Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,974 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month (7227 Views)

Can I Survive In Akwa Ibom With 1M Account Balance At 22? / How I Survive On A Salary Of 95k As A Married Man / How I Survive On 3k Per Week In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by BabyGhoul: 7:50pm On Sep 24, 2021

I had to do this thread because I have been seeing some comments from Nigerians stating that 300,000 is nothing in present Nigeria. So I want to show how I save mine.
Disclaimer: If you live in Lagos, this is not for you. angry For other normal Nigerians, please proceed. grin

What do I do?
I am a freelance writer. When I started in 2019, my average monthly earning was #50,000 which was about $100. But now I am assured of #300,000 ($700) per month. The goal is to hit $1,000 by the end of the year.

What is the breakdown of my expenses?
1. Rent – 22,000
I read an interesting nairaland thread that made a case for saving your rent every month and I have adopted that practice. I moved from a self-con of 120,000 because it was becoming a den for yahoo gang, to a serene place that costs me 220,000.

2. Food – 20,000 (bimonthly)
About every two months, I go to the market and buy foodstuff in bulk because it is much cheaper. Since I really don’t like cooking, I earmark a day to prepare bulk meals and store them in the fridge. Lasts for about two months.

3. Miscellaneous – 30,000
This covers bills and extra expenses I might not plan for. There is always money left over at the end of the month.

4. Parents- 30,000
I give my parents something to supplement their income every month. They don't ask for it but hey...

5. Tithe – 30,000
This was not easy for me. But to love God no be for mouth, you gotta show working. After dodging it for a while, and almost not doing it, I went through with my vow. Funny thing is I did not even feel it as I thought I would. The last tithe I paid was #1,000 back in school. So to go from that to this current amount is quite heady stuff.

6. Siblings- 20,000
This is to supplement what my dad gives to my siblings as they are still in school. Once I give them, they automatically know they are not supposed to call me to ask for shi shi.

7. Education – 10,000
In this business, you have to keep enriching your knowledge or else… So this money is for courses in my specific field.

8. Fun money – 20,000
All work and no play makes Jill a dull gurl. tongue

9. Data -5,000

10. Invest – remainder
I used to convert the money and throw into mutual funds and shares thanks to tips in the investment section. But recently, I have decided to just leave it in dollars.

How do I segment the money?
I have four bank accounts.
P.S. I opened them for free while I was in school so don’t judge me. angry

• The Keystone account is the disbursement center grin. It is where I receive the money after converting the dollars to naira. When I am done transferring the money, the only thing remaining is about 2,000 – my own urgent 2k.
• The Stanbic holds money meant for my parents and siblings.
• The First bank account is where I store the miscellaneous funds. It has an atm.
• The Fidelity account holds the fun budget. It also has an atm.
For my rent, education, and big purchase savings, it will not be possible without Piggyvest app. These guys have been a yuuuge blessing.

How did I start?
Nairaland business section gave me a helping hand. When I started out as a writer, I would go scouting for jobs there. The #2,000 per article I was earning really helped me as sad a student then. I was swindled sha but it’s all part of it.

When I was done with school, I knew I was not going to do NYSC because I didn’t care to work in an office. So it was on this same nairaland I did my research for the cheapest state to relocate to in Nigeria. I settled for Osogbo because of constant light. I must admit that the stories about skull miners in politics section scared me about the place, at first. But since coming here I have never regretted my decision. Middle finger to all tribalists. angry Light is constant, I don’t even have a generator. And the rare times there are issues, I can go to a nearby cyber café and work.

How did I relocate to Osogbo?
I was an avid saver in school, coupled with the small jobs on nairaland, I was able to move to Osogbo in 2019 with #220,000. I knew absolutely nobody here. So I scouted for houses on Jiji and got the number of an agent that was incredibly helpful. I bought a one-way ticket for about #30,000 and rented a house with #150,000. Got a small mattress and utensils with the remainder.
Side note: I came to Osogbo with two bags but if I want to leave here now, I will need trailer… grin Thank you Osogbo kiss

What I use to work?
My second-hand laptop I bought for #50,000 in 2017. My phone. An MTN mifi that costs me 12,000. And of course, data. Light is no issue, at all.

