Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,041 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! (14292 Views)

Poll: Are things beginning to change for the better?

Yes: 65% (118 votes)
No: 34% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Woman Turns Her Fridge Into A Wardrobe In This Era Of Change (pix) / The Wind Of Change Is Blowing Cross River State. / "Wind Of Hope" Offers To Sponsor Buhari, Jonathan Debate In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by narcissus(m): 1:03pm On Jul 24, 2007
Key Change Management Dictum: A partial effort at change is worse than making no effort at change; this is made even more ineffective when the pain of change is felt only a certain group of people. This is the case in the perfectly rehearsed jamboree being put up by EFCC in Nigeria. It is personal and vindictive (i'm trying to be euphemistic in my choice of adjectives). While there is no denying the greed and avarice of these erstwhile governors, Nigerians are also not blind to the selection procvess of those who are being apprehended. They are all members of the opposition parties or of PDP who fell out at one time or the other with OBJ and his draconian policies (and not all the disagreements were because the governors were asked to stop stealing - more of the resistance to the third term ambition). This will only send out a signal that for you to be free from EFCC's issues all you need to do is toe the lines of the current "big gun" in power. So, is this a sweet wind of change? A new line of political thought of conformism: follow the big gun, be free to steal all you want. Welcome to the new one party era.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by olufash: 1:33pm On Jul 24, 2007
aisha, your write up is excellent. the guy accusing you must be on drugs. forget him and continue the good work.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by angel101(f): 1:49pm On Jul 24, 2007
@narcissus
it might do u well to read the entire thread okay and dont bore us with this weak no brainer repitition. Thank u
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by youngies(m): 2:03pm On Jul 24, 2007
@narcissus
Same old story, and we refuse to buy into it. tongue
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by zoraro(m): 3:01pm On Jul 24, 2007
Is it not too early to be shouting sweet wind of change. This Governors have been arrested not convicted yet. Even if they are convicted what kind of punishment will they be given (One month in prison and they get to keep the loot). As long as OBJ (and is kind) still calls the shot as he does now, this country will remain below rock-bottom as somebody said earlier.
This goes as well for other "changes". Will they stand the test of time.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by nguage(m): 3:38pm On Jul 24, 2007
olu fash:

aisha, your write up is excellent. the guy accusing you must be on drugs. forget him and continue the good work.
well. i am on drugs NOW.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Mystique(f): 6:04pm On Jul 24, 2007
Let's not be pessimistic, Nigeria IS getting better, and can do without all the bad blood. . .
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by ADint(m): 6:29pm On Jul 24, 2007
This is sure a wind of change in any language.  It will make sense to start with the water-tight cases who have fewer 'godfathers' and accomplices rather than start with the ones that will bring the whole exercise to an abrupt halt!  It will get to them eventually!

The amazing thing though, is that just a few weeks back the issue was that the EFCC had turned to a lame duck and could not indict or arrest any of the corrupt ex-office holders, at this juncture no one cared if it was the 'big' boys or 'small' boys, opposition or ally.  When the 'big' boys start trooping into EFCC custody, the argument will shift to 'oh they are not the inner, inner caucus'.  

Let's give it a break.  Whosoever they have started with, in so far as they have a corruption charge to answer to, is good enough in my book.  It's a marathon not a sprint!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by oge4real(f): 9:55pm On Jul 24, 2007
Wind of change indeed cheesy
I am on a visit to Lagos and guess what?No more area boys and indiscriminate siren blaring.At least that is the right step in the right direction.
PRAISE THE LORD!
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by kaypinchi(m): 10:40pm On Jul 24, 2007
Hmmmnnn,

Repiles to this post just shows our state of mind in this country.

A group of people have a resolve to turn this country around for the better and some of us are still picking holes in their actions. (I'm sure some guys will pick holes in Dora's war against fake drugs.)

Are we saying we should let our rulers continue to steal our money or we want to put an end to this inhuman act.
EFCC has started well. Abuja was not built in a day. We will get it right some day but the process must start now.

