Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,275 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

The First Time You Cooked? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The First Time You Cooked? (10072 Views)

White Girl Sees Nigerian Fried Plantain For The First Time And Reacts / See What A Lady Cooked For Her Man ! / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 11:19am On Aug 27, 2007
@sweetberry

U cooked moimoi without grinding it eh!

Interesting!

@all
what was ur weekend like as per cooking, I no rest at all o, na so so cook i just dey do.

sweet food though cool
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 12:08pm On Aug 27, 2007
Elgaxton:

@all
what was your weekend like as per cooking, I no rest at all o, na so so cook i just dey do.

sweet food though cool

;Dafter my first disasterous attempt and some other consecutive ones grin, i learnt the skills of preparing good food, even if i haven't heard of the menu before, just teach me once or better still give me the cookery book, and am good to go! cheesy

well for the weekend, i spent limited time cooking and more time shoppin and window-shopping! i looooooooveeeeee shoppppppppping!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2007
@herdey2u

I want to learn how to cook Ogbono soup

are u good at it?
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 1:17pm On Aug 27, 2007
grin yes o , there are two method i learnt, the rush hour own ( u cook in college or 4 ur belle only), and the one you cook when you are expecting visitors:

Rush hour method;

i am going to cut the chase here, depends on the protein u are using; ( excluding fresh fish at this stage)make sure u get it cleaned,spiced and boiling,
some "soak" the ogbono powder(watever you wanna call it) in palm oil and some in hot water,
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 1:30pm On Aug 27, 2007
if you are using the stock of your meat/dried fish/ panla( okporoko), taste for salt/ maggic, keep it simmering pour your (socked) ogbono paste and stir, i like putting the bleaeched palm oil last, (although i have added the palmoil to the stocked before my ogbono paste )both ways works.Do not cover the pot completely, if you have to, but make sue you stir well and avoid making it burning,let the fresh fish be the last thing to go into the pot. if its too thick had the quantity of water to your taste. Lower the fire and allow it to cook for a few minute, and you are good to go.

U can add some veggies , if you want!

Dont forget taste as you go over very addition!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by ehie007(m): 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2007
mine was a disaster. i wanted to cook beans, and my mum warned me then not too, but i was too sturbon to listen. the beans burnts, half way, i riggled my way through but the beans didnt get cooked weel , ita was hard, but i still ate a good part of it, cos it was my own doing. Men my stomach was hard after i ate the beans.

But now am a very good cook.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by sweetberry(f): 8:31pm On Aug 27, 2007
Elgaxton:

@sweetberry

You cooked moimoi without grinding it eh!

Interesting!

i didn't cook moin moin i cooked ewa as in boiled beans u get it neways it was a long time ago
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 9:14am On Aug 28, 2007
@herdey2tu

sorry men I've been off nairaland, my company blocked the website cos I infected everyone with the website and 'em they just blocked it.

I'm in another office where the ISP is completely different

Thanks for the tip

@sweetberry

Just pullin ya legs grin grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 9:46am On Aug 28, 2007
Elgaxton:

@herdey2tu

sorry men I've been off nairaland, my company blocked the website because I infected everyone with the website and 'em they just blocked it.

I'm in another office where the ISP is completely different

Thanks for the tip

wink u are welcome!
i hope you wunt infect everyone again in your new office, but whats wrong with teh infection anyway?
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 10:13am On Aug 28, 2007
@HERDEY2TU

abeg na office politics jare, all this ladies wey get beef amongst themselves na them get the wahala!

reporting themselves that every1 browses nairaland.

U know ladies na!

so that's it

so what did u eat for breakfast?
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 12:13pm On Aug 28, 2007
Elgaxton:

@HERDEY2TU

abeg na office politics jare, all this ladies wey get beef amongst themselves na them get the wahala!

reporting themselves that everyone browses nairaland.

You know ladies na!

so that's it

so what did u eat for breakfast?

smiley so sorry i am just reading your post, i had to attend to something urgent. Well i had one club sandwich ( prepared by moi) and a limed tea.But i couldn't resist taking yoguort afterward, since i have sworn myself off ice cream grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 12:15pm On Aug 28, 2007
@Elgaxton

So what did you have for break fast? Abi na what would you or are you having or have had for lunch? cheesy
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 12:22pm On Aug 28, 2007
@herdey2tu

hmmm

I had rice and beans with stew, na me prepare am o.

Well I'll likely take Eba and egusi soup for lunch that's if i have the time for it.!

U see urself, u wan stay off ice-cream come dey take Yoghurt! u try well well! grin cool

what's for lunch on ur side?
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 12:34pm On Aug 28, 2007
i will probably have a fruits and boiled plaintain with vegetables
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2007
for lunch? illk

That's more like bird food to me

E no dey form shit

y not eat something heavy that will hold ur stomach
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 1:28pm On Aug 28, 2007
Elgaxton:

for lunch? illk

That's more like bird food to me
E no dey form shit
y not eat something heavy that will hold your stomach

grin for real, am really trying to place myself on a diet! no be my fault
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 2:22pm On Aug 28, 2007
are u that fat? forget e my sister, just stay off junks and Ice-cream! eat good

U'll keep shape
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by herdey2tu(f): 3:18pm On Aug 28, 2007
cheesy not fat , but full, just want to return to a size 8. am current rocking on a Size 10.