How I live?
My life is relatively simple. I am always indoors except when I get bored and then, I dress up like the slay queen I yam and take myself out grin. I don’t go clubbing, probably because I have no friends here. By the way, I am not lonely at all. This is the first time in my life I have ever been on my own and the experience is exhilarating.

I don’t follow the news because of the constant negativity. I know most people are in a state of despair so if I don’t filter what I take in, I can become depressed at the general state of things. So I block everything out and create my own cocoon where negativity does not penetrate. I also have several nairalanders that I follow which stops me from checking frontpage. Once I am done reading their posts, I log off and do something else.
I don’t have a TV cos Youtube and books are there.

I am also frugal. For instance, I just changed the Nokia 2 that I had been using since 2018 to an iPhone X, because of the low memory and charging point. That phone is expected to last for a while. Would have gotten a Samsung but I wanted to try another operating system.
I also save up for big purchases. The iPhone X I got was #150,000 and I had to save #10,000 every month for 15 months to get it. Piggyvest helped me with that.

I do have weaknesses though.
I love online shopping but that is covered by the fun expenses in the budget. Once the budget is exhausted, na till next month be that. undecided

In a nutshell
This is how I live with #300,000 in current-day Nigeria, and for now, it will do.
Grazie smiley

30 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by Terone: 7:53pm On Sep 24, 2021
Owu go soon kiss you, spend all, no save/invest. You own the company and can never be sacked undecided
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by BabyGhoul: 7:56pm On Sep 24, 2021
Terone:
Owu go soon kiss you, spend all, no save. You own the company and can never be sacked undecided
I am not spending all. I cannot be saving at my age. Investment na the koko. Thanks for reading smiley

10 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by heniford2: 8:00pm On Sep 24, 2021
Your a big girl for some in Nigeria a way bigger girl angry grin cheesy angry grin

2 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by illicit(m): 8:00pm On Sep 24, 2021
If u know how much I earn monthly ehn....

I live comfortably tho but then my laptop was stolen hmmmm
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by yanabasee2: 8:03pm On Sep 24, 2021
Majority of jobs out there pays less than 60k for graduates.....

Banks pay better than FG workers for entry level....

So, I am always thinking when I see people mention 200k to 300k monthly salaries and still ask people if they should start a family with it.... How annoying....

4 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by yuping(m): 8:04pm On Sep 24, 2021
Hmmm who will teach me how to make this money naa.
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by chatinent: 8:23pm On Sep 24, 2021
Deleted.
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by PermSec01(m): 8:25pm On Sep 24, 2021
[quote author=BabyGhoul post=106137183][/quote] I just PM you...kindly reach out... I'd wish you can tutor me on this freelancing thing.plz embarassed
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by chatinent: 8:30pm On Sep 24, 2021
PermSec01:
I just PM you...kindly reach out... I'd wish you can tutor me on this freelancing thing.plz embarassed

I once conducted a training. I charged ₦10k for the full training.

Some of my students are cashing out now. In fact, I have a training on getting an approved Upwork account..and landing your first gig.

Think big.

3 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by PermSec01(m): 10:48pm On Sep 24, 2021
chatinent:

I once conducted a training. I charged ₦10k for the full training.

Some of my students are cashing out now. In fact, I have a training on getting an approved Upwork account..and landing your first gig.

Think big.
is it a physical class or online
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by chatinent: 10:51pm On Sep 24, 2021
PermSec01:
is it a physical class or online

It is an online training. It's done on Telegram.
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by Flytime: 4:11am On Sep 25, 2021
Somehow I ended up in your thread searching for something else but to be honest that was a nice read
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by Kingslaw(m): 4:56am On Sep 25, 2021
chatinent:

It is an online training. It's done on Telegram.
how can reach you?
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by somehow: 7:21am On Sep 25, 2021
People survive on half of what you earn even in Lagos

Infact, married people.

