just walked straight into it. God luck.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Mwankpy: 1:50pm On May 22, 2011
Be-e-e! Hardywltz was only saying the obvious. Remember the Nigerian girl in the US who got admitted to Ivy League universities at a young age? As soon as some Yorubas discovered she was from Osun State they exploded in tribalistic rantings, which later drowned the wonderful achievement of this young Nigerian ambassador. We should focus on issues raised and not drag noble issues to the mud. Congrats, Okoro. We are proud of you! Be-e-e!
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aljharem3: 1:55pm On May 22, 2011
Mwankpy:

Be-e-e! Hardywltz was only saying the obvious. Remember the Nigerian girl in the US who got admitted to Ivy League universities at a young age? As soon as some Yorubas discovered she was from Osun State they exploded in tribalistic rantings, which later drowned the wonderful achievement of this young Nigerian ambassador. We should focus on issues raised and not drag noble issues to the mud. Congrats, Okoro. We are proud of you! Be-e-e!

did u not read this

Sarahluv:

Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Pafuri(m): 1:59pm On May 22, 2011
Obviously, it is not often that you guys see this level of "achievement".
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aloyemeka1: 2:25pm On May 22, 2011
Sarahluv:

G[b]laxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd which covers West and Central Africa with Nigeria as the headquarters for WCA and markets the core pharmaceutical products, however has had at least two General Managers: Mr. Olabunmi Olaopa, who controlled West and Central Africa from 2000 to 2004. After him, we had a Moroccan and a Senegalese, then the current GM, a Nigerian, Mr. Lekan Asuni, who has been GM since 2007 came on board. [/b]

Do you actually know there is a big difference between MD and GM?
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by hardywaltz(m): 2:41pm On May 22, 2011
Hardywaltz dis; Hardywaltz dat; for those of u who angered by my comments I can only say sorry but that's what NL turns u into. My close friends I hang out with include Yorubas and 1 of them was my bestman during my wedding. Its only when u come to tribaland sorry Niaraland that u hear all sorts of rubbish from tribal warriors from both divides. If u read an article on 234next, mostly mature and patriotic comments u see there, read that same article here and u will be wowed by sheer delusion of NLander who are privileged to have a keypad with internet access. Its tym u guyz wake up to reality.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by hercules07: 2:45pm On May 22, 2011
Aloy, there is a difference, there are GMs who are senior to MDs, imagine a big company with several units, the Group GM is far and above the unit MD.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aloyemeka1: 5:04pm On May 22, 2011
hercules07:

Aloy, there is a difference, there are GMs who are senior to MDs, imagine a big company with several units, the Group GM is far and above the unit MD.

What I was trying to show is that titles are defined according to companies. Sarahlover  mentioned someone being the potential VP of Beecham but the fact is that some VP's are as good as branch managers and the title is usually used by native US companies.

Sarahluv:

Now, Yorubas did not post about these two illustrious sons because we have such people at the helm of affairs of multinational companies in abundance. Hardywaltz, you have accused Yoruba people wrongly. I'd rather say that you are the one having wet dreams over what has already become the norm in blue chip companies in Nigeria - T[b]hey have all had Nigerian heads at one point in time or the other.[/b]

And how many of those companies survived in the hands of Awolowo bred Igbo and Yoruba GM's?. Leventis, UAC, Lennards, IGI, John Holt,  etc. Should we be proud of heading those companies when we stole them to coma and unplugged the machine even when they were in life support?. I pity Smitkline Beecham in the hands of another Nigerian MD because they may die like others did. No offense to Nigerians please.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by AjanleKoko: 5:25pm On May 22, 2011
This is just laughable. Already a tribal fight?
A Nigerian became the MD of a company incorporated in Nigeria, in Nigeria, and everybody is slinging insults all round. Are we that low in morale now?
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aljharem3: 5:28pm On May 22, 2011
aloy/emeka:

What I was trying to show is that titles are defined according to companies. Sarahlover  mentioned someone being the potential VP of Beecham but the fact is that some VP's are as good as branch managers and the title is usually used by native US companies.

And how many of those companies survived in the hands of Awolowo bred Igbo and Yoruba GM's?. Leventis, UAC, Lennards, IGI, John Holt,  etc. Should we be proud of heading those companies when we stole them to coma and unplugged the machine even when they were in life support?. I pity Smitkline Beecham in the hands of another Nigerian MD because they may die like others did. No offense to Nigerians please.

mumu what has awolowo got to do with this

this site is crap angry

tribalism evrywhere, seh we no fit rest angry
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aljharem3: 5:29pm On May 22, 2011
unbelieveable!!!!
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by ineshed: 5:56pm On May 22, 2011
When this guy(Chidi Okoro) was in Globacom,dem rubbish am like say d guy nor get any thing upstairs.
Thank God he has been able to prove himself even in a much better, structured and sophisticated organisation.Congratulations sir.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by toblosky(m): 6:04pm On May 22, 2011
alj_harem:

mumu what has awolowo  got to do with this

this site is crap angry

tribalism evrywhere, seh we no fit rest angry
are u a Nigerian,are u following.hello shocked
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Sarahluv(f): 6:22pm On May 22, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Do you actually know there is a big difference between MD and GM?

What I was trying to show is that titles are defined according to companies. Sarahlover mentioned someone being the potential VP of Beecham but the fact is that some VP's are as good as branch managers and the title is usually used by native US companies.

Read my original post again. Chidi Okoro is MD Glaxosmithkline consumer Nigeria plc. This is a Nigerian Company quoted on the Stock Market in Nigeria. Glaxosmithkline international owns 40% stake in this, hence always influence who the MD is. The operations of this company starts and ends in Nigeria.