With this sweet wind of change, polititians will have a re-think before running for office.

In Nigeria's history, how many HOS publicly decleared his assets on assuming office?
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by i4serious: 2:21am On Jul 25, 2007
Not only being arrested but let them cough out some of the money they have embezzled.If all can not be recovered at least some to help those in their various states who are almost starved to death.Sincerely, the wind of change is taking place. It now makes all politicians or Government workers who have the mind of stealing in trilions to want to get it reduced cos of the fear of being caught later.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 25, 2007
I am really happy about majority of the replies to this post. I have always believed in taking a step in the right direction no matter how hard it is. I have come to realise that some People will always find faults, yet these people are not willing believe anything positive can be done in Nigeria. Yesterday, the Presidency Halted all demolitions of Houses in Abuja and ordered the refund of lagos council funds which the former President withheld despite a court ruling.
Now if this is not change i do not know what is. He also ordered all Government officials to obey Court rulings. This was previously unheard of, The Judicary today has taken sides with the masses.
I always believed that Nigeria would be better but i never thought good things will start happening so soon.
I am not trying to praise worship but if you work directly with people hit by thses executive recklessness, you will understand my emotions.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by angel101(f): 10:11am On Jul 25, 2007
i4serious:

Not only being arrested but let them cough out some of the money they have embezzled.If all can not be recovered at least some to help those in their various states who are almost starved to death.Sincerely, the wind of change is taking place. It now makes all politicians or Government workers who have the mind of stealing in trilions to want to get it reduced because of the fear of being caught later.

Most of them already have.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by zenom: 10:25am On Jul 25, 2007
I think people should start having positive thoughts about Naija. Hate or not you are Naija by blood, the sooner you accept it the better.
We have to start from somewhere, YES, we are way behind but there is definitely a wind of change.

The Governors my not be sentenced, fine, but never has it been heard that an ex-governor is being probed.

They couldn't possibly try it during the military regime, heads will roll!! angry angry
Abeg Naija is getting better slowly but surely.

Things are booming look at the music industry, movies, fashion, banks, telecoms, manufacturing,there are more small business now than ever in naija.

Fine poverty level is still high but my people things are changing accept it. cheesy grin
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by londoner: 10:37am On Jul 25, 2007
Aisha, I agree wholeheartedly with you, Nigeria has indeed turned a corner. Its is starting from the top and will continue until we all feel it.

The only thing that is constant is change.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by narcissus(m): 11:21am On Jul 25, 2007
ADint:

This is sure a wind of change in any language.  It will make sense to start with the water-tight cases who have fewer 'godfathers' and accomplices rather than start with the ones that will bring the whole exercise to an abrupt halt!  It will get to them eventually!, Let's give it a break.  Whosoever they have started with, in so far as they have a corruption charge to answer to, is good enough in my book.  It's a marathon not a sprint!
@angel101
Thanks for the criticism. Repitition? definitely. Weak, no brainer? beg to differ. Only wanted to sum up both sides of preceding arguments in a little precis. You might also want to be a little bit more cautious before flinging derogatory words at people and their comments.

@ youngies
talk about repitition.

@adint
Nice argument. I would feel the same way if I had the same degree of assurance you seem to have that it would get to the ones with God fathers eventually. However, I cannot get past the fact that when these corrupt governors are done with, will the executive have the moral courage and political will to go after the other corrupt past and present public officials? I doubt it. You might feel otherwise, I'd really like to hear from you.

@post
Call me pessimistic if it makes your day but I know that politically and slefishly motivated witch hunting disguised as efforts at change will only serve to draw us back and negate the progress that a majority of us are eager to tout as happening. Let's look back @ history, it always repeats itself.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by angel101(f): 12:07pm On Jul 25, 2007
narcissus:

@angel101
Thanks for the criticism. Repitition? definitely. Weak, no brainer? beg to differ. Only wanted to sum up both sides of preceding arguments in a little precis. You might also want to be a little bit more cautious before flinging derogatory words at people and their comments.