It's good you highlighted what you wanted for yourself and followed through, some are living the life the society dictated for them.

1 Like

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by PuZZyNegro: 7:42am On Sep 25, 2021
BabyGhoul:
I am not spending all. I cannot be saving at my age. Investment na the koko. Thanks for reading smiley

I am happy for you. Can I ask the tribe you're from?

Your story sounds similar like mine, but unlike you, I moved to Lagos.

You're a girl so don't care much about heavy investments like owning a car or building a house thus the reason you can split your earnings to have over 70k in giveaway (parents, siblings, tithe).

A man will definitely spend differently.

As for @chatinent trying to sell upwork training tutorial here, tell them the truth that they need to know.

Getting approved upwork account is not a guarantee for anything. Freelance space is already saturated and takes a lot to break through now than it was some years back.

I started freelancing in 2016 and I work mainly on Fiverr. Only managed to get one job on upwork and even after getting a five stars rating from the client, nothing else yet since that time.

11 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by Magnoliaa(f): 8:01am On Sep 25, 2021
Humph.
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by chatinent: 8:06am On Sep 25, 2021
Kingslaw:
how can reach you?

Contact me via my profile.
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by chatinent: 8:08am On Sep 25, 2021
PuZZyNegro:

You're a girl so don't care much about heavy investments like owning a car or building a house thus the reason you can split your earnings to have over 70k in giveaway (parents, siblings, tithe).

As for @chatinent trying to sell upwork training tutorial here, tell them the truth that they need to know.

Getting approved upwork account is not a guarantee for anything. Freelance space is already saturated and takes a lot to break through now than it was some years back.

I started freelancing in 2016 and I work mainly on Fiverr. Only managed to get one job on upwork and even after getting a five stars rating from the client, nothing else yet since that time.

Ok.
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by BabyGhoul: 11:42am On Sep 25, 2021
PermSec01:
I just PM you...kindly reach out... I'd wish you can tutor me on this freelancing thing.plz embarassed
Apologies for the late reply. I have a deadline I need to meet so time is precious.

Tutoring you won't be that easy because I don't know the niche you want to specialize in. Besides, I don't feel I am qualified to teach as I haven't achieved my desired goal, yet.

But here are a couple of threads that started me on my journey:
https://www.nairaland.com/2594236/elance.com-upwork.com-other-freelancing-site
https://www.nairaland.com/2947212/exclusive-how-make-level-2
https://www.nairaland.com/3237273/how-make-regular-income-offering
https://www.nairaland.com/5898215/how-build-enviable-income-email

If you are interested in earning passive income by selling books on amazon:
https://www.nairaland.com/1499182/making-regular-income-publishing-amazon
https://www.nairaland.com/5764986/kdp-kindle-amazon-books-corona

If writing is not your forte and you want to sell domain names:
https://www.nairaland.com/3430037/what-make-money-online
https://www.nairaland.com/5822942/earning-dollars-squadhelp-brandable-domains

There are many more in the business section.

Note that all of the above threads are quite long, but the wealth of knowledge in them are priceless and available for free.

If you still don't want to go through the above routes, you could pay someone to tutor you.

Thanks smiley

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by PermSec01(m): 11:58am On Sep 25, 2021
BabyGhoul:

Apologies for the late reply. I have a deadline I need to meet so time is precious.

Tutoring you won't be that easy because I don't know the niche you want to specialize in. Besides, I don't feel I am qualified to teach as I haven't achieved my desired goal, yet.

Note that all of the above threads are quite long, but the wealth of knowledge in them are priceless and available for free.

If you still don't want to go through the above routes, you could pay someone to tutor you.