Glaxosmithkline pharmaceuticals is a company with worldwide operations. They are not quoted on Nigerian stock exchange. The Nigerian office has Directors reporting to it from all of West and Central Africa. The GM is far above the MD of the Nigerian Company in the Company organogram.

aloy/emeka:

UAC is alive and well, so is John Holt and IGI. GSK pharma has thrived under Nigerian GMs. Most Companies on the Stock exchange in Nigeria have thrived under Nigerian Management. There have been cases of some Companies folding up, but this is not peculiar to Nigeria. It happens all over the world. Thank you for acknowledging that Awolowo bred stars who rose to become GMs. That is a great legacy.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aloyemeka1: 6:54pm On May 22, 2011
Sarahluv:

Read my original post again. Chidi Okoro is MD Glaxosmithkline consumer Nigeria plc. This is a Nigerian Company quoted on the Stock Market in Nigeria. Glaxosmithkline international owns 40% stake in this, hence always influence who the MD is. The operations of this company starts and ends in Nigeria.

Who cares how much GSK stake is in the Nigerian branch?. It is still GSK and they bear the brunt of the company. It is like a franchise anyway but the most important thing is that they have never trusted Nigerians to run their company in Nigeria . You must be mumu because 40% stake in Nigeria is pretty much the largest share and all the important decisions depends on them otherwise one would have noticed the same ethnic nonsense as witnessed in this thread which will culminate in the overall death of the company. Look at indigenous Nigerian banks and the rate by which indigenous MD's steal from them. 

Glaxosmithkline pharmaceuticals is a company with worldwide operations. They are not quoted on Nigerian stock exchange. The Nigerian office has Directors reporting to it from all of West and Central Africa. The GM is far above the MD of the Nigerian Company in the Company organogram.
How did you conclude that the GM is far above the MD from this jargon you wrote up here?

UAC is alive and well, so is John Holt and IGI. GSK pharma has thrived under Nigerian GMs. Most Companies on the Stock exchange in Nigeria have thrived under Nigerian Management. There have been cases of some Companies folding up, but this is not peculiar to Nigeria. It happens all over the world. Thank you for acknowledging that Awolowo bred stars who rose to become GMs. That is a great legacy.

UAC and John Holt are alive and well?. Hisssss;No need to waste my energy. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by tlops(m): 6:56pm On May 22, 2011
9ice 1!
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Sarahluv(f): 7:36pm On May 22, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Who cares how much GSK stake is in the Nigerian branch?. It is still GSK and they bear the brunt of the company. It is like a franchise anyway but the most important thing is that they have never trusted Nigerians to run their company in Nigeria . You must be mumu because 40% stake in Nigeria is pretty much the largest share and all the important decisions depends on them otherwise one would have noticed the same ethnic nonsense as witnessed in this thread which will culminate in the overall death of the company. Look at indigenous Nigerian banks and the rate by which indigenous MD's steal from them. 
How did you conclude that the GM is far above the MD from this jargon you wrote up here?

From your own quote, you said 40% stake in one company is pretty much the largest shareholding in Nigeria, yet you cannot decipher that 100% holding worldwide in the other Company indicates which the Global Company holds in higher regard. Now, the Nigerian entity controls Nigeria market for OTC drugs and consumer goods, while the Global body holds the core Pharmaceutical business tight and controls WEST AND CENTRAL AFRICA. If you cannot decode that WCA is bigger than Nigeria, then I can't help you.

PS: You are a daft for calling me mumu.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 22, 2011
At last an intelligent Igbo son have broken the record. The first of its type in 9ja. Wakeup yoruba.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by Dorisdey1: 7:54pm On May 22, 2011
Igbo Kwenu! "Yorubas" will not be happy and we should understand why.Go to their Glo and ask how they tried to rubish this Same Chidi just because his name is not Kolawole,Gbenga or Awolowo.I pity them.I pity them
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aloyemeka1: 8:01pm On May 22, 2011
Doris-dey:

Igbo Kwenu! "Yorubas" will not be happy and we should understand why.Go to their Glo and ask how they tried to rubish this Same Chidi just because his name is not Kolawole,Gbenga or Awolowo.I pity them.I pity them

And who are the Yorubas who will not be happy?. Is the Igbo MD paying your bills?. How you Nigerians think attimes baffle me. That is why Nigeria is a cesspit today because Igbo will prefer to vote in SS/SE person, Yoruba will prefer to vote for Yoruba, Hausa will prefer to vote for Hausa even if the person is a certified rogue. Imagine if you were in the board who voted him in and there is a better Yoruba candidate who will lead the company better, I already know you will not vote for him. You bleeps need redemption.
Re: GlaxoSmithkline Gets First Nigerian Md by aloyemeka1: 8:02pm On May 22, 2011
Sarahluv:

From your own quote, you said 40% stake in one company is pretty much the largest shareholding in Nigeria, yet you cannot decipher that 100% holding worldwide in the other Company indicates which the Global Company holds in higher regard. Now, the Nigerian entity controls Nigeria market for OTC drugs and consumer goods, while the Global body holds the core Pharmaceutical business tight and controls WEST AND CENTRAL AFRICA. If you cannot decode that WCA is bigger than Nigeria, then I can't help you.

PS: You are a daft for calling me mumu.

This mumu is still here, how did you get the 100% holding?. In 21st C?. Which multinational company has that?.Am I surprised, after all you claim that John Holt and Lennards are alive and well in Nigeria. May be its time you put large chunk of your stake in those companies instead of struggling to buy Dangote shares.  tongue tongue tongue Ode!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Already Have An OFR National Award – Alele-williams / Sokoto, Zaria Attacks: Boko Haram Claims Responsibility / Is Obi Cubana now a saboteur see latest PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.