But i eat well o, just want to cut down on my carbohydrate intake!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2007
Ok o
what's for dinner, today is some1's birthday in my office so enough chop chop,

so funny pple are lookin for what to do to make dem slimm me, me I'm looking for WHAT TO MAKE ME FAT(IRONY OF LIFE)!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by soulpatrol(f): 8:16pm On Aug 28, 2007
irony indeed o.

herdey2tu:

cheesy not fat , but full, just want to return to a size 8. am current rocking on a Size 10.
But i eat well o, just want to cut down on my carbohydrate intake!

girl, same predicament. i mean i used to be totally comfy with my size, but when u live in a society where scrawny ass lepa girls that are size 0 are parading all about u, wetin u go do now? i thot being a size 10 was perfect until i came to yankee o! grin

at the end of the day, its all about being healthy and comfortable in ur own skin. i add on weight quick so i've cut out my consumption of meat, and i stick to fish. i've also discovered that not munching at night helps a whole lot. i used to eat a lot of junk food late at night because i had trouble sleeping early, so i'm learning not to wander into the kitchen after 6pm. hard to do but with time, u'll get used to it and its worth it. because when you eat so late, the food doesn't digest properly and by the time u sleep, its all being turned into fat. not good at all! smiley

my apologies for digressing o, eyin peoples! cheesy
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Elgaxton(m): 9:19am On Aug 29, 2007
@soulpatrol

U mean if i eat late I will get fat? That means na 12:00am I go dey eat now o!

I wanna add weight abeg!
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Pip(m): 10:50pm On Nov 10, 2007
I remembeer years back my younger brother cooked beans. We all were hungry and where waiting. No food at home. Next thing I tasted the beans it was drawing.He mistakenly put ogbono instead of crayfish.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by kellygirl(f): 2:39pm On Nov 13, 2008
funny cheesy
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by PG: 10:10pm On Nov 20, 2008
i am sorry! but not a laughing matter. i have never found myself in cooking b4,so the first time of my cooking was on fish. i never knew on how to cook that soup. i just boiled water without salt,onions, in fact all the requirements. then i too the soup to my elder sisters to join me eat.they laughed at me saying no oil !! white soup !! no test !! nothing nothing. i fell some how on that day. please, there is a needs to start practicing at early stage.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Cayon(f): 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2008
my first time cooking -

i put a tin of beats in the soup.

the entire soup turned red.

didn't know why the soup turned red (scared as hell) so i dumped the soup

after talking to someone - it was like duhhh its the beats

They all laughed at me grin grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by DonEse125(f): 9:11am On Nov 23, 2008
When i cooked beans 4 d first time somethin hilarious happened. Up until then,everytin was goin fine,i'd boiled the beans wit d pressure pot,stewed it,etc. Then,i reached up 4 d grinded crayfish and put some inside. I tasted it,there was no change,so i said,hey,what the heck and turned d whole container in. I let it simmer for a few mins,then i turned off d flame and left. Half an hour later,my mum opened d pot 2 serve the food. Then she yelled and was like,holy shit! Esosa,get in here now. So i went in(along wit errybody else)and asked her what's up. She put the spoon in the pot and brot it out. Wait 4 it,wait 4 it. . . . d damn beans was drawing like ogbono soup! My mum was like what did u put in2 dis? All d years of my life i've never seen anytin like dis! I kept protesting my innocence,and mum threw d whole pot away. The next morning,i was stil tryin 2 undastand wat happned. Stil havent figured it out? You knw grinded ogbono and grinded crayfish look alike. It turned out dat i'd emptied a whole container of ogbono into d beans.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by otikpoko(m): 11:28pm On Dec 11, 2008
@poster,nice topic.The first time i cooked,it was fun.I prepared melon soup.It was not easy cooking for the first time without any aid or help from anyone.When i was cooking,anybody that comes into the house must make a comment(positive comment) concerning the food on the fire.When the food was served finally on the table by my mother,my father was praising my mother that today's supper was fantastic,superb,excellent,delicious,tasty and so on.After the praising,my mother then told him that i prepared the food.He was very suprised that i was able to prepare or cook such delicious meal without any help.My brothers and sister devoured the food voraciously and they told me that they almost ate the plate.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by TOYOSI20(f): 1:04am On Jan 18, 2009
Cant really remenber how old i was, i know i was pretty young though. . . . tongue

And how can i forget, it was rice and the whole thing came out looking soggy, too much water and too salty too!! lipsrsealed
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by osisi2(f): 1:11am On Jan 18, 2009
I fried eggs with palm oil.
It was horrible
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Aladunni(f): 2:18pm On Jan 27, 2009
grin

prepared amala for the whole house,

poured a whole pot away 3 times before i eventually made the one that looked more like what i dont know, it was spreading on each plate as i served the family. its funny now but God knows i was ashamed of myself that day despite i was young.
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by Omolola1(f): 11:14am On Jan 28, 2009
mine was rice and stew,

the rice was so watery, it was like akamu, it was as if we were eating water. Men, it ws so bad, to make matters worse, i didnt add salt at all. grin

then the stew was not any better, it was TOO SALTY! No ingredients in it. Worse of all, the stew got burnt! undecided

We ate it like that anyway, my mum praised me a little considering the fact that i was just about 7 years then. tongue

IT WAS TERRIBLE! grin
Re: The First Time You Cooked? by millieo(f): 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2009
I will never forget the first time I cooked Yam. I actually thought the water will dry up like that of rice. The yam was greatly cooked with a lot of burnt sides. Guess what? I was made to eat nearly half of the yam. For about six months after I ran from cooking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Legend Green Tea, Lemon And Ginger / Ekiti/ondo State Cuisine / What You Can Eat/drink To Shrink Fibroid Without Regrowth 07065486053

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.