Thanks smiley

thank you so much....i will go through all d links...
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by bukatyne(f): 12:06pm On Sep 25, 2021
BabyGhoul:

cheesy grin

@bold:

I am sure there is a 'not' in white font there wink
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by bukatyne(f): 12:07pm On Sep 25, 2021
[quote author=BabyGhoul post=106137183][/quote]

Lovely lovely lovely kiss kiss kiss kiss

Seun ought to collect tithe from you, NL has really been helpful cheesy

Enjoy yourself.
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by BabyGhoul: 12:08pm On Sep 25, 2021
PuZZyNegro:

Everything in this world is saturated but there is always space for newcomers to put their own personal twist on things.
I had the reverse with Fiverr. For some reason, I just can't understand that platform but Upwork has been good to me.

Giveaway ke? undecided grin
My parents are the ones taking care of their extended families. The meagre sum I insist on giving them is strictly for them to spoil themselves with.
As for tithe, my church has an effective charitable wing so I am assured that it is put to good use.
Per my siblings, they love calling at all times to ask for things with school. So allocating that budget to them frees me from dipping into my savings whenever they call.

Buying a car now won't make sense because I rarely go out. Building a house will mean I have to stay in a place permanently and ion like dat. Renting gives me the freedom to move anywhere. I want to travel around the world one day while working.

Won't mention my tribe but my state has a beach grin

8 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by BabyGhoul: 12:09pm On Sep 25, 2021
bukatyne:

Lovely lovely lovely kiss kiss kiss kiss

Seun ought to collect tithe from you, NL has really been helpful cheesy

Enjoy yourself.
It really has.

Thank you smiley
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by bukatyne(f): 12:10pm On Sep 25, 2021
PuZZyNegro:

@bold:

You don't see ladies around you doing the above?

Besides, why should the OP who works from home and is an introvert in her words buy a car in Osogbo?

2 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by johnpablo541(m): 12:16pm On Sep 25, 2021
BabyGhoul:

Thanks smiley

One thing with Freelancing is a lot of peeps will want to join and start cashing out immediately. They will be like come teach me freelancing na. And when you give them something to read they will run away. I gave a friend Venzal's guide to freelancing some months ago, he read a few pages and told me it is too long, that reading is not his thing. That i should show him a faster way to do this thing jare.

Freelancing no easy o, but it pays. Signed up on Upwork late last year. Couldn't land a gig till early this year, at a point a was almost giving up cos I had used up my free connect and even bought connect. After my first job, it's been jobs back to back. I am not a pro yet but i average about $800 to $1200 monthly.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by johnpablo541(m): 12:22pm On Sep 25, 2021
PuZZyNegro:

I agree that the Freelance space is saturated, I wished I came earlier though. How una take dey get job for Fiverr self. I have made only about $850 on Fiverr, but for Upwork I have made almost $4K there this year, and about $5K outside Upwork.

Freelancing no easy o, it keeps someone awake sometimes late into the night.

2 Likes

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by dahmie2013: 12:59pm On Sep 25, 2021
This is lovely...
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 25, 2021
heniford2:
Your a big girl for some in Nigeria a way bigger girl angry grin cheesy angry grin
Good afternoon bro. You say make I wait abi
Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by MrsDot(f): 1:36pm On Sep 25, 2021
I have beautiful 1st grade thrift (Women) Clothing for sale and I can help you slay on a budget.

Super swift delivery and Free Delivery in Lagos on every 10k and above orders

WhatsApp:- 09138772133

https://www.nairaland.com/6758009/na-mumu-dey-go-boutique#105902308

1 Like

Re: How I Survive In Nigeria Earning #300,000 Per Month by GboyegaD(m): 2:18pm On Sep 25, 2021
This is an interesting read. As you keep up the hard work, may your goals be met.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Come In Here For Your Tokunbo (US, UK, Germany) Items / I Divorced My Nigerian Husband / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Being A 'last Born' In A Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.