Can u show me these words
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by narcissus(m): 12:24pm On Jul 25, 2007
@angel101
no brainer: not requrirng or lacking intelligence
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by AfroCynic: 1:09pm On Jul 25, 2007
I am happy about the arrests and I am happy that these Governors can experience what some Nigerians go through. I am saddened that some people see this as a tribal thing or as a waste of time. Let's remember the country is only 47 years old. It's going to take time and we need to be more patient. In all honesty, I have hopes for this president. I know that the election process that put him there was flawed but he's there now and I hope he can do what he promised in his seven point plan.

As for all these governors, they really believe that they are untouchable. A lot of them will now at try to do right by their states and not swallow money whole while students still do not have teachers and the sick are not being seen to.

I am happy with the current state of play, long may the EFCC continue to be bold enough to the right thing by Nigerians.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by seeu(m): 2:30pm On Jul 25, 2007
Love the changes, but EFCC should try OBJ
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by seeu(m): 2:31pm On Jul 25, 2007
EFCC is defending OBJ. They are not suppose to do so
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by angel101(f): 2:41pm On Jul 25, 2007
narcissus:

@angel101
no brainer: not requrirng or lacking intelligence

And no brainer is derogatory? Na wa o! why dont u tell me also the meaning of derogatory.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by McKren(m): 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2007
Narcissus

I also thought your argument was weak, from the management dictum to your supposed new excuse for corruption did not hold water with me.

I did not want to reply your post but you having to scold someone means you think you were making a point, but I thought you were'nt. will tell you later why.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by Bolarge(m): 2:48pm On Jul 25, 2007
@Topic
Yes. It's about time.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by denex: 3:50pm On Jul 25, 2007
@n-guage

who told you that scooter libby is going to jail. So you don't know? Eiyah.

@davidylan

how can you say what libby was convicted for was not a crime? Was he convicted for being an ordinary everyday law abiding citizen?

@babasin

When I was condemning the newspaper article that compared OBJ's account of N20,000 in 1998 to his total worth in 2007, you people were challenging me. Now can you see what that article has made you say? That OBJ has N180 billion cash. Do you even believe there is any living human being that has N180 billion cash? Bill Gates does not have N180 billion cash.
Please stop reading fantastic articles that will turn your brain upside down.

@topic

for those of you that reject these cases the EFCC has now just because it has not arraigned all the governors at the same time, you can as well tell the police to stop arresting armed robbers if they know they cannot arrest all the armed robbers at the same time.

Where is Lucky Igbinedion going to run to? Who needs to pursue him? At the appointed time, it is Lucky that will submit himself to the EFCC.

Those of you that keep saying selective justice, where were you when EFCC raided the office of Transcorp on account of illicit shareholding? You people will not see that. But when they raid ABTI University, you will see Nigerians talking about selective justice. Why have they not Selected Buhari or is he a staunch PDP Loyalist in disguise? Why have they not jailed Ojukwu? PDP Double agent?

The top 2 opposition Politicians have not been arrested and jailed yet people are saying this is some kind of selective justice. They have not even been disturbed. So is it Nnamani, Turaki, Nyame are the opposition that threatens the PDP? I hope tomorrow, when the police asserts me, Nigerians can come out like this en masse and say I'm being selectively punished because I didn't support 3rd term. Even if I really committed the crime. I'm counting on you guys. Thanks.

I still put it to you all that since you believe it is useless arresting any corrupt governor if all cannot be arrested right now, please tell the police too to stop arresting armed robbers if they can't arrest all simultaneously. In fact, already convicted armed robbers should be released because it is selective justice.

Nonsense talk. No wonder somebody can come in here and say Obasanjo has N180 billion cash.

@ADint

you don understand Nigerians finish. Always shifting the goal post. No wonder dem no sabi play football again.

How can one even be sure that when this same EFCC brings its case up against OBJ, these same Nigerians will not claim that it is being selective because OBJ and Yar'Adua are no more in league. Real nonsense talk some people are talking here.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by youngies(m): 4:33pm On Jul 25, 2007
How can one even be sure that when this same EFCC brings its case up against OBJ, these same Nigerians will not claim that it is being selective because OBJ and Yar'Adua are no more in league. Real nonsense talk some people are talking here.

WORD, WORD!! denex

I agree with you intoto, though for the first time grin
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by narcissus(m): 5:02pm On Jul 25, 2007
@angel101
I will, and gladly too. derogatory: disparaging, expressing a low opiniom of someone or something. By the way, it's an exchange of ideas, take it easy with the agressive tone. cool

@mckren
I live for contructive criticism. Will be waiting. By the way, i didn't scold angel101. I only disagreed with a certain part of her comment, not the whole mind you.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by ebos(m): 6:37pm On Jul 25, 2007
I wonder why some people are asking why EFCC has not arrested Ojukwu. Should Ojukwu be compared with those arrested? We all know that Ojukwu, after the civil war has not held any public office. Let us accept the simple truth. EFCC is trying and at the same time, we know the same EFCC's war against corruption is selective. We must not rule out this. I support all the arrests as long as they will back it up with evidence. Again, I'm yet to know when EFCC was appointed to defend any person (Obasanjo). EFCC has told us to present any evidence that can nail Obasanjo and once we do that, Obasanjo will be arrested and has even gone as far as saying that Obasanjo is not corrupt. We are yet to see the result of the National ID Card despite billions of naira that was budgeted for it. There are many allegations against Obasanjo, yet Obasanjo has not been invited for interrogation. We also know that Orji Kalu was arrested without any evidence. Finally, I support EFCC in its fight against corruption believing that those who think they are free today will one day be brought to book. Let them continue with those available now.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by McKren(m): 6:47pm On Jul 25, 2007
narcsissus

I dont want to bore anyone with intricaces of Change and Innovation Management or Bussiness process improvement. But the point is you DICTUM does not apply in this situation and was quoted out of context.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by angel101(f): 6:53pm On Jul 25, 2007
Thanks McKren. U saved me the effort.
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by abelix(m): 6:55pm On Jul 25, 2007
just you wait and see what this yar adua would do you d be amazed at the things he has up his sleeve
i do not hold his brief but his records is amazing
Re: A Sweet Wind Of Change Is Blowing In Nigeria! by IykeD1(m): 9:03pm On Jul 25, 2007

or those of you that reject these cases the EFCC has now just because it has not arraigned all the governors at the same time, you can as well tell the police to stop arresting armed robbers if they know they cannot arrest all the armed robbers at the same time.

Where is Lucky Igbinedion going to run to? Who needs to pursue him? At the appointed time, it is Lucky that will submit himself to the EFCC.

Those of you that keep saying selective justice, where were you when EFCC raided the office of Transcorp on account of illicit shareholding? You people will not see that. But when they raid ABTI University, you will see Nigerians talking about selective justice. Why have they not Selected Buhari or is he a staunch PDP Loyalist in disguise? Why have they not jailed Ojukwu? PDP Double agent?

Now, that was the money quote of the day. I have said many times that since people are suggesting that EFCC be disbanded on account of their
selectivity, we might as well squash the police, judiciary, etc as these organizations have been selective in their actions at one point or the other.
It is most unfair to arrest an arm robber from Delta when all the arm robbers in Nigeria are yet to be arrested at once, right? Brilliant indeed! ! !

Finally, who told you the EFCC raided Transcorp, how can a company that OBJ is alleged to own 200million or 600million shares be disturbed by the
EFCC? Bottom line if the news is favorable to OBJ, then the EFCC must be selective. Talk about "selective" perception! ! !

Finally,it looks like SUN Newspapers has come under new management until further notice - the EFCC Inc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari Incapable Of Ruling A Democratic State, Has A Dark Past – Edwin Clark / Black Marketers Take Over As Filling Stations Run Dry Of Fuel / Photos From Osun State ‘pick Your PVC Rally’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.